Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

LibbyM posted:

Is every "champion" version of a boss way easier than the normal, or just the ones I've fought so far? It's really strange entering a boss room, seeing it's the miscoloured special version of the boss, and being relieved.

Blue Mom likes to summon greed heads which is just the worst thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

13/f/cali posted:

Blue Mom likes to summon greed heads which is just the worst thing.

Yeah, red Mom is a breeze because most of the fight is stomping in an easy pattern.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Power of Pecota posted:

I had a Gnawed Leaf + Daddy's Love + Guppy's Hairball run earlier today and in like half the Dark Room rooms I'd just plant myself somewhere, do something else for a few minutes, and then come back.

Has anyone gotten a Meat Boy/Bandage Girl achievement from Monster Manualing them? I was doing hard mode Eden runs earlier and got a level 2 version of both, it'd be cool (and worth prioritizing Monster Manual) if that would work.

Yes, but it takes a special setup; you really stumble into it. Check my post history and you should find a guide.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Note to self: don't pick up dead onion and bob's brain in the same run.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Alkydere posted:

Hahaha, Credit Card + Blank Card. Free shops and devil deals FOREVER!

Blank Card is so OP if you find the right pick up. So much so that I'll pick it up in a shop even if I dont have a pick-up at the time. If you've done the Purist the Rune of Perthro rerolls items like the D4. Except with the Blank Card its a 4-room recharge, not 6. The only thing I cant get it working with is Pills, does it just not work for them? I wanted to max my Luck one run but it wouldnt do anything.

Also how does the Sharp Plug work? Platinumgod.co.uk says you hold spacebar to give some red heart to charge your item, but nothing happens when I try that. What gives?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
If you can get a status effect with soy kilk, it owns. Dark matter or moms contact will gently caress up pretty much every enemy with fear or freeze spam

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Logan 5 posted:

Blank Card is so OP if you find the right pick up. So much so that I'll pick it up in a shop even if I dont have a pick-up at the time. If you've done the Purist the Rune of Perthro rerolls items like the D4. Except with the Blank Card its a 4-room recharge, not 6. The only thing I cant get it working with is Pills, does it just not work for them? I wanted to max my Luck one run but it wouldnt do anything.

Also how does the Sharp Plug work? Platinumgod.co.uk says you hold spacebar to give some red heart to charge your item, but nothing happens when I try that. What gives?

Yeah, Blank Card doesn't work with pills. I guess you write the rune on the card to copy it? Or runes are basically just brand new, reskinned cards? Might be fun to cheese the gently caress out of with Suicide King + Dead Cat as well.

Oh, and important note: If you cheese a devil deal with the credit card, they DO NOT count against God rooms. I got one the very next floor after charging a fear-shot purchase to mommy's card. :v:

And have you tried holding down space? There might be some protection to keep you from fumble-fingering it. Either that or I've also heard that the sharp plug only works on fully empty items, so if your item regains a charge by killing off the room...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So curse of the blind affects the polaroid and negative. That's pretty mean if you haven't memorized which position they appear in!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Polyphemous + way too many damage ups + Guppy's head + Spider Revenge + Hive Mind = I don't even have to move in most rooms.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Logan 5 posted:

I believe for Sharp Plug to work your bar as to be totally empty. If you have one bit of charge in there at all it won't work.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
So I unlocked the final character.

:suicide:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Alkydere posted:

Hahaha, Credit Card + Blank Card. Free shops and devil deals FOREVER!

Wow, just like a real credit card! :shepicide:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, Blank Card doesn't work with pills. I guess you write the rune on the card to copy it? Or runes are basically just brand new, reskinned cards? Might be fun to cheese the gently caress out of with Suicide King + Dead Cat as well.

Oh, and important note: If you cheese a devil deal with the credit card, they DO NOT count against God rooms. I got one the very next floor after charging a fear-shot purchase to mommy's card. :v:

And have you tried holding down space? There might be some protection to keep you from fumble-fingering it. Either that or I've also heard that the sharp plug only works on fully empty items, so if your item regains a charge by killing off the room...

Tracula posted:

I believe for Sharp Plug to work your bar as to be totally empty. If you have one bit of charge in there at all it won't work.

Ah, that must be it. I dont recall having a charge but I cant think of any other reason why it wouldnt work. And the Blank Card works with Runes yes, it works just like how it does with the Tarot cards, when you have a full charge of your Blank Card and hit spacebar it will do the effect of the Rune without losing the Rune.

Does Mongo Baby replace your familiars entirely? I'm trying to do another Lost run and I got lucky enough to pick up Holy Mantle first floor again, but so far the only damage output the game's given me is lil' steven and a ghost baby from a devil room (I left the Little Planet alone, gently caress that). My latest floor had the Mongo Baby and now my other two babies are gone and he is mimicking their shots.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LibbyM posted:

Is every "champion" version of a boss way easier than the normal, or just the ones I've fought so far? It's really strange entering a boss room, seeing it's the miscoloured special version of the boss, and being relieved.
Champion Bloat is a motherfucker.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

LibbyM posted:

Yeah pretty much. Some can be a little annoying but they're mostly easier or equal in difficulty to the normal boss. The only one I can think of that's harder is blue Mom since she spawns so many enemies.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Black and Pink Widow are both really annoying because they spawn live enemies instead of the enemy spawners but then again Widow is an annoying boss in general so I guess it's not all that different.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The blank card is my new favorite item. I reluctantly grabbed it in place of my book of belial with a judas run, ended up picking up a devil card [so it was essentially a 4-turn BoB], and then once my damage was high enough I ditched it for a heirophant card that carried me through to satan. I finally unlocked the negative! Can't wait to get down there.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

E1BP
8EKA

There's a seed that starts you right next to a treasure room with the Holy Mantle if you want to get some practice with the Lost.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008

Kooriken posted:

So I unlocked the final character.

Holy poo poo I keep thinking ok let's go for the first devil deal on the second floor and check out those sweet free deals. I keep running into the loving haunt and dying every time. I just lost a run where I started with the holy mantle of all things due to the haunt. One hit from the two ghosts, and then he traps me against a wall with brimstone.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Felix_Cat posted:

Holy poo poo I keep thinking ok let's go for the first devil deal on the second floor and check out those sweet free deals. I keep running into the loving haunt and dying every time. I just lost a run where I started with the holy mantle of all things due to the haunt. One hit from the two ghosts, and then he traps me against a wall with brimstone.

Haunt is up there with double Cage and double champ Gurdy Jr as one of those really really terrible boss fights that will likely end your Lost run regardless of your layout, unless you have something loving ridiculous like TAmmy's Head+brimstone+spoon bender+a shitton of damage upgrades. But with the Haunt he shows up before you can realistically have any of that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I really wasn't expecting that much damage out of just the magic mushroom :stare:

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

I really wasn't expecting that much damage out of just the magic mushroom :stare:

some of that is probably whore of babylon.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AHungryRobot posted:

some of that is probably whore of babylon.

Yeah, but most damage boosts bring you to 4 or maybe 5 pips with whore, from 3.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
yeah magic mush gives you two points on the stat sheet so it's a lot more than most give you.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Not exactly. Keep in mind that the damage pips are an abstraction and the game does not actually measure damage that way.

For example, in the original game blood of the martyr adds +1 damage, and then also a 50% damage boost(which is huge and just gets better with more damage). Magic Mushroom adds 0.3 damage, and then the same huge 50% damage boost-but if you already have blood of the martyr or max's head or book of belail effect, it doesn't, because all of those give a 50% damage boost and you can only have one of those, none of them stack. However, the additive raw damage does stack(+1 from martyr, +0.3 from mushroom, etc).

Rebirth probably has at least slightly different numbers(and belail might stack with other multiplications now?) but the point is, don't trust the 'pips' for anything but a very loose idea of what is going on, because it will not tell you that the mushroom gives a 1.5x multiplier or whatever on top of what your the raw stat is, or anything like that. It doesn't even show you the raw stat, because it's not all integers(basically never is).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also according to platinum god magic mushroom, like the first game, does not actually increase your fire rate for who knows what reason

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
yeah i know i was just pointing out that the damage bonus from magic mushroom is significant.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
Holy poo poo monstro's lung is good for tear shotgunning.

Then you pick up Ringworm, and you get more than a full room's range with it.

Then you get Tammy's Body, and wreck everything.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Aw, crap. What does the 'its in the cards' challenge unlock, exactly? I just made it down to the trophy room, and then went in the devil door and stupidly died to the krampus. I'm debating starting over and I wanna know if it's worth it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ignite Memories posted:

Aw, crap. What does the 'its in the cards' challenge unlock, exactly? I just made it down to the trophy room, and then went in the devil door and stupidly died to the krampus. I'm debating starting over and I wanna know if it's worth it.

SMB Super Fan, which is an all stats up in Rebirth/doesn't have the speed down on it anymore. It's pretty awesome.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

This game is full on Cavia-grade trolling me today. In 6 Eve runs to Sheol I've seen exactly 1 regular, let's make a deal devil room, despite getting tons of angel rooms, krampus (always coal) and chests full of spiders. My current run has 8 heart containers as Eve and I keep accidentally grabbing hearts.

e: finally got one! On Womb 1, with nothing but the Dark Bum in it, way too late to save my rear end :negative:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 18, 2014

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

CJacobs posted:

Black and Pink Widow are both really annoying because they spawn live enemies instead of the enemy spawners but then again Widow is an annoying boss in general so I guess it's not all that different.

Black Widow and Green Bloat are both significantly more difficult than the regular versions. Champion War and Death are both a bit harder than the regular ones. The rest kind of range from easier to pretty much the same.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Widow stops being difficult at all once you realize that if you walk up to her side she will leap back and forth over top of you the entire time you murder her.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Magres posted:

Widow stops being difficult at all once you realize that if you walk up to her side she will leap back and forth over top of you the entire time you murder her.

I am definitely not brave enough to try that. Just being near enemies in the early game makes my butt do that involuntary clench thing.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Well I just unlocked The Lost, quite an affair, used a seed for the mulliboom death, then Maggy went easily enough, but on Judas I got curse of the unknown on depths 2, I was just about to restart the run but then I got a really clutch dagaz rune out of a fortune teller so I was able to remove the curse. Then on azazel I beat the heart... and went to cathedral because I wasn't paying attention :shepface:, went well on the restart though.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal

CJacobs posted:

I am definitely not brave enough to try that. Just being near enemies in the early game makes my butt do that involuntary clench thing.

Helps to do some practise in challenges where you need to be close to enemies, like Cat Got Your Tongue or Solar System.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I really like it when, once in a while, item combinations look good together.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Current Lost progress: After 50-ish deaths, I made it up to Mom (thanks to Dead Cat), then died on my last life. :saddowns:

If only they made it to where the lost could ONLY have one or two hearts maximum...

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Waffleopolis posted:

Current Lost progress: After 50-ish deaths, I made it up to Mom (thanks to Dead Cat), then died on my last life. :saddowns:

If only they made it to where the lost could ONLY have one or two hearts maximum...

Don't give up! I'm at 178 straight deaths and I only have the boss rush, blue baby, and lamb left until I have my godhead!

edit: Can anyone with real plat god take a screenshot of their in-game item list? I'm missing 10 including the Lost stuff and for the life of me I can't figure out what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
So is there no unlock for beating Mom's Heart with The Lost? Not talking about the Hard Mode baby here, I just mean any item in general.