Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I'm pretty sure that choosing to get publicly involved in gamer gate drama is a sign of latent mental illness. Certainly seems that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
This is a super dumb non-story, guys.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Apparently someone left this in their hotel room.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I Want To Go To There

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I hope that's a suicide note

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
How many drafts is that?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I want to play a game

There is a piece of power somewhere in that bathtub...but the papercuts you will get going through those cards will be horrific.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Geordie Tate is a bit of a spaz but he wrote Garvas Elscott MODO Cop (see part 6) which is the funniest mtg article I've ever read so he gets a pass from me.

Toshimo posted:

This guy deserves this in every possible way.

Yeah he sure deserved to have his possessions stolen. What a goober am I right.

edit:

quote:

SUPPORTING CAST

AJ Sacher as Holden Caulfield

Laopooh fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 17, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I see a Ponyback and a Weaponmaster. This man had value in his sealed pools.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Finally home from GPNJ, went 6-2-1 on Day 1. Out of day 2 contention in round 5, but decided to keep playing and practice for the SSS and won out the day. And of course, I promptly 1-3 scrubbed out of the SSS. *shrug*

R1 - Bye
R2 - 1-2 against Deathblade. Won the first game, but screwed up and boarded as if he was on BUG because all I saw in the first game was a Deathrite, TNN, Tropical and Underground Sea. Wasn't ready for the Stoneforge or equipment and got punished for it.
R3 - 1-1-1 against Goblins. Should've called a judge to get him to speed it up, as he looked new and was missing a lot of triggers, and I didn't have enough experience in the matchup to know how to avoid dying.
R4 - 2-0 against Punishing Maverick. Forgot that Batterskull grants Vigilance, so I kept tapping my Jitte'd Batter-TNN to attack and let him swing with his own Jitte'd Batter-Germ, which made the first game last like 40 minutes. That didn't happen the second game, thankfully.
R5 - 2-0 against Re-animator. Had to StP his Griselbrand three times in one turn, just to have him draw & counter every single one.
R6 - 2-0 against Miracles. He never got a Top active in Game 1, and rage-scooped before we even started Game 2. I guess his day wasn't going well!
R7 - 2-1 against UR Delver.
R8 - No show.
R9 - 2-0 against Merfolk. Turns out they don't have a lot of answers to equipment.

On Sunday I went 0-2 against UWR Stoneblade, 2-1 against Burn, 0-2 against Death & Taxes, and 0-2 against another Stoneblade. For those counting, that's 11 real matches and 10 different archetypes. Legacy is awesome, the GP was awesome, everyone should go to their LGS and ask for proxy legacy tournaments.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Laopooh posted:

Geordie Tate is a bit of a spaz but he wrote Garvas Elscott MODO Cop (see part 6) which is the funniest mtg article I've ever read so he gets a pass from me.

Yeah he sure deserved to have his possessions stolen. What a goober am I right.

edit:

This guy's writing seems pretty funny and good and it's so weird that he seems to be having some weird meltdown right now.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
It feels kind of weird that I am only like $150 away from completing my modern BG deck. A few months ago it seemed like it was so far away from being assembled.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

forbidden lesbian posted:

some weird meltdown
HAVE I GOT A WEIRD MELTDOWN FOR YOU

https://twitter.com/Xander756/status/534456111110582274

BONUS ROUND: https://twitter.com/Xander756/status/534460167979814914

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Brian Kibler ‏@bmkibler 14m14 minutes ago
@Xander756 it's about ethics in journalism, you see

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

"My words don't mean anything is a tough sell for a career writer" is absolutely beautiful

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I occasionally wonder what strange alternate reality some people live in where they think publicly calling someone a human being isn't a fireable offense at the vast majority of workplaces.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Froghammer posted:

I occasionally wonder what strange alternate reality some people live in where they think publicly calling someone a human being isn't a fireable offense at the vast majority of workplaces.

The Bible Belt

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Is everyone who works for scg secretly insane or something, what the hell

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

oh my god

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."

Froghammer posted:

HAVE I GOT A WEIRD MELTDOWN FOR YOU

I have learnt that every side in the gamergate shitfest is literally Hitler and free speech means never taking responsibility for what you say.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Ebethron posted:

free speech means never taking responsibility for what you say

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ebethron posted:

free speech

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

regardless of what he is or what he did not clicking on xkcd links is probably the right call.

That said:
"First they came for the people who unironically say "feminazi," and I did not say anything, because I think that's a stupid neologism.

Then they came for the people who say "U mad bro?" when someone criticizes them, and I did not say anything, because that is an old meme.

Then they came for the people who angrily respond to each and every one of their critics on Twitter, and I did not say anything, because gently caress Phil Fish.

Then they came for the people who call others "human being" in public venues, and there was nobody left to stand up for us."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Froghammer posted:

But you see in Gamer Culture calling someone a human being isn't really offensive! It's just part of the culture! Why are you getting mad?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Which guys do you cards like? Do you have any decks?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bonus posted:

Nah playing the game is too much work. I just try to imagine scenarios in which I'd ever use Prophecy cards.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bonus posted:

I play the deck that punches your dumb face in the mouth.

Nerd.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Nah playing the game is too much work. I just try to imagine scenarios in which I'd ever use Prophecy cards.

Rhystic study is a legit EDH card. The rest are pretty awful, though.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Mageta the Lion is a haymaker and a half if you can get him online in EDH.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I played Big Red Control during an IQ about 3 months ago and every black player was baffled when they saw my grips of 3 mountains, ember swallower, generator servant, magma jet, and scuttling doom engine. :getin:

Is there a list for this somewhere? Ember Swallower is my jam.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Froghammer posted:

Mageta the Lion is a haymaker and a half if you can get him online in EDH.

Considering the trouble I have keeping a goddamn Thrun online I don't think he'd last.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Bonus posted:

I played mono-black aggro to the point where everyone hated it out then I showed up with mardu walkers and gleefully dropped elspeth on fools.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I like playing UR delver (legacy and modern) but in my defense I played them before they were popular. Went 3-1 with it in my LGS today, lost to some rear end in a top hat running a zoo deck with 4x maindeck volcanic fallout.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

So what happened to Death and Taxes? I was thinking of building it and it seems like it got poo poo on all over the GP.

A deck like Deaht and Taxes is hard to run well in an unknown meta. You need a good idea of what you're going to play against to make important decisions both in terms of play and what your list will look like.

Treasure Cruise had a big impact on the Legacy meta and right now it's pretty hard for DnT pilots to really lock down what exactly they should be doing and bringing.

It will likely make a comeback as the meta continues to take shape and settle down.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What's the best direction to take an equipment EDH deck if I want to sword things really hard and really well? Like, what colours, any really good equipment I should run outside of the 5 swords, Jitte, and Butterskills?

For sure there'd be a shitload of white and that new Commander deck would be a great place to start, but what are the absolute must-use equipment and equipment support cards?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

What's the best direction to take an equipment EDH deck if I want to sword things really hard and really well? Like, what colours, any really good equipment I should run outside of the 5 swords, Jitte, and Butterskills?

For sure there'd be a shitload of white and that new Commander deck would be a great place to start, but what are the absolute must-use equipment and equipment support cards?

The Kaldra's set?

Might as well run Kemba. Kemba's pretty great.

And coincidentally she's in the white 2014 deck so there's that too!

Basically what I'm saying is play Cathar's Crusade, and then Martial Coup for 5, and then slap the equipment on your big fat soldiers. :getin:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
The guy whose house we play our weekly MTG night at owns binders of every set back to Alpha. Every week we rotate through different formats and tonight we are apparently going to play a "Binder Draft". Essentially we'll roll dice and highest goes first to pick a binder to build a deck with.

My question as someone who has only been playing MTG for a few years and doesn't have a mastery of all of the past sets is... what sets should I be looking at to build a deck from and what synergies or colors are going to be the most fun from those sets?

I'm at a bit of a disadvantage since most of the guys who come to this weekly game have been playing for 10-20 years and I'm the new kid on the block.

Advice?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Isumara Hound as your general and just jam all the good equipment and auras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Kemba, Kha Regent always comes to mind. Godsend is pretty bitchin' in that format. Skullclamp, Lightning Greaves, Darksteel Plate, Argentum Armor, Whispersilk Cloak. Worldslayer is mean if you can get out something like Eldrazi Monument.

• Locked thread