Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder

Nages posted:

I think we all know who will be showing up in this game.

The return of Doofy Ghost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nages posted:

Yoshida? Plz be Yoshida...

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

her name is yoshika, please resign as 2hu megathread op

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Why would you want a character that isn't Kogasa in a game about ghosts and/or urban myths? Also, hopefully Bakebakes are coming back, they're great.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nages posted:

reimu, hopefully

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Ryza posted:

The return of Doofy Ghost?

ElMaligno posted:

A Meat posted:

Why would you want a character that isn't Kogasa in a game about ghosts and/or urban myths? Also, hopefully Bakebakes are coming back, they're great.

Namtab posted:

reimu, hopefully

All these and more friends. Be ready for Touhou 14.5.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Can't Yuugi control ghosts or something vaguely defined?

She should show up again.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Nages posted:

what an uncryptic cryptic hint that confirms that touhou 14.5 is the sonic x 2hu crossover that i've everyone's been waiting for my their whole life

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Well, it would be pretty surprising for Kogasa to not show up in the game about spooky stuff. But really, I'm digging the "seven mysteries of the school" thing the cover's got going on. Though I don't know how urban legends propagate in a land without urban centers.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nages posted:

we aren't friends.

We're nakama.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

A Meat posted:

what is a bakebake

do you mean a doofy ghost

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Nages posted:

Mima confirmed

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

BlitzBlast posted:

what is a bakebake

do you mean a doofy ghost

i think?

they're those cute ghosts that are the fairies of the PC-98 games

doofy ghost is a better name though

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's canon

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

ProfessorProf posted:

Mima confirmed

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Nages posted:

Shinki, and Rin Satsuki?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Speaking of games, I'm working on a Touhou themed game as a class assignment (originally supposed to be a 3D asteroids clone but I felt Danmaku was close enough to try that instead) and its probably going to be crap as fan games go and never get pass the prototype stage but I would like some input about my inputs, which would you consider to be more "fun".

Free form 3D movement.
WASD/Left Analog stick for short "dash" movements to dodge bullets.
Mouse/Right analog stick to control direction.
Left Click/Right Trigger for your own bullets.
Right Click/A Button for your own bullets.

Or
"Limited" Movement (You are always facing forward so no "turning")
WASD/Left Analog stick for "normal" movement similar to the original games.
Mouse/Right analog stick to control camera a little like in a flight sim.
Left Click/Right Trigger for your own bullets.
Right Click/A Button for your own bullets.

[This would be more similar to Zelda with Link moving around the target]

Or some other suggestion?

I think gameplay would most closely resemble that one level from Star Fox 64 where you had the giant spaceship in the middle of an open environment and you doing hit and run attacks on it; since it after all as an assignment has to loosely resemble Asteroids.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
For the second set, would it be a fixed reticle or would the mouse control aim as well?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I hate freedom, so I would prefer the second set of controls.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

I think a mix of both would be fun. You said how the second example is kinda like locking on in Zelda and I thought that you could use the first set of controls normally and lock on to something to use the second set of controls. I'm not too sure about how your game will work, though, so this might not be possible.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

brave nazi aviator posted:

For the second set, would it be a fixed reticle or would the mouse control aim as well?

For the second set it'd be closer to how it works in the original games; Marisa shoots straight ahead and Reimu's (if I get around to her) would home in on the currently locked target.

Widdiful posted:

I think a mix of both would be fun. You said how the second example is kinda like locking on in Zelda and I thought that you could use the first set of controls normally and lock on to something to use the second set of controls. I'm not too sure about how your game will work, though, so this might not be possible.

Its certainly possible, I hadn't thought of it, I suppose there's no reason to not have both. It is just a matter of time, minor scripting and figuring out which button would be work as the targeting mode button (Probably right bumper).

The original idea was to have it play like starfox or like Zelda (but in the air); as you say both is actually probably ideal and its not hard to implement.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Forbidden Scrollery chapters 20 and 21 out! Reader. Wiki.

In which we follow the troubles of Hieda no Akyuu, homeowner. Also there's some kind of major incident going on in the background that will be revealed in WaHH 24 (which was published in the same month). Stay tuned!

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
With all the things about rats and tigers, I was expecting Nazrin and Shou to be mentioned.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

With all the things about rats and tigers, I was expecting Nazrin and Shou to be mentioned.

Honestly, the fact that Forbidden Scrollery ignores the usual stuff in favour of traditional youkai designs is probably the biggest reason I like it. I was kinda hoping for Seiga to show up after the talk of a wicked hermit from China, though.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
ancient japanese cat macros

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
:catdrugs: :catdrugs: :catdrugs:

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

Honestly, the fact that Forbidden Scrollery ignores the usual stuff in favour of traditional youkai designs is probably the biggest reason I like it. I was kinda hoping for Seiga to show up after the talk of a wicked hermit from China, though.

The thing that got me is that the tiger that they talked about was essentially Shou, as it was a picture of a tiger made in a society where noone had seen a tiger (althogh they did say that the monk painting the pictures probably had seen one, being from China and all).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So, that Sealing Club Anime had its first episode premiere in China a few days ago and it will be released in Japan next week, which is probably when it will get leaked online. More importantly, the creators have said they plan on making 12 20 minute episodes, which has lowered my confidence on them seeing this project to completion as I doubt they'll get enough money to continue for 11 more episodes just from fan sales.

Also, I haven't actually seen anybody's opinions on seeing the 1st episode so who know how good it was. If anyone knows more about the actual episode itself, i'd be interested in hearing if it's any good at least.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've noticed that Fantasy Maiden Wars 3 is up to version 1.1.1.1 in their patches. The last update I applied was 1.02. They posted a zip with the 1.01-to-1.1.1.1 patch, but it's giving me an error of "unable to open udm file" when I try to run it. I think it's got something to do with the zip file they posted it in, because the log text that comes in the zip has garbled text on my computer. I've had issues with garbled files when people with Japanese OSes send me zips to my US OS in the past.

So, does anyone have the correct patch EXE and logfile they could share?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You're probably going to have to switch to a japanese locale to run the patch, honestly. If you want I can upload the latest .dat files, but the whole thing is like 743 MB.

Also you've missed out on a lot! There's a lot more dialogue, some plot events have changed (most noticeably Reimu's upgrade, which literally has her casually stroll out of the ship now before wreaking havoc), animations have been edited and dynamic kills added, bonuses changed, new UI stuff, and readjusted bosses. Oh, and bug fixes. It's not exactly a brand new game, but it's really different from launch.

EDIT: Oh and NG+ works now.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 21, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

You're probably going to have to switch to a japanese locale to run the patch, honestly. If you want I can upload the latest .dat files, but the whole thing is like 743 MB.

Also you've missed out on a lot! There's a lot more dialogue, some plot events have changed (most noticeably Reimu's upgrade, which literally has her casually stroll out of the ship now before wreaking havoc), animations have been edited and dynamic kills added, bonuses changed, new UI stuff, and readjusted bosses. Oh, and bug fixes. It's not exactly a brand new game, but it's really different from launch.

EDIT: Oh and NG+ works now.

I think patch 1.10 was officially "launch", technically. That's when they started selling it outside conventions, and when they lifted the restrictions on showing gameplay videos online. The earlier versions were more like an early access open beta. This latest one is supposedly the final patch though, before they start redirecting their efforts to new projects.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

BlitzBlast posted:

The system locale fix did it. I did that for the previous patches, but I forgot I was on a fresh OS with this PC where I hadn't set the locale. :shobon:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

BlitzBlast posted:

When the hell was another full episode of Memories of Phantasm announced? :psyduck:

So the second part of this came out. It's actually a remarkable improvement over the first part, and for that matter the first Memories of Phantasm. Animation's great, music's great, and tons of nifty stuff going on in the background. Fight scenes are pretty rad too; this time only one fight was resolved off camera!

Though really, the Yakumo scenes did not have to exist.

No silly Meiling shot, absolute trash finale.

They still can't animate danmaku fights very well, but there was some nice melee scenes. All-in-all kind of lame compared to the second part, though Reimu's random rear end spirit bomb was pretty great.

EDIT: I wonder if somebody will try voicing this now that the whole thing's out.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 26, 2014

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

cant wait to see which 2hus they give huge knockers this time

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

PC Gamer ran an article about Touhou

Pretty fun read, if CLEARLY wrong about the PC-98 games being inferior with unmemorable music. FM synthesis is best, and ZUN should still be using it :colbert:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

EoSD’s memorable, orchestral soundtrack was, like many aspects of the series, atypical for the genre, but nearly every song made the best of its synthesized pianos, strings, and horns.

uh huh

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People should stop trying to adapt the plots of the Touhou games, because they will always be far less strangely charming than the original.
Also, they will fail to make the plot as interesting as FMW does.

On a similar note, the full OP of the sealing club animation is out. It's pretty much the same as the old one but there's a little extra.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Man, what would even be a decent premise for an engaging touhou fan animation? Everyone sitting around and drinking before engaging in charades and party games?

Guess that's still better than K-on, at least.

a cartoon duck posted:

My money's on all of them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

Man, what would even be a decent premise for an engaging touhou fan animation? Everyone sitting around and drinking before engaging in charades and party games?

Guess that's still better than K-on, at least.

Next Touhou fanime should just be an adaption of the 3 fairies mangas. Would likely be more entertaining than all the previous attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

a cartoon duck posted:

Unzan. Or Captain Murasa- call 'em floatation devices :v:

Man, I can't understand a lick of Japanese, but drat if I didn't enjoy it! Anyone know what the names of the featured songs were? That mashup of Remilia's and Flandre's themes at the beginning was bloody awesome, and that arrange of Meiling's theme at the end :circlefap: