Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

BlitzBlast posted:

Gundam markers aren't acrylic so trying to use an alcohol/water based thinner will not work.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, that was the source of my confusion about acrylic thinner washes. When I googled what sort of paint gundam markers are, I somehow found multiple forum posts saying they're acrylic. Knowing that they're enamel explains a lot. To be clear, I'm talking about the paint pens.

Thanks!

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
To be honest nobody seems to be able to agree on just what gundam markers are.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I guess it's just a gundam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lvJ6eFcCJE

That was probably like the gundam equivalent of quoting borat huh

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 17, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

BlitzBlast posted:

Gloss paint just matches the sheen, it doesn't keep the properties of a gloss coat.

There's a difference? I was under the impression that gloss is gloss. Washes don't work optimally on flat paint because the surface is rough and acts like a sponge; I assume any gloss paint wouldn't have that issue.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I've messed with gloss paint before and it doesn't feel particularly sticky so v:shobon:v.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, that was the source of my confusion about acrylic thinner washes. When I googled what sort of paint gundam markers are, I somehow found multiple forum posts saying they're acrylic. Knowing that they're enamel explains a lot. To be clear, I'm talking about the paint pens.

Thanks!

Actually when I was experimenting with panel lining using different washes and techniques I found using acrylics to be more annoying and give a sub-par result compared to using a small nib marker or an enamel wash. No where near as much control over it as a marker and it didn't engage the wizardry of capillary action like the enamel wash.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The reason you use a gloss coat is because unlike straight gloss paint its designed to harden as a protective layer, which protects your model from flaking and allows you to layer and do washes without risking all your work as readily.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone seriously interested in using markers should take a look at refillable markers in my opinion, instead of using gundam markers. Assuming you aren't just buying markers that are the color of the gundam's plastic to cover sprue cuts that is.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Just got a shipment of kits in from HLJ. This month's haul:

HGBF Lightning Gundam
HGBF Gundam Ez-SR
HGAW Gundam X
HGUC GM Quel

Just a heads up for anyone considering ordering the Lightning Gundam: it does not include the parts needed to transform it into its flight mode. If you want to do that, you have to purchase the Lightning Back Weapon System kit, which is an extra 6 dollars (5 euros) or so, plus whatever impact the extra box would have on the final shipping & handling fees.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I also just bought a Gundam X and am wondering if blitzblast gets newtype flashes when it happens

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Every time somebody in this thread buys a Gundam X, I know.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i pretty much only bought it because i saw you post the Kai colors of the GUndam X one time and I went 'that's super sick because it looks like the crossbone x-2'

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

You guys totally got me interested and I looked up what a Gundam X looks like and now I'm glad I have personal preferences because I laughed and didn't buy it

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

signalnoise posted:

You guys totally got me interested and I looked up what a Gundam X looks like and now I'm glad I have personal preferences because I laughed and didn't buy it

How does it feel to have no soul?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You are possibly the first person I have ever met who didn't like the Gundam X's design.

Hell people who don't even like the show generally agree that the X looked cool at least.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

signalnoise posted:

No wonder you're friends with Dickeye. Badpinions aplenty to be had!!!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

signalnoise posted:

I also dont care for x gundam designs. I have never seen any of its media. X Maoh is cool, but only because it has a laser skull chest.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
If you give a single drat about what kits other people buy or don't buy you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

Put another way, please don't poo poo up the thread with that sort of thing.

edit: not that we're there yet but it was getting dangerously close a couple of pages ago.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 18, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

When's that big expo where they announce all the new kits?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It starts on the 21st.

Also I have been looking all over for a decent image of the Blast Impulse, and I swear to god it just doesn't exist. Gundam Perfect File has both Sword and Force, would it have killed them to round out the trio? :smith:

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Fauxtool posted:

I also dont care for x gundam designs. I have never seen any of its media. X Maoh is cool, but only because it has a laser skull chest.

That's crossbone maoh. You can tell because its backpack is two huge rear end bones.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Uznare posted:

No wonder you're friends with Dickeye. Badpinions aplenty to be had!!!

Dickeye actually gives me poo poo all the time for the models I do like. Namely the AGE-1 models. I freely accept all criticism, I just like what I like. I said what I said before really as a "man I'm glad I didn't spend money today"

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uznare posted:

That's crossbone maoh. You can tell because its backpack is two huge rear end bones.

then i guess i dont like any of the X's
I never watched wing either. Seed was my first real exposure to gundam and that probably shaped the kinds of kits I like. Lots of guns and huge wing packs

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fauxtool posted:

then i guess i dont like any of the X's
I never watched wing either. Seed was my first real exposure to gundam and that probably shaped the kinds of kits I like. Lots of guns and huge wing packs

Oh good, so it wasn't just me. I'm not happy unless it has enough guns to level a city block, or be classed as a war crime the moment it fires at something.

Now gimme an HGCE Buster Gundam, Bandai. :arghfist::sigh:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The X is the one gundam that actually counts as a WMD though. :v:

It made the opening to one of the ACE games really silly, because after this whole montage of various robots they cut to the GX dropping a Satellite Cannon.

In a city.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm not happy unless it has enough guns to level a city block, or be classed as a war crime the moment it fires at something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXsh6bMd4J4

This good enough for you?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh good, so it wasn't just me. I'm not happy unless it has enough guns to level a city block, or be classed as a war crime the moment it fires at something.

Now gimme an HGCE Buster Gundam, Bandai. :arghfist::sigh:

If you want warcrimes, you want the Duel, and a mockup of a civilian shuttle. But I'm with you here; I love big backpacks and I cannot lie. If it doesn't look :rice:, it needs some fins.

It's one of the reasons the Kampfer is on the list of must-buy kits. It's got boosters, spikes, and guns out the rear end. Its the Tokyo Drift of mobile suits. Which after I finish my Thunderbolt Zaku II (tomorrow I'll be dedicating a lot of time to this because I also have to do this 'unplug for a day' thing for my health class), Kampfer, Sinanju, and Kshatriya are up.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Warmachine posted:

If you want warcrimes, you want the Duel, and a mockup of a civilian shuttle. But I'm with you here; I love big backpacks and I cannot lie. If it doesn't look :rice:, it needs some fins.

It's one of the reasons the Kampfer is on the list of must-buy kits. It's got boosters, spikes, and guns out the rear end. Its the Tokyo Drift of mobile suits. Which after I finish my Thunderbolt Zaku II (tomorrow I'll be dedicating a lot of time to this because I also have to do this 'unplug for a day' thing for my health class), Kampfer, Sinanju, and Kshatriya are up.

I should hope the Powered GM Cardigan is going on your list, then. That thing is made of guns and I can't wait for it to be released.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Warmachine posted:

The scene with a shuttle being shot down happens in every gundam series doesnt it? Same with fighting too close to earth's gravity and having to re-enter the atmosphere. More recently, that good guy that died earlier is actually alive and now a bad guy in a stupid mask.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Speaking of favorite robots, does anybody know how the 1/144 Hildofr is? That tank alone pretty much made MS IGLOO worth it, and I was wondering if it was worth the price.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

freedom with meteor pack is better :smuggo:

What is the X for? Is it a capacitor of some sort or cooling fins?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Fauxtool posted:

It's a microwave receiver. The Satellite Cannon is a giant microwave laser. The moon base sends the X power, because a mobile suit alone can't power the Satellite Cannon.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

everythingWasBees posted:

Speaking of favorite robots, does anybody know how the 1/144 Hildofr is? That tank alone pretty much made MS IGLOO worth it, and I was wondering if it was worth the price.

Hildofr came out under the EX line, which were more like traditional model kits in that they required cement in their construction and a ton of paint to look accurate. Unless you're prepared to go full gung-ho model kit building on it and not just snapping it together over a weekend, by all means go for it. Otherwise, pass.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

The Satellite Cannon is the second most powerful beam weapon in all of Gundam. The Twin Satellite Cannon, of course, is first. The METEOR doesn't even compare.
:goonsay:

The X is a really great design because basically all of the flourishes actually have a purpose. The green gem in the torso is both a GPS and a receiver for the power station on the moon, the X and the various purple bits all over are solar panels to store the charge, and the vents all over are to help it cool down immediately after firing.

The X also doubles as a flight pack. :eng101:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

The Satellite Cannon is the second most powerful beam weapon in all of Gundam. The Twin Satellite Cannon, of course, is first. The METEOR doesn't even compare.

The X is a really great design because basically all of the flourishes actually have a purpose. The green gem in the torso is both a GPS and a receiver for the power station on the moon, the X and the various purple bits all over are solar panels to store the charge, and the vents all over are to help it cool down immediately after firing.

I have a hard time believing anything could beat Wing Zero's buster rifle for raw power, let alone on a gun that is hand-held and doesn't need to hook up to external power.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Mecha Gojira posted:

Hildofr came out under the EX line, which were more like traditional model kits in that they required cement in their construction and a ton of paint to look accurate. Unless you're prepared to go full gung-ho model kit building on it and not just snapping it together over a weekend, by all means go for it. Otherwise, pass.

I'll wait until I start painting my kits then. Thank you very much!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

chumbler posted:

I have a hard time believing anything could beat Wing Zero's buster rifle for raw power, let alone on a gun that is hand-held and doesn't need to hook up to external power.

haha what

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

chumbler posted:

WZC ain't poo poo. :smuggo:

The Double X is hilarious because they built the thing to store energy even faster than the X, and ended up gathering so much energy they had to fire it out of two cannons.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the satellite cannon is a better MAP weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlitzBlast posted:

seed had many more powerful weapons like Requiem and the Alaska base unless you only mean ones that fit on a mobile suit.