Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Delta IV rocket is one of the two rockets that came from the Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle program (aka "If Boeing and Lockheed Martin won't stop suing each other, we'll make them work together!")

For those not familiar with rocket science, the simple way to increase payload mass is to use more rocket to lift it. The first stage of the Delta IV is called the Common Booster Core.

The Delta IV has variants that use anywhere from 1 to 5 strap-on solid rocket boosters to boost larger mass payloads to orbit. Here's one with two solid rockets

In its largest form, the Delta IV heavy leaves those boosters behind and simply uses 3 Common Booster Cores. The outside ones run at full throttle and the center one is throttled down to conserve fuel for when the weight of the extra two boosters has been thrown off.

In its Heavy configuration, the Delta IV prepares for launch by, at T-7, purging and cooling the engines with a burst of hydrogen fuel (going from cryogenic to gaseous takes a huge amount of energy and cools everything around it.)

This leaves the problem of a massive cloud of hydrogen gas around the rocket; the gas is ...

Promptly

Burned

Off

The orange paint on the fuel tanks is formulated to attract free hydrogen in the atmosphere and to hold it there burning in a controlled manner rather than risk forming bubbles or pockets of hydrogen in the atmosphere that could explode.

The rocket is supposed to be on fire. It's a safety feature.

With what may be the final flight of the Delta IV Heavy nearing, I urge all of you to watch the test flight and reentry of the Orion Module on December 4 (check the Spaceflight megathread in Sciences, Academics, and Languages for further info.)

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 03:57 on Nov 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GWBBQ posted:

This leaves the problem of a massive cloud of hydrogen gas around the rocket; the gas is ...

Promptly

Burned

Off

Wait wait wait... They douse the rocket in liquid hydrogen, and then ignite that hydrogen, for a net decrease in temperature? Really illustrates the difference in heat transfer between liquids and gasses.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

GWBBQ posted:

The orange paint on the fuel tanks is formulated to attract free hydrogen in the atmosphere and to hold it there burning in a controlled manner rather than risk forming bubbles or pockets of hydrogen in the atmosphere that could explode.

I was reading along, looking at the pictures and thinking "why the gently caress do they bother painting it if it's going to be on fire a second later", and hit your explanation right on cue. Science is loving amazing.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Chamale posted:

Wait wait wait... They douse the rocket in liquid hydrogen, and then ignite that hydrogen, for a net decrease in temperature? Really illustrates the difference in heat transfer between liquids and gasses.

No, they vent liquid hydrogen through channels between the inner and outer walls of the rocket nozzles to cool them, which then ignites via atmospheric oxygen when the rocket motors ignite. Space Shuttle Main Engines do the same thing with a closed system that routes the hydrogen from the fuel tanks, through the rocket nozzles, then through the turbopumps to the engine combustion chambers. The flame temperature is so hot that you have to have an actively cryogenicly cooled nozzle made of the highest temperature alloy that we know of just to keep it from melting during operation.

Even more :black101:, the inner wall of the RS-68 engine is designed to slowly burn away while the engine is running. The carbon-rich exhaust gives the plume a yellow color, in comparison to the transparent flame from the SSME, even though both engines use the same fuel. Who cares if you partially slag your motor if you're just going to throw it into the sea when you're done, right?

CommanderApaul has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Nov 20, 2014

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

G'drat, space and everything we do it in it so loving :black101:

Above: Austronaut Bruce McCandless tests his space suit's human poop capacity.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

JoelJoel posted:

G'drat, space and everything we do it in it so loving :black101:

Above: Austronaut Bruce McCandless tests his space suit's human poop capacity.

"Eat up, Jimmy. Oh, and there's this chocolate milk too."

"Chocolate milk? I didn't know we had chocolate milk."

"Yeah, or would you rather have strawberry? Just have it all and go on this spacewalk for us, okay?"

"What do you want me to do out there?"

"Oh, you know, whatever comes naturally."

Yeah, space stuff is genuinely the most badass poo poo us humans do.

The only human not in this picture, including those that have ever lived, is Michael Collins:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Oil well fire extinguisher:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Taeke posted:

The only human not in this picture, including those that have ever lived, is Michael Collins:

One of the only times a selfie would have been acceptable.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Pneub posted:

Nice try 40k junkie, but fool me once...

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

The God of all lunatics everywhere.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

This is the High Pressure Oxygen Turbopump from the Space Shuttle Main Engine. It's sole job is to pump liquid oxygen from the low pressure oxygen system into the high-pressure system and feed it into the combustion chamber. It has a power output of over 23,000 horsepower.

CommanderApaul has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Nov 21, 2014

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Q!=e, phone posting

CommanderApaul has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Nov 21, 2014

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Variant_Eris posted:

You might need to explain that one a bit- not everyone has read every scrap of copypasta.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
Old Man Henderson

Variant_Eris has a new favorite as of 00:35 on Nov 21, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Variant_Eris posted:

I don't get it.

Yeah, I am not reading that.

volcultsmer
Dec 18, 2004
I ated the purple berries

Pneub posted:

Yeah, we use jet engines to blow out the fire, no biggie! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM3IDkIzp2w

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Pneub posted:

Is that a literal tank chassis that's mounted on?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Tracula posted:

Is that a literal tank chassis that's mounted on?

Yup, the good old T-34 no less.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Nordick posted:

Yup, the good old T-34 no less.

It's actually two MiG engines strapped to the T-34, for added badass.

funtax has a new favorite as of 07:00 on Nov 21, 2014

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

funtax posted:

It's actually two MiG engines strapped to the T-34, for added badass.

See, we can create this for good, but nothing else Red Alert-esque?! I demand Mammoth Tanks within the next 2 years damnit.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

GWBBQ posted:

I mean, I guess it makes sense (aside from your explanation) considering they can't seem to not set them on fire anyway.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Solice Kirsk posted:

See, we can create this for good, but nothing else Red Alert-esque?! I demand Mammoth Tanks within the next 2 years damnit.
Does it count if it doesn't have a turret? Because West Germany made this in the 70's.

The Americans also made a 'Super Ontos' around the same time, with 2 105mm guns/recoilless rifles in an unmanned(?) turret.

And finally Russians made the 2S35 Koalitsija-SV in ~2005. People are on this, man.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Malleum posted:

Does it count if it doesn't have a turret? Because West Germany made this in the 70's.

The Americans also made a 'Super Ontos' around the same time, with 2 105mm guns/recoilless rifles in an unmanned(?) turret.

And finally Russians made the 2S35 Koalitsija-SV in ~2005. People are on this, man.

I'm not seeing anti-air missiles on any of these...AWAITING ORDERS!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Is that a wolverine?

e: no it's a polar bear haha

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Sled dog.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Taeke posted:

"Eat up, Jimmy. Oh, and there's this chocolate milk too."

"Chocolate milk? I didn't know we had chocolate milk."

"Yeah, or would you rather have strawberry? Just have it all and go on this spacewalk for us, okay?"

"What do you want me to do out there?"

"Oh, you know, whatever comes naturally."

Yeah, space stuff is genuinely the most badass poo poo us humans do.

The Terrible Secret of Space is that if you even breath in the wrong direction you are totally and utterly hosed.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Choco1980 posted:

The Terrible Secret of Space is that if you even breath in the wrong direction you are totally and utterly hosed.

I love those religious e-mails talking about the universe being custom tailored for humans

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"Georgian Khevsur anarchists arriving to fight against the Soviet Army, 1921"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That one guy appears to be wearing medieval armor. The Russian Civil War was weird.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

ekuNNN posted:

"Georgian Khevsur anarchists arriving to fight against the Soviet Army, 1921"

There has never been a more hardcore ugly sweater party.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bury me under a naked woman!

Best headstone ever.

Buttonhead
May 3, 2005

Scariest picture in the world.

Say Nothing posted:

Bury me under a naked woman!

Best headstone ever.

Looks like she was killed by Goldfinger's younger, poorer brother, Concretefinger.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Buttonhead posted:

Looks like she was killed by Goldfinger's younger, poorer brother, Concretefinger.

Haha. That or Carbonitefinger.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Buttonhead posted:

BAHBAHBWOOOW

Concretefinger, he's the man
The man with the gorgon touch

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Blind people playing soccer. Somehow.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Stex T posted:

There's a bell in the ball, and there are guides at the side of the pitch. Amazingly the goalkeepers are sighted and people still score.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Stex T posted:

Why do they need blindfolds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

mds2 posted:

Why do they need blindfolds?

Partially sighted players play too, so everyone wears a blindfold so they can't see a thing. Partially sighted players may be able to get an advantage from seeing the light of the sun and being able to orientate themselves more quickly than fully blind players, for example.