Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Skillface posted:

Is there a list for this somewhere? Ember Swallower is my jam.

I'd like to see it too, I love big red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Froghammer posted:

I occasionally wonder what strange alternate reality some people live in where they think publicly calling someone a human being isn't a fireable offense at the vast majority of workplaces.

I think it's more that people don't really understand that Twitter is public. In their defense, the real name public searchable eternal internet is totally insane.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Kemba, Kha Regent always comes to mind. Godsend is pretty bitchin' in that format. Skullclamp, Lightning Greaves, Darksteel Plate, Argentum Armor, Whispersilk Cloak. Worldslayer is mean if you can get out something like Eldrazi Monument.

Going to try and get a Godsend into the white deck, and see which swords I can get. Jitte seems like another good candidate, since it's modern banning probably kept the price reasonable.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Equipment decks in EDH are always going to be white and often mono-white. I'm just going to spout off a big list of cards I think are good in specifically that kind of deck.

Steelshaper's Gift. Mirran Crusader. Puresteel Paladin. Kemba, Kha Regent. Stoneforge Mystic. If you're interested in running RW, Sunforger is very good. Godsend. Batterskull. Loxodon Warhammer. Leonin Abunas. Leonin Shikari. Raksha Golden Cub (also a potential commander). Skullclamp.

See also the many good artifacts listed above.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

field balm posted:

I'd like to see it too, I love big red.

Skillface posted:

Is there a list for this somewhere? Ember Swallower is my jam.

I ran this list with some changes.

Mainly Soul of Shandalar was another Scuttling Doom Engine, and instead of Peak Eruptions I ran Fated Conflagration.

I went undefeated until Round 4 where I just kept really bad hands.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

MMD3 posted:

The guy whose house we play our weekly MTG night at owns binders of every set back to Alpha. Every week we rotate through different formats and tonight we are apparently going to play a "Binder Draft". Essentially we'll roll dice and highest goes first to pick a binder to build a deck with.

My question as someone who has only been playing MTG for a few years and doesn't have a mastery of all of the past sets is... what sets should I be looking at to build a deck from and what synergies or colors are going to be the most fun from those sets?

I'm at a bit of a disadvantage since most of the guys who come to this weekly game have been playing for 10-20 years and I'm the new kid on the block.

Advice?

What, like you just build one-set constructed decks out of one binder? Are you limited to four of a card? Forty or sixty cards?

Darksteel has Skullclamp. Betrayers has Jitte. Mirrodin has artifact lands, Broodstar, Frogmite, and Myr Enforcer. Urza's Saga/Legacy/Destiny may or may not have the tools for insane combo decks within a single set. You could probably make a mean, unblockable aggro deck from Tempest white or black. I don't think any tribe in Onslaught is strong enough without a full block of synergies, but maybe Lorwyn has enough juice.

Really as long as you don't choose a weak small set, or something awful like Masques block you'll be fine.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So while we were all enjoying the awesomeness of watching GP NJ, apparently there was another cheating controversy on camera during Round 13 of GP Madrid.

Long story short, Pierre Dagen cracked a fetch for a Forest and then used it to cast a Birds of Paradise from his library.

He wrote a long thing about how he had a BoP in his hand at the time and just accidentally got confused and pulled the extra one while he was fetching.

http://blog.mtgmadness.com/index.php/what-happened-in-madrid/pierre-dagen

Reading his explanation, I kind of give him the benefit of the doubt, as it would be insane to actually attempt to cheat like that on camera, and the advantage he gained from doing it was pretty marginal.

In summary, even good competitive Magic players make dumb mistakes all the time.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

I ran this list with some changes.
Love this deck, but seriously:

quote:

Jagishamesh says... #2

wow people love to steal my ideas on this website
oh magic

oh and then the comments go into deck thinning

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

TheKingofSprings posted:

What's the best direction to take an equipment EDH deck if I want to sword things really hard and really well? Like, what colours, any really good equipment I should run outside of the 5 swords, Jitte, and Butterskills?

For sure there'd be a shitload of white and that new Commander deck would be a great place to start, but what are the absolute must-use equipment and equipment support cards?

If you want to hit the hardest, you want Rafiq of the Many.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

qbert posted:

So while we were all enjoying the awesomeness of watching GP NJ, apparently there was another cheating controversy on camera during Round 13 of GP Madrid.

Long story short, Pierre Dagen cracked a fetch for a Forest and then used it to cast a Birds of Paradise from his library.

He wrote a long thing about how he had a BoP in his hand at the time and just accidentally got confused and pulled the extra one while he was fetching.

http://blog.mtgmadness.com/index.php/what-happened-in-madrid/pierre-dagen

Reading his explanation, I kind of give him the benefit of the doubt, as it would be insane to actually attempt to cheat like that on camera, and the advantage he gained from doing it was pretty marginal.

In summary, even good competitive Magic players make dumb mistakes all the time.

Panglacial Birds

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Panglacial Birds

Land Creature - Mountain Bird

They'll never make a cycle of 1/1 manlands ever and that makes me sad.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
In terms of your binder draft, are you looking at having multiples of cards, or just 1ofs, or what? Like I'd be hard-pressed to name anything but Alara if youre looking at singletons based on raw insano power alone, but Llornwyn faeries is probably the most obscene single-set collection of cards you could build if you have 4-ofs of all the poo poo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Froghammer posted:

Mageta the Lion is a haymaker and a half if you can get him online in EDH.

Truth, I love playing my Sisay deck, having people go "hurr better hope you can tutor up a Wrath with her", then saying "funny you should say that".

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
After this weekend, I'm honestly convinced that Tom Ross is probably the best Magic player on the planet. He might not be ranked #1, but I haven't seen anyone else with so finely tuned an ability to read his opponent and think X turns ahead while just being an overall chill dude.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
By what metrics do they rank the best players in the world? Is it pro points by season?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

After this weekend, I'm honestly convinced that Tom Ross is probably the best Magic player on the planet. He might not be ranked #1, but I haven't seen anyone else with so finely tuned an ability to read his opponent and think X turns ahead while just being an overall chill dude.

I guarantee you that he's going to be ranked close to there soon now that he's back on the pro tour.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Olothreutes posted:

Rhystic study is a legit EDH card. The rest are pretty awful, though.
How dare you besmirch the good name of Spore Frog!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

AlternateNu posted:

He'll be at the invitational in my city, is it super tacky to get a player to sign a card? I've got a few glistened elves...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cactrot posted:

He'll be at the invitational in my city, is it super tacky to get a player to sign a card? I've got a few glistened elves...

I had him sign a Rabblemaster for me. My friend's all LOL'ed at me when I told him that I was playing Rabble Red splashing White for Boros Charm and he said he thought of it but didn't like it.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Olothreutes posted:

Rhystic study is a legit EDH card. The rest are pretty awful, though.

also the Avatars aren't all bad and there were a few cards that weren't bad in their day and would likely see play in other formats like Chimeric Idol and Abolish

but it was such a loving bad set

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Bring a Become Immense in case he only has time to sign one card.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

TheKingofSprings posted:

What's the best direction to take an equipment EDH deck

I play Kemba commander online and I like it. Here's what's in mine:

I haven't updated it in a while, but if I was going to I would say ditch moonsilver spear and geist honored monk, find out why my Land Tax is missing, add a martial coup, Elspeth 1.0, probably some other changes are worth making. I also don't like to spend a lot and last time I checked sword of light and shadow was expensive.

Basically your spending your first several turns getting out Kemba and suiting her up, protecting her with lightning greaves which should be your first fetch with stoneforge or steelshapers gift. Then start making dudes, antheming them up and swinging for 100 with true conviction and victory's herald. I usually end up closing out more games with regular damage instead of commander damage, although you're likely to have 15 power on Kemba.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

What's the best direction to take an equipment EDH deck if I want to sword things really hard and really well? Like, what colours, any really good equipment I should run outside of the 5 swords, Jitte, and Butterskills?

For sure there'd be a shitload of white and that new Commander deck would be a great place to start, but what are the absolute must-use equipment and equipment support cards?

The scariest equipment Commander in my local group/meta is Tajic, Blade of the Legion. The guy who runs it often wins in the first five turns one on one, and does surprisingly well in multiplayer.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
You want scary equipment EDH decks? I run Jor motherfucking Kadeen, and he is a beast when he gets a Sword or two on him. Here is my list.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

LGD posted:

also the Avatars aren't all bad and there were a few cards that weren't bad in their day and would likely see play in other formats like Chimeric Idol and Abolish

Not only was it a bad set, its mechanics were unfun. Oh I have to sac lands and manaburn myself to do things?? Where do I sign up?!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

"Words aren't racist."
Wow. Just... just wow.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

AlternateNu posted:

The only thing that's kept him from being ranked near the top is his refusal to play anything but Aggro style decks in every format. If he played what people consider the "best" decks he'd be winning so many more events, but instead he'll just have to settle for being considered one of the best Aggro players ever.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

qbert posted:

The only thing that's kept him from being ranked near the top is his refusal to play anything but Aggro style decks in every format. If he played what people consider the "best" decks he'd be winning so many more events, but instead he'll just have to settle for being considered one of the best Aggro players ever.

I have a feeling he's fine with that.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

We stand on the pinnacle of ethics in gaming journalism, alright. :allears:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

LGD posted:

I honestly forgot that those were in that set. I actually ran chimeric idol in a standard deck back then, because it dodges wraths like a boss. I guess plague wind is also a card that people still run, but it has been reprinted a million times at this point.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kibler is such a smug rear end. I love it.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Brigit, Hero of Kinsbaile is a fun commander for a tron EDH deck. Grab any deathtouch-granter first and shut down anyone engaging you.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Uril, the Miststalker

Enlightened Tutor
Steelshaper's Gift
Armageddon
Ravages of War
Cataclysm
Catastrophe
Oblation
Path to Exile
Swords to Plowshares
Chaos Warp
Decree of Annihilation
Beast Within
Green Sun's Zenith
Krosan Grip
Life from the Loam
Decree of Justice
Boom//Bust
Harmonize

Silhana Ledgewalker
Stoneforge Mystic
Taj-Nar Swordsmith
Sun Titan
Godo, Bandit Warlord
Wood Elves
Eternal Witness
Qasali Pridemage
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Terravore
Sad Robot

Nahiri, the Lithomancer

Batterskull
Behemoth Sledge
Sunforger
Sword of Bears and Mill
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sword of Light and Shadow
Sword of War and Peace
Sword of Feast and Famine
Umezawa's Jitte

Mana Crypt
Sol Ring
Darksteel Ingot
Crucible of Worlds
Coalition Relic
Commander's Sphere
Boros Signet
Selesnya Signet
Gruul Signet
Talisman of Impulse
Talisman of Unity

Bear Umbra
Rancor
Shield of the Oversoul
Spirit Loop

Sylvan Library

A pile of loving lands (GOOD LUCK)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Kibler is such a smug rear end. I love it.

There's no way he doesn't get that the term "Social Justice Warrior" is used sarcastically because the people to whom it refers do not care about or believe in justice in society. That's also the dumbest argument ever. "Yeah, you're against pro-lifers? Why are you pro-death?!"

I hate that all the lovely fallout from Gamergate is making a bunch of reasonable and totally unrelated people feel like they have to comment or have an opinion on it. It's the poop that commands that you touch it. I have never ever seen a person I liked or respected comment on Gamergate and not had my admiration of them has diminish because of it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 18, 2014

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

There's no way he doesn't get that the term "Social Justice Warrior" is used sarcastically because the people to whom it refers do not care about or believe in justice in society.

I hate that all the lovely fallout from Gamergate is making a bunch of reasonable and totally unrelated people feel like they have to comment or have an opinion on it. It's the poop that commands that you touch it.

Reasonable people are usually of the opinion that people acting like assholes, are assholes.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Cactrot posted:

Reasonable people are usually of the opinion that people acting like assholes, are assholes.

My specific problem with Gamergate poo poo is that anyone commenting on it is almost immediately dragged into a flamewar with someone on the other "side," both of whom consider each other to be vile and beneath contempt and neither of whom even entertains the idea that their opposition might be motivated by anything other than Voldemort-style hatred for all things good and decent. The only way to win is not to play.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

My specific problem with Gamergate poo poo is that anyone commenting on it is almost immediately dragged into a flamewar with someone on the other "side," both of whom consider each other to be vile and beneath contempt and neither of whom even entertains the idea that their opposition might be motivated by anything other than Voldemort-style hatred for all things good and decent. The only way to win is not to play.

The irony is at this point I certainly don't and most others I would hazard also don't even know which sides there are any more? The ones who are against women and are for protecting the subculture that is gaming, or is that conflating the two, or are there people against those things?

The whole thing is so stupid you have to trawl through some terrible twitter argument to even know what is going on. gently caress that noise.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
As far as I can tell what's happened is that there was an initial spark that ticked off both misogynists in gaming and those who are annoyed with ethics, and they've been playing tug-of-war over the name ever since, but both associating with it and by extension each other and it's a giant mess and gently caress it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The irony is at this point I certainly don't and most others I would hazard also don't even know which sides there are any more? The ones who are against women and are for protecting the subculture that is gaming, or is that conflating the two, or are there people against those things?

The whole thing is so stupid you have to trawl through some terrible twitter argument to even know what is going on. gently caress that noise.

I think the whole conversation is pretty fascinating. Regardless of how things play out, it's been really surprising how many people have been coming out of the woodworks, banner-waving furiously on both sides.

The conversation has morphed a bunch though, you're right. It's hardly the conversation it started as.

• Locked thread