Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

That Campania Pizza place is a drat good alternative to Antico. Also, if you like Peruvian, Mambo's is pretty fantastic as well. I haven't explored the full depth Alpharetta has to offer, but I can assure these are excellent places.

Also, I look forward to seeing any goons tonight at Makan! I think there's community tables, so we can pair up if needed.

Campania sounds great judging by the yelp reviews. I think thats where I'm gonna go tomorrow. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Any recommendations for knife sharpeners in the perimeter?

Sad I'm missing Makan/Chai Pani dinner tonight, but I just couldn't get my group together in time :sigh:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

WaterIsPoison posted:

Sad I'm missing Makan/Chai Pani dinner tonight, but I just couldn't get my group together in time :sigh:

This lady comes around in her van. She's reasonably priced.
http://www.premiersharpeningatlanta.com/

Wait, strike that. That's not the business I used.

e. Yes it is. Weird. Maybe she sold it, or moved. She used to be right near Emory.

I guess if you're going to get $25 worth of sharpening done, they can still come out.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 8, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WaterIsPoison posted:

cooks warehouse's's have people come by once a week. drop your knives off the day before and pick them up afterwards.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

WaterIsPoison posted:

You missed out!

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Sadly I didnt get to have Campania pizza today. The training catered and had 'Cue BBQ for lunch. Seemed like pretty good bbq.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Finally made it to ink and elm, the bar side. Everything was ok... But off somehow. Had a burger, broiled oysters with bottarga, and chicken and dumplings.

All the dishes were good, but just had weird execution problems. Like chicken and dumplings were good flavors and an interesting twist on the concept (dumplings were sweet potato gnocchi, for example), but the seasoning was off, and the whole thing was literally swimming in gravy. Like it was more a soup than a dish with gravy.

Broiled oysters were just barely broiled - probably more on the raw side than cooked, which I feel like must have been a conscious choice of whoever cooked them. I hope so, anyways... but didn't work for me or my gal.

Burger was good, but mine was almost blue. I asked for "whatever the chef feels is best" for my burger doneness, so I'm not complaining per se. Was still very good, but another execution choice I'd question.

Dunno. Nothing was bad , so I feel whiney posting all this on the internet, but eh. Dunno.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
You finally fixed your shift key!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

You finally fixed your shift key!

oh god what am I becoming :psyduck:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Where is the best hot and sour soup in-town? I can't drive up to Buford Hwy for lunch, but I really want some great hot and sour soup for lunch today, if it's available with a few miles of downtown.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tatsuta Age posted:

Where is the best hot and sour soup in-town? I can't drive up to Buford Hwy for lunch, but I really want some great hot and sour soup for lunch today, if it's available with a few miles of downtown.

I'd look to tuk tuk and little bangkok. just what pops up off the top of my head.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Anyone else planning on going to the Ramen Festival? It's also being hosted by Makan.

http://makan.xorbia.com/ramen

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
quick halppp :(

I have a vegan friend in town and I want to take her somewhere a. somewhat Atlanta specific, b. sort of nice, and c. somewhere I will enjoy - aka, not cafe sunflower or some bullshit, and d. intown

Anyone have any suggestions?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Eugene?

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

mindphlux posted:

quick halppp :(

I have a vegan friend in town and I want to take her somewhere a. somewhat Atlanta specific, b. sort of nice, and c. somewhere I will enjoy - aka, not cafe sunflower or some bullshit, and d. intown

Anyone have any suggestions?

Yeahburger has a few vegan options. Chai Pani's menu is 30% vegan (just ask for optional no yogurt on some dishes). R Thomas. I dunno, good luck!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

Yeahburger has a few vegan options. Chai Pani's menu is 30% vegan (just ask for optional no yogurt on some dishes). R Thomas. I dunno, good luck!

Thanks! this is the sort of info I'm after. Still looking for suggestions - I just completely don't pay attention to the vegan makeup of most menus, so this is helpful.

Eugene is a good call too.

mcppants
May 2, 2005
bloody tampon popsicle
What are your thoughts on the current Krog street market restaurants. I live around the corner and have been meaning to try, but I honestly have not seen a lot of reviews going either direction.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
There are only two places open at the moment, The Luminary and Craft Izakaya. I've not been to The Luminary, and I'm in no hurry after after reading a recent review. I've been to Craft Izakaya and really liked it and want to go back in the next couple weekends.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've been to both. I went to craft tonight. the food was really good on all counts except for some flabby pretty much inedible chicken skin yakatori. but the waitress noticed we hadn't eaten much of it and comp'd the dish, so couldn't be happier food quality wise. our bill was expensive for what we ordered, but not horrrrrrribly outrageously so. you kind of have to feel the menu out for where the values are though. for example, we got a chef's choice 6 piece nigiri set for 17.95. ordering off the nigiri menu was 7-12$ for two pieces of fish. so a 6 piece would have set us back $30+ otherwise.

still, do you see what I'm saying? 6 pieces of nigiri for $18 bux is pretty loving pricey, and that's the "value" option.

for the money I'd pay extra in gas money and time and go to shoya - or even just pay a similar amount and go to Miso right down the street. but, again, I have no complaints about the food or service - everything was really great - so aside from price no reason to give it bad marks.

edit : I loved their tako wasabi - maybe the best I've ever had.

I will, however, not be going back to the luminary any time soon. it's a french bistro inspired place or something. all I know is I went there expecting a pretty normal, decent food, no surprises type meal - we ordered an inexpensive bottle of wine, some raw seafood, and a couple side dishes - and our bill was $130 or something before tip. service was pretty mediocre, food was nothing special. dunno what happened there, but I wasn't a fan.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 31, 2014

mcppants
May 2, 2005
bloody tampon popsicle
Ugh, I hate that the stuff in Krog is sub par. I run by the building all the time and the restaurants both look beautiful.
I have lived in Inman park / little five points area for two years and have had trouble finding a decent rotations of places to eat. Most nights I just end up drinking cheap beer and eating burritos at El Myr.
Am I missing something in the area?

I like wrecking bar but their food is awfully heavy and while I drink at the porter regularly I feel that their food is uninspired. Also my s/o is very allergic to cheese.

Thoughts?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

I went to craft tonight.

When I went, I also had the chicken skin yakitori, which I was disappointed by considering how much I love skins. I loved the sushi much more than the non-sushi stuff, which is pretty typical for me. Aside from the chicken skin yakitori, I wouldn't say the non-sushi stuff was disappointing or anything like that, but I just love sushi so drat much and thought the sushi was really good. The head dude, Jey Oh, gave me some extra sushi stuff because he "liked the way [I] ordered."

I kind of had the opposite reaction to the pricing. When I got my bill, it was significantly less than I had expected.

mcppants posted:

Ugh, I hate that the stuff in Krog is sub par. I run by the building all the time and the restaurants both look beautiful.
I have lived in Inman park / little five points area for two years and have had trouble finding a decent rotations of places to eat. Most nights I just end up drinking cheap beer and eating burritos at El Myr.
Am I missing something in the area?

I like wrecking bar but their food is awfully heavy and while I drink at the porter regularly I feel that their food is uninspired. Also my s/o is very allergic to cheese.

Thoughts?
There are only two places at Krog and one is sub par at this point. There's a bunch more stuff to open.

In that area of town, I like Wisteria, One Eared Stag, Bocca Lupo, Wrecking Bar, and the Rathbun places.

mcppants
May 2, 2005
bloody tampon popsicle

venutolo posted:

In that area of town, I like Wisteria, One Eared Stag, Bocca Lupo, Wrecking Bar, and the Rathbun places.

I will never eat at one eared stag ever again. I have had the worst service of my entire life at that restaurant.

I do not know if it is because of all of the new developments or what, but for "atlanta's oldest suburb" there is not a lot that I would consider a good neighberhood joint.

What do you consider the best eating area in Atlanta? I feel like it is hard to beat buford highway when it comes to array and quality of food - there are just so many choices.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

mindphlux posted:

I will, however, not be going back to the luminary any time soon. it's a french bistro inspired place or something. all I know is I went there expecting a pretty normal, decent food, no surprises type meal - we ordered an inexpensive bottle of wine, some raw seafood, and a couple side dishes - and our bill was $130 or something before tip. service was pretty mediocre, food was nothing special. dunno what happened there, but I wasn't a fan.
I had the exact same experience. Mediocre food for two, $130 check, disappointed feeling.

The other restaurants coming in look great - just gotta wait it out.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I kind of had the opposite reaction to the pricing. When I got my bill, it was significantly less than I had expected.

if you were ordering mainly sushi, this sounds about right. their rolls didn't seem that disproportionally priced - which is part of what I meant by 'gotta find the value' on their menu.

I tend to order izakaya type plates when I go to places that offer them, so I didn't order any rolls - just all the small plates and nigiri and stuff. so while rolls were reasonable, their small plates and alcohol were about 20-35% more expensive than my benchmark (shoya, in this case) - which meant a meal I'd expect to cost $50-60 before tipfor two at shoya ran around $85-95 at craft.

again, the food was great at craft, not complaining - but with the types of dishes I was ordering there was a major uptick in price. again, rolls seemed very reasonably priced, and I should probably just not be ridiculous and order 10 small plates for a meal.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ron eyester : horns.aiff

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone know any place that serves cassoulet?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Going to the mall of Georgia this weekend to see interstellar in IMAX. Want to make a night out of it. What are some good places to eat around that area?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The whole area is a festering hellhole. There's a Zaxby's though.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Safety Dance posted:

The whole area is a festering hellhole. There's a Zaxby's though.

Exactly.

I'm eating in town with my father before driving up there.

gently caress that entire area. Except that beautiful IMAX screen.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

mcppants posted:

I will never eat at one eared stag ever again. I have had the worst service of my entire life at that restaurant.

I do not know if it is because of all of the new developments or what, but for "atlanta's oldest suburb" there is not a lot that I would consider a good neighberhood joint.

What do you consider the best eating area in Atlanta? I feel like it is hard to beat buford highway when it comes to array and quality of food - there are just so many choices.

Buford is great if you know exactly which hole in the wall is good. I love little places that are hidden by the flashier, but less good places. Places with dumplings and buns are my favorites.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Anyone know any place that serves cassoulet?

atmosphere and babbettes are both running cassoulet specials right now.

also my house last sunday ^_^

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Megasabin posted:

Going to the mall of Georgia this weekend to see interstellar in IMAX. Want to make a night out of it. What are some good places to eat around that area?

Umaido.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have suggestions for butchers? I've been going to New York Butcher Shoppe and Shield's Meat Market, but both have left me wanting more in different ways. Between the two, I much prefer the first.

In particular, I'd really like to find a place that has prime beef, dry aged beef, will custom cut my steak (I like a thicker steak than what is normally cut), and has hanger or flank steak instead of just the ribeye/filet/strip cuts that are most prevalent.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I like Spotted Trotter a lot. They have hanger steak, cut prime cuts to order, have a variety of sausages, cure their own meats, and have jerky as well. I'd definitely recommend it.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I had not considered them and feel silly for that. I will definitely be visiting them next and the upcoming Krog Street Market location will be great for me. Thanks.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I had not considered them and feel silly for that. I will definitely be visiting them next and the upcoming Krog Street Market location will be great for me. Thanks.

I have been to sheilds and NY, and agree with your assessment. I second spotted trotter - and though I haven't been, I've heard numerous things about pine street market being great.

honestly though, I think wholefood meets all your criteria too. you just gotta chat up the more hipstery looking meat guys, or the ones you see every time you come in, and they can probably custom cut you something or whatever. the selection is usually pretty good, even if the price is abysmal.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 8, 2014

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Pine Street is great, but they just do pork. I really enjoy their sausage and cured meats. I also took three butcher classes there, which I really enjoyed.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I kinda forgot this thread existed for two years. Ooops.

Currently I'm obsessed with the pastries from the Little Tart Bakeshop in the Octane on Memorial, especially their ham & cheese and almond croissants and their whole wheat chocolate chip cookies. Everything I've had there has been outstanding though, way better than Star Provision's or Alon's pastries IMO.

Ate at Luminary for brunch a couple weeks ago. Food was pretty good and we were drinking hard but I was still surprised that my wife and I plus one other couple managed to drop $300ish on brunch -- felt more like about $200 worth of food and booze. I'd give it another shot for dinner though.

Went back to Optimist recently. It's still quite good. They had better and more interesting cocktails than I remember; the Eye Patch w/ scotch, cane syrup, orange, lime, and porter was a pretty unique flavor profile that I liked.

Had a good meal at Pig & Pearl. I didn't love the ribs that I tried but I thought that the pulled pork was pretty good and all of the seafood and sides were great. I loathe going to Atlantic Station though so I'll pretty much always pick The Shed over P&P.

Best thing I've eaten at a restaurant recently is the country fried steak w/ mashed potatoes & gravy and fried green tomatoes at Homegrown. I love the comfy chicken biscuit there but the country fried steak is fuckin' ridiculous.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 18, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lawen posted:

Had a good meal at Pig & Pearl. I didn't love the ribs that I tried but I thought that the pulled pork was pretty good and all of the seafood and sides were great. I loathe going to Atlantic Station though so I'll pretty much always pick The Shed over P&P.

Best thing I've eaten at a restaurant recently is the country fried steak w/ mashed potatoes & gravy and fried green tomatoes at Homegrown. I love the comfy chicken biscuit there but the country fried steak is fuckin' ridiculous.

yeah, I think the shed is solid. it's not great, but it's inexpensive enough that I'd go for a weeknight meal. that said, I think they raised their prices - went in last week and was a little surprised. service was great and food was good though, so whatever I guess.

I'll have to try the homegrown steak, still only been there once since I moved to cabbagetown.

speaking of which, how you been? you should come to the next atl thread meetup and catch up. fond memories of drinking absurd amounts with you at brickstore and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

mindphlux posted:

speaking of which, how you been? you should come to the next atl thread meetup and catch up. fond memories of drinking absurd amounts with you at brickstore and such.

Haha, that's right, we bored everyone around us talking about Nietzsche and/or Kierkegaard. Good times.

Now that I've rediscovered the thread and bookmarked it I'll keep an eye out for the next meetup.