Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Pff, to have a median of 1.5 the number of single-language speakers has to be exactly equal to the multilingual population. Unlikely!

quote:

How many languages Europeans speak

Not only are Netherlands highly proficient in English, but the typical Dutch person knows a third language as well, Jakob Marian finds in this map. The term "median" requires a bit of explication here, since obviously there's no person in France speaking 1.5 languages. Marian uses the fraction to highlight countries where there's a close split. "X½ for a country means that between 45% and 55% (i.e. "about one half") of its inhabitants speak X+1 languages," Marian says. "For example, 1½ for France indicates that about one half of the French speak two languages, and the rest speak just a single language."

From the article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What's going on in Portugal? I assume the number for the Netherlands is so high because the Dutch language is more or less German, but with a throat infection inspired pronunciation. Shouldn't Portuguese people be able to understand Spanish?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

waitwhatno posted:

What's going on in Portugal?

They are stupid!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Kennel posted:

They are stupid!

It all makes sense now.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

waitwhatno posted:

What's going on in Portugal? I assume the number for the Netherlands is so high because the Dutch language is more or less German, but with a throat infection inspired pronunciation. Shouldn't Portuguese people be able to understand Spanish?

That's exactly why we don't learn it!

That said, the data seems very weird, since there has been a conscious effort to improve our speaking, and basically everyone under 30 is decently fluent in english - the fact we don't dub our tv shows alone should account for a marked difference to the spaniards!

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Rumda posted:

I think its more the lasting effect of the Russian Empire than solely the shadow of the German

Except that the German part didn't have very many Poles when it was part of Germany. The ancestors of most of the people living there now would have been from the Russian empire as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_population_transfers_%281944%E2%80%9346%29

Poles were kicked out of the pink part and resettled in the yellow part, and the Germans who lived in the yellow part were sent back to Germany.

3peat
May 6, 2010

karl fungus posted:

3peat, you're like the only Romanian goon I've seen around. Is there anything interesting about Braila, politically-loaded or not? That's where my Romanian half comes from.

It's one of those small irrelevant romanian towns that I've never been to..
Well, it's really close to Galati and their maritime university/shipyards, and Braila also has it's own very modern shipyard (owned by STX), so many people from there work as shipyard engineers/ship designers/workers, or as naval officers (I work in the shipping industry and have colleagues from there)
Other than that, idk

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Reveilled posted:

From the article.

That's not a drat median

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Tree Goat posted:

That's not a drat median

Yeah, thats closer to mean rounded to the nearest half.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Spazzle posted:

Yeah, thats closer to mean rounded to the nearest half.

It's "median unless the median would be sufficiently/arbitrarily close to the next integer, in which case add a .5 to indicate this"

A rounded mean would make more sense.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's not a map as such, but I still thought it was funny.

"9 year old girl shows with a single answer how outdated our school system is"

Let me translate that for you.

quote:

Holiday destination
See table of contents.
You want to choose a holiday destination with only a small chance of rain. What map is best suited to find one?
- Map 36-37, Europe, nature Note: I think. Out of context that word means 'physics'
- Map 40, Europe, climate
- Map 43, Europe, tourism

The girl's new answer is a badly spelled 'buienradar', a very popular Dutch site showing zoomable cloud/rain/lightning maps, including rain cloud movement predictions.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
She prefers this adfilled monstrosity:

over maps like this:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

IndustrialApe posted:

over maps like this:

That 9 year old girl will never be accepted as a goon.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

I am pretty sure that she will not be accepted anywhere on the internet if the responses to women on the web are any indication.

Joking aside: In the past few years, the dutch discussion about education has been focused on making education more up-to-date. So far it means that people buy expensive doodads and heavily advertised commercial apps to attract parents to their schools. So yeah, I get kinda testy when kid answers the question with a commercial website filled with ads and the response is "look how out of date education is".

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

waitwhatno posted:

When Portuguese say they can speak Spanish they mean they fill every other word with L's/N's and call it Spanish. When Portuguese say they can understand Spanish, they usually mean TV Spanish, where it's usually spoken slowly and more deliberatley. You really need a trained ear and some actual basic knowledge of how the language works to get anywhere, and most folk simply don't, yet everyone thinks if you know one you know the other, including Portuguese/Spanish speakers.

Also Russian and similar slavic languages sound a lot more like Portuguese than Spanish does, even though it's world aparts. Romenian too I heard.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Electronico6 posted:

Also Russian and similar slavic languages sound a lot more like Portuguese than Spanish does, even though it's world aparts. Romenian too I heard.

Going to be useful when Putin rolls out the Eurasian Union, from Lisbon to Vladivostok :ussr:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

IndustrialApe posted:

over maps like this:

Who the hell visits that site without adblock?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Kurtofan posted:

Going to be useful when Putin rolls out the Eurasian Union, from Lisbon to Vladivostok :ussr:

Get used to the Shanghai Economic Organisation first.

Moscow to Peking, with application requests from Delhi and Islamabad.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Carbon dioxide posted:

Who the hell visits that site without adblock?

Plenty of people in my experience, doesn't matter how old, what education level or even if they're computer literate.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

IndustrialApe posted:

Plenty of people in my experience, doesn't matter how old, what education level or even if they're computer literate.

Yea people don't get that AdBlock is a thing. My fiancee isn't the most tech savvy but she knows her way around a computer (enough to not use IE/Safari), and she didn't have AdBlock installed. When I used her computer it was like navigating a post apocalyptic hell scape except instead of rape gangs it was endless pop ups.

Some people just think that's how thr internet is.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

wdarkk posted:

Just a warning that guy's got some :nws::furcry: stuff mixed in there.

AUTISM
http://www.globalautismcollaboration.com has many links plus a large (and excellent) section of essays and advice by autistic author Temple Grandin.
Guide to Improving Gastrointestinal Symptoms among Children with Autism Spectrum: https://www.delimmune.com/research/improvements-in-gastrointestinal-symptoms-among-children-with-autism/
Help with Behavioral Issues & Learning Life Skills: https://www.autism-help.org/behavioral-issues-autism-asperger.htm
Health Issues Specific to Autism: https://www.autismhelp.info/health/health-issues-specific-to-autism/categories,id,466,1-1.aspx
A Guide to Keeping Your Children with Autism Safe: safesoundfamily.com/p/autism-safety/

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Rambling Robot posted:

AUTISM
http://www.globalautismcollaboration.com has many links plus a large (and excellent) section of essays and advice by autistic author Temple Grandin.
Guide to Improving Gastrointestinal Symptoms among Children with Autism Spectrum: https://www.delimmune.com/research/improvements-in-gastrointestinal-symptoms-among-children-with-autism/
Help with Behavioral Issues & Learning Life Skills: https://www.autism-help.org/behavioral-issues-autism-asperger.htm
Health Issues Specific to Autism: https://www.autismhelp.info/health/health-issues-specific-to-autism/categories,id,466,1-1.aspx
A Guide to Keeping Your Children with Autism Safe: safesoundfamily.com/p/autism-safety/

This should be stickied on every forum, as should the suicide hotline.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

That 9 year old girl will never be accepted as a goon.

No AdBlock? Lmao I bet she uses Internet Explorer 6 too, get out n00b

I use an app for the local weather, making me simultaneously modern and an old person (for caring about the weather)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I use an app for the local weather, making me simultaneously modern and an old person (for caring about the weather)

I use a special antenna to pick up NOAA satellite downlinks directly :c00lbert:

I'm a terrible nerd aren't I

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phlegmish posted:

IE6 would be older than a 9 year old.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Wait... aren't those temperatures too low?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Its only once in a year temperatures need to get that low. Hardly the norm though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Count Roland posted:

Its only once in a year temperatures need to get that low. Hardly the norm though.
Yeah, it's basically the lower limit of temperatures you could reasonably expect to see at some point during the year. The actual likely temperature is probably a whole step above, at least here in Denmark.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I like how you can basically see the North Atlantic stream in that map.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Because of the gulf stream, its oblong shape and northerly latitude (and a bunch of other reasons I'm to dumb to know anything about) Sweden sometimes experiences meteorological summer and winter at the same time.

This I learned a few months ago. I am guessing the same is true for Norway.

e: That is to say that summer, autumn and winter sometimes occur simultaneously – albeit in different parts of the country. Summer in the south, autumn in the middle and winter in the far north.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 18, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Because of the gulf stream, its oblong shape and northerly latitude (and a bunch of other reasons I'm to dumb to know anything about) Sweden sometimes experiences meteorological summer and winter at the same time.

This I learned a few months ago. I am guessing the same is true for Norway.
Norway is one of the few countries where the Gulf Stream has a significant impact on temperature. For the remaining western parts of Europe it's the oceans' capacity for storing heat and the direction of the prevailing winds, as well as the Rocky Mountains disturbing the flow of air in the atmosphere which give us such mild winters. It's the same effect (the Rockies notwithstanding) which makes Vancouver's average low in January around 25C higher than Khabarovsk in Russia, despite being at the same latitude.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Les Liancourts sont français.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Meanwhile, real-life Serbia actually gave up its coastline.

Where was Tupac's rap magic??

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Here's an ethnic map of the Balkans in the 1870s by a French geographer. Take note that it apparantly over-represents Greeks, as estimated by modern historians

Here's an ethnic map of the Balkans in the 1870s made by the Greek government. See if you can spot the differences between this one and the other one

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Srbija do Tokija! Srbija do Tokija!

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Huh, I'm surprised the Greek government didn't color in the whole coast of Anatolia in the second map. Then again, it also didn't color in turks in the region, so I guess it just doesn't cover the region at all? You'd think that considering nationalism and everything they'd take every chance they could get to show the entirety of their "true" borders.

I also love how the second map adds Romanian because of their tiny sliver in the North, but Croatian and Bosnian? They can go gently caress themselves.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

VerdantSquire posted:

I also love how the second map adds Romanian because of their tiny sliver in the North, but Croatian and Bosnian? They can go gently caress themselves.

Hey, pay attention!

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Norway is one of the few countries where the Gulf Stream has a significant impact on temperature. For the remaining western parts of Europe it's the oceans' capacity for storing heat and the direction of the prevailing winds, as well as the Rocky Mountains disturbing the flow of air in the atmosphere which give us such mild winters. It's the same effect (the Rockies notwithstanding) which makes Vancouver's average low in January around 25C higher than Khabarovsk in Russia, despite being at the same latitude.

Yes, I was in Norway late August and flew out to Tromsø (for reasons), and on our last day there we enjoyed a comfortable 22° in the Sun, chilling by the water, despite being well north of the Arctic Circle.

If you don't mind some hardship while camping and living on a budget (Norway is hella expensive), it's a lovely vacation destination, by the way. I can only recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

the jizz taxi posted:

Yes, I was in Norway late August and flew out to Tromsø (for reasons), and on our last day there we enjoyed a comfortable 22° in the Sun, chilling by the water, despite being well north of the Arctic Circle.

If you don't mind some hardship while camping and living on a budget (Norway is hella expensive), it's a lovely vacation destination, by the way. I can only recommend it.

Coincidentally, Tromso is the bing.com homepage picture/topic of the day today. Weird. Picture is beautiful though.