Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
With all the time and effort (and maybe lawyer money) that dude could've just painted them himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I was genuinely mad at what he paid for that stuff.

And then more mad at what he paid to have it "painted".

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Colonial Air Force posted:

With all the time and effort (and maybe lawyer money) that dude could've just painted them himself.

IIRC, he was prepping two armies at the same time for some tourney or whatever, so he elected to have the Chaos Dwarfs painted by BTP while he worked on the other army (no idea what that army was tho), or some such thing like that.

Also I agree that his desired look for the army is pretty much rear end, but at the end of the day, dude paid for BTP to paint it, so he deserves to get at least within spitting distance of the look he wants (even if it is the personification of "GRIMDARK LOL").

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

IIRC, he was prepping two armies at the same time for some tourney or whatever, so he elected to have the Chaos Dwarfs painted by BTP while he worked on the other army (no idea what that army was tho), or some such thing like that.

Also I agree that his desired look for the army is pretty much rear end, but at the end of the day, dude paid for BTP to paint it, so he deserves to get at least within spitting distance of the look he wants (even if it is the personification of "GRIMDARK LOL").

Well, Chaos Dorfs are a little Grimdark, no?

Also, I found more boobs!

:nws:You don't take your chest plate when hunting penis aliens? Neither do I!:nws:

:nws:Is it me, or is it getting hot in here because we blew up the cooling tower?:nws:

BONUS SFW round: how does that sword remain upright?
http://thecombatcompany.com/kabuki-models/samael/

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Magnetic glove?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JcDent posted:

Well, Chaos Dorfs are a little Grimdark, no?

Also, I found more boobs!

BONUS SFW round: how does that sword remain upright?
http://thecombatcompany.com/kabuki-models/samael/

The sword is resting on his arm. Still a pretty bad pose/model.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

It looks like the sword will drag on the ground if that dude stands normally.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It looked to me like the guy is in the middle of a "dynamic pose" as he leaps backwards, and the sword really is falling from his hand as he fires his gun.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

It looked to me like the guy is in the middle of a "dynamic pose" as he leaps backwards, and the sword really is falling from his hand as he fires his gun.

Either that or he's posing for a "totally bitching pose, no, seriously, trust me, this is going to look totally awesome". We'll still have idiots in the future, right?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Randalor posted:

Either that or he's posing for a "totally bitching pose, no, seriously, trust me, this is going to look totally awesome". We'll still have idiots in the future, right?

I think it's more "You idiot, our space future knight HAS to have a sword! Put it in somewhere!"

EDIT:

Oh, and I remembered this beauty:

JcDent fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 16, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

I need more screaming sound effects from Dawn of War.

Also, I love making GBS threads on BTP, but lets get down to what this thread is all about :

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

:911:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXUDlcr0qI:911:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Thine chest is the purest!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I keep thinking there's got to be a way to redeem the Megamerican Marines concept by just painting them better. I imagine that I will try this at some point and weep for what I have done.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PantsOptional posted:

I keep thinking there's got to be a way to redeem the Megamerican Marines concept by just painting them better. I imagine that I will try this at some point and weep for what I have done.

I feel like once you start including obvious modern military or national themes into armies, they lose any chance they had of fitting into the setting and they tend to become really, really tacky. This goes for Megamerica Marines to Nazi Marines to Brazillian Marines. There are some cases where you can get away with stuff like that in armies with an obvious historical bent, like certain Imperial Guard regiments though. That being said, I'd love to see well painted Megamerica Marines just because it would be hilarious.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

HiveCommander posted:

Thine chest is the purest!

Not sure I'll be able to stop calling those things Purity Pasties now.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I think you might be able to do them subtly. Like, instead of a hot mess of color schemes and a busy as hell shoulder pad, make them, I don't know, white bodied, with blue shoulder pads, gold chest eagle, and red shoulder pad rims like they were in the 3rd Company. Stick a white star on as Chapter symbol. Salute.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

SRM posted:

I feel like once you start including obvious modern military or national themes into armies, they lose any chance they had of fitting into the setting and they tend to become really, really tacky. This goes for Megamerica Marines to Nazi Marines to Brazillian Marines. There are some cases where you can get away with stuff like that in armies with an obvious historical bent, like certain Imperial Guard regiments though. That being said, I'd love to see well painted Megamerica Marines just because it would be hilarious.

National themes can be fun and funny when you do the project as something fun/funny rather than a serious seriousness of seriosity for this totally serious game. Like that 70's/80's metal themed Slaneesh army that had KISS squads, Iron Maiden (including Eddie as a demon prince), etc. I think a squad or two or maybe a rhino can be played up for laughs, even a full army. I think armies painted after American Football teams or British Football (soccer, you ninnies!) teams could be funny.

Otherwise, each army gives an opportunity to incorporated elements from real life or other pop culture. Personally, I would love to do up an IG army based around the Desert Rats, or other historical armies (but then I remind myself that I play historicals and it's easier and more fun just to play those armies than to poorly hack kits together and argue with grognards about the proper green for Catachan tanks in July of 41.942).

But then you get idiots like that guy who (with great skill) paints tanks in Nazi regalia.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

PantsOptional posted:

I think you might be able to do them subtly. Like, instead of a hot mess of color schemes and a busy as hell shoulder pad, make them, I don't know, white bodied, with blue shoulder pads, gold chest eagle, and red shoulder pad rims like they were in the 3rd Company. Stick a white star on as Chapter symbol. Salute.

you gotta go hard one way or the other. Overblown Americana with stars and stripes, crying bald eagles and so on make for a great comedy army, like rainbow tyranids or whatever, or you go subtle and just use the basic coloursheme without overt references to reality.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

SRM posted:

I based my Imperial Guardsmen off of the IDF. I think it worked out okay, but I wasn't overly stupid with it. Mostly it was about TO&E, color schemes, and fun logos like this:

E: Ooh! A terribly painted Deathwatch marine I made that is totally relevant:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I'm still hanging onto hope that someone finds that Dryad army consisting of model railway trees with googly eyes.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So, it's impossible to make a Waffen SS guardsmen with Aquilas instead of swastikas and stuff? Even if you're not a Nazi? Am I a Nazi for even suggesting that?

YF19pilot posted:

but then I remind myself that I play historicals and it's easier and more fun just to play those armies than to poorly hack kits together and argue with grognards about the proper green for Catachan tanks in July of 41.942).

Wouldn't Desert Rats mean space shorts and LR Conquerors as stand ins for Cruiser Tanks?

I have a really hard time imagining a national theme for my country. Can't paint Marines in flag colors, that would be silly. And no outstanding look for Guardsmen, either: interwar army had German gear AFAIK, and now days it's standard sub-NATO stuff. Must get creative!

Imagine it would be even harder for Luxembourg.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I suspect that the Imperial Guard were originally envisioned as using modified historical figures from other companies, but then Games Workshop happened.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I secretly hope that the Cadians are based on the WWI/WWII era Canadian military.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Dark_Eldar/DARK-ELDAR-TANTALUS.html

No Nazi flag inspiration at all. Completely accidental :rolleyes:

I realize that scheme is often parodied as shorthand for "evil oppressive regime", but come on, we've got enough Nazi imitators in the hobby as it is, they don't need encouragement.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I've looked at that model a lot and I have honestly never thought 'nazi flag' before.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Pierzak posted:

I realize that scheme is often parodied as shorthand for "evil oppressive regime", but come on, we've got enough Nazi imitators in the hobby as it is, they don't need encouragement.

Have you gone mentally ill?

It's a red sail with a white oval and something that looks like made up Kanji. I think you have been confused by colours and shapes.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Red-White-Black has evil associations (German Empire, Third Reich) but they prob. weren't consciously thinking of Nazis in picking that design for the sail.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Pierzak posted:

I think you're trying to make something out of nothing. Then again...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Have you gone mentally ill?

It's a red sail with a white oval and something that looks like made up Kanji. I think you have been confused by colours and shapes.

They're definitely going for "so Asian, so mysterious", because "space junk" isn't exactly nazi.

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

Little Fuhrer That Could

Aw, he's a-dorable!

Though I don't like the Nazi zombies. Every time some no name company does Weird War II, it's always with the Nazi Zombies.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I secretly hope that the Cadians are based on the WWI/WWII era Canadian military.

The old metal guardsmen just look like pulp 90s sci-fi dudes, closer to this guy:

...than any Canook (though you can bet that badassery is totally Canadian).

Wish they had remade them with more modern tools, I love the helmets, glasses and quilted flak jackets.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I've thought about doing Space Marines in WWII US Army style, it would be super low effort. Everything Olive Green, with white stenciled stars and numbers.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Bucnasti posted:

I've thought about doing Space Marines in WWII US Army style, it would be super low effort. Everything Olive Green, with white stenciled stars and numbers.

I've always thought Raptors were supposed to be the US military Marines. Olive green (and/or camo colors), white eagle head insignia.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

JcDent posted:

So, it's impossible to make a Waffen SS guardsmen with Aquilas instead of swastikas and stuff? Even if you're not a Nazi? Am I a Nazi for even suggesting that?

There was a super legit Nazi guard army led by the Red Skull, complete with werewolves and basically every other Weird War 2 trope you can imagine. You can do it without being a nazi yourself, but it takes a level of self awareness that is normally pretty rare in this hobby.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
You don't have to be a card-carrying Nazi to make a Nazi-themed spacemans army no, but it does make you That Guy, the one passionately defending his Nazi-themed spacemans army against people going "seriously what the gently caress is wrong with you?"

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

JcDent posted:

Wouldn't Desert Rats mean space shorts and LR Conquerors as stand ins for Cruiser Tanks?

I have a really hard time imagining a national theme for my country. Can't paint Marines in flag colors, that would be silly. And no outstanding look for Guardsmen, either: interwar army had German gear AFAIK, and now days it's standard sub-NATO stuff. Must get creative!

Imagine it would be even harder for Luxembourg.

More or less, I suppose. It goes to show that I've been out of 40k for a while that I have forgotten the various variants of Leman Russ tanks (I use to know them all before GW started selling them as mainline products!)

Mainly I'd love to be able to try my hand at redesigning some of the tanks in a different aesthetic as an exercise in my modeling skills (or lack thereof), but I suppose that'd be missing the point of satire that is 40k. I mean, I don't want IG riding around in King Tigers, but scratch building a "counts-as" Leman Russ with deck turrets instead of side sponsons would be fun, I think.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

All green, and then stars on shoulder pads/chests (if you have flat ones). But Marine Raiders fit the MO better and have a better logo for flags and shoulder pads.

YF19pilot posted:

More or less, I suppose. It goes to show that I've been out of 40k for a while that I have forgotten the various variants of Leman Russ tanks (I use to know them all before GW started selling them as mainline products!)

Mainly I'd love to be able to try my hand at redesigning some of the tanks in a different aesthetic as an exercise in my modeling skills (or lack thereof), but I suppose that'd be missing the point of satire that is 40k. I mean, I don't want IG riding around in King Tigers, but scratch building a "counts-as" Leman Russ with deck turrets instead of side sponsons would be fun, I think.

Look at this beauty:

Sky's the limit!

One thing I learned for Warhammer Proxies FB group is that people will proxy the most unlikely horrible poo poo. Sure, there was one guy with awesome MK. V coversion for a Land Raider, but the others...
And abou deck turrets: if you manage to get your hands on a T-28, shorten it by 30% or more, and maybe replace the main turret with Russ turret, you're good to go. T-28 already looks retarded enough to be 40K.

Kai Tave posted:

"seriously what the gently caress is wrong with you?"

I still don't get it. If you have Imperial iconography on your Nazi space men and don't refer to auspex as Jewspex, what's wrong with having them?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

JcDent posted:

Look at this beauty:

Sky's the limit!

One thing I learned for Warhammer Proxies FB group is that people will proxy the most unlikely horrible poo poo. Sure, there was one guy with awesome MK. V coversion for a Land Raider, but the others...
And abou deck turrets: if you manage to get your hands on a T-28, shorten it by 30% or more, and maybe replace the main turret with Russ turret, you're good to go. T-28 already looks retarded enough to be 40K.

That is a pretty tank. 40K seems ripe for conversions and hacks, which when done well, look awesome. But then we are reminded these are gems in a sea of poo poo.

e: That group has a Mk. VI male as it's main picture. I love it already.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

moths posted:

I suspect that the Imperial Guard were originally envisioned as using modified historical figures from other companies.

I would do that. I would do that so hard.

Same with the WHFB Empire, really.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

YF19pilot posted:

That is a pretty tank. 40K seems ripe for conversions and hacks, which when done well, look awesome. But then we are reminded these are gems in a sea of poo poo.

e: That group has a Mk. VI male as it's main picture. I love it already.

Yeah, it's because it's one of the few good conversions posted there!

Speleothing posted:

I would do that. I would do that so hard.

Same with the WHFB Empire, really.

Kind of a no-brainer, especially considering ECW and 30YW miniature ranges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The IG are all pretty heavily influenced by historical figs since they're the "army guys" and they're sculpted by the Perry brothers, who have a great line of historicals and do reenactments and stuff. The Valhallans are super obviously WW2 Russians (mine are painted this way) while the Steel Legion look like German paratroopers from WW2. Tallarn are supposed to be like Desert Rats, Catachans like Rambo, the old Cadians like modern military, and Mordians look like Marine corps dress uniforms. The slightly modified Praetorian models were based off Age of Imperialism uniforms - they were made for a scenario called "Ork's Drift" for gently caress's sake! Vostroyans are like steampunk cossacks, and Death Korps are based on WW1 French and German forces. Elysians are also based on modern military guys, at least much moreso than Cadians are at this point.