Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Sober posted:

Person of Interest :colbert:

the Relevance episode to be precise.

That episode is pretty drat awesome. I don't really know enough about filmmaking/teeveemakin' to really evaluate Jonah Nolan's directing abilities but he certainly didn't gently caress it up. I've been hoping for him to direct another episode of PoI since then and assumed he would maybe direct one episode per season but he hasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, if anyone was curious State of Affairs is poo poo. It's basically "Katherine Heigl thinks she's making the next Homeland" but instead of a tightly written and brilliantly acted character drama is basic network drama at its blandest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

pentyne posted:

So, if anyone was curious State of Affairs is poo poo. It's basically "Katherine Heigl thinks she's making the next Homeland" but instead of a tightly written and brilliantly acted character drama is basic network drama at its blandest.

So it's the more recent seasons of Homeland.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

misguided rage posted:

Is anyone still watching Hell on Wheels? There doesn't seem to be a thread and I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere. Which is a shame, because this season has been really good!

I am! And yeah, this season has been excellent. Hell on Wheels is a perfect example of a show that has gotten consistently better as it's gone along.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pentyne posted:

The show lost me at "Katherine Heigl" anyway.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Since when was Homeland a tightly written drama?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Deadpool posted:

You may as well be the voice of America saying that. I'll be shocked if it retains even half of its lead-in. I have no idea what NBC was thinking.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Wow, just got back from an advanced screening of 2x01 of 19-2 (the English-Canadian one). Holy crap, no words. They pretty much re-created the episode of the Quebecois one scene-for-scene. Of course, they got the same director back.

It's basically the episode that opens with the characters responding to a school shooting and the first act is an entire 13 minute single take. I wish I could find a clip of it somewhere, but they've all been taken down.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

As a French-Canadian I gotta say this is the last place I expected 19-2 to be brought up.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Zaggitz posted:

As a French-Canadian I gotta say this is the last place I expected 19-2 to be brought up.
That's cause no one really care about Canadian television, much less French-Canadian or Quebecois television. Then again we are probably also ignoring most European TV that isn't from the UK.

That being said I feel like Canadian prime time series have gotten better as of late. I didn't immediately hate The Listener, Flashpoint was pretty much amazing, Being Erica is my favourite out of what came out recently. Little Mosque was great for what it was doing. I wonder if anyone else has taken a look at Strange Empire - I caught the pilot and liked it but haven't gotten around to continuing yet. Though I'm also sure Book of Negroes might come up in TVIV when it comes out later (also airing on BET) next year I think.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deadpool posted:

If had just stuck around the extra 30 seconds you'd have also seen the EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: KATHERINE HEIGL

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who names their daughter Charleston

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

pentyne posted:

If had just stuck around the extra 30 seconds you'd have also seen the EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: KATHERINE HEIGL

Usually I just don't give a poo poo when someone is notoriously hard to work with but she's a terrible actress as well, so I completely agree.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Could be worse. They could have named their daughter Watusi or Bump'n'grind.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I really enjoy @midnight. It feels a lot like classic game shows like Match Game or Hollywood Squares where it's just an excuse for funny people to bounce off of each other, with a bit of British panel show for good measure.

I like what I've seen of it, but the host guy is so poo poo.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Bates Motel is pretty drat good, that's all.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Le0 posted:

Bates Motel is pretty drat good, that's all.

Is it back?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

A flapper? An avid Monopoly player? A loyal Confederate? :49:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

Is it back?

not until March

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sober posted:

That's cause no one really care about Canadian television, much less French-Canadian or Quebecois television. Then again we are probably also ignoring most European TV that isn't from the UK.

That being said I feel like Canadian prime time series have gotten better as of late. I didn't immediately hate The Listener, Flashpoint was pretty much amazing, Being Erica is my favourite out of what came out recently. Little Mosque was great for what it was doing. I wonder if anyone else has taken a look at Strange Empire - I caught the pilot and liked it but haven't gotten around to continuing yet. Though I'm also sure Book of Negroes might come up in TVIV when it comes out later (also airing on BET) next year I think.

2 weeks ago I had to stay in a hotel for a work thing for a week and Canadian TV is literally torture.

At home I get all the American channels.

Irish Joe posted:

A flapper? An avid Monopoly player? A loyal Confederate? :49:

Gum enthusiast.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

2 weeks ago I had to stay in a hotel for a work thing for a week and Canadian TV is literally torture.

At home I get all the American channels.

Gum enthusiast.

Quick question: are you under the impression that Charleston Chew is a brand of gum?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You know what, I got it mixed up with Big League Chew there.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sober posted:

I know about Murdoch Mysteries: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murdoch_Mysteries

It airs on France 3 every Sunday prime time. The main actor is a Quebecer.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

You know what, I got it mixed up with Big League Chew there.

That's alright man! Sorry if I sounded rude there. We all make Charleston-based mistakes sometimes.

Unrelated story: Last summer I was at a bar playing darts and noticed that Jeopardy was on the TV. I thought that was kind of weird until I noticed that one of the contestants was actually there in the bar with a group of friends to watch his game's broadcast. He won the match, and in his slightly buzzed celebration I heard him say something about attending the newly started bar trivia the next night at that same bar. "Oh poo poo," I thought, since I had been planning to attend with a group of friends for a few weeks. This guy was going to stomp us!! He went on to win 8 matches of Jeopardy in a row and won something stupid like $200,000.

Fortunately, the reason I heard him talking about the trivia is because he was the host. His name is Ben Ingram, and he's going to be competing in the Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions tomorrow since he won his match last Monday. He's a nice dude, super smart, writes great trivia questions. Check him out and send him all your smart vibes! (even though the match has already been filmed and decided)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

BSam posted:

I like what I've seen of it, but the host guy is so poo poo.

"HEY IF I YELL THE JOKE WILL THAT MAKE IT FUNNIER? NO? OKAY I'M GONNA DO IT ANYWAY AND ALSO THROW OUT A FEW DIFFERENT PUNCHLINES, HOPEFULLY ONE HITS!"

Chris Hardwick got his first gig hosting a dating show for MTV in the 90's and it shows.

That said, the guests are usually quite good so it tends to balance out Hardwick's mediocrity.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

lelandjs posted:

Chris Hardwick got his first gig hosting a dating show for MTV in the 90's and it shows.

Opposite Jenny McCarthy, if I remember correctly.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It makes me feel super old to see people refer to Singled Out as some kind of hazy thing in the past that they don't quite remember.

Chris Hardwick seems to have fallen rear end-first into moderate success, and even though every show that he's hosted in the last couple years (aside from @Midnight which has other people to take attention away from him) has been total poo poo, I guess at least he's still nowhere near as terrible as Wil Wheaton. Like, I was able to get through one episode of Web Soup, but I couldn't make it longer than a couple minutes watching that Syfy knockoff with Wheaton's grotesque werewolf face staring back at me.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 18, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nerds have a really bad crab bucket mentality and hate to see other nerds succeed at nerd poo poo.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

zoux posted:

Nerds have a really bad crab bucket mentality and hate to see other nerds succeed at nerd poo poo.

I like Chris Hardwick, Wil Wheaton, and Felicia Day. :shobon:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

cool kids inc. posted:

MONSTER.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cool kids inc. posted:

Yeah but you don't deny that those people can seriously cause internet people to lose their minds.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I tend to avoid media hosted by nerds because nerds generally make loving terrible hosts. Turns out that doing poo poo like playing video games or D&D doesn't generally help one's charisma. The only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are Jimmy Fallon, Patton Oswalt, Dan Harmon, and Aisha Tyler. Fallon, Oswalt, and Harmon all use their nerdy awkwardness to their advantage, while Tyler refuses to let her hobbies define her.

In a related note, I think that @Midnight and Whose Line would both benefit by switching their hosts.

[Edit: Actually a Fallon hosted Whose Line would be perfection, now that I think about it.]

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

While true, conversely nerds love holding up "nerd celebrities" as pillars of their respective fields: aka "Whedon is My Master", any time Vin Diesel is brought up in the context of DnD, and yes Wil Wheaton as well, as if he was ever a decent actor and just some dude who whored himself out for decades from being a terrible character on a sci-fi tv show

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

It makes me feel super old to see people refer to Singled Out as some kind of hazy thing in the past that they don't quite remember.

Chris Hardwick seems to have fallen rear end-first into moderate success, and even though every show that he's hosted in the last couple years (aside from @Midnight which has other people to take attention away from him) has been total poo poo, I guess at least he's still nowhere near as terrible as Wil Wheaton. Like, I was able to get through one episode of Web Soup, but I couldn't make it longer than a couple minutes watching that Syfy knockoff with Wheaton's grotesque werewolf face staring back at me.

Last night's episode he made a joke about not knowing what a public bus is since he's a millionaire.

Chris Hardwick is a millionaire. That's sad.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

lelandjs posted:

I tend to avoid media hosted by nerds because nerds generally make loving terrible hosts. Turns out that doing poo poo like playing video games or D&D doesn't generally help one's charisma. The only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are Jimmy Fallon, Patton Oswalt, Dan Harmon, and Aisha Tyler. Fallon, Oswalt, and Harmon all use their nerdy awkwardness to their advantage, while Tyler refuses to let her hobbies define her.

In a related note, I think that @Midnight and Whose Line would both benefit by switching their hosts.

[Edit: Actually a Fallon hosted Whose Line would be perfection, now that I think about it.]

Joel McHale is p great too in "nerd hosts that are excellent"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Joel McHale is p great too in "nerd hosts that are excellent"

Super buff and sexy Joel McHale is in no world a nerd.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

zoux posted:

Super buff and sexy Joel McHale is in no world a nerd.

He hosted the VGX awards last year and he just made fun of everyone and everything and made his co-host who took it super seriously really uncomfortable and it was amazing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

I guess this is directed at me? If so then no, I have no problem with nerds succeeding at whatever, I just have a problem with people that are not very funny/entertaining and are really bad at what they do, like Wil Wheaton and Chris Hardwick.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

cool kids inc. posted:

Hating Felicia Day is the stupidest thing that nerds do. She's like, the least hate-able celebrity I can think of next to like, Keith David or Morgan Freeman or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

raditts posted:

I guess this is directed at me? If so then no, I have no problem with nerds succeeding at whatever, I just have a problem with people that are not very funny/entertaining and are really bad at what they do, like Wil Wheaton and Chris Hardwick.

No it was directed at the internet at large.

• Locked thread