Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
TF2 doesn't seem dead to me, there are always full and almost full servers with people better than me (not hard)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW

ropesnake posted:

^ tf2 has been dead for years now and it happened at the exact moment when 90% of the community servers vanished.

Yeah, most of the community servers I played on here in Australia (Anarchy, DoP, alt gaming) are all gone.
Smurfy is the only decent one left that isn't just trade/idle maps and saxton hale.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
To be fair, a 7 year old game isn't going to have the peak of community owned servers as it used to. I am curious to see how TF2 will fare if Overwatch turns out to be any good.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Today I spent a round just destroying two scouts who proceeded to cry that I was obviously cheatin, but apparently if I owned an unusual I wasn't cheating! I do not own an unusual, so I guess Gaben is going to come to my door and arrest me for TF2 hacks. The best thing was that I was using the FaN, a weapon that I goddamn hate using because it makes firing while jumping lovely and the knockback that's usually pretty pointless since if you get enough damage to knock them back you probably would have finished them with another anyway, and you've just gone and give them some distance between you.

Pepsi_TV posted:

hey airblast you got a unusual ? if yes your not cheating if no youre cheating

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Has anyone seen anyone using the RoflBox or whatever hack it is that spams the hack in chat every 3 seconds? I've not been playing a lot of TF2 lately, but a few months ago there was a week or two where every other Valve server had one of those taunting-while-speedhacking-constantly-critting-superheavy hackers. Are those days in the past? Is hacking still a big deal on public servers, where it's so common for new players to see hackers, and automatically assume that anyone better than them is automatically also a hack-user?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I've only ever seen one guy who I could comfortably say was hacking. A heavy who would kill us within a second on the other side of the map if he had line of sight on you.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I've only ever seen one guy who I could comfortably say was hacking. A heavy who would kill us within a second on the other side of the map if he had line of sight on you.

I tend to catch one or two every night I play, if you're killed by a default sniper I've found there's an excellent chance. If you get killed by midair headshot or something and see default in the killcam, spectate them a bit: they'll often give themselves away by flipping around and nailing a cloaked spy.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Otacon posted:

Has anyone seen anyone using the RoflBox or whatever hack it is that spams the hack in chat every 3 seconds? I've not been playing a lot of TF2 lately, but a few months ago there was a week or two where every other Valve server had one of those taunting-while-speedhacking-constantly-critting-superheavy hackers. Are those days in the past? Is hacking still a big deal on public servers, where it's so common for new players to see hackers, and automatically assume that anyone better than them is automatically also a hack-user?

I see them occasionally. I ran into one a little while back that aaaalways landed with his scattergun, and then went heavy and literally every single time I entered his field of view I was instantly greeted with a hail of minigun fire. And that was one of the less obvious ones. The more obvious ones use the type of hack that has them constantly twitching around, basically trying to look around them constantly so the hack can lock right onto anyone around them.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
I don't get why people think TF2 is dying. As long as people keep spending money, Valve will keep updating the game.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, doesn't TF2 still bring in more money despite having like 1/5 the playerbase of DOTA?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

:suspense:

:fap:

This right here is why I hope TF2 doesn't die. Pipe aiming on an air target to juggle him until his invincibility wears off. gently caress your Dotes.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Magypsy posted:

I don't get why people think TF2 is dying. As long as people keep spending money, Valve will keep updating the game.

I was being melodramatic, but over the past month it really has become vastly harder to find populated non-Valve servers that aren't instant respawn and/or 32 man bullshit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gabriel Pope posted:

I was being melodramatic, but over the past month it really has become vastly harder to find populated non-Valve servers that aren't instant respawn and/or 32 man bullshit.

Only the past month? Try since 2011 when quickplay was put in the game. Populated+quality community servers all but disappeared at that point.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I think that a significant part of this is that Valve has increased the number of official servers as part of quickplay. It used to be fairly hard to find a PST Valve server, but now there are what, two dozen? I miss my community servers, but not enough that I'm going to join a new community server and put up with whatever weirdo bullshit they want to run people through.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, doesn't TF2 still bring in more money despite having like 1/5 the playerbase of DOTA?
From SteamDB:

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

xzzy posted:

Only the past month? Try since 2011 when quickplay was put in the game. Populated+quality community servers all but disappeared at that point.

It wasn't when quickplay first came out; it was when valve added the option to filter between community and valve servers but defaulted the option to just valve. I kind of wish they would let some custom maps be allowed in quickplay, just so people have a reason to search for community servers again.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

The Kins posted:

From SteamDB:

Sorry, what's that measuring? Number of players, or money?

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.
Number of players. If you check Steam's stats on any given day, DOTA tends to have about 10x as many players and CS:GO about 3-4x as many players as TF2.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mango gay touchies posted:

Every month that valve doesn't abandon TF2 to work on dota full-time is a small miracle

i'm not sure why people keep parroting this dumb poo poo when if you ask any players of any valve ip they'll probably go 'i wish valve would work on this game instead of [other game]'. all it really comes down to is valve's weird as gently caress desk-scooting model and they're not going to drop anything because they can more than afford to keep developing everything while still making bank.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

For those of you who like the Demoman to be about demolition and not pirates, knights or demonstrations, there's an excellent new set up on the workshop, and an amazing new stickybomb launcher.

FWD. FWD. FWD. RE.
Jul 16, 2008

BillehS posted:

It wasn't when quickplay first came out; it was when valve added the option to filter between community and valve servers but defaulted the option to just valve. I kind of wish they would let some custom maps be allowed in quickplay, just so people have a reason to search for community servers again.

The server browser is better than quickplay anyway*, but can you really blame Valve for doing this? There were (is?) so many lovely servers running with fake bot counts that exist solely to get ad views from players, not to mention all the servers with "premium" perk garbage.

Imagine being a brand new player and getting this poo poo instead of a "real" TF2 server:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxEvEwJt7g

Or being killed repeatedly by an engineer who can build 3 sentry guns or a soldier with a 20 clip rocket launcher or whatever other perks you could buy. I wouldn't be surprised if new player retention went way up after Valve defaulted to their own servers for quickplay.

*Even using the server browser was becoming a pain in the rear end back then; unless it was a Valve server or you knew the server was legit you had a 75% chance that the server you were trying was just a garbage ad server (remember when old threads had methods to block/bypass Pinion in the OP?)

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Now I remember why I switched to valve servers. I don't care about skill levels, I only play this game to shoot some mans for half an hour. Most community servers are complete garbage last time I checked.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Quick play did not ruin tf2, 24/7 servers did.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

FWD. FWD. FWD. RE. posted:

The server browser is better than quickplay anyway*, but can you really blame Valve for doing this? There were (is?) so many lovely servers running with fake bot counts that exist solely to get ad views from players, not to mention all the servers with "premium" perk garbage.

Imagine being a brand new player and getting this poo poo instead of a "real" TF2 server:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxEvEwJt7g

Or being killed repeatedly by an engineer who can build 3 sentry guns or a soldier with a 20 clip rocket launcher or whatever other perks you could buy. I wouldn't be surprised if new player retention went way up after Valve defaulted to their own servers for quickplay.

*Even using the server browser was becoming a pain in the rear end back then; unless it was a Valve server or you knew the server was legit you had a 75% chance that the server you were trying was just a garbage ad server (remember when old threads had methods to block/bypass Pinion in the OP?)

Yeah, it was unfortunate that quickplay was abused like that and I don't blame Valve for making the change. It's just unfortunate that many of the community servers I use to visit rarely fill up anymore.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ColHannibal posted:

Quick play did not ruin tf2, 24/7 servers did.

While those servers suck, they have existed for as long as TF2 has so I don't think that is an accurate claim.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Magypsy posted:

For those of you who like the Demoman to be about demolition and not pirates, knights or demonstrations, there's an excellent new set up on the workshop, and an amazing new stickybomb launcher.

Give me a sticky where launcher detting only blows up the last sticky fired, but any other of your stickies caught in its explosion explode with it letting you get some weird in between of stock and SR.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dr. Dos posted:

Give me a sticky where launcher detting only blows up the last sticky fired, but any other of your stickies caught in its explosion explode with it letting you get some weird in between of stock and SR.

I like this idea and think it deserves some research.

Either do it like you described ("last in first out") or like the existing sticky launcher behavior ("first in first out"). Maybe have it so you can only have two live stickies at a time, so firing a third blows one up the same way that firing a 9th blows one up right now. That way you could keep the existing right click behavior that blows all of them up.

sure you can
Nov 3, 2008

Dr. Dos posted:

So it'd work like bomberman's bombs then.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's a meme in the comp community that "tf2 is dead" because people have constantly stated this since pretty much the start.

TF2 is a loving solid game that is unique amongst shooters. There is nothing even close to it for what it does. Even if overwatch is good I bet people still play tf2 as well.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sometimes it is difficult to tell how hard I should roll my eyes when people talk about how the third most played game on Steam is dead

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

It's dead inside.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

Well if this year's Halloween is anything to go by, then I can't disagree with you. :smith:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope the next Halloween thing is Gorge or 5Gorge done up like a Haunted House.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

Watch it be ctf_boofort, tc_hydro_spooky or a terrible official map Valve will have made between now and next October but purple with skeletons everywhere.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Magypsy posted:

Watch it be ctf_boofort, tc_hydro_spooky or a terrible official map Valve will have made between now and next October but purple with skeletons everywhere.

Or it could be something awesome like rd_asteroid_event (I can't think of a punny name, sorry) with a bunch of Sci-Fi/Horror B-Movie monsters or something. :colbert: Who doesn't want to run around a haunted moonbase??

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
My favourite thing in tf2 is playing on a server with other regulars and someone on the other team is having a really good game and then I try to shut them down and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but it's exciting!! shoutout to my boy 'babby' who did a sick 180 noscope midair rocket on me when I was bombing his medic. It bounced me over the cliff on upward and I yelled I R L. tf2 aint dead, tupac aint dead, gently caress the haters. peace.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
If you want to know what's really killing TF2, it's the Valve servers suddenly adding 200 to everybody's ping every night.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

TF2 is not dead he just went home.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CoolCab posted:

Sorry, what's that measuring? Number of players, or money?
Oops, sorry. It's number of players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
TF2 got about 10x more fun for me since I learned to rocket jump. Last night I jumped through the window overlooking the final point in part 1 of thunder mountain & killed everyone up there, probably my favourite thing Ive done in the 250 hours or so Ive played :)

• Locked thread