Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You guys are rad and all of the work in this thread is super inspiring. Keep up the good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Helicity posted:

Is that Kickstarter large format camera ever coming out? That thing sounded amazing for the price, but last I heard, it was mired in delays and poor communication.

There's this guy too, but I imagine it would be quite a while also.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

Man_of_Teflon posted:

There's this guy too, but I imagine it would be quite a while also.

Is it just me or does that look like a kid's megablock toy?

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Slide by rstop bstop, on Flickr

rohan fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 17, 2014

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

MrBlandAverage posted:

You know, I think we should have a definitive list of items required/recommended for LF, since we talk about it abstractly pretty often, but never very specifically as a whole... here's my first stab at it. Tell me what I'm forgetting or what recommended items should be different.

• Camera (Recommended: Chamonix 045N-2, $900, or Crown/Speed Graphic, $300)
  • Lens (Recommended: 135-180mm Plasmat-type lens, $100-200)
  • Shutter release (Recommended: generic eBay shutter release, $5)
  • Lensboard (Recommended: generic eBay lensboard to match your camera and lens, $25)
  • Lens spanner wrench (Recommended: generic eBay wrench, $20)
  • Film holders (Recommended: $20 for 2-5 modern plastic type double darkslide holders - Riteway, Lisco Regal, etc.)
  • Film changing tent ($150) or completely light-tight room ($free)
  • Darkcloth (Recommended: BTZS darkcloth, $75, or $free black t-shirt since you probably already have one)
  • Focusing loupe (Recommended: eBay 6x focusing loupe, $80, or $110 Wista 5x focusing loupe)
  • LF capable scanner (Recommended: Epson V700, $600, or used 4990, $200)
  • B&W film (Recommended: Ilford HP5+, $35)

I'm assuming here that you already have a way of metering, B&W development equipment/chems, and a worthwhile tripod.

That's a minimum of $750 or so, or $500 if you already have a LF-capable scanner, going up to $2000 or so if you want to splash out; in other words, actually pretty comparable to digital or smaller-format film.

A light meter. Also I'd personally recommend more than 2-5 holders (and the steel ones are better, albeit heavier) but yeah you guys do you.

Also for people trying to make the jump from 35mm to LF: it's really, really different. That's about all I can say. It's not just a totally different format, but a totally different mentality from a totally different time period.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

A light meter. Also I'd personally recommend more than 2-5 holders (and the steel ones are better, albeit heavier) but yeah you guys do you.

Also for people trying to make the jump from 35mm to LF: it's really, really different. That's about all I can say. It's not just a totally different format, but a totally different mentality from a totally different time period.

Yeah, anybody jumping from 35mm to LF is probably not already going to have a meter. But I think most people in here considering LF already have a meter to use with their MF system, and if not, they have a DSLR to meter with. The list there is intended as a bare minimum - there's plenty of nice-to-have stuff I'd put on there that is by no means required.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I know when I'm carting around an 8x10 with a couple of holders and a tripod, etc, I want to go have a lie-down after about 3 shots.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I've had the opposite experience - the new Riteway-style (with a button lock instead of a metal arm) are miles better than the steel holders. Steel ones don't work very well in temperature extremes and the darkslides become very difficult to maneuver.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

A spotmeter with incident dome is probably the ideal kind of lightmeter when shooting LF, since we have a big bag to carry it in anyway. When shooting MF I prefer to use small minimal meters but with LF it's a different story.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Large format: my debt is as big as my camera

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

Large format: my debt is as big as my camera

That should be the title of the thread hahaha

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Dawg's by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Just installed a lens hood and I really need to put some flocking on the inside of this fucker. This whole roll is full of gnarly flare.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
teal by PC-P, on Flickr

dat crop

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dakota I by alkanphel, on Flickr

Dakota II by alkanphel, on Flickr

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Realistically, how long does it take to setup and fire off a single exposure for a generic landscape with say a 130-150mm lens on a 4x5 camera? Maybe with and without tilts? I'm thinking of throwing some cash at that kickstarter that just completed a few days ago, but I worry I wouldn't be able to setup shots as quick as I need to.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 23, 2014

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Helicity posted:

Realistically, how long does it take to setup and fire off a single exposure for a generic landscape with say a 130-150mm lens on a 4x5 camera? Maybe with and without tilts? I'm thinking of throwing some cash at that kickstarter that just completed a few days ago, but I worry I wouldn't be able to setup shots as quick as I need to.

Well there are lots of factors like composing, metering and alignments but I'd say about 10 minutes (with a Chamonix) if you knew exactly what composition and exposure settings you needed? And if you're adding in tilts, maybe double that time...

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
With all the fudging around with composing/focusing and setting up the actual camera it usually takes me a good 5 -10 mins at least if I "rush" but with the cost of everything there's really no point in rushing you may as well put the effort in and make the shot count. Hence the name of the thread.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I've gotten pretty fast with the GW690 so I'll probably stay in MF land - there's no way I could swing a 5 minute shot, except in the rarest of situations. Thanks for the input.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
With 4x5 I prefer to take my time, which means about 4-5 minutes per shot, but when time (or timing) was critical I've gotten set up and taken a photo in about a minute when I knew exactly what the picture was going to be and what the settings would be.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Helicity posted:

I've gotten pretty fast with the GW690 so I'll probably stay in MF land - there's no way I could swing a 5 minute shot, except in the rarest of situations. Thanks for the input.

Speaking of the GW690

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

It seems to be the only camera that I shoot that results in a picture I'm happy with these days. I sometimes have crazy thoughts of selling all my other cameras and buying a bunch of gw690's as backups.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Spedman posted:

I sometimes have crazy thoughts of selling all my other cameras and buying a bunch of gw690's as backups.

same, and I'm desperate for a GSW now. Somebody in this thread a million years ago posted some really beautiful landscapes (Ireland, maybe?) with one.

Untitled

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Beginning to really like Reala again, especially in a colder climate.

Pillars of Eternity by Falamh . on 500px

World at rest by Falamh . on 500px

Watcher's Repose by Falamh . on 500px

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Speaking of GW's, is a Fuji GW690 II in supposedly EX condition worth US$300? I'm inclined to say yes...

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

bobmarleysghost posted:

Speaking of GW's, is a Fuji GW690 II in supposedly EX condition worth US$300? I'm inclined to say yes...

Is it really only that much? I've been looking a while although I'm more inclined to pick up something square format...

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Yes, it is. $400 seems to be a standard price for a great condition one. Just make sure they didn't lop off the lens hood.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I really want a GW690 myself. I was reading that the shutter needs to be serviced every 5000 shots, and there is a counter on the bottom of the camera that indicates how many actuations have been made. If yours is higher than that, the shutter speeds could be off by a significant amount.

I wonder how much it costs to get serviced and who to send it to.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

This is apparently the contact information for Fujifilm's professional equipment repair department in North America.

They don't specify what they'll still work on, so it would probably be best to call them and find out before sending anything in.

If KEH can work on it, their repair department appears to charge $130-$180 for flat-rate MF camera service.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

TheJeffers posted:

This is apparently the contact information for Fujifilm's professional equipment repair department in North America.

They don't specify what they'll still work on, so it would probably be best to call them and find out before sending anything in.

I read on some random forum that somebody contacted the NJ Fuji repair department and as of 2013, they no longer service the 690 :(

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Time to scour the internet for repair manuals :(

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

I really want a GW690 myself. I was reading that the shutter needs to be serviced every 5000 shots, and there is a counter on the bottom of the camera that indicates how many actuations have been made. If yours is higher than that, the shutter speeds could be off by a significant amount.

I wonder how much it costs to get serviced and who to send it to.

I've read that 10000 is the magic number somewhere, so in other words when the counter on the bottom clicks over to 000 again it's time to service.

I'm very much looking at getting a GW690iii just to get the latest version possible as a back up. I'll be giving my Bronica SQ-Ai setup its last chance to convince me to keep it this summer.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Spedman posted:

I've read that 10000 is the magic number somewhere

That's the one I've heard as well.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

The Clit Avoider posted:

Beginning to really like Reala again, especially in a colder climate.

Realachat goes pretty much the same as Ektarchat (see film thread, right now) -- looks fantastic in full sun and don't gently caress up the exposure even a little. In the right conditions I really like it too.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

voodoorootbeer posted:

Realachat goes pretty much the same as Ektarchat (see film thread, right now) -- looks fantastic in full sun and don't gently caress up the exposure even a little. In the right conditions I really like it too.

I used to love Reala...until I scanned it. Ten years ago when all my color film came back as prints it was my go to outdoor portrait film.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

8th-snype posted:

I used to love Reala...until I scanned it. Ten years ago when all my color film came back as prints it was my go to outdoor portrait film.

Oh yeah, I definitely have no experience there. I'll happily dev and scan my own B&W but I'll pay good money to leave that nonsense to somebody else.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Scanning film designed for that workflow (Kodak Portra 400) really isn't difficult.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Australian Antarctic Division Arts Fellowship is taking applications: https://www.antarctica.gov.au/art

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 26, 2014

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

TheJeffers posted:

If KEH can work on it, their repair department appears to charge $130-$180 for flat-rate MF camera service.

BANME.sh posted:

I read on some random forum that somebody contacted the NJ Fuji repair department and as of 2013, they no longer service the 690 :(

Fuji has some authorized service centers with the gw690 specified as a model they work on listed here: http://www.fujifilmusa.com/support/ServiceSupportProductContent.do?dbid=670678&prodcat=701538&sscucatid=664278

You may want to call first though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wasn't Ektar also specifically designed as a film to be scanned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Wasn't Ektar also specifically designed as a film to be scanned?

Yep. The thing with ektar isn't the scanning, but how it has crazy colour shifts unless perfectly exposed and how it doesn't handle low-light situations well. It's also supposed to have some insanely small grain, but I've never had the opportunity to scan it at high enough resolutions to figure out if its true.

• Locked thread