Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

kernel scheduling isn't a user interface. i can objectively measure how well a kernel schedules processes without ever asking a user about his preferences

for a ui, to get any meaningful information, you have to listen to users. real users.

if your users are sperglord loving systems administrators, make an interface for sperglord loving systems administrators. imagining some other audience you wish you had won't produce a good UI for the audience you actually have

i mean, gnome 3 exists. that is pretty much all i have to say to refute any argument that mentions designers: "gnome 3"

GNOME 3 is not designed for systems administrators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ahmeni posted:

I do a little bit of UI stuff at work and i try to reject as many direct suggestions from my users as possible, understand pain points instead and bring a spiked out UI to a UX and it results in way happier people all around because I know my limitations (and am colourblind lol)

My last ui product directed by like 2 guys from management and implemented by deva and it was every bit as bad as you might think.

It also used office integration heavily

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
gnome 3 is rly good if you give it a chance and work with it

i got annoyed at gnome's web browser for being poo poo at handling lots of tabs in one window, then i started keeping related tabs in separate windows and switching between them with gnome shell and it turns out to be much better!

almost like tabs in web browsers are a hack to compensate for window managers that are not up to the job

also gnome 3 w/ infinality looks so loving nice on a hidpi screen. and two-finger touchpad scrolling is buttery smooth too.

needs p thoroughly suited here

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shaggar posted:

idk what systemd is but it must be good if its making greybeards quit Linux.

it's like launchd but not as good because it doesn't have Mach underneath

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

but it's for Linux, who else would it be for…?

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mr Dog posted:

buttery smooth

no thanks

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Suspicious Dish posted:

GNOME 3 is not designed for people who use Linux.
a very worthwhile project

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

this is the problem

systems administrators, linux software developers, and scientists are the primary users of desktop linux. who is gnome 3 made for, if not the sperglords? not anyone who actually uses linux

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is the problem

systems administrators, linux software developers, and scientists are the primary users of desktop linux. who is gnome 3 made for, if not the sperglords? not anyone who actually uses linux

this is not some magical chant you can use to recuse yourself from having any sort of design consistency and professionalism

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

this is not some magical chant you can use to recuse yourself from having any sort of design consistency and professionalism

would i like it if kde came with more attractive themes by default? sure. who wouldn't.

but design is never gonna be enough to justify removing all the preferences dialogues, dropping task lists as a thing, moving to a "spatial" file manager, mangling the alt-tab menu, etc etc

design consistency is not a sufficient reason to drop features or radically change interface metaphors

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

ahmeni posted:

desktop linux has a niche. the only reason it continues to survive in a world that contains windows and os x is because it meets needs that the two polished consumer-oriented oses do not.

given this fact, it is not at all obvious that the correct goal, for people who wish to secure its future, is to try to turn it into a polished consumer-oriented os.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i actually rather like the consumer-orientedness of modern linux tyvm and i do Real Work on my linux too

biggest problem is the lack of a standardised software distribution mechanism really, it would be nice if the eventual solution to that problem didn't involve having fifty copies of libz or whatever on my system though.

more people are capable of installing a non-stock os on their computers than you give them credit for though, and they aren't necessarily complete beardlords either

some of them just like not having a bunch of shitware on their pc, or having a gui that doesn't look like rear end

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr Dog posted:

i actually rather like the consumer-orientedness of modern linux tyvm and i do Real Work on my linux too

biggest problem is the lack of a standardised software distribution mechanism really, it would be nice if the eventual solution to that problem didn't involve having fifty copies of libz or whatever on my system though.

more people are capable of installing a non-stock os on their computers than you give them credit for though, and they aren't necessarily complete beardlords either

some of them just like not having a bunch of shitware on their pc, or having a gui that doesn't look like rear end

the lack of shitware is a big selling point for me

pram
Jun 10, 2001
all desktop linux software is 'shitware'

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

holy lol perens is super eager to poo poo up the comments in all three of these lwn posts

bsd stymie you need to actually read the links, perens isn't resigning from anything. instead he's doing this weird combo of detesting how ian jackson has gone about trying to defeat systemd while also trying to align himself with systemd opponents, including lots of the usual dumbfuck :byodood:MONOLITHIC:byodood: type criticisms

in this latest one perens is a bit whiny about pushback he has gotten and started a subthread titled "Anyone who criticizes systemd has a character flaw". and then this happened:

------------
Posted Nov 17, 2014 21:11 UTC (Mon) by BrucePerens (guest, #2510) [Link]

I am going to give you an exercise. Stand around quietly for one hour in an Apple store, watching what goes on around you. Those are users. We're sysadmins. We are very much unlike the common people.

Look at their emotions. At what they are interested in. At the feeling of empowerment they get from that Apple stuff. At the way they absolutely lust for it. How did that happen? Why are we so far from what they are looking for?

Some of us will arrive at an understanding from doing this sufficiently. Some never will.
------------

------------
Posted Nov 17, 2014 21:15 UTC (Mon) by mjg59 (subscriber, #23239) [Link]

Part of how it happened was that Apple shipped an init daemon that meant users wouldn't end up with mysteriously broken systems because of a race condition at startup.
------------

ahahahahaha

pram
Jun 10, 2001
agreed, use launchd

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BobHoward posted:

holy lol perens is super eager to poo poo up the comments in all three of these lwn posts

bsd stymie you need to actually read the links, perens isn't resigning from anything. instead he's doing this weird combo of detesting how ian jackson has gone about trying to defeat systemd while also trying to align himself with systemd opponents, including lots of the usual dumbfuck :byodood:MONOLITHIC:byodood: type criticisms

in this latest one perens is a bit whiny about pushback he has gotten and started a subthread titled "Anyone who criticizes systemd has a character flaw". and then this happened:

------------
Posted Nov 17, 2014 21:11 UTC (Mon) by BrucePerens (guest, #2510) [Link]

I am going to give you an exercise. Stand around quietly for one hour in an Apple store, watching what goes on around you. Those are users. We're sysadmins. We are very much unlike the common people.

Look at their emotions. At what they are interested in. At the feeling of empowerment they get from that Apple stuff. At the way they absolutely lust for it. How did that happen? Why are we so far from what they are looking for?

Some of us will arrive at an understanding from doing this sufficiently. Some never will.
------------

------------
Posted Nov 17, 2014 21:15 UTC (Mon) by mjg59 (subscriber, #23239) [Link]

Part of how it happened was that Apple shipped an init daemon that meant users wouldn't end up with mysteriously broken systems because of a race condition at startup.
------------

ahahahahaha

Matt Garrett owns

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Soricidus posted:

given this fact, it is not at all obvious that the correct goal, for people who wish to secure its future, is to try to turn it into a polished consumer-oriented os.

by cargo culting all the worst bits of lion and windows 8

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Silver Alicorn posted:

just got GNOME/Firefox up and running after learning the new systemd thing (what was wrong with system V style scripts??)

fonts lmao

arch in a nutshell folks

you had to learn what systemd was in order to have a desktop

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

Matt Garrett owns

even awesome people can be wrong

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
posted at bruce perens

http://lwn.net/Articles/621111/

quote:

I'm expecting you to make useful, actionable criticisms about what in systemd you don't like, in ways that could actually be fixed. If you can point to some specific issue you have with systemd, that can be addressed. And in particular, anything you *think* you could address by a process change could potentially instead be addressed by fixing the code to achieve the same result.
Saying systemd needs to be developed by a battling set of adversarial teams in separate repositories, on the other hand, ranks in usefulness right around saying that it should be developed by people who park their bicycles in blue bikesheds. And it's particularly inappropriate coming from someone not actually doing work here.

There exists a set of people willing to do an enormous pile of work that nobody else has, willing to confront problems that most people just work around, and thus-far putting up with an enormous amount of snark and criticism (and worse) for doing so. And you're going to complain that they work too well together and ought to be broken up into separate projects, to satisfy some philosophical point that you care about enough to argue about but not enough to actually work on yourself?

If you don't like systemd, don't "accept" it; work on alternatives. Also bear in mind that the people working on systemd in Debian in particular have gone out of their way to keep a use case that you seem to care about alive, at significant additional effort, when other distributions have not bothered doing so. They could use some help, but you don't seem to have any help on offer.
More importantly, whether you have process criticisms or technical criticisms, or just snarky attacks, take them to some forum *other* than the comments on an article about how yet another developer has suffered attacks about systemd.

:supaburn:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

Matt Garrett owns

this

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

I would straight up murder a man to have the multimonitor workspace behaviour shamelessly copied from how OSX has done it since mavericks.

theres a solution to this

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Soricidus posted:

desktop linux has a niche. the only reason it continues to survive in a world that contains windows and os x is because it meets needs that the two polished consumer-oriented oses do not.

sperging isnt a need

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

if systemd is driving off obnoxious weirdbeards that actively fight against making things more usable for normal people because they think that they're ~special snowflake sysadmins~ then i hope it continues to win.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
we got through what, 2 whole pages without any systemd talk, gj

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

The_Franz posted:

if systemd is driving off obnoxious weirdbeards that actively fight against making things more usable for normal people because they think that they're ~special snowflake sysadmins~ then i hope it continues to win.

in debians case the obnoxious weirdbeards are driving out the people who looked at systemd with an open mind and chose to make debian better by using it

this doesnt bode well for debians future imo but i freely admit i havent paid any attention to debian before this drama so i could be stuipd or whatever

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

we got through what, 2 whole pages without any systemd talk, gj

I want to read more mailing list posts written by the Simpsons Comic Book Store Guy.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Ten years ago I got a new job that would allow me to work from home. My mom was very concerned about this for some reason.

Later that week we went to MicroCenter. We heard loud yelling, so we went to investigate. When we turned the corner, there was a big giant fat guy with a pony tail, and he was wearing rainbow-colored suspenders, and shorts.

He was screaming at a store employee about "free software video drivers".

My mom turned to me and said, "This is why I don't want you to work from home."

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Captain Pike posted:

Ten years ago I got a new job that would allow me to work from home. My mom was very concerned about this for some reason.

Later that week we went to MicroCenter. We heard loud yelling, so we went to investigate. When we turned the corner, there was a big giant fat guy with a pony tail, and he was wearing rainbow-colored suspenders, and shorts.

and that man was albert einstein

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Captain Pike posted:

That fat neckbeard then punched the salesman in the face. He said, "RMS was busy protecting your freedoms, so he sent me to fill in!"

That neckbeard was RMS.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Y'know I've been running Ubuntu GNOME for a couple of weeks now, and really its nice. Couple of extensions for keyboard shortcuts to cover my tiling needs and I'm golden.

I don't spend too much time CJing and with an Ansible setup for all my dev tools I can basically take any old box and run up my entire dev environment in 1 hour unattended, which is handy if my main craps out.

I even inflict a Linux on my family computers and as long as I keep them on stable LTS poo poo just works. No license keys, no CD hunting, image a USB and go.

It may help that I only buy games from Humble Bundle/Store these days ...

pram
Jun 10, 2001
why does your dev environment take 1 hour to provision lol

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

pram posted:

why does your dev environment take 1 hour to provision lol

That's including the format and install from nothing. I could probably image I guess but I don't care so much. Been a while since I tined it though.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
use teh cloud

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

design consistency is not a sufficient reason to drop features or radically change interface metaphors

yes it is, that's how things mature and get better
there is an entire discipline dedicated to the hard problem of UX but you're trivialising it because you consider your users special snowflakes and then suffer from it
stop confusing improvement with dumbing down

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
also it may help to note im not advocating for it to be friendly towards regular folks but that design principles apply to software for spergs too

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Mr Dog posted:

gnome 3 is rly good if you give it a chance and work with it

i got annoyed at gnome's web browser for being poo poo at handling lots of tabs in one window, then i started keeping related tabs in separate windows and switching between them with gnome shell and it turns out to be much better!

almost like tabs in web browsers are a hack to compensate for window managers that are not up to the job

also gnome 3 w/ infinality looks so loving nice on a hidpi screen. and two-finger touchpad scrolling is buttery smooth too.

needs p thoroughly suited here

jesus christ it's like i was right about everything all along

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

theadder posted:

sperging isnt a need

a thing that keeps insufferable neckbeards quietly cjing away in their basements is arguably doing a public service for the rest of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

but design is never gonna be enough to justify removing all the preferences dialogues, dropping task lists as a thing, moving to a "spatial" file manager, mangling the alt-tab menu, etc etc

boy you sure are mad about things getting better and improving with time and reflection

• design consistency and user-friendliness are absolutely great reasons to change interface metaphors
  • if you can't adapt to new workflows, you are not a power user, you are inflexible and broken and no screaming of :siren: "but my workflow" :siren: will change that
  • the preferences dialogs aren't gone, they're finally all in one consistent place (as long as the app is gtk3-friendly)
  • task lists have always sucked, there's never been a good implementation and even the major desktops who pioneered them have since replaced them with docks (long before gnome did, to be honest)
  • transparent terminal windows are for the irc windows of drydick anime boys, good riddance
  • please name one thing that the design of nautilus literally prevents you from doing (that isn't "open a tab" or some other workflow-related non-blocking non-task)
  • idg what the alt-tab hate is about just use the overview you loving nerds

someone please go take a good hard look at gedit 3.14. it's not perfect (plugins lol) but it gets some things really right

• opens up looking like a reduced notepad.exe
  • there's no File|Edit|View menus with 10 things each to click on/scare grandmas
  • all the extra functionality is exposed in the prefs window

you probably just went from the world's sparsest notepad clone to a needs-meeting sublime text-level editor. syntax coloring and themes, line numbering, code collapsing, autocompletion, documenation reference, integrated interpreter..

so it is totally possible to design desktop apps that look incredibly simple and non-threatening, but still have really great and deep feature sets that you reveal only when someone actually goes looking for it. and its not even that clever about it.