Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

I've been playing, the game is completely smooth for me after adjusting some settings. There was a slight stutter during cutscences, but I haven't noticed it after I was past the prologue. 30 FPS lock in cutscene is unfortunate, I can't tell the difference though I know it bothers some people. Not having auto-attack isn't surprising and it hasn't bothered me after the initial hump of getting used to the controls. I don't remember it coming up in reviews either, even from people that enjoyed Origins most of all, so I'm going to chalk it up to goon :qq:.

Basically, my opinion is that this a good game and I am looking forward to the next several hundred pages of naysaying.

What are your settings and what are your PC specs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Am I missing something or do Qunari females only have hairstyles in line with their horn styles?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

hobbesmaster posted:

Rendering frames on a computer is completely different than capturing rays of light on film or an image sensor.

To expand on this, there's no blur when rendering, which is something that happens naturally when you're letting light into a lens for 1/24th or 1/30th a second. It's very slight, but it does a ton to smooth out the difference between frames.

This can be implemented in games, but a lot don't do it for the same reason some people dislike motion blur on individual objects (it can be harder to track details). I think The Witcher 2 and Firefall both had options for it. It makes things feel ridiculously smooth.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

quaunaut posted:

Am I missing something or do Qunari females only have hairstyles in line with their horn styles?

Horns are hair for Qunari.

pentyne posted:

What are your settings and what are your PC specs?

i7, 16gb ram, GTX 770. Everything on high or ultra except for shadows and vegetations which are medium. And no MSAA, because it is just bad times in Frostbite.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Horns are hair for Qunari.

Well, great. So literally none of the things shown in ingame art, concept art, or even a few screenshots are there. Every hairstyle is so short as to be pretty much exactly the same. Ugh.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

There are over 40 radically different endings in the game, so I'm fairly sure that every conceivable outcome can be achieved in the game. Beyond that, the devs have stated multiple times that every decision you make during the game affects the final outcome.

There's an ending with a red beam, a blue beam, or a green beam, multiplied by the seven different people you can gently caress, multiplied by 2 to for the stayed together/broke up option for each, which is reflected in the 2-second shot of their face. That gets 42 us to radically distinct BioWare style endings, and we haven't even counted "didn't buy the game" and "quit halfway through" yet!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Lemming posted:

I have now heard Wizard, Fighter, and Rogue is Vanguard.

I find it hard to believe that all three are Vanguard.

To clarify, I would like to be a class that violently charges into enemies, explodes, regenerates to full armor/health/shield/magic whatever, and beats the hardest difficulty while completely ignoring my teammates.

Thank you.

Edit: I forgot to add that also it would be nice if my character could please be screaming the entire time.

http://fat.gfycat.com/HelpfulAcademicIndianabat.webm

Check out Vivienne's barrier. The answer is Knight Enchanter.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Fantastic party banter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxf7cIyPePw

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

http://fat.gfycat.com/HelpfulAcademicIndianabat.webm

Check out Vivienne's barrier. The answer is Knight Enchanter.

Yes, yes. I am at peace -__-

THank you, gamer friend

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Your Rain posted:

The only other game I play is cs, I never go under 300 fps in that game and when it dips anywhere lower than 144, I can tell the fps has changed and it's not pleasant. If you watch dragon age cut scenes you can tell the fps is extremely low and changes a lot.

When I was on my 780, it was stuttering a lot as well. My fps would display 30 constant, but you can tell every second there is a stutter, it's really bad

I'm going to wait for nvidia to come out with driver update hopefully on release that support SLI so I can go grab another 980 and hope there is a mod/patch that dramatically change the combat, it's really not playable for me and I really want to enjoy this game to the fullest :'(

Bullshit. Maybe this is you trying to justify an expensive rig, but 144 fps is not giving you a headache by being too slow.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What is this trailer game?

I linked it in the OP under DLC, since it gets you ugly (so ugly) weapons if you finish it.

quaunaut posted:

Well, great. So literally none of the things shown in ingame art, concept art, or even a few screenshots are there. Every hairstyle is so short as to be pretty much exactly the same. Ugh.

None of the hair is good, really. I wish they'd let us poach the companion hair styles or something, because I prefer Cullen's hair to the styles the PC can use.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Karnegal posted:

Bullshit. Maybe this is you trying to justify an expensive rig, but 144 fps is not giving you a headache by being too slow.

Thats not what he said at all :v:

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
I cracked and pre-ordered. Please don't suck!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It really feels like they intended you to play a ranged character. Melee feels really clunky, not to mention that chain pull skill inexplicably doesn't work on wildlife which means welp have fun switching characters if you want to snipe wildlife for any of the requisitions.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Lemming posted:

I have now heard Wizard, Fighter, and Rogue is Vanguard.

I find it hard to believe that all three are Vanguard.

To clarify, I would like to be a class that violently charges into enemies, explodes, regenerates to full armor/health/shield/magic whatever, and beats the hardest difficulty while completely ignoring my teammates.

Thank you.

Edit: I forgot to add that also it would be nice if my character could please be screaming the entire time.
I say rogue because I remember some stream with some sort of charging ability. The guy was playing a rogue. Don't know about the regeneration part though.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I had gotten pretty far into the game and decided to start over. I just wasn't feeling my mage. I think I like my new 2 handed warrior better. When do you unlock advanced classes? Maybe that would have made Mage more fun.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Goddamnit. Goddamnit. Goddamnit.

I didn't want to open myself up to be hurt again, but I can't help but get a little excited about this game.

I think I have Bioware stockholm syndrome. I don't want to play it but a lot of the stuff coming out is actually looking legitimately fun. And if the main game sucks, maybe it'll be like ME3 where at least the multiplayer is good?

Was talking on the phone with my mom about the game this past weekend. A few years ago, I got her to play DAO, which she fell in loving love with. She played DA2, against my urgings not to, and ended up thinking it was a pile of poo poo as well. She's excited for DAI and informed me that she bought me a copy as an "early Christmas present."

Long story short, I guess I'm now in this ship of fools with you all as well.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Inverness posted:

I say rogue because I remember some stream with some sort of charging ability. The guy was playing a rogue. Don't know about the regeneration part though.

Warriors absolutely have a charging sprint ability.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Rogues also have a charging sprint ability. As do Knight Enchanters.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Inverness posted:

You guys are thinking of the Tempest Rogue (Check the op for skills)

He gets a slow-time ability, and a couple other self-AOE effects.

Edit: And from the looks of it, if you max out the tree, you can endlessly chain the exilirs into each other, kinda like an advanced ABC (Always be charging.)

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Ok, driver crash at the party of the intro where you choose how to attack the breech. How many things can we get wrong, EA?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Is there a mass effect vanguard equivalent, and if so what is it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

Ok, driver crash at the party of the intro where you choose how to attack the breech. How many things can we get wrong, EA?

If your driver crashes, bsod and all thats AMD's fault, not Bioware's.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

cheesetriangles posted:

I had gotten pretty far into the game and decided to start over. I just wasn't feeling my mage. I think I like my new 2 handed warrior better. When do you unlock advanced classes? Maybe that would have made Mage more fun.

This is an important question. If I don't get to become a knight enchanter and teleport into people pretty quickly, that will defeat the purpose!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Jackie D posted:

Is there a mass effect vanguard equivalent, and if so what is it

Not really, but Knight Enchanter is in the same vein of "warrior Mage".

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care

Mordiceius posted:

Goddamnit. Goddamnit. Goddamnit.

I didn't want to open myself up to be hurt again, but I can't help but get a little excited about this game.

I think I have Bioware stockholm syndrome. I don't want to play it but a lot of the stuff coming out is actually looking legitimately fun. And if the main game sucks, maybe it'll be like ME3 where at least the multiplayer is good?

Was talking on the phone with my mom about the game this past weekend. A few years ago, I got her to play DAO, which she fell in loving love with. She played DA2, against my urgings not to, and ended up thinking it was a pile of poo poo as well. She's excited for DAI and informed me that she bought me a copy as an "early Christmas present."

Long story short, I guess I'm now in this ship of fools with you all as well.

This is exactly my feeling on the past few Bioware games. I feel like until they put out a game that's just completely unplayable, I'll end up buying their poo poo just because I enjoy their storylines. As bullshit as the ending of the Mass Effect series was, I loved getting there. And as bullshit as the repetitive gameplay of DA2/the ending of that story was I enjoyed it more than most games. Maybe we're just in an age where I'm old and jaded now and hate most of the poo poo that gets queefed out and a simple game where pixels tell me I'm a hero without a lot of effort makes me happy. I don't even know.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Geostomp posted:

Not really, but Knight Enchanter is in the same vein of "warrior Mage".

Well what at least will have me screaming "Hahahaha gently caress you!" the most as I crush folks?

edit: are there hammers maybe?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Karnegal posted:

Not bullshit if he did something stupid like disabling vsync. You'll see screen tearing if you do not have a complete frame ready at whatever rate your monitor is being driven at, 33 fps will look just as odd as 144 fps on a 60Hz display.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

hobbesmaster posted:

Not bullshit if he did something stupid like disabling vsync.

lol, fat chance becoming a pro player with vsync on, might as well turn off your monitor.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cheston posted:

To expand on this, there's no blur when rendering, which is something that happens naturally when you're letting light into a lens for 1/24th or 1/30th a second. It's very slight, but it does a ton to smooth out the difference between frames.

This can be implemented in games, but a lot don't do it for the same reason some people dislike motion blur on individual objects (it can be harder to track details). I think The Witcher 2 and Firefall both had options for it. It makes things feel ridiculously smooth.

The motion blur as a post process effect is nothing like what happens if you simulate the lighting and motion properly using ray tracing. No video game can do that currently, you jump to hours per frame from frames per second when you do that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Has anybody had issues with the Origin downloader going backwards? I was at 33% awhile ago on the preload and it dropped down to like 24%, been away from my computer for awhile but I assume it happened again because the expected finish time moved up again. Is it a display issue or something else going on?

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
Is there a way to turn off the camera recentering in tactical mode when you select another party member. It is really annoying.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm pretty sure the tactical camera is designed to be annoying. Is there a way to force it to let you zoom out more?

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

So, the 30 FPS cutscence/dialogue is apparently a Frostbite "thing". There is a way around it posted in this Youtube video.

You basically paste: -GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+` into the shortcut properties just like you would if you were enabling a developer console. Hope this helps some goons out.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Holy loving lol somebody upgraded from a 780 to a 980 for this game to the tune of 600 dollars? At near max settings (minus the MSAA) I get 60 fps at all times outside of the weird 30 fps during cutscenes. And I have a 760. What the gently caress man? Who throws money down the drain like that?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

DrNutt posted:

Holy loving lol somebody upgraded from a 780 to a 980 for this game to the tune of 600 dollars? At near max settings (minus the MSAA) I get 60 fps at all times outside of the weird 30 fps during cutscenes. And I have a 760. What the gently caress man? Who throws money down the drain like that?

Single, no kids.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DrNutt posted:

:liara:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

DrNutt posted:

Dude said he got a 144hz refresh-rate monitor. Like I mean, we're not talking about an ordinary mortal.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

First Impressions:

Just spent six hours putting around Redcliff and I think I enjoyed it? It's got me doing the whole "not even bothering with the main quest" thing that TES has never really managed to pull me into, so I guess it must be doing something right. Open world has just about the right content density, I think. Not really all that open, though- wandering into an area you're not high enough level for yet is a good way to get your poo poo wrecked. Combat is... okay, not great. I'm playing it as a hack-and-slash most of the time and in that mode it's the bland but filling unseasoned white rice of games. Interface is awkward but not unusable- the worst of it is the loving range limit on the interact mechanic. If I'm out of range just move me closer, game! It's okay, I give you permission to move the character for me. :cripes:

Visually it's wonderful. Not just on a technical level- I'm quite taken with the art direction and the environment design too. Redcliff's lightly wooded hills and crumbling ruins are well put together. Though, this is the first region and I would expect it to be the most polished. For reference, I'm running it on an i7-2600k w/ 8GB RAM and a GTX 970, on Ultra (w/o MSAA) at 1920x1200. The game is silky smooth everywhere except in the cinematics, where I'm getting some rather irritating stutter. I don't mean, y'know, that they play at 30fps- I knew about that- I mean actual stutter, like it's struggling to render the thing. It is a little weird. I've had a few other minor graphical glitches (Varrick clipping through the floor, some psychedelic colour gently caress up in character creation/when some background program tries to steal focus), but nothing major, and no CTDs- despite repeatedly alt-tabbing out of the thing.

So, in review: achieves or surpasses basic competency in all areas- my only complaint is with the stability of the thing. If there's anything truly spectacular here I haven't gone far enough to find it yet.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Vehementi posted:

Well what at least will have me screaming "Hahahaha gently caress you!" the most as I crush folks?

edit: are there hammers maybe?

Great news you can get a giant gently caress off warhammer.

• Locked thread