Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

I find myself irrationally hoping for some sudden season-ending injury to Ales Hemsky so that I can justify my strong desire to drop his sorry rear end. Nearly a PPG with Spezza in Ottawa to end last season, both go to Dallas and he has one assist.

I blame Lindy Ruff.

Also, he's not playing with Spezza anymore. I think it's safe to drop him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Koth posted:

Also, he's not playing with Spezza anymore. I think it's safe to drop him.

Ruff's been faking me out by making noise in the media saying that he's going to get 1st unit PP time and that he needs to get him more ice time because he's playing well despite the lack of scoring. Except then he plays him 12 minutes lol.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Fuckin Dallas, I thought they'd be better so I picked up Lehtonen. So far my FA pickup Kuemper has been outperforming him in every way. Even Reimer has been decent for me (when he plays).

I blame Ruff. And Carlyle, always Carlyle. gently caress you randy!! :argh:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, betting on Dallas to take a step forward this year was a pretty big mistake on my part.

lol the NHL starting lines site has Hemsky on Spezza's wing tonight. gently caress you Lindyyyyy!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Many thanks to Chicago for shelling the hell out of Price last night. It's still in doubt but there is a slight chance I can win in a goaltending category or two this week

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Thinking about dropping Semin and picking up either Clarke MacArthur or Pascal Dupuis. Anyone have any thoughts?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dupuis has REALLY tailed off lately, I have him and it has been disappointing.

Ditto Plekanec and Pacioretty, the Habs are really shatting la bed lately.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hemsky is at best a 40-50 pt guy anyway over a full season. Dump him.

I'm getting wrecked in one of my keeper pools - 14/14. It would be fine if I had my draft pick (McDavid ahoy) but I lost it due to a penalty last year. Sigh. More money down the drain.

In our one year pool I'm wrecking it though. I waited on goalies and grabbed Miller in the middle, and Hiller with my last pick. Astute.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
There were a few guys that I picked in most of my pools, and all of those guys haven't done what I expected from them.

The only pool I am winning is by proxy. I drafted all of the players for my friend (one of those drafts where you get five options, you pick one) in a league where goals are comically overvalued. She is currently in first, only a few points ahead of second place, but both of them are distancing themselves from the rest. She told me the prize was a few hundred dollars, but it turns out there's 58 people in the pool, so I think first place stands to win around $700. At least I will get a dinner :/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Statsny is back tonight apparently so if anyone in your pools dropped him it might be a slick move to scoop him up.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Twin Cinema posted:

There were a few guys that I picked in most of my pools, and all of those guys haven't done what I expected from them.

The only pool I am winning is by proxy. I drafted all of the players for my friend (one of those drafts where you get five options, you pick one) in a league where goals are comically overvalued. She is currently in first, only a few points ahead of second place, but both of them are distancing themselves from the rest. She told me the prize was a few hundred dollars, but it turns out there's 58 people in the pool, so I think first place stands to win around $700. At least I will get a dinner :/

Pretty sure you should split that cash

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Technetium posted:

Pretty sure you should split that cash

Well, if we win, she is going to take me and my girlfriend (along with her boyfriend) out for dinner. I plan on getting my fair share of that money!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I am playing Fantasy Hockey for the first time in my life (Yahoo, Head to Head scoring), and I'm lucky enough to be playing in a league with people who know gently caress all about hockey (they usually do NFL). Luckily we started in Week 2, so I was able to pre-rank some players (literally nobody else did) and pick some guys who were obviously doing very well (guys like Rick Nash).

I'm leading after 2 games, just. And I'm a little bit lost really with how to go about things. All I'm really doing is just making sure that I get as many people into games as possible every day. I've dropped a couple of players who were a little poo poo and picked up some players who are on fire at the moment, hopefully they won't stop being on fire (Tarasenko for one).

Sometimes I'll bench players who are playing a strong team if I think they won't do well in favour of players on the bench who are also playing that night if I think they have a better shot at doing well. I hate that I have bench players who are playing games but not getting points, though. I guess some nights (Saturdays) are like that.

So basically, after rambling on for 3 paragraphs, am I doing this right? Are there any good resources for the beginner player? I don't mind a bit of stats work but to me this whole thing seems like a bit of a gamble. But then, isn't all fantasy sports like that?

Edit: Also, you get 5 player adds each week. Do people really change their roster that much during the season?

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

thehustler posted:

Edit: Also, you get 5 player adds each week. Do people really change their roster that much during the season?

just t-bone :v:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Having Crosby and Hornqvist on the same team is pretty fuckin rad

deadEd
Feb 20, 2001

thehustler posted:

So basically, after rambling on for 3 paragraphs, am I doing this right? Are there any good resources for the beginner player? I don't mind a bit of stats work but to me this whole thing seems like a bit of a gamble. But then, isn't all fantasy sports like that?

Basically there's only 2 ways a player can actively hurt you by being played in fantasy hockey:

- Plus/Minus for skaters. If this isn't a category in your league, congrats, start skaters with impunity. Even if it is a category you should probably start them anyway unless they're Buffalo or something.
- GAA/save% for goalies. This one really only comes into play at the end of a head-to-head week, if you're well ahead on averages and don't need wins/saves (depending on what your league even scores of course), feel free to bench your goalies even if they're starting and take the categories.

Way more forgiving than baseball and especially football.

I was where you were at last year - was my first fantasy hockey leage in like, 10 years or so. Just keep it simple. Hang onto your studs, try to pick up guys that are hot (but if they're kind of fringe, don't be afraid to cut bait on them either and replace them with the next big thing). The best resource IMO is a site like http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/ , which gives you not only starting goalies for that day/next day's game, but gives you line combos/PP units for each team. That's an especially nice way to keep track of fringe/hot streak guys - if their performance earns them PP time they didn't have before, all the better. Did they go cold and get dropped down a line or two? Did the injury they were replacing come back? Time to cut and run. That sort of thing.

What you'll find is that at some point later on in the season, like Dec-Jan maybe, you'll be familiar enough with your team to know who the constant producers are and know who the expendable guys are. Don't be afraid to shuffle expendable guys around, especially if you're Head-to-Head and need to make up a small gap in a category to win a game you might otherwise lose. It'll feel way more natural after a while.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Having Crosby and Hornqvist on the same team is pretty fuckin rad

Someone in my league has Hornqvist, Kunitz, and Malkin. Another has Crosby and Letang.

It's dumb.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

deadEd thank you that helps a great deal. I should think about this in terms of winning categories that I may be behind on. I definitely see how some players aren't great in this kind of scoring.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

:o:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Speaking of T-Bone, oof, last week's LSL matchup started so well, and it even seemed like we'd more or less tie up until the end. Then you pretty much swept me on Sunday

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I'm in a FH league unaffiliated with SA, and I need some help with a trade.

Because the ESPN Fantasy hockey app sucks rear end, I had to auto-draft, and it left me with two legitimate starting goalies (Quick and Miller), which wouldn't be a problem if my team wasn't full of holes and 2 -3 on the year.

I'm looking to trade Miller, and have a willing recipient, but I'm at a loss as to what to ask from him, as he is the type to just keep offering me poo poo hoping that I'll accept it.

My team:
Nicklas Backstrom, Wsh C
Ryan Johansen, Cls C
Ryan Strome, NYI C
Thomas Vanek, Min LW, RW
Daniel Sedin, Van LW
James van Riemsdyk, Tor LW
Rick Nash, NYR LW, RW
Nikita Kucherov, TB RW

Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Ari D
Marek Zidlicky, NJ D
Justin Faulk, Car D
John Carlson, Wsh D
Justin Schultz, Edm D

Derek Stepan, NYR C
Tobias Enstrom, Wpg D
Anders Lee, NYI LW
Nail Yakupov, Edm RW
Dan Boyle*, NYR D  IR
Valeri Nichushkin*, Dal RW  IR

Jonathan Quick, LA G
Ryan Miller, Van G

His team:
David Backes, StL C
David Krejci, Bos C  DTD
Sean Monahan, Cgy C
Milan Lucic, Bos LW
Nick Foligno, Cls LW
Evander Kane, Wpg LW
Jarome Iginla, Col RW
Shane Doan, Ari RW
Elias Lindholm, Car C, RW

Radko Gudas, TB D
Sami Vatanen, Ana D
Dan Girardi, NYR D
Duncan Keith, Chi D
Brent Seabrook, Chi D
Jonathan Drouin, TB LW
Tyler Johnson, TB C
Keith Yandle, Ari D
Corey Perry*, Ana RW  IR
Brandon Dubinsky*, Cls C  IR

Antti Niemi, SJ G
Darcy Kuemper, Min G

I'm thinking about asking for Keith and for Drouin. Not sure...

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I have E. Kane and Skinner among my worst performing forwards so far. I'm winning in assists and +/- and ppp almost every week but goals are a tossup and I'm getting destroyed in PIM, hits, and faceoffs in general. I also have Hedman and Perry currently sitting on IR with Despres and Foligno as stop-gaps.

Would trading one/both away as an extra piece in an upgrade trade and then picking up Monahan or Roussel or Downie be a short-sighted reactionary move or a idea worth exploring?

Let me know if a full roster list or other info would be needed to give an informed opinion, thanks!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Kane was injured for a number of games as was Skinner, but Winnipeg looks more likely to produce points with Kane in the lineup, whereas Skinner was demoted to the 4th line on a poo poo team.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Since this was such a hot topic last time, it's time for another goalie question!!!!

I need to pick up a third goalie to backup Rinne and Elliot. My best options seem to be Anderson, Bernier, Luongo (ugh), and Ward (double ugh).

Even though the Canes are barely a team, Ward has been keeping them together recently. Any thoughts?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DeNofa posted:

Since this was such a hot topic last time, it's time for another goalie question!!!!

I need to pick up a third goalie to backup Rinne and Elliot. My best options seem to be Anderson, Bernier, Luongo (ugh), and Ward (double ugh).

Even though the Canes are barely a team, Ward has been keeping them together recently. Any thoughts?

What's your scoring like? Luongo's numbers have been really good and I don't know why people are so down on the guy. He won't get wins though because nobody on the Panthers can score.

Cam Ward is an illusion, his numbers are awful and so are the Canes.

Anderson is playing out of his mind, he's a good target to regress but it's not unthinkable that he could keep it up. Bernier's right around his career numbers so what you see is probaby what you get.

The Leafs allow way more shots than the Sens so that's something to consider if your league tracks those favourably.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

What's your scoring like? Luongo's numbers have been really good and I don't know why people are so down on the guy. He won't get wins though because nobody on the Panthers can score.

Cam Ward is an illusion, his numbers are awful and so are the Canes.

Anderson is playing out of his mind, he's a good target to regress but it's not unthinkable that he could keep it up. Bernier's right around his career numbers so what you see is probaby what you get.

The Leafs allow way more shots than the Sens so that's something to consider if your league tracks those favourably.

GAA, sv%, wins, shutouts.

Luuuuu and Ward are in the same boat. Teams are bad and it's not going to change. Bernier and Andy seem viable.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DeNofa posted:

GAA, sv%, wins, shutouts.

Luuuuu and Ward are in the same boat. Teams are bad and it's not going to change. Bernier and Andy seem viable.

Ok yeah I'd probably go with Anderson for now and see if he can keep it up.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

Ok yeah I'd probably go with Anderson for now and see if he can keep it up.

Agree. EDIT: we'll see how he does tonight against the Flames!

How about this one. I'm down by a few PIM, who's my best bet for a fight tomorrow? ;) Crombeen at Edm? Roussel at Chi?

DeNofa fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 16, 2014

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Not playing goalies on the last day of the week worked beautifully. I had a decent GAA and SV% but was behind by like 0.1 on each. Started no goalies yesterday night and my opponent this week started his. I was already winning on other goalie stats by a large margin, but doing that ended up turning a 6-4 score into 9-1. Ace!

Thanks, deadEd!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I was behind basically all of last week, lmao. I'm usually pretty good for assists but I got beat 30-16, wow. gently caress RANDY CARLYLE indeed

deadEd
Feb 20, 2001

thehustler posted:

Thanks, deadEd!

:confused: what team are you? I won both of my matches last week.

Kaiser Cortez
Sep 3, 2007

"Pavel, you wear the 'A' on your jersey. What does that mean to you?"
"A lot. So much that I put an 'A' on all my clothes. I wear an 'A' everywhere."

deadEd posted:

I believe he's thanking you for your advice you gave earlier on benching your goalies towards the end of the week if you're ahead in stats.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

deadEd posted:

Uhh I just mean in my Yahoo league with friends. I'm not playing with goons.

deadEd
Feb 20, 2001

thehustler posted:

Uhh I just mean in my Yahoo league with friends. I'm not playing with goons.

ohhh you're the guy I gave advice to! Glad it worked out then!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

God drat it, Reimer and the Leafs tanked my goalie stats enough to cost me wins in GAA and SV% this week :(

Dumping him for Dubnyk, I guess. My goalies are pretty weak this year, I was really hoping Lehtonen and the Stars would be better.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Incidentally I won 2 goaltending categories last week. Truly the Cam Ward Gambit has paid off in spades

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I'm 5-0 so far in my head to head league. So far I've mostly been using the team I drafted with 1 rotation spot used to pick up players on days when I don't have a full line up. We're allowed 5 moves per week.

I used LeftWingLock to help with my draft spreadsheet (no affiliation).

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

priznat posted:

God drat it, Reimer and the Leafs tanked my goalie stats enough to cost me wins in GAA and SV% this week :(

Dumping him for Dubnyk, I guess. My goalies are pretty weak this year, I was really hoping Lehtonen and the Stars would be better.

I went all-in on Stars this year in LSL (not by plan, but still) and I regret it thoroughly. They will swing up a bit as regression hits their goaltending (though maybe not fuckin Lindback lol) but they are just having a terrible year. gently caress Lindy Ruff and his constant line juggling and lovely PP setup too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

I went all-in on Stars this year in LSL (not by plan, but still) and I regret it thoroughly. They will swing up a bit as regression hits their goaltending (though maybe not fuckin Lindback lol) but they are just having a terrible year. gently caress Lindy Ruff and his constant line juggling and lovely PP setup too.

Yeah Jamie Benn is possibly one of my favorite NHLers right now so I was pretty keen to see them do well. I had picked up Daley as a FA but he has stink of late and I dropped him today.

Now I just have Lehtonen and he seems to be playing well just getting no defensive support. Almost 50 shots on him by Chicago last night? Jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I've got one of those good to have problems in HHL right now. Dan Boyle came off IR a few days back, but I don't have anywhere to put him. My defense right now is Lindholm, Yandle, Enstrom, Vatanen, and Fowler. I have no idea who needs defense in that league, but I'd like to package Boyle and a winger for a center.

• Locked thread