Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I've got a 2003 Forester X with the 5 speed manual, and my cruise control has decided it doesn't want to work when it's cold outside.

Since the cruise control master switch works fine and the cruise control will engage once the cabin has warmed up a bit, I'm 99% sure the problem is the cruise control stalk on the steering column, since it feels like it's sticking and is somewhat difficult to move when the cabin is cold, so I assume the cold is somehow keeping some electrical contacts from closing a circuit to engage the cruise control. Once the cruise control does engage, it seems to stick on (the stalk seems to do nothing), but it will disengage if I tap the brakes. Once the cabin warms up some more, the cruise control seems to work normally, and responds to the stalk.

Apparently my Google-fu is weak, since I can't seem to find any references to that part online, so I'm not sure how to go about approaching this.

My initial idea was to get some rubbing alcohol or electrical contact cleaner and use a Q-tip to try and clean out whatever's accumulated around the inside of the stalk in the last decade, but I'm slightly nervous about getting an airbag in the face while doing so.

Anyone have any ideas about how to fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If it's anything like the Impreza you can take the bottom cover of the steering column off with two screws and see if you can get good access to the back of the switch from there. I don't think you have to worry about the airbag, but you can always unplug the battery's negative terminal if you want some insurance.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Update on noise, took car to mechanic for timing belt, described the noise, hes like "yeah it's shocks we get that a lot". The benefits of going to a mechanic that races subarus for fun, and built his own ej20 buggy.

You're in Brisbane right? I moved here at the start of the year and need a good mechanic. Is this guy worth dealing with over the long term?

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Oops.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ouch, flatspotting tires sucks :(

Any clues why your abs acted up? (You're the one who had this happen at the track due to an ABS malfunction, right?)

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Yeah. No idea yet. The people that I've talked to about it have a few opinions, including "yeah that happens sometimes," which I find pretty unsettling. I'm gonna check out the system/sensors/tone rings and also do some ducting in the front to try to keep the temps down.

This problem had never cropped up before on the track, although when it failed I was definitely beating on the car harder than I had in the past.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
The inside of my doors finally got sprayed with color over the weekend <3

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Ugh. Getting real loving sick of this rear end in a top hat car. I got the new engine in and everything, and now the AT OIL TEMP light is flashing. Did the secret handshake and it returned code 86 - "VDC communication signal". I checked all the wiring harnesses and connectors, couldn't find anything. Took it to a shop, they say there's a solenoid in the transmission that needs to be replaced, to the tune of $530. I have a hard time believing this, and also that's a lot of money.

Any ideas? Google is god damned useless searching for code 86.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Chiwie posted:

You're in Brisbane right? I moved here at the start of the year and need a good mechanic. Is this guy worth dealing with over the long term?

As far as I know, yes. Scorpion Subaru in Capalaba, its poo poo to get here though. CNJ motorsports in Slacks creek is also very good and has a bigger shop/their own dyno and are more convenient depending on where you live. I used to live near CNJ and I live near Scorpion now, I found them by joining Brisbane Subaru pages on facebook and they have a good reputation across all of them. If you are going to join the pages, Brisrex>>>>>>>Brisbane Subaru Club>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Suby Society, the last two have a fucktonne of drama, but there are a few knowledgeable people there.

E: You can probably figure out my facebook from the stuff I've posted in the last 2 days but w/e just don't post it if you care enough to figure it out please.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 18, 2014

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Alright so the used steelies I just picked up are a 15x7, +48 or maybe +55, and not 15x6 as I thought. A 195/65/15 tire should just work, and a 7" wide wheel in those offsets will fit on an '02 impreza wagon right? :ohdear:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Those will fit just fine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, you should be good to go.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

TrueChaos posted:

Alright so the used steelies I just picked up are a 15x7, +48 or maybe +55, and not 15x6 as I thought. A 195/65/15 tire should just work, and a 7" wide wheel in those offsets will fit on an '02 impreza wagon right? :ohdear:

Stock wrx wheels are 17*7+55, 17*8+48 fits well on my blobeye.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If it's anything like the Impreza you can take the bottom cover of the steering column off with two screws and see if you can get good access to the back of the switch from there. I don't think you have to worry about the airbag, but you can always unplug the battery's negative terminal if you want some insurance.

It turns out that the switch isn't really accessible without removing the steering wheel itself, so I just tried spraying rubbing alcohol into the switch and working it around a bit. The end result is that the cruise control works perfectly now, and the control stalk moves much better than it has in years.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Excellent, thanks. Now to wire wheel off the rust and spray paint them bright orange.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

When I start my 04 Impreza, sometimes I have to jiggle the key to get power to the clock/wipers/other poo poo that gets power on Key On. As far as I know, you have to drill that bitch out to replace it. Am I right?

Add it to the list, I guess. Can't really do anything on the car for another year, at least (unless I get a shop to do it).

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
So I've got a Yakima LoadWarrior, and a 13 WRX hatchback. Should I leave the LoadWarrior on over the winter? I plan on using it several times over the next few months, and it's Massachusetts, which means it'll be cold as balls (got a wind chill of 10 right now in Nov) when I have to put it on.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
2002 WRX valve cover gaskets, should I go with OEM parts or is DJ ROCK :lol: or Beck Arnley acceptable brands?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I stick with OEM for that type of stuff, also do spark plug seals. You could consider half moons on the back of the heads at the same time, but are probably more trouble than they're worth.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
90 dollars per side from subarugenuineparts? :wtf:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That doesn't seem right. I have the part numbers in a spreadsheet somewhere let me check.

e:
13270AA162 valve cover gasket R
13272AA094 valve cover gasket L
13293AA051 spark plug gasket (4x)
13271AA071 valve cover grommet (16x, for the bolts)

I get a total of $87 for everything but my prices might be slightly out of date.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 19, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ehh, i'm only leaking on one side and not likely to own this car long enough, Beck Arnley it is

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
Any goons in tristate area looking for snow tires?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&pagenumber=9&perpage=40#post437917000

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm currently trying to plot out what car I'm going to get in a couple of years and I need some advice.

My choices are currently the BRZ, WRX or STI.

The BRZ, as much as I love it, is only RWD, which would make for difficult winter driving (Philly).

If I'm not going to ever take it to a track, is there any good reason to get a WRX STI as a daily driver over a WRX? I'm imagining upkeep on the STI is more expensive than the standard WRX, with more expensive brakes and tires, but I don't know for certain.

Most of my time is city driving.

I currently drive a '08 LGT, so it would be a pretty seamless switch from the LGT to the WRX.

I'm also keeping a placeholder for the Tesla Model 3, but I have no idea what that's even going to look like nor anything but I'm interested in it anyway.

Any thoughts?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm currently trying to plot out what car I'm going to get in a couple of years and I need some advice.

The BRZ, as much as I love it, is only RWD, which would make for difficult winter driving (Philly).

If I'm not going to ever take it to a track, is there any good reason to get a WRX STI as a daily driver over a WRX? I'm imagining upkeep on the STI is more expensive than the standard WRX, with more expensive brakes and tires, but I don't know for certain.

I currently drive a '08 LGT, so it would be a pretty seamless switch from the LGT to the WRX.

I'm also keeping a placeholder for the Tesla Model 3, but I have no idea what that's even going to look like nor anything but I'm interested in it anyway.

Any thoughts?

The BRZ is underpowered, the new STI and WRX use old engines. Wait a couple years or grab a used WRX.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
I just switch from a '13 wrx to a '15 sti, so I cant comment on the '15 wrx but so far I have noticed a huge difference. Particularly in the corners. On turns I felt like I was pushing my wrx the sti feels like its not even trying. But honestly being as your in philly I would lean more towards the wrx. My '13 wrx was a wonderful daily driver and even better when there was snow. If you dont ever plan on track days or anything the wrx is a much better bet.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

VelociBacon posted:

The BRZ is underpowered, the new STI and WRX use old engines. Wait a couple years or grab a used WRX.

Only the STI has the old engine, the '15 WRX got the new engine.

And rwd isn't a bad thing for winter, with proper snow tires you'll be absolutely fine and with a drivers car like the brz you'll have no trouble inducing beautiful controlled slides.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

The BRZ, as much as I love it, is only RWD, which would make for super fun winter driving (Philly).

Get the BRZ and a set of cheap tire rack winter wheels/tyres for if and when it snows.

e: and see how far down Kelly Drive you can get in full drift mode.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Saga posted:

Get the BRZ and a set of cheap tire rack winter wheels/tyres for if and when it snows.

e: and see how far down Kelly Drive you can get in full drift mode.

This. Sorry but Philly isn't Buffalo, you won't have any issues getting around in the snow if you have a decent set of tires. The torsen will help and you can't go faster than all the other idiots on the road who are slipping and sliding anyway. For the record I did one of the heavier snow seasons ('09-10) in a miata without LSD and without snow tires and I only couldn't get anywhere when work/schools/etc were all closed. With a set of snows there's no reason you'd have trouble.

Edit: This was in philly, in case that wasn't obvious.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kelly Drive is hard enough to drive down in good summer dry conditions without getting run off the road, getting into a head-on collision, or driving into the river.

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

I recently sold my FRS and bought a '15 WRX after having an '15 STI on order for 6 months. The new WRX is AMAZING. You can never really make a BRZ fast, even when you add boost to it, half of the car breaks. People are already getting 300whp with just an e85 tune on the new WRX.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I haven't driven a '15, but I will say my '11 feels sloppy in comparison to my BRZ. The steering feel and turn in response on my BRZ is so so so so much better than my WRX.

I like them both for different reasons. They are very different cars to drive. I miss the acceleration rush when I drive the BRZ, but I miss the responsiveness when I drive the WRX. I have to admit though, I get used to the reduction in power far quicker than I get used to the numb steering when switching between cars.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

AFewBricksShy posted:

Any thoughts?

I have driven all three, own a 2015 STi. For you, get the BRZ. Is it underpowered? Eh maybe a bit. You dont sound like a hardcore car person you sound like someone who wants something that is enjoyable to drive and sporty. The BRZ is a car you can get in and having never driven it before feel like youre an awesome driver. Something to autocross and have fun and maybe develop being a car enthusiast.

If youre thinking about how much STI tires cost you prob dont really want an STI. There are two reasons to get a WRX over a BRZ. You need a sedan cause you got kids. You think you get more for your money with a WRX. As a drivers car the BRZ is better than the WRX. My only issue with it is that the first year BRZs are so cheap now I wouldnt want to buy a new one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For me the utility of a WRX hatch was just too much to pass up. The AWD and more power were icing in the cake. I had been eyeing the FRS/BRZ from when they were in development, but once I sat in one... Its not exactly roomy. I thought that's what I wanted, but just couldn't get over it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Too bad the hatch isn't a consideration anymore. Hopefully the spy shots are true and it'll come back in a year or two. I won't hesitate to trade my '11 in on a new gen model for the engine alone.

I really wish I could transplant my BRZ's steering into my WRX. The BRZ is just so IMMEDIATE, I feel like I'm relaying commands to my WRX over Morse code by comparison.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Blaise posted:

This. Sorry but Philly isn't Buffalo, you won't have any issues getting around in the snow if you have a decent set of tires. The torsen will help and you can't go faster than all the other idiots on the road who are slipping and sliding anyway. For the record I did one of the heavier snow seasons ('09-10) in a miata without LSD and without snow tires and I only couldn't get anywhere when work/schools/etc were all closed. With a set of snows there's no reason you'd have trouble.

Edit: This was in philly, in case that wasn't obvious.

And I had a 330i with some cheap-rear end Fox winter alloys. Just not a problem, especially if you're going from somewhere on the Main Line into Philly ("city driving"?) rather than the wilds of Pennsyltucky.

If I didn't need to deal with kids, dogs, bikes etc. I would have a BRZ. Especially if you aren't someone who really needs the AWD - and remember the AWD doesn't magically enable you to run summer tyres in a snowstorm without crashing. You would still want some winter tyres if you really have to drive in any sort of meaningful snow conditions.

FogHelmut posted:

Kelly Drive is hard enough to drive down in good summer dry conditions without getting run off the road, getting into a head-on collision, or driving into the river.

That was the idea!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Funny story.

The subaru got buggered up the rump by hail a few months ago, turns out i had coverage for hail on it that was part of the fire/theft. The insurance guy was just out, and wrote it off.

So i don't own a subaru anymore, And now i can go back to making fun of you assholes.

Quit driving like assholes/lesbians, you assholes/lesbians. :argh:

It was fun while it lasted though. I'll probably be back into one at some point. Let's remember the good times.

Hopefully i can find my accessport and pull the tune out of it before the tow truck gets here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What was the buyback? :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What was the buyback? :v:

If I was in the position to do ice races or something this winter I would be all up on it but unfortunately I'm not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Aw, that would have been fun to buy and slap a used motor in it. Not like I really have the time for that, though. :(