Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

db franco posted:

Really? Note 4 over Nexus 6? It's not even close, is it?

Better performance and build quality on the phone, from what I've been reading..

I've played with a Note 4 at Sprint and it seemed kinda clunky.

I played around with a Note 4 recently as well and had the exact opposite impression. It feels like a really solid device. The meh N6 reviews are making me reconsider it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Note 4 has a screen that just pops. It's the best smartphone screen. The camera is the best on Android. Removable battery and sd slot are things to consider. The lollipop renders are out too and they make touchwiz look okay. Still can't stand all the loving useless features Samsung bakes in.

I like my N9 a lot. It's easy to hold with one hand and light. Build quality isn't an issue cause after a day it's just a screen in my hand. I don't notice anything else. I know the software bugs will be fixed in the coming months.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Decius posted:

Really love mine despite the light-bleed.

I love mine and I only noticed the light bleed because of this thread.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Isn't there an OTA out now that is fixing most of the software/performance issues?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Isn't there an OTA out now that is fixing most of the software/performance issues?

For the N9? In my experience yes. Dramatic improvement. Good luck installing it if you don't have developer tools setup though because the last OTA screwed things up to the point where the new OTA won't install.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Just flashed the N5 OTA, so I'm all set. :getin:

I REALLY want this to be good. I liked my N7 in every way except the aspect ratio, and if the keyboard case isn't garbage, this could nicely replace my Chromebook.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Just flashed the N5 OTA, so I'm all set. :getin:

I REALLY want this to be good. I liked my N7 in every way except the aspect ratio, and if the keyboard case isn't garbage, this could nicely replace my Chromebook.

Yeah, so for the N9 you either either need to just flash the system image that google posted or track down the previous image. extract the recovery.img file from it and flash the recovery. Then you can sideload the OTA.

The first OTA the N9 got was LRX21L. However, it neglected to flash the recovery partition to LRX21L. So, when LRX21Q goes to install, it sees that recovery is still LFW73W and aborts.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 15, 2014

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

5436 posted:

Note 4 has a screen that just pops. It's the best smartphone screen. The camera is the best on Android. Removable battery and sd slot are things to consider. The lollipop renders are out too and they make touchwiz look okay. Still can't stand all the loving useless features Samsung bakes in.

Yeah that screen was my first and most lasting impression. I'm ready for a slightly larger screen to consume more media and read poo poo. is it pretty easy to circumvent the useless bloatware? As simple as it was for my s3?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is the N9 update still hosed? I'd love to download it but really don't want to mess with bootloaders or whatever I know nothing about.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

hotsauce posted:

Ended up returning my N9 to Best Buy and got an open box 10.5 Tab S 32 gig for $389 (haggled with manager like I always do). I know, Samsung but drat if the SAMOLED screen and non 4:3 isn't incredible. Blacks are pure #00000. No stock 5.0 but at this point I don't care. The screen on this thing is pure butter.

Might even violate my religion and get a Note 4 as well.

You can haggle at BB w/managers? Usually for big box retailers they will stick to the policy and say nothing they can do about prices.

I got a pre-owned N7 2013 32GB. I didn't think the Nvidia Shield tablet will go on sale for BF :sigh:

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Will all models on Lollipop get the 'personalised locking' thing - Lock screen disabled when you're at a home location? Or is that a N9 feature only?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Slimchandi posted:

Will all models on Lollipop get the 'personalised locking' thing - Lock screen disabled when you're at a home location? Or is that a N9 feature only?

It's a feature of Lollipop, all devices should be able to do that (I configured my tablets to disable locking when they see my Bluetooth speaker).

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
The n9 might be the slowest charging device I've ever used. It is kind of ridiculous.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ChiTownEddie posted:

The n9 might be the slowest charging device I've ever used. It is kind of ridiculous.

My iPad 4 gives it a run for the money, even with the 12W-iPad-Charger. Those near 12 Ah take their time (nearly 6h to be exact). The Nexus 9 takes a bit over 4h compared to it.

Decius fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 15, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

ChiTownEddie posted:

Yeah another reason I took mine back, although it's really just a fact of life with big batteries. They certainly could have provided a better charger that gives more current though.

Also if anyone wants an N9 it looks like they're a lightning deal at Amazon right now for $350. Deal goes until 11pm EST or until all claimed. It doesn't look like they're selling super fast (43% claimed now after a few hours): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M6UC5B4

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Do Best Buys have N9 displays out?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Decius posted:

My iPad 4 gives it a run for the money, even with the 12W-iPad-Charger. Those near 12 Ah take their time (nearly 6h to be exact). The Nexus 9 takes a bit over 4h compared to it.

I connected it to a cheap usb charger, like a knock off Apple one, that only outputs less than 1A of power, and after a couple hours the charger was ready to melt.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Do Best Buys have N9 displays out?

Mine has a retuned open box on display.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
One here has an N9 on display. The other has an N7, incorrectly labeled as an N9.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

G-Prime posted:

One here has an N9 on display. The other has an N7, incorrectly labeled as an N9.

Hmm ask to see if it's possible to buy the "N9" for a lower price?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Hmm ask to see if it's possible to buy the "N9" for a lower price?
It sounds like they'd sell you a Nexus 7 for the price of a Nexus 9.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
They didn't actually have any out for purchase anyway. Pretty sure they just had the tag out there to indicate they'd been received and where to put them whenever they go to stock things.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Alder posted:

You can haggle at BB w/managers? Usually for big box retailers they will stick to the policy and say nothing they can do about prices.
Highly depends. Some stores will give an insta-no, but the one by me is reasonable. The manager is a cool guy and likes to deal on open box items. They frequently have a sign on the cage that says "extra 20% off all open box - TODAY ONLY." The sign will stay up for weeks. Recently, it's not been up, but I just asked if they were "still running the 20% extravaganza" and the guy checked with the manager and came back with "we'll give ya an extra 10% - that good?"

I just ask for the hell of it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Getting a $549 Tab S that was marked to $429, then getting an extra 10%? All day long purchase. This summer I got a fully maxed out 15" rMBP (16/512/latest gen) for like $1,680. Felt criminal.

So, if you see an open box cage, just be kind and ask. The answer will most always be no, but it's worth a try, IMO. After all, you can pay 10% less for every new item in the store by simply getting a mover's guide from the post office. Never pay full price if you can avoid it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

hotsauce posted:

Highly depends. Some stores will give an insta-no, but the one by me is reasonable. The manager is a cool guy and likes to deal on open box items. They frequently have a sign on the cage that says "extra 20% off all open box - TODAY ONLY." The sign will stay up for weeks. Recently, it's not been up, but I just asked if they were "still running the 20% extravaganza" and the guy checked with the manager and came back with "we'll give ya an extra 10% - that good?"

I just ask for the hell of it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Getting a $549 Tab S that was marked to $429, then getting an extra 10%? All day long purchase. This summer I got a fully maxed out 15" rMBP (16/512/latest gen) for like $1,680. Felt criminal.

So, if you see an open box cage, just be kind and ask. The answer will most always be no, but it's worth a try, IMO. After all, you can pay 10% less for every new item in the store by simply getting a mover's guide from the post office. Never pay full price if you can avoid it.

I've never gotten a good answer, what's the status of warranties on Best Buy open box? Does it start on the original sale date?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

I've never gotten a good answer, what's the status of warranties on Best Buy open box? Does it start on the original sale date?

It should be like any other warranty, starts on the day of when you buy it. Doesn't matter if it has been bought before.

Edit: mixed up what you meant. I thought you meant the Geek Squad warranty.

Manufacturer for serial specific I'm not sure on.

uapyro fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 16, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Depends on the product. Apple stuff is warranted by serial, regardless of the individual buyer. My Tab S is under warranty for the next 11.5 months, for example (so it was sold and returned as new 2 weeks ago). Just depends on the manufacturer, but I've never bought an open box that didn't carry a manufacturer warranty. Even Amazon Warehouse Deal items (used, returns) have manufacturers warranties from my experience. Hell, a 5th hand HTC One M7 I bought was fixed by HTC, zero questions asked because the serial had 2 weeks left on the yr warranty (purple tint).

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005

Decius posted:

It's a feature of Lollipop, all devices should be able to do that (I configured my tablets to disable locking when they see my Bluetooth speaker).

I can't see it in my N10 settings, where does it hide?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slimchandi posted:

I can't see it in my N10 settings, where does it hide?

Settings -> Security -> Smart unlock

Annoyingly I cannot set the same Moto 360 to unlock my tablets and my phone. Because it is paired with my phone it isn't visible to the other devices.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I just flashed the factory 5.0 image to my 2013 N7 with the included script (so full fresh start). What's a typical first boot taking most people in this situation, with precompiling etc? It's been sitting on the boot animation for like 45 minutes or so. Should I hard reset at a certain point if it doesn't get further?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

sirbeefalot posted:

I just flashed the factory 5.0 image to my 2013 N7 with the included script (so full fresh start). What's a typical first boot taking most people in this situation, with precompiling etc? It's been sitting on the boot animation for like 45 minutes or so. Should I hard reset at a certain point if it doesn't get further?

I had the same problem. I had to do a cache and data wipe from the stock recovery which fixed it. The first boot still takes around 20 minutes though.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005

Tunga posted:

Annoyingly I cannot set the same Moto 360 to unlock my tablets and my phone. Because it is paired with my phone it isn't visible to the other devices.

Ah, I only see Trusted Devices and Trusted Face, is there something extra on yours?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slimchandi posted:

Ah, I only see Trusted Devices and Trusted Face, is there something extra on yours?
Trusted devices is what you want, that does Bluetooth (or NFC).

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Tunga posted:

I like the idea of this feature, it bugs me greatly that you can't set it to be unlocked when connected to your home wifi though.

Unrelated, is there anything running stock android that's the same form factor as the N10 worth getting? It still runs greatfor the most past but even with 5.0 on i think it's showing its age.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

lostleaf posted:

I had the same problem. I had to do a cache and data wipe from the stock recovery which fixed it. The first boot still takes around 20 minutes though.

This is what I ended up doing. Really enjoying it so far, and missing GravityBox less than I thought I would be.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Just sideloaded Android L to my 2012 N7. It's still optimizing apps, what questions do people have?

EDIT: at first I can confirm it kept all my apps and settings on an unrooted, locked device and runs about as quick.

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 17, 2014

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
That's enough, Google. Push me the 2013 N7 OTA.

:sigh:

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Since there's been some OTA Lollipop chat recently, I had just downloaded the SDK/eclipse and such onto my newish laptop and was preparing to sideload Lollipop onto my Nexus 5 today since I'm tired of waiting.

Well, google just pushed me the update OTA and it's installing now.

edit: still haven't seen it on my original Nexus 7.

beerinator fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 17, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

FistEnergy posted:

That's enough, Google. Push me the 2013 N7 OTA.

:sigh:

I considered sideloading it but you know I could always wait and save myself the hassle of any potential problems for it.

I'm still working on getting Win7 to recognize my tablet w/proper drivers set up too.

db franco
Jul 14, 2014
I have cyanogenmod running on my N5 .. am I still able to load lollipop? Is there a public img available somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

db franco posted:

I have cyanogenmod running on my N5 .. am I still able to load lollipop? Is there a public img available somewhere?

You can either wait for CM to roll L into their OS or you can just say gently caress it and flash the stock image and be done with root/ROM shenanigans.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images