Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
This thread is for discussing Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Incarnation, the Son of Man, the Word, the Way, the Truth, and the Life, the Lord, the Light of the World, the Resurrection, the King of the Jews, the Messiah, the Savior, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.

Just to get it out of the way right now, I am posting this completely without irony. I literally believe in Jesus Christ with every fiber of my being, and there is nothing I enjoy more than talking about him. I do not in any way envy the lives of those who live without Christ; I have done my time without him, and I will never go back to that.

I go to church, and so should you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap7GXu2KOmQ

The reason Christ matters more than anything else, and is in fact the only thing that matters, is that he is the only hope for your salvation. Any attempt to save yourself which involves ignoring or bypassing or otherwise denying Christ is going to fail, and is in truth the work of the Devil, designed to condemn men's souls to the eternal fires of Hell.

Behold the truth: That only God, who created the world, and has seen every life and knows every thought, can absolve you of your sins. Only his ineffable wisdom, his stern judgment, and his infinite mercy, can bring you from the brink of self-destruction, and help you to achieve your true self.

Now I expect an onslaught of people not taking this seriously, to them I say: our calendar is dated from the birth of Christ. The greatest civilization on Earth was born out of Christ. There is no issue more important or more worth discussing than the true nature of Jesus Christ. You have to take him seriously. You don't have a choice.

As a student of official Catholic teaching, the only orthodox interpretation, and as someone who has read the entire Bible, I will be happy to address any of your questions about Christ insofar as I believe you are asking in good faith or that your opinion might be convincing to bystanders. I expect a lot of responses so please be patient with me. Now, ask and ye shall receive.

e: The man took down my song, so here's a suitable replacement.

Kyrie eleison fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Is it true that "Personal Jesus" is the official Catholic theme song?

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

Can rich people go to heaven?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Jesus' inability to magic himself a machine gun and conquer the world with god powers is pretty much the reason why a lot of people don't take him seriously. You are literally the son of god and you go and let yourself get killed, lol what a chump.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Why did people think it was a good idea to build a religion around a carpenter who got killed by a piece of wood?

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Kyrie eleison posted:

The reason Christ matters more than anything else, and is in fact the only thing that matters, is that he is the only hope for your salvation. Any attempt to save yourself which involves ignoring or bypassing or otherwise denying Christ is going to fail, and is in truth the work of the Devil, designed to condemn men's souls to the eternal fires of Hell.

If God appeared to you, and you were utterly convinced it was Him or one of His messengers (it really is Him, not the Devil, not mental illness, not drug induced hallucination), and asked you to kill a child, would you?

He has form, after all.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bertrand Russell posted:

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 16, 2014

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

It's best to invoke his name after your team gets their poo poo pushed in in CoD or IRL

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Are you part of the ley people?
If so, how do your reconcile your current behavior with Matthew 6?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

This thread is for discussing Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Incarnation, the Son of Man, the Word, the Way, the Truth, and the Life, the Lord, the Light of the World, the Resurrection, the King of the Jews, the Messiah, the Savior, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.

Just to get it out of the way right now, I am posting this completely without irony. I literally believe in Jesus Christ with every fiber of my being, and there is nothing I enjoy more than talking about him. I do not in any way envy the lives of those who live without Christ; I have done my time without him, and I will never go back to that.

I go to church, and so should you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlj3HyL_6J0

Behold the truth: That only God, who created the world, and has seen every life and knows every thought, can absolve you of your sins. Only his ineffable wisdom, his stern judgment, and his infinite mercy, can bring you from the brink of self-destruction, and help you to achieve your true self.

Now I expect an onslaught of people not taking this seriously, to them I say: our calendar is dated from the birth of Christ. The greatest civilization on Earth was born out of Christ. There is no issue more important or more worth discussing than the true nature of Jesus Christ. You have to take him seriously. You don't have a choice.

As a student of official Catholic teaching, the only orthodox interpretation, and as someone who has read the entire Bible, I will be happy to address any of your questions about Christ insofar as I believe you are asking in good faith or that your opinion might be convincing to bystanders. I expect a lot of responses so please be patient with me. Now, ask and ye shall receive.

I don't think you really believe in Jesus Christ. Oh sure, you believe in songs and feeling nice. But when it comes to the hard stuff Jesus told us to do, he seems to have few followers.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kyrie eleison posted:

Now I expect an onslaught of people not taking this seriously, to them I say: our calendar is dated from the birth of Christ.

No it's not.

Kyrie eleison posted:

The greatest civilization on Earth was born out of Christ.

No it's not.

Kyrie eleison posted:

There is no issue more important or more worth discussing than the true nature of Jesus Christ.

Yes there is.

Kyrie eleison posted:

You have to take him seriously.

No I don't.

Kyrie eleison posted:

You don't have a choice.

Yes I do.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
The fact that there are Christians who haven't read the drat Bible yet use it to harm others, who haven't been called out in mass as fake Christians by the people who actually do follow the Bible, and that their God has not come down from the heavens to reprimand them indicates to me that either that God does not exist or is an rear end in a top hat. I don't worship assholes.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
For real though why did Jesus wither the fig tree. Dumbass should have known that figs were out of season.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

AShamefulDisplay posted:

For real though why did Jesus wither the fig tree. Dumbass should have known that figs were out of season.

He was fully a man in addition to being fully God. You're telling me you've never been cranky-hungry? Take the beam from thine own eye.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
Jesus and what he taught is mostly cool. The religion that was built around him isn't.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kyrie eleison posted:

Oh god, its you again.

So I have a question about the above. Why should I worship a god who arbitrarily condemns large swaths of humanity to eternal damnation, pain and suffering largely on the basis of chance. Because lets be honest, if god exists and you only avoid hell by worshiping him properly, then god is punishing people on the basis of the uterine lottery.

The typical example of this is the tibetan goat herder who lives high in the mountains. He spends his entire life living what even Jesus would consider to be a humble existence considerate of others, then at the age of thirty he falls off a cliff and dies without ever having heard the name of Christ and thus not accepting him as his savior, maybe he worships buddah. Does he go to hell for not being baptized? If he does, why should I worship a god that is, quite frankly, malevolent at best?

If you argue that "Well he didn't hear of Jesus but knew him in his heart... blah blah blah" then how about muslims? There are approximately 1.6 Billion muslims the world over, and just as with Christianity, the single biggest indicator of whether someone will be religious in their life, is whether or not they are born into a religious culture. If you are born as a muslim in many parts of the world you are unlikely to have many encounters with christianity, you will have been told it is a false religion and the might very well end up suffering greatly if you actually do convert.

By contrast, someone born in the southern american states will often be expected by their family to adopt their religion, they'll be put into schools that drill the 'correct' dogma and so forth. So why should I worship a god that condemns 1.6 Billion humans to the eternal fires of hell based solely on the accident of their birth. I was born into a family that was virulently anti-religion, and I've never taken to church at all. Did god just hate me in advance and that is why he put me into this family?

I'm supposed to worship a creator that appears to hate me and those who are like me from before I was even born. That is pretty hosed up.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Why can't God himself be bothered to respond in this thread? For an omnipotent being, it feels like such a minor inconvenience.

I'm dead serious here, why do you expect anyone to believe in a being who won't bother to make himself directly known to the world from time to time? I'm not that impressed with weeping statutes and marks on grilled cheese sandwiches.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Caros posted:

Oh god, its you again.

I'm supposed to worship a creator that appears to hate me and those who are like me from before I was even born. That is pretty hosed up.

I think the most practical soul-lution is to Kill God using the powers of techology and then create our own kind and benevolent God with a giant robotic shell so God can enact righteousness on this earth while still having plausible fallibility "God can't be everywhere at once you know!"

Maybe we can give God a more culturally relevant name too like Love or Market Forces, depending on if it is an election year.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hey guys, I think the OP, whom I never met in my life before, is making a very good point. This guy is unto something here! I recommend we all listen him.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite song about Jesus is "The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead" by XTC. Why is better than literally the entire Christian rock genre? Discuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYupSHWEJxA

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What does God need with a starship?

More seriously, why does God demand my praise? Me praising an omnipotent being is beyond comparison to anything else, but is similar to a nematode being impressed by me. Wow, it's neat that you can talk and drive a car and think about god, it might say, good job! So what?

Also, the problem of evil has never been answered with more than handwaving. God is not good or not omnipotent. Pick one.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgNvzc-ZdME

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

CheesyDog posted:

My favorite song about Jesus is "The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead" by XTC. Why is better than literally the entire Christian rock genre? Discuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYupSHWEJxA

The only good song about Jesus is "Jesus Christ" by Woody Guthrie.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
ground goddamn floor

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSfa56tjBQo

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
John Calvin was right about almost everything except there probably is no hell

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ThirdPartyView posted:

The only good song about Jesus is "Jesus Christ" by Woody Guthrie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhkHG-oKCEU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Total depravity
Unconditional election
Limited atonement
Irresistible grace
Perseverance of the saints

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Christianity is a heretical movement which rejects Judaic jurism in order to incorporate pagan mythology and spread to a wider population base.

Roman and Russian orthodox christianity is, bluntly, paganistic in its practices, especially when it comes to the worship of a single human as a divine being.

:colbert: You use a pagan's calendar and reject the appropriate calendar.

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Kyrie eleison posted:

Any attempt to save yourself which involves ignoring or bypassing or otherwise denying Christ is going to fail, and is in truth the work of the Devil, designed to condemn men's souls to the eternal fires of Hell.

Using a calendar as justification and "proof" of your beliefs is a new one, I'll give you that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Watch this one neat trick God doesn't want you to know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyToT8jiJ4

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Celot posted:

Can rich people go to heaven?

Yes, so long as they are not consumed by avarice (or any other mortal sin), and give of their abundance to their fellow man.

Panzeh posted:

Jesus' inability to magic himself a machine gun and conquer the world with god powers is pretty much the reason why a lot of people don't take him seriously. You are literally the son of god and you go and let yourself get killed, lol what a chump.

Jesus was tempted by Satan in the desert, that if Jesus should worship the devil, the devil would grant him all of the kingdoms on Earth. Jesus refused, quoting scripture, "Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." In another passage, Jesus says, "My kingdom is not of this world." Paul says that it is Satan who is "god of this world," and although the world is viewed as inherently good by Christians (due to being created by God), it is essentially a testing ground for souls, so that they may be judged in the hereafter, and the devil is allowed to accuse us and mock us for now, until the Second Coming.

HortonNash posted:

If God appeared to you, and you were utterly convinced it was Him or one of His messengers (it really is Him, not the Devil, not mental illness, not drug induced hallucination), and asked you to kill a child, would you?

He has form, after all.

Yes, like Abraham, out of obedience to God, and trusting in his Will; and like with Abraham, God would never require evil from me, only the evidence that my loyalty is so great that I would be willing to commit evil for His sake.

RuanGacho posted:

Are you part of the ley people?
If so, how do your reconcile your current behavior with Matthew 6?

This chapter teaches that one should not boast about his righteous deeds, lest he lose his heavenly reward for them. But Mark 16:15 says, "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature."

AShamefulDisplay posted:

This is a direct reference to Jeremiah 8:13, in which Jeremiah uses the fig tree as symbolism referring to the lineage of the Israelites, in his prediction of their impending destruction due to their unfaithfulness. Jesus makes the same judgment here, predicting the siege of Jerusalem in 70 AD, similar to how he predicts the destruction of the Temple, and the coming of the Lord within a generation.

Caros posted:

So I have a question about the above. Why should I worship a god who arbitrarily condemns large swaths of humanity to eternal damnation, pain and suffering largely on the basis of chance. Because lets be honest, if god exists and you only avoid hell by worshiping him properly, then god is punishing people on the basis of the uterine lottery.

The typical example of this is the tibetan goat herder who lives high in the mountains. He spends his entire life living what even Jesus would consider to be a humble existence considerate of others, then at the age of thirty he falls off a cliff and dies without ever having heard the name of Christ and thus not accepting him as his savior, maybe he worships buddah. Does he go to hell for not being baptized? If he does, why should I worship a god that is, quite frankly, malevolent at best?

If you argue that "Well he didn't hear of Jesus but knew him in his heart... blah blah blah" then how about muslims? There are approximately 1.6 Billion muslims the world over, and just as with Christianity, the single biggest indicator of whether someone will be religious in their life, is whether or not they are born into a religious culture. If you are born as a muslim in many parts of the world you are unlikely to have many encounters with christianity, you will have been told it is a false religion and the might very well end up suffering greatly if you actually do convert.

Christ, in the fullness of his wisdom, will treat all people fairly and justly in the final judgment. God is fully aware of relative circumstance, and may judge a loyal believer more harshly for a small crime, whereas a great sinner may be loved for his small good works. Those who know of Christ, but spread evil lies about him, such as denying his crucifixion, insult him; but perhaps in his mercy he might forgive them, as he forgave his killers on the cross, saying, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." I believe it is wisest that those who know of Christ be baptized and live Christian lives rather than simply hope for mercy, which abuses God's good will, and may be viewed by him as undeserving of forgiveness. Personally, I am concerned about the safekeeping of my soul.

Solkanar512 posted:

Why can't God himself be bothered to respond in this thread? For an omnipotent being, it feels like such a minor inconvenience.

I'm dead serious here, why do you expect anyone to believe in a being who won't bother to make himself directly known to the world from time to time? I'm not that impressed with weeping statutes and marks on grilled cheese sandwiches.

God is here, in this very thread, in the form of the Holy Spirit.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
Remind me Kyrie, do you believe in literal demons and witchcraft, or am I confusing you with another zealot?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Remind me Kyrie, do you believe in literal demons and witchcraft, or am I confusing you with another zealot?

Wasn't Darkwater like that? Maybe Victor too?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kyrie eleison posted:

How can you reconcile 'Holy Spirit' with the 2nd and 3rd commandments?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ThirdPartyView posted:

Is it true that "Personal Jesus" is the official Catholic theme song?

No, you're thinking of the song "Plastic Jesus."

Kyrie eleison posted:

If the only thing that matters is Jesus Christ, why does the Catholic church spend so much effort on the veneration of Mary and the various church saints? Don't things like this distract from the pure worship of the Lord?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 16, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

You figure god wouldn't want to associate with devices perfected by a gay guy. :colbert:

You are making a lot of claims with no backing evidence. Oh, wait, faith, I forgot. You're religion is the 'One True Religion'TM

ThirdPartyView posted:

Victor, oh god I remember him. Went on and on and on...

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

ThirdPartyView posted:

They both did, but I forget whether Kyrie was of the same ilk or not.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No, you're thinking of the song "Plastic Jesus."

"Leper Messiah." :colbert:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He has to if he's a Catholic. Although we've already established in previous threads that he's a heretic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
C'mon guys rehashing philosophical arguments while getting his persecution complex stroked is why he made this thread and why do that and get 30 pages of predictable "he said this thing lol" when there is more fun posting your favorite Jesus songs.

Example featuring Miley Cyrus's new boyfriend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T9SbUfCB7A

• Locked thread