Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I liked how they brought King Mabel out on one of those sedan chair/litter things, but it was way overbuilt and had like 8 visibly strained dudes carrying it.

RIP Big Vis, you were too big and cool for this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

projecthalaxy posted:

I liked how they brought King Mabel out on one of those sedan chair/litter things, but it was way overbuilt and had like 8 visibly strained dudes carrying it.

RIP Big Vis, you were too big and cool for this world.

I think I preferred him as Big Daddy V, but he wasn't bad for a huge fatass. That fat-rear end spinkick was neat.

Why don't we have any more morbidly obese wrestlers?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Red posted:

Well they had Chris Hero but they cut him

This is my second time burning Hero today and I'm sorry but it's just so easy. I really like the guy though.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

BigRed0427 posted:

As for myself I think my next day off i'm gonna really sit down and go through every ECW Hardcore TV they have up. To any of the goons who were ECW fans, has any of it held up over time?

The early stuff is a bit of a treat when ECW was just a lovely indie with a hot crowd(93-94 looked like an AWA and JCP refugee camp). Some of the matches I fondly remember turned out being awful because you can see them blatantly setting up spots to pop the crowd. I can never not get enough Sabu, though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

coconono posted:

I can never not get enough Sabu, though.

I was watching some Sabu last week, the guy is just so fascinating to watch. He just hurls himself into every match, it's hard to describe

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Watching Sabu is like watching viral videos of bad accidents or nasty football hits.

It's dumb and a little disgusting but you're still just like :stare: because it's so crazy.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

triplexpac posted:

I was watching some Sabu last week, the guy is just so fascinating to watch. He just hurls himself into every match, it's hard to describe

Dude's totally willing to eat poo poo on a move and its completely awesome.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Red posted:

I think I preferred him as Big Daddy V, but he wasn't bad for a huge fatass. That fat-rear end spinkick was neat.

I recently watched the Mabel vs Undertaker match from right after Taker put that mask on (December '95 In Your House I think?) and was shocked at how not-bad it was. Not a single rest hold and the pace/length was pretty much perfect. Just a simple big man match that was exactly what it needed to be.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
If only we'd got King Sabu. Opportunity missed. :sigh:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Viscera was really good in the Ministry (and usually ECW) when they would put him in tags and let the Acolytes or whoever do the work and then he comes in and just flattens dudes. I've always wondered how big/what size those amazing floor-length leather trashbag coats they had Vis wear were. I want to try one on.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I was watching Nitro and on the second episode Sabu had his first ever match in WCW. He wins the match and then puts his opponent through a table for no reason, just narrowly missing smashing his own head on the guardrail. It was so sublimely Sabu that it was great.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Minidust posted:

I recently watched the Mabel vs Undertaker match from right after Taker put that mask on (December '95 In Your House I think?) and was shocked at how not-bad it was. Not a single rest hold and the pace/length was pretty much perfect. Just a simple big man match that was exactly what it needed to be.

It was a quick match that played to the strengths of both, and the entire thing was still in the "Undertaker is an attraction, not a wrestler" arena.

A month later, UT wrestled Bret at the Rumble in a pretty boring match, and the mask came off. I'm not sure if Bret and UT just never really gelled, or if UT wasn't ready to put on a wrestling match yet. The Bret/UT match from SummerSlam 1997 had a great finish that's really memorable, but the match was just kind of boring overall.

Edit: I take it back, they had a really good match at IYH: One Night Only, or whatever the UK PPV was.

Red fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 17, 2014

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

coconono posted:

Dude's totally willing to eat poo poo on a move and its completely awesome.

The genius of Sabu is that he created a character that keeps botches within kayfabe.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

My main desire for KotR is to have another midcard showcase, really. I realize that the Money in the Bank has kind of supplanted it in that role, but KotR works better because:

1. Money in the Bank is sort of stale at this point
2. It only really works for heels because surprise cash ins are the only thing that make it interesting
3. It's become a holding pattern rather than a career elevator because they're unwilling to let midcard talent really get a title shot, even if they have the briefcase. So they just fart around with it for months doing nothing.

King of the Ring is better because it could elevate somebody and give them some spotlight time without them having to challenge for the belt, which WWE has proven unwilling or unable to give to a midcarder in such a way as it results in a real push recently.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Baby Babbeh posted:

2. It only really works for heels because surprise cash ins are the only thing that make it interesting

I dunno, surprise cash-ins can work great if it's a face done correctly. Like when Punk came out and took the title from Edge it was fun, since it was a babyface screwing over a heel who deserved it.

I mean I'm sure we ranted for pages about "Who is the REAL heel here" but still it was a fun moment.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Someone else needs to do what RVD did and just use it get a title shot they normally wouldn't get and use it at a PPV. The "cashing in to steal the title" was great, especially the first time with Edge, but it's been done to death at some point using it like the Summerslam equivalent of winning the Royal Rumble seems like the obvious place to go.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Someone else needs to do what RVD did and just use it get a title shot they normally wouldn't get and use it at a PPV. The "cashing in to steal the title" was great, especially the first time with Edge, but it's been done to death at some point using it like the Summerslam equivalent of winning the Royal Rumble seems like the obvious place to go.

The problem is that I'm not sure how you book someone like that and not have them look stupid.

They've conditioned us to think of MITB as a "win the title for free card" for so long, doing anything else seems foolish.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

triplexpac posted:

The problem is that I'm not sure how you book someone like that and not have them look stupid.

They've conditioned us to think of MITB as a "win the title for free card" for so long, doing anything else seems foolish.

Only heels want a free title. A real wrestler wants to prove himself. It's really not as bad as you make it sound and practically writes itself.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Since the Elimination Chamber PPV is going away, but they're keeping the match, I wonder when it's happening next?

It would be awesome to see Rollins wait outside the chamber, grinning at the last two people left while he holds up the briefcase.

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

Baby Babbeh posted:

My main desire for KotR is to have another midcard showcase, really. I realize that the Money in the Bank has kind of supplanted it in that role, but KotR works better.

Why don't they just do a KotR Money in the bank tournament. Every match of the tournament would be a ladder match.*

*that must include a flippy guy.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

omgomgomg posted:

Why don't they just do a KotR Money in the bank tournament. Every match of the tournament would be a ladder match.*

*that must include a flippy guy.

And what would they do after they injure half the roster?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Blasmeister posted:

Push John Cena?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Blasmeister posted:

whatever they normally do to use time on Superstars?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

The briefcase as a plot device is loving horrible. I also don't know how they can possibly get rid of it when MitB is one of their big ticket events now and the matches are unique/fun.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I still think Mania should kick off every year with a multiman ladder match for the IC belt.

MITB really added a lot to the show and this is a way to get that back without another case

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Fat Lowtax posted:

The briefcase as a plot device is loving horrible. I also don't know how they can possibly get rid of it when MitB is one of their big ticket events now and the matches are unique/fun.

Change the rules of the briefcase. Like, it only guarantees a title match in the Summerslam main event, or the holder has to announce their cash in ahead of time. Even if you don't have a good guy win who wants to use it the "right" way like I was saying earlier, this is just a way to hard code into the rules that "we're getting rid of the surprise cash in because it's been done a billion times."

Of course, again, I just say have a face win it and announce his cash in like RVD.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, I love the MITB matches, but I'm kind of over the whole surprise cash-in kind of thing- I think they've pretty much gotten all they can out of that device. Maybe just give the holder the right to insert himself into an upcoming PPV title match/main event? IDK.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Red posted:

Since the Elimination Chamber PPV is going away, but they're keeping the match, I wonder when it's happening next?

It would be awesome to see Rollins wait outside the chamber, grinning at the last two people left while he holds up the briefcase.

They could easily have a bunch of dudes come out to complain about being screwed over in the past. Bam, elimination chamber.

Wait sorry that would require continuity.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Judgement Day 2000 is a pretty good PPV aside from Taker returning in his absolute worst gimmick.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

He was "Mean" Mark Callous at Judgment Day?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

When was the first time a promotion used the spot where a new face champion had all the other faces come out to congratulate him in the ring? WMX is the first in my memory but I'm sure it's probably not the first time it ever happened.

E: poo poo sorry, meant this to go in the questions thread

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 18, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

St Evan Echoes posted:

When was the first time a promotion used the spot where a new face champion had all the other faces come out to congratulate him in the ring? WMX is the first in my memory but I'm sure it's probably not the first time it ever happened.

Dusty Rhodes in Championship Wrestling From Florida?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2c_vO4Zf2M

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Fat Lowtax posted:

Dunno about it being a terrible plot device. Its been used poorly. Other than a hamfisted write in in a promo you never get the feeling that it really could be cashed in at anytime. For the first few weeks, they push that idea, then they forget about it. And then about the time you kinda get the feeling they're gonna spring the cash in, it doesn't happen. Then when they want to do the cash in, it feels really rushed because the build to the cash in has been deflated.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

coconono posted:

Dunno about it being a terrible plot device. Its been used poorly. Other than a hamfisted write in in a promo you never get the feeling that it really could be cashed in at anytime. For the first few weeks, they push that idea, then they forget about it. And then about the time you kinda get the feeling they're gonna spring the cash in, it doesn't happen. Then when they want to do the cash in, it feels really rushed because the build to the cash in has been deflated.

The stars all have to absolutely be in alignment, and I don't know how often that things would fall the right way, but having someone do a surprise cash and lose is totally doable:

Face briefcase holder, heel champ. Heel goes over in his scheduled match, maybe even goes over clean, so long as he sells the match as having taken everything out of him. Face does the surprise cash, and either you have the heel go over again, maybe cheating, or have him escape for the count out at the absolute last moment. Heel can then run down the face (The bell rang, you blew your chance, never getting another one etc, etc...). Couple shows down the line, the face finally manages to win his rematch, and takes the title.

You need all the elements to fall into place, admittedly, but it is possible. The only limitations are having that face who is ready to make the step up, and actually being willing to plan that far ahead.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I didn't get the WWE Network for free, and that thing where they were letting people out of their contracts doesn't apply to me because I paid all at once and they won't give me a refund. I'd threaten to boycott the WWE over how awful they've treated me since the Network started (Awful customer service twice now, billing issues, ect) but I'm already paying for this garbage and look like a fool trying to boycott a contract I'm stuck in until March.

And the WWE isn't getting better, but at least NXT is.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

sportsgenius86 posted:

I still think Mania should kick off every year with a multiman ladder match for the IC belt.

MITB really added a lot to the show and this is a way to get that back without another case

Yeah that would be awesome. But then again, they're probably afraid of hurting MITB which is one of the few PPV draws they have left. Mania will do fine on it's own with or without a fun ladder match, but MITB needs to be a spectacle.

Actually as dumb as it was, I enjoyed the Andre the Giant Battle Royal as a match to help break up the pacing of Mania.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm not a fan of Wrestlemania matches that are clearly a way to get everyone on the card so they get a WM payday.

Seeing Zach Rider get thrown over the top rope of a battle royal, or Eva Marie throw a single punch and spend the rest of the match on the ground of an all divas invitational really does nothing for me if that time can be filled with a great 1 on 1 match.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Astro7x posted:

I'm not a fan of Wrestlemania matches that are clearly a way to get everyone on the card so they get a WM payday.

Seeing Zach Rider get thrown over the top rope of a battle royal, or Eva Marie throw a single punch and spend the rest of the match on the ground of an all divas invitational really does nothing for me if that time can be filled with a great 1 on 1 match.

Loads of dudes is part of the spectacle though. I see what you mean mind.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Astro7x posted:

I guess my thinking is that whatever 1 v 1 lower midcard match they throw in there instead of a battle royal won't be very good. So I'd rather it be some kind of multi-man affair than yet another midcard 1 on 1 match in a 4 hour show.

Edit: Oh yeah, I watched that Entrance Theme documentary the other day. Can't believe they didn't include Real American but I guess it was done at a time when they hated Hogan for being in TNA or something.

Also no Bret Hart made me sad :smith:

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Flameingblack posted:

I didn't get the WWE Network for free, and that thing where they were letting people out of their contracts doesn't apply to me because I paid all at once and they won't give me a refund. I'd threaten to boycott the WWE over how awful they've treated me since the Network started (Awful customer service twice now, billing issues, ect) but I'm already paying for this garbage and look like a fool trying to boycott a contract I'm stuck in until March.

And the WWE isn't getting better, but at least NXT is.

The free network was only meant for new subscribers. They've blatantly said this numerous times. You made the choice to purchase all 6 months at once, you get six months of service. This is how things work. You don't buy a year of PSN/Xbox Live and then yell at Microsoft because you only used 2 months of it, do you?

Edit: Paypal is now processing WWE Payments as eChecks, meaning unless you explicitly cancel, leaving your account low on funds or attaching a junk card will not cancel the sub. Instead you'll eat an overdraft fee.

Eldritch BiLast fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 18, 2014