Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Roobanguy posted:

I started to play going down and I didn't know Cyriak made it until I heard the music. That came as a surprise.

There's some downright gross biological stuff in later levels, too, as you'd expect given his usual video output. He does amazing things with just basic Doom textures.

I hope he takes off the brakes for his next project and allows himself to use new textures and Zdoom features.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
In DoomRPG/DoomRLA, how exactly do I export a character and carry them over between WADs?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

SALT CURES HAM posted:

In DoomRPG/DoomRLA, how exactly do I export a character and carry them over between WADs?

Open the DoomRPG options menu from the pause screen, it should be way at the bottom. I think you can only have one character saved per install.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Do note that character saving is currently disabled in the live version, pending a rewrite. (It's being swapped over from 40 separate integer blocks into a string, due to the amount of inconsistencies and maintenance hell it kept presenting.)

scroton_
Nov 12, 2014

Can't post for 6 days!

Segmentation Fault posted:

I love both the fantastic and practical applications of it. You can finally make moving sectors!

Ah dunno if this is what you mean but mite B relevant:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?postid=1315756#post1315756

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

jerkstoresup posted:

I made pk3s out of each DoomRPG folder and loaded them with QLZ like so:

Everything seemed to be working.

Care to share those? I can't get my head around the DoomRPG launcher and it seems to want me to put all my WADS/PK3s in a single folder? And it doesnt work with Doom 1?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
You don't need to make PK3s of the DoomRPG folders. GZDoom can take the directories as parameters. Here's my command line load out:

code:
~/Games/Doom/launchers/GZDoom.app/Contents/MacOS/GZDoom \
-iwad \
~/Games/Doom/iwads/doom2.wad \
-file \
< PUT YOUR WADS HERE > \
~/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/doomrl_arsenal/DoomRL\ Arsenal\ Beta\ 7.93.wad \
~/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/doomrl_arsenal/DoomRL\ HUD.wad \
~/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRL\ Monsters\ Beta\ 4.6.wad \
~/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRPG/DoomRPG \
~/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRPG/DoomRPG-Brightmaps \
~/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRPG/DoomRPG-RLArsenal \
~/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRPG/DoomRPG-RLMonsters
As proof, the W_Init message in launch:

code:
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding /Users/horse_mans/Games/Doom/launchers/GZDoom.app/Contents/MacOS/gzdoom.pk3, 592 lumps
 adding /Users/horse_mans/Games/Doom/iwads/doom2.wad, 2919 lumps
 adding /Users/horse_mans/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/doomrl_arsenal/DoomRL Arsenal Beta 7.93.wad, 3896 lumps
 adding /Users/horse_mans/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/doomrl_arsenal/DoomRL HUD.wad, 484 lumps
 adding /Users/horse_mans/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRL Monsters Beta 4.6.wad, 4220 lumps
 adding /Users/horse_mans/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRPG/DoomRPG, 2027 lumps
 adding /Users/horse_mans/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRPG/DoomRPG-Brightmaps, 770 lumps
 adding /Users/horse_mans/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRPG/DoomRPG-RLArsenal, 27 lumps
 adding /Users/horse_mans/Games/Doom/custom/total_conversions/DoomRPG/DoomRPG-RLMonsters, 6 lumps

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Never mind, I found that pk3s are essentially zip files. Now that I have it working I can see that this is a pretty expansive mod.

Is there a wiki or guide for this? It's a little overwhelming.

Specifically, I'm playing with RL Arsenal and I can see a lot of assemblies in the store, but I can't buy them. I've already unlocked the full list of assemblies but there lots that aren't listed, like dual uzis. It's such a tease. Like, some weapons it says I can't buy because I'm not a high enough rank, but the assembled ones it just outright says 'You cannot buy this'

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 15, 2014

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

So I decided to take an hour break from DemonSteele and cook up a multiplayer mod and people seem to like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cscP_kHCOv4

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, I remember having a mod like that for Quake 2, though it just used the regular railgun/rocketlauncher.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

TerminusEst13 posted:

So I decided to take an hour break from DemonSteele and cook up a multiplayer mod and people seem to like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cscP_kHCOv4

Ricochet with different weapons? Cool.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

nexus6 posted:

Never mind, I found that pk3s are essentially zip files. Now that I have it working I can see that this is a pretty expansive mod.

Is there a wiki or guide for this? It's a little overwhelming.

Specifically, I'm playing with RL Arsenal and I can see a lot of assemblies in the store, but I can't buy them. Nor can I find anywhere online that lists the requirement for assembling them. It's such a tease.

I'm at work right now but I'll hopefully remember to type up some words when I get home.

In the mean time

https://github.com/Kyle873/DoomRPG/wiki/DoomRL

This has some information

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 15, 2014

IHatePancakes
Jan 29, 2009
Came across this the other night. It's a concert in Doom done with some green screen trickery and with one of the guys who does remakes of the music (a la Sonic Clang and the like). Its kinda cheesy but also pretty awesome. He does a lot of my favorite songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsvvIut19uA

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That is one of the most amazingly nerdy things I've ever seen but I can't hate on it at all. It simply is.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Someone remade Brutal Doom in all it's glory for Duke3D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txqpp6Z7tOc

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

IHatePancakes posted:

Came across this the other night. It's a concert in Doom done with some green screen trickery and with one of the guys who does remakes of the music (a la Sonic Clang and the like). Its kinda cheesy but also pretty awesome. He does a lot of my favorite songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsvvIut19uA

I have no idea what I was expecting but it wasn't that. Incredible. Dudes playing the instruments need to jam a little harder though instead of just standing there, or is that a metal thing?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

laserghost posted:

Someone remade Brutal Doom in all it's glory for Duke3D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txqpp6Z7tOc

It's even more Duke Nukemier than then real thing!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
This is super cool, the world record for speedrunning Doom II has been broken, 23:03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8j2zj-A5tE

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Doom64EX blog posted this recently: http://doom64ex.wordpress.com/2014/11/14/big-announcement-coming-soon

Any guess on what those blurred screenshots are?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
That first one looks like it might have a Quake element in it? That red circle reminds me of one of the stained glass windows, but, assuming this is another N64 thing, wasn't the N64 Quake basically the same as the PC version?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Zeether posted:

Post Processing Filters?

:suicide:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I don't know what it is, but I'm almost positive I've played it before.

edit: That Doom 2 speedrun is literally the first one I've seen that doesn't use a bad scaling and a 4:3 resolution.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Third shot's bottom reminds me of the Daikatana HUD a bit...

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Amethyst posted:

This is super cool, the world record for speedrunning Doom II has been broken, 23:03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8j2zj-A5tE

He doesn't specifically mention, but was this down to route improvements or a really good run? No improvements since 2010 is really wild!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zeether posted:

The Doom64EX blog posted this recently: http://doom64ex.wordpress.com/2014/11/14/big-announcement-coming-soon

Looks kinda Quake 2-ish to me. Were there any 'big' changes to Q2 on PSX/N64?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm thinking Slavedriver, that engine for the Saturn that powered the Powerslave, Quake and Duke3D ports for the system.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Somebody in the comments tossed that out, that'd be super neat. I would love to play Powerslave with mouse and keyboard. And not have absolutely crippling strafing, like the PC version.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

catlord posted:

Somebody in the comments tossed that out, that'd be super neat. I would love to play Powerslave with mouse and keyboard. And not have absolutely crippling strafing, like the PC version.

Powerslave on the consoles was actually a completely different game than the PC version. It used a lot of the same assets but played more like Metroid, with open levels and non-linear progression.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Quake 2 N64 has completely original levels and original music.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Looks kinda Quake 2-ish to me. Were there any 'big' changes to Q2 on PSX/N64?

Q2 PSX's levels are pretty different, but not really enough to be a "big announcement"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

SwissCM posted:

Powerslave on the consoles was actually a completely different game to the PC version. It used a lot of the same assets but played more like Metroid, with open levels and non-linear progression.

Oh, I know, but the idea of being able to strafe makes me more excited than proto-Metroid Prime.

Not that proto-Metroid Prime doesn't sound super good, of course.

I just wanna shoot mummies with classy 1920's guns, really.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Quake 2 N64 has completely original levels and original music.

I liked Quake 2's single player enough that I found N64 Quake 2 to be worth playing just for the original levels, which actually got pretty creative at times.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I don't think it's Powerslave... I recall that game being a tad more yellow than the screens shown. Also having a yellowish-brown HUD, as opposed to the very-green one seen at the bottom of the blurred pics there.

Elliotw2 posted:

edit: That Doom 2 speedrun is literally the first one I've seen that doesn't use a bad scaling and a 4:3 resolution.
It even runs at 60FPS!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
It's a Competition Doom run, not a COMPET-N run, they use a variant of Chocolate rather than the original DOS EXE.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I was pretty sure a lot of COMPET-N runs were already done in chocolate doom and PrBoom+, due to having full demo compatibility in both while not having to deal with dosbox or whatever

That people have been choosing to encode lmp playbacks using a default 4:3 view was more of an aesthetic choice

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Keiya posted:

It's a Competition Doom run, not a COMPET-N run, they use a variant of Chocolate rather than the original DOS EXE.
Did anyone call it a COMPET-N run?

Nintendo Kid posted:

I was pretty sure a lot of COMPET-N runs were already done in chocolate doom and PrBoom+, due to having full demo compatibility in both while not having to deal with dosbox or whatever
aaaaaaactually no, COMPET-N demands real doom2.exe demos, which is why it's basically dead now.

Shadow Hog posted:

It even runs at 60FPS!
It surprised me to read this since I spent some time making a prboom-plus variant to allow me to capture vanilla Doom demos at arbitrarily high framerates because I couldn't find any tool of the sort. So I looked at the Youtube again, and it looks like he FRAPSed (or whatever) 35fps gameplay at 60fps, meaning there's some wonky pulldown in effect. That's probably why it looked so weird and jitt63ery at 30fps playback in Firefox.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 18, 2014

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Nintendo Kid posted:

If they were, they're in violation of the COMPET-N rules, things have to be recorded on vanilla 1.9, no exceptions. It's why there's Competition Doom to begin with, most people don't have DOS systems anymore and getting dosbox just right is kind of a pain.

Linguica posted:

Did anyone call it a COMPET-N run?
No, but I never implied anyone did. I simply pointed out a reason for not looking like it was recorded from vanilla 1.9.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Can't you take the COMPET-N demo file and just run it through a prettier Doom port so that spectators have something better to look at?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
My money's on N64 Quake 2. Quake 2 on N64 was a completely original game.

I'd love to see a PC port of console Powerslave but I don't think this is it. Powerslave looks nothing like in the screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, prboom+ will load and accurately play back demos, I'm sure that's what Nintendo Kid meant. My problem is mostly that when they do that they use the default bilinear filtering and 2x scaling, so all the sprites are muddy and nasty.