Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

X_Toad posted:

Nah, she will lose in a fight against her grandson in a power armor.
Her grandson's a pencil pusher, if she's going down it's because she took on an army of power armor soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This is Toph. Platinum or not, going up against her whilst encased in metal seems like the awfullest of awful ideas.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

This is Toph. Platinum or not, going up against her whilst encased in metal seems like the awfullest of awful ideas.

Which is what almost everyone wants to see. I don't care about Toph vs Kuvira, I want Toph vs the World.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Actually, the more I consider the Earth Empire security wall, the more I wonder what the point of it is. I mean, this is the Earth Empire. Odds are, it's going to take any potential refugees a quarter-hour at most to build a ramp over it.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Or collapse a section of it that's in the middle of nowhere. Bolin could probably just have melted the ground under the wall a couple miles away from that checkpoint. But that wouldn't have been as entertaining as seeing Varrick macgyver an EMP device.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kassad posted:

Or collapse a section of it that's in the middle of nowhere. Bolin could probably just have melted the ground under the wall a couple miles away from that checkpoint. But that wouldn't have been as entertaining as seeing Varrick macgyver an EMP device.

I'm sure he doesn't even need to use lava, earthbend under or over it. Clean up what you've left and nobody will ever know.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Golden Goat posted:

Can we go back to how Toph's going to lose against Kuvira's army or something?
I hope they don't kill off Yoda.

:negative:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Don't be silly. They'll only take her down. :v:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
She could dark of old age.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kassad posted:

Don't be silly. They'll only take her down. :v:

Or off-camera her. Like all the others.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Golden Goat posted:

I'm sure he doesn't even need to use lava, earthbend under or over it. Clean up what you've left and nobody will ever know.

That actually reminds me: When has an earthbender ever cleaned up after the fact? :v: I mean, we see Korra tearing up roads when she's pursuing enemies, but never going back and undoing it once they're captured.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Regalingualius posted:

That actually reminds me: When has an earthbender ever cleaned up after the fact? :v: I mean, we see Korra tearing up roads when she's pursuing enemies, but never going back and undoing it once they're captured.

Sounds like a job for Damage Control™.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Toshimo posted:

Sounds like a job for Damage Control™.

what's interesting is that when people earthbend to stop a car, the earth moves as an extension of themselves and causes a whole mess of damage to the street to catch the car. Why not just earthbend the section you need to disable the car quickly?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Those people never really got the hang of earthbending.

:smug:

Jackard fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 17, 2014

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

what's interesting is that when people earthbend to stop a car, the earth moves as an extension of themselves and causes a whole mess of damage to the street to catch the car. Why not just earthbend the section you need to disable the car quickly?

Looks less cool.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I think good bending is supposed to be really difficult, so that would be like asking "why don't cops just shoot out the four tyres of a car immediately and not deal with collateral damage?"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Namarrgon posted:

I think good bending is supposed to be really difficult, so that would be like asking "why don't cops just shoot out the four tyres of a car immediately and not deal with collateral damage?"

Wait a second, why don't the cops just tear the cars apart though?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

I think that's exactly it: as an extension of themselves. Most basic bending moves always happen either in direct vicinity/contact to the guy doing it, or they are connected to them somehow. You've got earthbenders raising walls, but they're usually nearby; and even Kuvira, who's done all that fancy metal sheet kungfu, always shot the metal beforehand and kept on moving it - she never, say, picked up another metal sheet that dropped to the ground twenty meters away. That's pretty much the key difference between bending and element-specific telekinesis, I guess.

Of course, that pretty much falls apart with several instances of lavabending (or perhaps Ghazan could move the lava underground?) and earthbending (when they suckerpunch people with suddenly raised pillars, while being nowhere near said pillar themselves). Maybe that's a tad more lenient since, well, it's earth, they're usually connected to it; as if the bending "travelled" through the medium, I guess... Similar to how Korra dropped that wall on the evil waterbender chancellor in S1, she touched the wall first, too. And the Avatar state, I guess, though you could just say they're getting such a huge boost of power that distance barely matters.

What I'm trying to say is, Magical Kung-Fu > Element Telekinesis.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
For real though Varrick/Zhu Li is the only couple I ship and I hope they get back together, preferably via Zhu Li doing a thing and planning to betray Kuvira the entire time.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

RareAcumen posted:

Wait a second, why don't the cops just tear the cars apart though?

The people in the car would keep moving at 50mph (or whatever) even as the car fell to pieces under them. It wouldn't be pretty.

Edit: Of course, making the car crash isn't great either but earthbending shows that people in the Avatar universe are very resistant to blunt force trauma!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

JT Jag posted:

For real though Varrick/Zhu Li is the only couple I ship and I hope they get back together, preferably via Zhu Li doing a thing and planning to betray Kuvira the entire time.
I also hope Zhu Li is playing Kuvira, it's the perfect setup

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kassad posted:

The people in the car would keep moving at 50mph (or whatever) even as the car fell to pieces under them. It wouldn't be pretty.

Edit: Of course, making the car crash isn't great either but earthbending shows that people in the Avatar universe are very resistant to blunt force trauma!

In a show that showed injuries consistently, yeah maybe. In this one they'd just roll around a lot and pass out. Of course, they could also just bend the wheels off and peel the car open after it skids to a stop.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jackard posted:

I also hope Zhu Li is playing Kuvira, it's the perfect setup

They did a really good job of setting it up so that it really could go either way.
I assume/hope that she's still ultimately loyal to Varrick (even though he doesn't really deserve her loyalty).

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'd love to see the backstory for Varrick and Zhu Li, how they met and all that.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'd love to see the backstory for Varrick and Zhu Li, how they met and all that.

I would love if it was a five second flashback with Varrick saying: "You're hired!".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

They did a really good job of setting it up so that it really could go either way.
I assume/hope that she's still ultimately loyal to Varrick (even though he doesn't really deserve her loyalty).
To me, the two of them seem to match the symptoms of interdependency. Zhu Li feels that her purpose is to help a creative, brilliant mind achieve its goals to the fullest. She probably thinks of herself as a muse, not a menial worker or assistant. Meanwhile, Varrick is brilliant, but physically incapable. He needs a pair of hands, as well as someone to keep him focused.

Is it the healthiest sort of relationship? Not really. But they're perfect for eachother.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

JT Jag posted:

To me, the two of them seem to match the symptoms of interdependency. Zhu Li feels that her purpose is to help a creative, brilliant mind achieve its goals to the fullest. She probably thinks of herself as a muse, not a menial worker or assistant. Meanwhile, Varrick is brilliant, but physically incapable. He needs a pair of hands, as well as someone to keep him focused.

Is it the healthiest sort of relationship? Not really. But they're perfect for eachother.

Yeah, I'd agree with all of that, which is why I ultimately hope that she's still loyal to him... I just hope that Varrick's main character growth over this season is learning to be a bit more grateful for/respectful of Zhu Li on a day-to-day basis.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, I'd agree with all of that, which is why I ultimately hope that she's still loyal to him... I just hope that Varrick's main character growth over this season is learning to be a bit more grateful for/respectful of Zhu Li on a day-to-day basis.
I think it's heading in that direction.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I want the culmination of that relationship to be Zhu Li shouting "Varrick! Do the thing!"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Kurui Reiten posted:

I want the culmination of that relationship to be Zhu Li shouting "Varrick! Do the thing!"
In bed.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just caught up, but please keep complaining about the thread title, it's really funny.

This is a good thread, keep on posting.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Kassad posted:

Or collapse a section of it that's in the middle of nowhere. Bolin could probably just have melted the ground under the wall a couple miles away from that checkpoint.
Didn't the escapees say that the wall was regularly patrolled on its entire length?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kassad posted:

Seasoned Earthbenders manning the guard stations would likely be trained to sense any major damage/bending done to/under the wall OH GOD WHY AM I EXPLAINING THE MECHANICS OF BENDING ITS THE loving PLOT GET OVER IT.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Kassad posted:

Bolin has gotten really good at using the lava powers, to the point that somehow he's become one of the most combat-competent characters in the show (poo poo no one would have said even last season), but I don't think he's really gotten to the "creative usage" step yet. He just pulls it out when he's already in danger, he's not gonna make a plan centered around his new skills. Bolin has never really been the plan type.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

X_Toad posted:

Didn't the escapees say that the wall was regularly patrolled on its entire length?

I wonder how many earthbenders with seismic sensing abilities they'd need along the wall to be able to sense any disruption over the length of it.

Edit: beaten.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style

JT Jag posted:

Bolin has gotten really good at using the lava powers, to the point that somehow he's become one of the most combat-competent characters in the show (poo poo no one would have said even last season), but I don't think he's really gotten to the "creative usage" step yet. He just pulls it out when he's already in danger, he's not gonna make a plan centered around his new skills. Bolin has never really been the plan type.

Bolin probably got military combat training when he joined up with Kuvira. As far as the creative aspect of his bending, I agree he needs to hit that point with his earthbending but honestly I can only think of two plans for lava, maybe I'm not creative enough lol, "BURN THEM ALL!!" and "BURN EVERYTHING AROUND!" ya know so they run away. I'd like to see just how devastating his Lavabending has gotten though, Ghazan took out one of Ba Sing Se's walls by himself with it.

One thing I noticed last season and I don't know if it is a rule for lavabending or not is that once that lava starts going you need someone to tell it to stop. Season 3 Ghazan unleashed a lot of lava but it seems like it wasn't even thinking about cooling down one bit. The only part of the flow at the temple that stopped was from Bolin bending it the rest just spread and heated up the rest of the mountain/temple till they just melted off the face of the planet. Lavabending is so awesomely devastating but I can't help but feel you run into JongJong's dilemma with firebending so I imagine anyone who can lava bend and isn't trying to kill people probably very rarely play that card (maybe he can take some waterbending lessons from Korra to learn how to fling it around all fancy but why bother when you can just splash them with a wave and melt them).

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Well when I said creative usage I really meant "he doesn't even think about applying lavabending except in self defense." Which is probably a good thing in order to keep casualties down because lavabending is loving horrifying, but it keeps him from going out of his way to think of applications for his lavabending, like assaulting the walls of a checkpoint with it instead of trying to go through the gate.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

X_Toad posted:

Right, but earthbenders can create roads fast. Every basic mook and their pet badgermole can instantly form ramps out of the ground, and from there it's just a matter of repeating the process until you have one big enough. After a certain point, there are some problems you can't fix without switching out the regular patrols for permanent postings along that entire length.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

JT Jag posted:

like assaulting the walls of a checkpoint with it instead of trying to go through the gate.
But then they couldn't do the funny wanted poster gag again

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I just can't wait till Kuvira is killed off next episode to get on to the REAL big bad of this season. MELON LORD!

• Locked thread