Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Okay, I'll bite.

I've been thinking about Christianity and atheism a lot more recently because of my neighbors I've been hanging out with. One man (the main renter) is a hardcore logical atheist. The other man, the roommate, was formerly training to be a preacher and still is a hardcore christian. There's the third one, who is a self-proclaimed atheist but because of personal happenings (What God would let these bad things happen?) And then there's me, someone who's had a lot of trauma in my life and sees God as more of an earthly being (I believe that God is people. The bible are merely guidelines and stories to how we should deal with others. There is no Hell because we currently live in it. But more on that later.) The conversations with the Christian are definitely the most interesting, but that's because he genuinely cares that you're going to burn in Hell. The bad side though is that he makes himself look more like an rear end in a top hat. He's an rear end in a top hat in general but when you had sacrilege and talking about Jesus in the mix, it makes him insufferably worse.

So, in short: if you really want to make a serious talk about Jesus, how do you make it sound less like a dick?

Note on my beliefs:

I know there's fallacies in my belief that the bible are how we deal with people, but I think as society changes, some of the ideals can be timeless. Just be good to yourself and others, brudda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

*sighs* Yeah, it was :smith:

I'm genuinely curious where you got the idea from in the first place. Sure putting "In God We Trust" on things was a public thing to do, but that was also a time where literally posting the 10 commandments on public buildings was completely uncontroversial, school prayer was still fairly common in most public schools, and all that jazz. And that stuff was even more intense before the 50s - let alone all the religous rhetoric present in American WWII propaganda (and WWI for that matter).

The "In God We Trust" thing was a reaction to the fact that religosity in public was finally starting to be challenged, yet a very large majority of the country was still religious and not in the "yeah I go to church around Christmas" sense.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Has anyone else (like the OP perhaps) cast a spell before? Please don't be afraid to share

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Why can't we all just agree to embrace sweet sweet nihilism and hope (lol) that all of existence is negated sooner rather than later?

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

My Face When posted:

Okay, I'll bite.

I've been thinking about Christianity and atheism a lot more recently because of my neighbors I've been hanging out with. One man (the main renter) is a hardcore logical atheist. The other man, the roommate, was formerly training to be a preacher and still is a hardcore christian. There's the third one, who is a self-proclaimed atheist but because of personal happenings (What God would let these bad things happen?) And then there's me, someone who's had a lot of trauma in my life and sees God as more of an earthly being (I believe that God is people. The bible are merely guidelines and stories to how we should deal with others. There is no Hell because we currently live in it. But more on that later.) The conversations with the Christian are definitely the most interesting, but that's because he genuinely cares that you're going to burn in Hell. The bad side though is that he makes himself look more like an rear end in a top hat. He's an rear end in a top hat in general but when you had sacrilege and talking about Jesus in the mix, it makes him insufferably worse.

So, in short: if you really want to make a serious talk about Jesus, how do you make it sound less like a dick?

Note on my beliefs:

I know there's fallacies in my belief that the bible are how we deal with people, but I think as society changes, some of the ideals can be timeless. Just be good to yourself and others, brudda.

I'm not sure anyone has found the answer to that one yet. Obviously, it can't be confrontational. Pope Francis recently made some waves by suggesting that maybe proselytizing is rude (obviously kyrie wasn't listening).

quote:

In the interview, the Pope also reiterated the Church grows by attraction, not proselytizing. “The worst thing you can do is religious proselytizing, which paralyzes,” he said.

Fred Clark over at slacktivist similarly argues that, as Christians have a duty to love their neighbor as themselves, they should knock it off with the conversion attempts because nobody likes that. It's un-neighborly which is perhaps the greatest of sins.

But if you're talking to someone who's interested in the whole business or discussing doctrine, it's a lot tougher. Generally, I try to be respectful and talk about moral principles (which I'm fully willing to admit can be derived entirely from extrabiblical sources, and more power to you if that's your bag) or why I believe what I believe. Trying to convince somebody that my way is the only way comes across as jackassery. I guess what I'm trying to say that if both parties in a dialogue are being respectful, then serious conversation about religious matters is possible.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Miltank posted:

I reject the authority of the Council of Nicaea.

Those fuckers overruled Arius, the One True Pope. :argh:

And Santa Claus punched him in the face!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

I'm pretty sure not believing in gods factors in there somewhere.

God has little to do with the development of religious identity. Genuine belief in god is not essential towards creation of religious community.

Since time immemorial, religion has been a lens through which to institutionalize power and codify best-practices of tradition. You cannot separate an analysis of religious identity and expression from an understanding of tax structures and state development.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 18, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Effectronica posted:

Here I thought you'd taken your ball and gone home, Dickeye.

What the gently caress? Do you really think that it's healthy to think that you're smarter than Abraham Lincoln because he was a Deist and you're an atheist? Do you really think that sort of arrogance is good, and should be proliferated across the whole world? Is it good when Christians insist that only Christianity allows moral behavior?

I'm accommodating people's beliefs.

I don't think that's really the case. Maybe for teenagers and young adults, but these are people that are probably in their late twenties at a minimum. You'd think that with a broad range of life experiences, they'd have to make a conscious effort to tell themselves that going to church (unless it's Unitarian) is a sign of evil. Maybe I'm wrong, though. I hope that isn't the case.

Hoho yes I see its a bad joke my argument is undone by dumb bullshit from a year ago good show sir

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

Since time immemorial, religion has been a lens through which to institutionalize power and codify best-practices of tradition.

It really is something how the lower forces turned Christ's message about not perptuating the corrupt material world into 'get married, have lots of kids, and do as you're told'

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."

If you think about it, Jesus was the original Judeo-Bolshevist.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Kyrie eleison posted:

This thread is for discussing Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Incarnation, the Son of Man, the Word, the Way, the Truth, and the Life, the Lord, the Light of the World, the Resurrection, the King of the Jews, the Messiah, the Savior, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.

Just to get it out of the way right now, I am posting this completely without irony. I literally believe in Jesus Christ with every fiber of my being, and there is nothing I enjoy more than talking about him. I do not in any way envy the lives of those who live without Christ; I have done my time without him, and I will never go back to that.

I go to church, and so should you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlj3HyL_6J0

The reason Christ matters more than anything else, and is in fact the only thing that matters, is that he is the only hope for your salvation. Any attempt to save yourself which involves ignoring or bypassing or otherwise denying Christ is going to fail, and is in truth the work of the Devil, designed to condemn men's souls to the eternal fires of Hell.

Behold the truth: That only God, who created the world, and has seen every life and knows every thought, can absolve you of your sins. Only his ineffable wisdom, his stern judgment, and his infinite mercy, can bring you from the brink of self-destruction, and help you to achieve your true self.

Now I expect an onslaught of people not taking this seriously, to them I say: our calendar is dated from the birth of Christ. The greatest civilization on Earth was born out of Christ. There is no issue more important or more worth discussing than the true nature of Jesus Christ. You have to take him seriously. You don't have a choice.

As a student of official Catholic teaching, the only orthodox interpretation, and as someone who has read the entire Bible, I will be happy to address any of your questions about Christ insofar as I believe you are asking in good faith or that your opinion might be convincing to bystanders. I expect a lot of responses so please be patient with me. Now, ask and ye shall receive.

Go gently caress yourself.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sidakafitz posted:

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."

If you think about it, Jesus was the original Judeo-Bolshevist.

Well, there is the whole discussion on whether the mythos of a christ figure was a mesopotamian import of buddhism

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
What would our lord and saviour Jesus Christ think of the issues of ethics in Gaming Journalism?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Phobophilia posted:

What would our lord and saviour Jesus Christ think of the issues of ethics in Gaming Journalism?

'Ask a rabbi' - ?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I was raised Mormon and attended a Mormon church for 15 years. Kyrie eleison, I find your omission of The Book of Mormon from the OP very troubling. How can you claim to be happy with your life when you have not understood the full truth of our relationship with God? You will eventually realize the error of your ways when your immortal soul burns in hell for eternity.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Salt Fish posted:

I was raised Mormon and attended a Mormon church for 15 years. Kyrie eleison, I find your omission of The Book of Mormon from the OP very troubling. How can you claim to be happy with your life when you have not understood the full truth of our relationship with God? You will eventually realize the error of your ways when your immortal soul burns in hell for eternity.

He won't burn in hell, remember? He'll just be stuck in eternal darkness.

Ex-mormon.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CommieGIR posted:

Ex-mormon.
Couldn't he be baptised retroactively and at least reach the telestial kingdom?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Mormons are not Christians- its the one thing all Christians can agree on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

Couldn't he be baptised retroactively and at least reach the telestial kingdom?

In theory, supposedly even if you accept the gospel in the afterlife, someone has to do your baptisimal work in the real world for you to be ready.

Its like a delayed heaven program. Only those who reject it in the afterlife and fail to repent are truly damned.

Miltank posted:

Not that I really care, but they worship Christ as the son of god and recognize the trinity. Pretty sure that makes them Christian.

Thats like saying Lutherans are not Christian for following the teachings of Martin Luther.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 18, 2014

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
Since this thread is a predictable shitstorm I'll just drop in to recommend that anybody seriously contemplating the philosophical issues that are being dodged by shitposting to read some Richard Mitchell writings

http://www.sourcetext.com/grammarian/

He was a classics prof at a minor East Coast school, and he wrote some really interesting stuff. You may not agree with everything he wrote, but The Gift Of Fire at least is worth reading if you like thinking about thinking.

He was kind-of goony in that he published a newsletter that he prepared by "typing" it on an old printing press directly.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Miltank posted:

I would compare them more to the Gnostics than anything else.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CommieGIR posted:

Ex-mormon.

I'm sorry but no, I prayed on this point and I am quite sure of the revelation that I received. Kyrie eleison will burn in hell.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Mormons are more like Muslims than anything else.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 18, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

I would compare them more to the Gnostics than anything else.

Restorationist Christianity.

Miltank posted:

This I gotta hear :allears:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 18, 2014

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Miltank posted:

This is a total insult to Mormonism. Mormonism is true, while Islam is false and therefore they are completely different. If anything Christianity is identical to Islam because they are both wrong.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Salt Fish posted:

This is a total insult to Mormonism. Mormonism is true, while Islam is false and therefore they are completely different. If anything Christianity is identical to Islam because they are both wrong.

Its all idolatry anyways, which is ok 'cauae you can have your idols while I have my laws and pedantic legal interpretations

also j smith totes wanted some 19th century pootytang and knew how to get it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

Cool as hell.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bwee posted:

Has anyone else (like the OP perhaps) cast a spell before? Please don't be afraid to share

I've made sacrifice to Dionysus a few times.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

emfive posted:

Since this thread is a predictable shitstorm I'll just drop in to recommend that anybody seriously contemplating the philosophical issues that are being dodged by shitposting to read some Richard Mitchell writings

http://www.sourcetext.com/grammarian/

He was a classics prof at a minor East Coast school, and he wrote some really interesting stuff. You may not agree with everything he wrote, but The Gift Of Fire at least is worth reading if you like thinking about thinking.

He was kind-of goony in that he published a newsletter that he prepared by "typing" it on an old printing press directly.

This sounds interesting, thank you.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CommieGIR posted:

In that Miltank knows nothing about either of them. Then again he doesn't know anything about his own religion either, sooooo...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How dare you insult my religion, that's so ignorant and intolerant.

In other news Mormons and Muslims worship the same dumb Moon God, what idiots.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
The verdict is in: this was a troll thread and OP is nowhere to be found.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ninjasaurus posted:

Probably.

VitalSigns posted:

How dare you insult my religion, that's so ignorant and intolerant.

In other news Mormons and Muslims worship the same dumb Moon God, what idiots.

:argh: But the sun god is superior!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SedanChair posted:

That's just coming up with stuff. Bacon said Pilate would not stay for an answer, but maybe he did. The mystical, insubstantial truth as represented by what Jesus said to the apostles wouldn't have made any sense to Pilate, and not because he was inured to it, because it's mystical hogwash in contrast to anything the dimly seen Master of the earliest texts would have said.

There is a gap between the way you're thinking about it and how I'm thinking about it. Nearly everything in the bible is political. Take the OT genocide stuff, it's not really God killed group of people X. It's more like the author of that particular section place lives in a time and place where the Jews are at war with the people he's writing about God smiting/ helping the Jews kick the rear end of in the past. The historical story the author is writing is also commentary on the political situation he lives in. Think of it like propaganda. It's just the way the texts were used and written and it was even understood in the time they were written.

The gospels are no different. They are constructed stories meant to convey a specific messages to specific audiences. Many things in them probably didn't happen. Why are each of the accounts in the gospels of the meeting with Pilate different? Jesus meeting Pilate probably didn't happen. Because only nobodies got crucified, important people were dealt with in other ways. Why would Pilate (who didn't seem to like or think much of Jews and there are examples of this I can provide) meet a Jewish nobody and talk about truth or care what a Jewish crowd thought?

So the real question is what is the intent of whoever wrote John why does he present this interaction between Jesus and Pilate in this way. What is the author of John saying and why might it be important?

I would ask the same type of questions about the OT interpretation Kyrie does. Being able to do this involves recognizing that the stories in the bible are myths: stories told by humans to communicate meaning with each other. Parts are definitely not factual. That should not be threatening to Christians. It should be especially nonthreatening to anyone who thinks Jesus is the Logos. It is a factual statement to say that the bible was written by people with agendas who occasionally made things up to try to influence the world and the people around them. Interpreting the bible as if it is perfect and directly from God is to deny a truth standing right in front of oneself. Logos-centric Christians (Kyrie) should not do that.

Which is why I'm arguing with you about the interpretation of the Pilate story.

Unrelated:

This what passes for atheism.

FFRF foundation ad. An appeal to Reason (Logos), reality, with a universalized humanism. And the cherry is the use of the word "salvation".

CommieGIR posted:

Not that I really care, but they worship Christ as the son of god and recognize the trinity. Pretty sure that makes them Christian.

Their trinity is not a trinity in the sense trinity is usually used in Christianity. But they are Christians in that they call themselves Christian and follow Jesus. They are not Christian in that they depart in fundamental ways from the rest of Christianity about things that most denominations agree define Christianity.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 18, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrandorKP posted:

This what passes for atheism.

FFRF foundation ad. An appeal to Reason (Logos), reality, with a universalized humanism. And the cherry is the use of the word "salvation".

The FFRF does a lot of good work.

BrandorKP posted:

Their trinity is not a trinity in the sense trinity is usually used in Christianity. But they are Christians in that they call themselves Christian and follow Jesus. They are not Christian in that they depart in fundamental ways from the rest of Christianity about things that most denominations agree define Christianity.

True, got me there. I looked it up and its defined as a Restorationist Christianity, which includes the Puritans and the Anabaptists.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

Well before you can define a doctrine that's nowhere in the bible as fundamental to Christianity, you have to kill and torture all the denominations of Christianity that don't agree. So mission accomplished, thanks Constantine, now we get to say who is Christian.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
im a Catholicist so I don't know if I count as Christian for this thread.

E: Oh wait forgot that KE is allegedly a Catholic, nevermind, I'm best Christian and can tell you non-trinitarians aren't Christian. You're welcome.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Technogeek posted:

Which of the following anti-Catholic terms would you prefer to use: Mary-worshipper, papist, popery, whore of Babylon, or other?

Personally I'm a fan of "popery". It somehow manages to be both classy and offensive at the same time. You really don't see that combination a lot.

I like it.

DrProsek posted:

im a Catholicist so I don't know if I count as Christian for this thread.
E: Oh wait forgot that KE is allegedly a Catholic, nevermind, I'm best Christian and can tell you non-trinitarians aren't Christian. You're welcome.

Yeah, this thread was started by a mary-worshipper, so even though you're not Christian, you're still good enough for this thread. (Renounce your blasphemy, renounce!)

Mormons are no more or less Christian than the popery, which is to say they are not Christian but pretend to be.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ninjasaurus posted:

The OP literally made the Theological Argument From Letters On The Calendar and the famed Argument From How Poor And Stupid The Developing World Is, and it took you 14 pages to work out that's a troll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Religious people have a lot in common with Anime fans. They get together each week to hear tales of heroes and villains and to discuss how those stories relate to their lives, they are inspired by their fandom to create art and literature exalting those stories and characters, and people find strength from being engaged with those stories and those communities that share those stories. Fascinatingly similar, religion and Anime.

• Locked thread