Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Did you actually call in a dig safe on your spot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Not yet, it's Sunday. It's technically illegal to dig in the park but it doesn't seem like it's crazy illegal. It's on the Boston Parks list of "don'ts" but we may be able to do it at night.

I'm nervous about asking for permission (and aren't sure who/where) because if they say no then they'll be on to it. The dig safe thing is a no brainer though, $1k fine for first offense.

But yes, I'm ready to dig.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is it possible that the text of the book has more clues than most of the spergs think? I mean, spergs are pretty well known to not see what is clearly in front of them.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Preiss (thank goodness) cleared it up before he died - no connection. They should all be solvable by verse/painting pairings.

kunoichi
Oct 26, 2005

xie posted:

Is there? Somehow I've missed that. I know the outline of the cove south of St Augustine park looks like the rock in the bottom right of the image, and it's been suggested that the flag held by the man is shaped like the path on the mission grounds.

There is also a giant crucifix on the mission grounds (there's a cross in the painting).

I live 15 minutes from there, and that's what I find so interesting about the image for St. Augustine. Almost all the clues have been gleaned from the poem, yet I can't think of a single piece of that image that looks like anything in the area, besides the palm tree in the lower right. The hidden images from pictures that were solved have clear references to objects that exist in reality. I wonder if the St. Augustine verse what meant to be one of the harder ones. Yes there is a green fence, but they're all over the place there.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Have you ever called in a digsafe before, xie? You need a contractor ID number and you need to mark the site with spray paint before you call, then you have to wait 3 days. And you have to give a reason for why they're going to send a half dozen utility companies out there to mark up the site. I don't think treasure hunt is on the list.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Yeah, you don't call digsafe to look for 32 year old casks in a park. If you don't want to risk the fine, give the solution to someone who does, because otherwise the contest is over for good.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just dug up San Francisco. Didn't find the cask. Did find a lot of hipster douchebags.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

DIGSAFE, are you loving kidding me?

Lol, 21st century treasure hunters are not quite the men of old.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Well then I'll look into just digging. I'm not totally against it, was just trying to be above board.

When I was at the site there was a state trooper parked about 20 feet away, they use it as a spot to speed trap Storrow drive :/

xie fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 17, 2014

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

xie posted:

When I was at the site there was a state trooper parked about 20 feet away, they use it as a spot to speed trap Storrow drive :/

Clearly they are there to protect the site and stop people digging up buried treasure.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

xie posted:

Well then I'll look into just digging. I'm not totally against it, was just trying to be above board.

If you're actually concerned that there are shallow underground utilities there, there's also probably not a casque. Odd are it was dug up at some point for maintenance.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Might be a clue. Can you get a photo of the position the state trooper's hands were in?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

It's not about the concern of utilities, it's that if I get caught digging that's one thing, but this is an automatic $1k tack on. It specifically says even if you are sinking a mailbox to get one done. Which is why I'm not 100% sure you can't have one done as an individual - there has to be some way. I can pay a contractor, I'm willing to put a few dollars into this. I may even be able to wrangle a geologist if they need one.

I figure if I go above board I'll need to agree to post a damage bond, possibly agree to have DCR people on site, etc. It won't be as simple as "Sure go dig a hole let us know how it goes."

I'll be using hand tools and going extremely slow, the casque is likely broken into small pieces from so many thaw cycles, wherever it's buried.

edit: I've thought about metal detecting but eh. GPR seems like a waste of money to me.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Might be a clue. Can you get a photo of the position the state trooper's hands were in?

like any good cop he was on his phone

xie fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 17, 2014

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Hey. Dont dig just to rule out a possibility. Dig because you're sure. I believe BP made it possible for us to be sure. I would be careful if your job/livelihood requires certain clearances. (Referring to someone supposedly having access to banking establishments.)

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Roanoke folks:

These are about a block away from each other. The cross is right near the shore, it is certainly the last thing you can touch, and the first thing seen standing.

It is directly south of the Wright Brothers Memorial

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

xie posted:

It's not about the concern of utilities, it's that if I get caught digging that's one thing, but this is an automatic $1k tack on. It specifically says even if you are sinking a mailbox to get one done. Which is why I'm not 100% sure you can't have one done as an individual - there has to be some way. I can pay a contractor, I'm willing to put a few dollars into this. I may even be able to wrangle a geologist if they need one.

I figure if I go above board I'll need to agree to post a damage bond, possibly agree to have DCR people on site, etc. It won't be as simple as "Sure go dig a hole let us know how it goes."

I'll be using hand tools and going extremely slow, the casque is likely broken into small pieces from so many thaw cycles, wherever it's buried.

edit: I've thought about metal detecting but eh. GPR seems like a waste of money to me.

like any good cop he was on his phone

If you're trying to dig without DCR knowing about it, having the site covered in spray paint for 3 days prior to is probably going to be a pretty big tip off.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Put on a hard hat, hi vis jacket and mark the spot with cones. None will bother you.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

xie posted:

Roanoke folks:

These are about a block away from each other. The cross is right near the shore, it is certainly the last thing you can touch, and the first thing seen standing.

It is directly south of the Wright Brothers Memorial

Also, these don't look that similar.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

The Supreme Court posted:

Also, these don't look that similar.

Agreed, those are quite the stretch.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Just because it gets posted doesn't mean I think it's important or "a match." Just some stuff I don't think anyone has looked at.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Something I was thinking about (and spent a little time on) was trying to figure out what the "oldest standing member of a forest" meant. I searched for historical trees in Charleston and came up with the Angel Oak, but I couldn't make any of the other clues match up. As the end of the verse says to ask for permission to dig, I'm thinking it's at a historical site of some sort.

I hope this helps trigger an idea for someone else. I am thinking that this verse does not go with Charleston at this point.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

The line is

Beneath the only standing member
Of a forest to the south

it's not the oldest. And it's with a different verse than typically associated with SC (but I don't really have a problem with that if it fits)

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Just go to the esplanade at around 3:00am on a wednesday morning. It is just homeless people sleeping at that point.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Are Xie and Urban Smurf related? Why is there always some excuse to not dig? Frost, underground cables, speed traps, etc.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Did Never Been Banned get caught digging and is now in jail? There hasn't been an update in a while

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

xie posted:

The line is

Beneath the only standing member
Of a forest to the south

it's not the oldest. And it's with a different verse than typically associated with SC (but I don't really have a problem with that if it fits)

My bad, I was doing it from memory. I figure that the "only standing member of a forest" is likely a very old tree, and probably has a name and is likely on private property.

I'm not on Q4T, but has anyone noticed that the tree branches on the Charleston image match the major highways leading east to Mt Pleasant? Am I off my rocker here?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Maybe he just shut up because he realized all he was doing was teasing us.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Tony Homo posted:

Are Xie and Urban Smurf related? Why is there always some excuse to not dig? Frost, underground cables, speed traps, etc.

What? It's been <24 hours and I haven't made any excuses. I'm trying to dig the site before the winter. There are real obstacles but all I've said is how I'm trying to deal with them.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
If I learned anything from National Treasure you pay a kid $10 and have him go dig the hole for you, then you don't get caught. No more excuses dig.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
make sure someone films it so if you get busted then you have a record of the police brutality

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

xie posted:

What? It's been <24 hours and I haven't made any excuses. I'm trying to dig the site before the winter. There are real obstacles but all I've said is how I'm trying to deal with them.
Time is up, there's a foot of snow or more in some northern states already. Looking forward to next year's attempts!

Never Been Banned
Sep 7, 2004
Okay well, maybe once...

Deadite posted:

Did Never Been Banned get caught digging and is now in jail? There hasn't been an update in a while

Sorry, I've been super busy. Just started a new job. I think I'm going to make it to my site this weekend for a Sunday attempt. We've had a cold snap, and the ground is hovering around freezing, but gently caress it. Unless it's clearly frozen I'm doing it anyways.

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
you guys find the plane yet

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
bunch of punk rear end bitch boys that are afraid to dig a hole because of the police lol

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 18, 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Prediction: the ground will be frozen. No documents will be posted. NBB will be banned.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 23, 2016

Never Been Banned
Sep 7, 2004
Okay well, maybe once...

H5N1 posted:

You're pathetic.

You're a total rear end, guy. I feel sorry for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 18, 2016