Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yannick_B posted:

DC built hype in the shittiest way possible, during an Investor call/meeting. It was almost reverse-hype building. Still, he is right but WB is being sort of dumb about their competing Movie and TV division.

This is the real issue with the shows and movies being separate. With SHIELD and Daredevil being part of the MCU and made under the Marvel Studios umbrella, they're going to avoid harming those brands. With DC's TV production being all over the place and the movies being mostly under WB directly, and there being no direct relationship, you get this sort of stuff.

Plus, there's the whole conference call vs what Marvel and Disney did, with a huge-rear end press event that had Evans and RDJ present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Us comic nerds know that the DC TV and movie's are completely separate but most people see what Marvel is doing with Shield and the movies and assume that DC is the same. So yes, people will probably ask what the gently caress when there is a new actor playing the Flash.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They have handled it badly no doubt about that, i'm content to have Amell in LEGO Batman 3.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Us comic nerds know that the DC TV and movie's are completely separate but most people see what Marvel is doing with Shield and the movies and assume that DC is the same. So yes, people will probably ask what the gently caress when there is a new actor playing the Flash.

I still just want the DC movies to all fold in and for WB to just put all their comics money into tv shows. Plus the idea that Amell is going be Green Arrow in everything forever is a fantastic thing to me .

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

He also mentioned that the movie doesn't come out for 4 years and he had a talk with Geoff Johns shortly after the announcement and came away feeling good about things.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yannick_B posted:

DC built hype in the shittiest way possible, during an Investor call/meeting.

This is the bigger issue. They got spooked by all of the Marvel hype and just farted this all out during an investor meeting, and in the process coincidentally stepped on The Flash's toes because they did things in a half-assed and uncoordinated way. And it's not like they aren't already 5 years behind Marvel anyway, so why get impatient at this point?

They could have established the brand and built off the popularity of the show, instead they hyped the show for months then after the second episode they made an announcement which seemed like they were already moving past it. It's just shoddy marketing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guy A. Person posted:

This is the bigger issue. They got spooked by all of the Marvel hype and just farted this all out during an investor meeting, and in the process coincidentally stepped on The Flash's toes because they did things in a half-assed and uncoordinated way. And it's not like they aren't already 5 years behind Marvel anyway, so why get impatient at this point?

They could have established the brand and built off the popularity of the show, instead they hyped the show for months then after the second episode they made an announcement which seemed like they were already moving past it. It's just shoddy marketing.

You're talking about a company that just announced a movie for a character that almost nobody likes (Cyborg) starring an actor that has never acted in anything but stage productions six years in advance. Positioning the the cart poorly in front of the horse is kind of their thing.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Deadpool posted:

You're talking about a company that just announced a movie for a character that almost nobody likes (Cyborg) starring an actor that has never acted in anything but stage productions six years in advance. Positioning the the cart poorly in front of the horse is kind of their thing.

It was news to the Cyborg actor as well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Still better than the guy Marvel got for Quicksilver though!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Aphrodite posted:

Which one

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Aaron Johnson of Kick-rear end

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

hiddenriverninja posted:

Aaron Johnson of Kick-rear end

Also Godzilla and a bunch of other films.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

It's weird, because everyone bitches about how controlling marvel's management is and how similar all of their movies feel.

DC's movie division is what happens when you don't have any management whatsoever. I can't even gin up any outrage at how piss poor everything has been handled because it is so comically inept.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I just want Superman to fly around and punch dudes.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Yannick_B posted:

DC built hype in the shittiest way possible

Fits well with their production process.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The comics are even worse. so at least they are consistent in one way.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

The comics are even worse. so at least they are consistent in one way.

I remember in the 00s that DC was the franchise considered generally better because Marvel had done tons of "epic issue arcs" and was confusing as poo poo. Then DC caught up with Infinite Crisis and since they have vomited out a new arc every chance they get.

Now they're both completely impenetrable to a new reader, and even trying to go back and read a detailed wiki of the lore is almost incomprehensible.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

pentyne posted:

I remember in the 00s that DC was the franchise considered generally better because Marvel had done tons of "epic issue arcs" and was confusing as poo poo. Then DC caught up with Infinite Crisis and since they have vomited out a new arc every chance they get.

Now they're both completely impenetrable to a new reader, and even trying to go back and read a detailed wiki of the lore is almost incomprehensible.

This is where I'm at. I stopped reading comics when Civil War was starting up and I tried to get back in a couple months ago and just decided gently caress it.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

comically inept.

Tee hee.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

What's wrong with him?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

And which Quicksilver? The one in Days of Futures Past or the one in Age of Ultron? Because I thought the former was done pretty well, and the latter hasn't had his chance yet so its kinda early to assume he sucks. :shrug:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Taylor-Johnson was pretty dull and wooden in Godzilla, but that's probably due to the ham fisted story about the military guy trying to get home to get laid in the wake of a giant monster attack. :v:

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 18, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Only one of them is Marvel's Quicksilver.

Xachariah posted:

What's wrong with him?

Did you see Godzilla?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, the one that is Magneto's son. :colbert:

It'll be interesting to compare the special effects between all three speedsters once Avengers 2 is out. Flash's so far have been really good, especially for a tv show.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GreenNight posted:

They'll probably react like when Amazing Spiderman was announced, i.e. not caring.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Aphrodite posted:

Did you see Godzilla?

Godzilla was great, you shut the gently caress up.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Epi Lepi posted:

Godzilla was great, you shut the gently caress up.

Yeah, I thought Matthew Broderick was seriously underrated in it.

Oh, wait...you mean...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's about a half hour of Godzilla that's good. The 15 with Bryan Cranston and the 15 with Godzilla.

It's probably less than a half hour since some overlaps.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Can we talk about the score? If my DVR was a VCR, I would've broken the tape from rewatching the wall-running and water-running sequences just to listen to the music cues. The music in this show compliments the onscreen action without imposing over it so well, plenty of film composers could take lessons.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Aphrodite posted:

There's about a half hour of Godzilla that's good. The 15 with Bryan Cranston and the 15 with Godzilla.

It's probably less than a half hour since some overlaps.

I dare you to go here and say that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think I can take them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CD is bonkers about poo poo. Like "Michael Bay is actually an incredible director" and "Battleship the greatest movie of 2013".

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

zoux posted:

CD is bonkers about poo poo. Like "Michael Bay is actually an incredible director" and "Battleship the greatest movie of 2013".

Isn't that mostly SuperMechaGodzilla?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And his legions of imitators. But no those are widely held opinions over there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, but didn't they originate with him? He has a weird hold over CD, like I can never tell if people are honestly agreeing with him or just playing along with his schtick.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Michael Bay's non Transformers films really are well directed though. Their kind of like Platinum games, just every frame overloaded with a ton of stuff to which an excruciating amount of detail has been paid attention to. Even the Transformers films are like that but everything about them that isn't visuals is so terrible directing isn't going to make up for it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aw geez thought this was the chat thread, sorry Deadpool.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

greatn posted:

Michael Bay's non Transformers films really are well directed though. Their kind of like Platinum games, just every frame overloaded with a ton of stuff to which an excruciating amount of detail has been paid attention to. Even the Transformers films are like that but everything about them that isn't visuals is so terrible directing isn't going to make up for it.

Visuals aren't everything (and don't forget about the DP). There's also intent, what's meant to be communicated, editing (supervising the editor, check out this youtube clip of Scorcesse editing with Schoonmaker), dialogue, etc.

When has Bay ever excelled in close to all of them? Pain and Gain being the exception of course.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Both Bad Boys films are flawless.

Actually they have one flaw: they must end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Aphrodite posted:

Both Bad Boys films are flawless.

Actually they have one flaw: they must end.

Well, also Tea Leone isn't in the second one. :mad:

• Locked thread