Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If anyone wants to be my BF4 friend my PSN is surrealchemist. I have zero people on my list that own the game on the platform. I have just been joining pub servers and messing with gadgets most of the time and unlocking things. I bet it would be more fun if people I could communicate with were in my squad and my things like spotting, blowing up enemy gadgets etc. might be more helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Should I do first-person mode for my first time through GTAV? :ohdear:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

404notfound posted:

It's not like you can't try both, you know. It's just a button press away.

Personally, I'm looking forward to playing as Michael and Franklin in first person, but Trevor? The further I can get away from seeing the world from his perspective, the happier I am.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Is BF4 actually playable now? I heard a bunch of horror stories about it before I got my PS4, and never ended up buying it once I finally got the system. Was looking at the new CoD today and thinking about how I wanted a good multiplayer shooter.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

dirtyfrog posted:

Ugh. Got GTA, Dragons Age and Far Cry coming tomorrow, and know there's no way I'll get all of them installed with the drive space I have free. So I'm finally going ahead with the 2tb upgrade. Not only have Sony not yet implemented hard drive transfer (so I've got to download all my games again), I can't even backup my saves to USB en masse, you're forced to do it game by game. Considering this upgrade is officially supported and not some hack, it's loving annoying that they make it so difficult.

And on top of all that, you can't download/copy a save file back onto the PS4 until after the game for it has been installed.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

404notfound posted:

:nws:Maybe?:nws:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Mandrel posted:

Is BF4 actually playable now? I heard a bunch of horror stories about it before I got my PS4, and never ended up buying it once I finally got the system. Was looking at the new CoD today and thinking about how I wanted a good multiplayer shooter.

It is perfectly playable. It can be very fun when you are in a good squad that can actually focus on one thing instead of playing hopscotch around the map.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

lmao

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Dragon Age Multiplayer is looking pretty good. Might even be better than the single player game

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Mandrel posted:

I haven't had any issues in the past month or so I have been playing. If you are going to get it, the digital premium version through PSN is probably the way to go. You pay $60 and get the base game plus all the DLC packs which ends up being cheaper since I don't think they have a premium physical copy.

I bought the game used, and then ended up just buying the premium digital because it was only $10 more than premium at the time and you don't have to put a disk in every time you want to play a few rounds.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Thank you Rockstar I have been waiting my whole life for a blow job in 1st person

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

You can't even tilt the camera down to see the action.

1.5/10

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This'll be a lot of gamers' first experience with that in first-person :v:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

That clip is gonna send Oculus Rift orders through the roof.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Earth Table posted:

Anyone who's played both Destiny and COD:AW recommend one over the other?

Looking to get some shootmans going with the new system and I'll wait for Far Cry to drop in price.
Destiny has a terrible/non-existent story and I found it to be a boring grindfest. AW on the other hand has a surprisingly good campaign and again it boasts the best multiplayer shootymans in the business.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

destiny has really bad and few multiplayer modes/maps.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Earth Table posted:

Looking to get some shootmans going with the new system and I'll wait for Far Cry to drop in price.

I played about 70 hours of Destiny, but I traded it in for COD:AW. So far I think that was a good decision. It really depends on what you want out of your shooter though. COD:AW gives you exactly what you expect up front, but does it better than other recent CODs. Destiny, on the other hand, can provide some pretty great times, but you have to willing to work for it and look past the grind.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Final Stand gameplay trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC2bsG4vVG4

Can't wait for tomorrow. It's a shame my connection has suffered from lag spikes this past week, all of a sudden. I'd hardwire it but I am a poor who rents a room in someone elses house. Also I vastly prefer AW to Destiny. I still play it daily, while I can't really stand to play Destiny anymore. To be fair I didn't get to the endgame content.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Harlock posted:

Dragon Age Multiplayer is looking pretty good. Might even be better than the single player game

Man I'm like 99% sold on Far Cry 4 as my snow day purchase tonight but the multiplayer sounds really tempting in Dragon Age. I never got into the other games in the series (actually, the same goes for Far Cry, I've never played those) but Inquisition looks really good.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

XenoCrab posted:

I played about 70 hours of Destiny, but I traded it in for COD:AW. So far I think that was a good decision. It really depends on what you want out of your shooter though. COD:AW gives you exactly what you expect up front, but does it better than other recent CODs. Destiny, on the other hand, can provide some pretty great times, but you have to willing to work for it and look past the grind.

Looks like ill pick up AW on the way home from work. Thanks all.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
A friend is moving to Tokyo to work there for a few years. He's trying to decide if he should buy a PS4 here and then use a power converter when he gets there or wait and buy a PS4 over there.

Any advice on power issues or region issues that he should be aware of?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I have both and I prefer Destiny but I understand that I am dumb and wrong.

Destiny plays like Halo, if you liked Halo it's Halo, except it's missing vehicles really. AW is not entirely Call of Duty because of the dodging but it's not really that different either. It still feels like Call of Duty. I've always preferred Halo to Call of Duty (well except Halo 4) and Reach was probably my most played shooter, Destiny is like Halo Reach 2: Grindy RPG edition, which is fine with me.

AW does remind me a lot of BlOps2 though which was my favorite COD up until now so it's still good don't get me wrong. It just comes down to what style of shooter you prefer.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
As far as a PvE shooter is concerned I think Destiny is the best there is right now. At the very least it will give you a lot to do if you can get past some of its flaws. PvP though I still feel is pick your poison. You can have plenty of fun with multiplayer in any of the shooters on the market.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Ularg posted:

At the very least it will give you a lot to do if you can get past some of its flaws.

More accurately, Destiny will give you the same few things to do over and over again. I liked the game when it came out and I've put plenty of time into it, but I soured on the whole thing very quickly once I had something else to play (in this case, AW).

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Probad posted:

More accurately, Destiny will give you the same few things to do over and over again. I liked the game when it came out and I've put plenty of time into it, but I soured on the whole thing very quickly once I had something else to play (in this case, AW).

True, but it's really no different than any other game out there. It just seems to grab some people the wrong way who just put a poo poo ton of time into it than grumble about it. There's only so much content developers can make, Blizzard still can't keep up with their playerbase.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

goferchan posted:

Man I'm like 99% sold on Far Cry 4 as my snow day purchase tonight but the multiplayer sounds really tempting in Dragon Age. I never got into the other games in the series (actually, the same goes for Far Cry, I've never played those) but Inquisition looks really good.
I'm a dipshit who hasn't learned not to preorder Bioware games so I'll be jumping on the train to Inquisitionville in 5 hours. I'll be doing SP first, but happy to do a trip report in here if you don't feel like reading the PC crying about mouse binding in the DAI thread.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I enjoyed Destiny doing strikes and raids with friends but the multiplayer is a tremendous step backwards from Halo.

If you're looking for a fun multiplayer FPS I'd play BF4 if you like huge maps with lots of people and vehicles and just blowing poo poo up in general. Advanced Warfare is great if you preferred CoD and the exo jumps and boosts are a great addition to the gameplay, plus all the customization options and special versions of regular weapons are really cool. I think AW is up there with CoD4 and Black Ops for quality and fun.

Though tonight I'll be one of people waiting for DAI to unlock at midnight, game looks awesome. Especially since there aren't any good RPGs on new consoles yet.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Ularg posted:

True, but it's really no different than any other game out there. It just seems to grab some people the wrong way who just put a poo poo ton of time into it than grumble about it. There's only so much content developers can make, Blizzard still can't keep up with their playerbase.

I think it's different in that Destiny so obviously wants to be the game you play day in and day out, but doesn't put forward anything particularly compelling. The PvE is less interesting than other PvE games, and the PvP is less interesting than other PvP games. It has good fundamental gunplay and movement and it has hints of charm that could turn into something by the time Destiny 2 comes out, but I can't imagine playing it regularly until then.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Probad posted:

I think it's different in that Destiny so obviously wants to be the game you play day in and day out, but doesn't put forward anything particularly compelling. The PvE is less interesting than other PvE games, and the PvP is less interesting than other PvP games. It has good fundamental gunplay and movement and it has hints of charm that could turn into something by the time Destiny 2 comes out, but I can't imagine playing it regularly until then.

Yeah I think the gunplay is what keeps me going. I've been dying for a good shooter with "infinite" content. This game would have really benefited from Warframes level generation.

And yeah, PvP is pretty standard take it or leave it. I like the longer TTK pvp games but the netcode in this kinda voids that.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I really feel like the net code in Destiny is good and I feel bad when people complain about it because it's solid as heck for me (for an online game) AW frequently turns into a weird slide show for me and it drives me nuts because it's supposed to be fast.

BF4 is probably really solid by now too I forgot about it since I haven't played it since PS3.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
BF4 is really fun now and has been since at least the end of summer when I picked it up for PS4, I think anyone that enjoys BF type games would like it a lot. It's really the only game like it out there and it runs really well considering all the explosions, buildings being destroyed, and tons of vehicles and people running around.

If you play BF4 you should really try the Gold Headset with it sometime, the surround works perfectly with it. You can easily tell what direction a sound is coming from. It's saved my rear end a lot when I hear someone running around near me and I can tell what direction they're in and what room/stairwell I'm likely to find them in.

The surround sound doesn't seem to work very well with AW, I can never tell what direction sounds are coming from like I can in Destiny or BF4.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MMD3 posted:

A friend is moving to Tokyo to work there for a few years. He's trying to decide if he should buy a PS4 here and then use a power converter when he gets there or wait and buy a PS4 over there.

Any advice on power issues or region issues that he should be aware of?

You may or may not know this but many places, including all of North America, use the same power as Japan.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Mandrel posted:

Yes, BF4 owns.

So does COD.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm a dipshit who hasn't learned not to preorder Bioware games so I'll be jumping on the train to Inquisitionville in 5 hours. I'll be doing SP first, but happy to do a trip report in here if you don't feel like reading the PC crying about mouse binding in the DAI thread.

Yes please. I went ahead and dropped my FC4 preorder because I'm really confident I'll love it and wanna play something at midnight but LBP3, GTAV, and DA:I are all basically neck & neck for my next purchase. I usually have a pretty low tolerance for RPGs, I like the combat and party building but it's a very rare game where I have any interest at all in the story so they kind of live or die on their mechanics for me; I wanna know how Dragon Age plays out in that regard. Choices about who you're gonna kill or get your dick wet with in the cutscenes or whatever don't really hold my attention but choosing character builds, party composition, etc are all cool to me so I'd love to know how that plays out

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Earth Table posted:

Forget both those games and get wolfenstein unless mplayer is really important to you.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Earth Table posted:

Looks like ill pick up AW on the way home from work. Thanks all.

You made the right choice.

I pre-ordered the special editions of both. Was super hyped for Destiny and, because of CoD:Ghosts, not expecting much from AW.

Destiny was a massive disappointment. It's now the only other game that I have ever regretted pre-ordering, the first being Brink. I'm probably never going to play those first two DLC expansions that I've already payed for. Destiny absolutely deserved all those 6 and 7 scores it received.

AW, on the other hand, has already become my most enjoyed and most played game this year so far, winning me over enough that I went ahead and bought the Season Pass today becauseI will be coming back to its multiplayer at least until Black Ops 3 next year. I think it's the best CoD since MW2. And the single player campaign was a pretty fun distraction too this year.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

goferchan posted:

Yes please. I went ahead and dropped my FC4 preorder because I'm really confident I'll love it and wanna play something at midnight but LBP3, GTAV, and DA:I are all basically neck & neck for my next purchase. I usually have a pretty low tolerance for RPGs, I like the combat and party building but it's a very rare game where I have any interest at all in the story so they kind of live or die on their mechanics for me; I wanna know how Dragon Age plays out in that regard. Choices about who you're gonna kill or get your dick wet with in the cutscenes or whatever don't really hold my attention but choosing character builds, party composition, etc are all cool to me so I'd love to know how that plays out

Can you shareplay Dragon age?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Mandrel posted:

Yes, it is playable. As far as multiplayer goes, there's nothing like it on the system. There are tons of ways to be a useful teammate - you don't have to (and oftentimes shouldn't) focus on kill:death ratio.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Am I the only one who just can't buy a Battlefield or COD because of the quick sequel turnaround? $60 per game, $50 per Season Pass, and they'll basically be obsolete in 1-1.5 years. I honestly wonder if they might get more sales if they offered upgrade packages, but revenue would probably be lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

BreakAtmo posted:

Am I the only one who just can't buy a Battlefield or COD because of the quick sequel turnaround? $60 per game, $50 per Season Pass, and they'll basically be obsolete in 1-1.5 years. I honestly wonder if they might get more sales if they offered upgrade packages, but revenue would probably be lower.

It depends on how invested you are. I've gotten nearly 300 hours out of BF4 and I knew I was going to get a lot out of that game early on so I got the season pass. I also play with a wonderful group of PC goons so it made no sense not to. I also had BF4 on PS4 and played with some great euro goons there, but since I played that version less often I didn't get premium.

If you are worried about longevity, you can always forego the season pass, pick one of the two games a year to play. So this year you should buy CoD AW and stick with vanilla. The vanilla community on even bad Call of Duty games still keep a pretty healthy playerbase. Then if you want you can get the next CoD, and still skip the season pass. Or if you want a break you can get the Battlefield game that year.

• Locked thread