Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Declaring state of emergency? Really? Any other black people in this thread feel like this is a declaration of war on blacks? I already knew this would happen months ago. It was obvious the guy is going to get off, but I never expected this. But I'm not sure what we as black people can do besides just sit here and take it. In August when this started bubbling up, I felt completely helpless. I wanted to be there in Ferguson and throw in my support but I had to settle for protesting here. I'm not even sure it did anything besides getting the anger off my chest. Unfortunately, that anger has turned into stifling apathy. But the least someone can do while being black in America at this point - man or woman - is to learn how to shoot a gun. More and more of these situations are happening, and if there's one proven way to protect our children, this would be it. It sucks that's the final recourse because I'm pretty anti-violence.

Thankfully there's a quote on that:

"Concerning nonviolence: It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." - Malcolm X

"I don't mean go out and get violent; but at the same time you should never be nonviolent unless you run into some nonviolence. I'm nonviolent with those who are nonviolent with me. But when you drop that violence on me, then you've made me go insane, and I'm not responsible for what I do." - Malcolm X

You read it boys and girls. If you are black and American, after that non guilty verdict, buy a gun. This will only get worse and worse. Defend yourself. It's your right. The amount of us purchasing weapons may scare white people, but gently caress em. At this point, fear is the only weapon people have left.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Nixon declared a State of Emergency in August too, and honestly the National Guard seemed way more restrained than the local PD. A huge part of that is that the National Guard kept to their rather narrow purview (protect the police station) but still. National Guard wasn't firing tear gas at reporters or enforcing a 5 second unconstitutional loitering "law."

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I don't give a gently caress what Nixon did.

State of loving emergency? For a grand jury verdict? Actually, BEFORE the verdict is even released? They've sent their message loud and clear: being angry that you killed this 18 year old is petty. They worried about rioting? Property has more value than your lives or rights then? At Ferguson, rioting really didn't spread the way the way the media painted it. More than that, what's wrong with rioting over someone's life? Rioting because a kid got shot six times from a police officer? loving savages. White people rioting over college football and pumpkin festivals? Haha, those silly kids!

The message is crystal.

Time to wake up.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

RAHOWA BEGINS

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

Temperature won't keep protesters off the street anyway considering actions were going on today even without an indictment. The rest of the week has warmer weather anyway.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...b9c61cfe99.html

60 whole minutes of protesting? Its ok It was pretty cold.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

quote:

I don't give a gently caress what Nixon did.

State of loving emergency? For a grand jury verdict? Actually, BEFORE the verdict is even released?

And I'm saying when Gov Nixon declared the State of Emergency during the initial Ferguson protests, an act that was necessary for him to be able to deploy the National Guard, it turned out those weekend warrior fucks were actually far less aggressive and antagonistic than Ferguson PD or even St Louis PD. Had the State of Emergency been declared a day or two earlier, and kept on longer, I honestly think things would have been calmer during those first few days in Ferguson. The National Guard certainly wouldn't have raided churches or hosed around with a no fly zone to keep out media.

There is little reason to believe Ferguson PD and St Louis Co PD aren't going to incite violence again by
  • boxing in protesters
  • firing tear gas in residential yards
  • spraying rubber bullets into crowds
  • issuing contradictory orders and then arresting protesters
  • arresting people while citing completely made up laws

There is also very little chance that Wilson will be indicted, given McCullough's ties to the police, leaks from the Grand Jury, and a well documented, pathological unwillingness to cross the thin blue line.

Given that, it is very likely the National Guard will need to be called in again, to relieve rear end in a top hat PD -- not to ramp up crack downs on protesters. Declaring a State of Emergency is the first step toward that.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Why would cold weather decrease likelihood of violent protests? The worst riots I've ever seen were in Copenhagen 2005 and 2006, and we had some pretty bad weather then. That might just be our communist viking blood, natch, but I can't really imagine an angry enough crowd saying "welp, this is a nip too cold, gently caress it".

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Tias posted:

Why would cold weather decrease likelihood of violent protests? The worst riots I've ever seen were in Copenhagen 2005 and 2006, and we had some pretty bad weather then. That might just be our communist viking blood, natch, but I can't really imagine an angry enough crowd saying "welp, this is a nip too cold, gently caress it".

I live about 300mi west of Ferguson, and if the weather there has been anything like it has here, it just very, very suddenly went from autumn to winter, temperature-wise. That's the only thing I can think of- that the US Heartland just went from several months of 60-100°F weather to a week or two of temperatures hovering at or just above freezing during the day, and 5-15°F at night.

I mean I'm with you for the most part, but that's the only explanation I can think of- there are some pretty huge seasonal temperature variances in the plains, and the winterhammer just came down unusually suddenly this month.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Tias posted:

It was one offhand comment about the weather which a bunch of people jumped on as proof that protesters don't care enough or something. This thread is weird.

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW

Himuro posted:

"I don't mean go out and get violent; but at the same time you should never be nonviolent unless you run into some nonviolence. I'm nonviolent with those who are nonviolent with me. But when you drop that violence on me, then you've made me go insane, and I'm not responsible for what I do." - Malcolm X

You read it boys and girls. If you are black and American, after that non guilty verdict, buy a gun. This will only get worse and worse. Defend yourself. It's your right. The amount of us purchasing weapons may scare white people, but gently caress em. At this point, fear is the only weapon people have left.

Interesting.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Guy Fleegman posted:

Interesting.

oddly enough, mlk met a very similar fate while preaching nonviolence

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
Darren Wilson is basically the Martin Luther King Jr. of white people.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
When I was in middle school great pains were taken to paint Lincoln as the one person who did the most for black rights, and that MLK is either a guy who gave a nice speech or every city's "most dangerous" boulevard.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Jealous Cow posted:

When I was in middle school great pains were taken to paint Lincoln as the one person who did the most for black rights, and that MLK is either a guy who gave a nice speech or every city's "most dangerous" boulevard.

Nelson Mandela will always be the king of the negros.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

I hang out on white supremacist forums

We know.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
The white supremacists have yet to realize the US elected a black guy as president, it will be a good 40+ years before they realize if Darren Wilson gets indicted.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
What's taking so long? I thought this was supposed to come out Monday?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Condiv posted:

oddly enough, mlk met a very similar fate while preaching nonviolence

MLK also realized that integration was a sham near the end of his life.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 18, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Himuro posted:

Any other black people in this thread feel like this is a declaration of war on blacks?

*raises hand*

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Are you going to protest?

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

I don't see it that way. Hell, the national guard is probably the force that will keep the local police from getting out of control. This is a good thing.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

L-Boned posted:

I don't see it that way. Hell, the national guard is probably the force that will keep the local police from getting out of control. This is a good thing.

The National Guard sure did help things last time when they first came to Ferguson. The cops totally stopped being asswipes then.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Himuro posted:

The National Guard sure did help things last time when they first came to Ferguson. The cops totally stopped being asswipes then.

That's because they limited their role and they weren't there that long. The days they were there were the most peaceful.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Himuro posted:

The Guard will doubtlessly fill the role which they are best trained for.

quote:

Local leaders and Guard officials have assured the public that soldiers would only fill this type of limited role.

“We’ll continue to ensure a neat and orderly appearance of the command center and nearby areas,” said Guard Capt. William Strothers. “We also have enough paint, rakes, and sand to have a really nice rock garden complete by the time we leave here.”

Other Guard duties will include setting up a coffee mess in the command tent and a car wash in order to raise money for the battalion ball held later this year.

quote:

The protests in the area had substantially quieted down in recent days, but the move may reignite tensions as activists and military members that look like total toolbags with reflective belts wrapped around their chests come face-to-face.

Since the protests began, police officers have been seen wearing Marine Corps camouflage pants, driving in armored trucks, and using riot shields and tear gas, but sources confirmed the National Guard soldiers were seen in just their uniforms without weapons, only looking straight down at the ground in a police-call phalanx formation.

Most citizens who witnessed the soldiers walking back in just stared in disbelief.

“We aren’t really sure whether we should break out the Molotovs or help them,” one protester said.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Stultus Maximus posted:

The Guard will doubtlessly fill the role which they are best trained for.

Agreed. Like I said, this is war. Buy a gun.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 18, 2014

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Himuro posted:

Agreed. Like I said, this is war. Buy a gun.

You are mentally ill.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Himuro posted:

Are you going to protest?

Well if two sides are in a war against each other it's not going to help if one side just protests. Anyway it's pretty cold and it's not like I have to spend every waking moment thinking about this stuff you know?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Equine Don posted:

You are mentally ill.

Hardly. If you think this doesn't have the possibility of spilling over, think again. If you have watched this entire scenario and think it's just an isolated incident, you're a fool, and I can tell from your post that you're obviously not black. The amount of innocent black people who have died at the hands of police this year alone? Any rational person would see that an act of war, and if not that, an attempt to silence and threaten, and find that worth fighting.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Well if two sides are in a war against each other it's not going to help if one side just protests. Anyway it's pretty cold and it's not like I have to spend every waking moment thinking about this stuff you know?

Definitely.

Protesting has its uses. It also shows how weak and contradictory of a country America is depending on their response.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 18, 2014

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Himuro posted:

Hardly. If you think this doesn't have the possibility of spilling over, think again. If you have watched this entire scenario and think it's just an isolated incident, you're a fool, and I can tell from your post that you're obviously not black. The amount of innocent black people who have died at the hands of police this year alone? Any rational person would see that an act of war, and if not that, an attempt to silence and threaten, and find that worth fighting.

I'm not very enthused about the prospect of my friends being shot by the police because some retard decided a suburb of St. Louis=Baghdad. But you're not going to do poo poo bro.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Equine Don posted:

I'm not very enthused about the prospect of my friends being shot by the police because some retard decided a suburb of St. Louis=Baghdad. But you're not going to do poo poo bro.

When did I make the equivalent that Ferguson was Baghdad? When did I say to shoot indiscriminately? Did I ever say to shoot at cops just because they're cops? No. Can you read?

Am I going to do poo poo? Nothing but protest.

I have never made a case for violent excursion in any single of my posts.

Learn to read and decipher intent.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 18, 2014

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
You must be some kind of gorilla warfare expert with probably like 300 confirmed kills.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Himuro posted:

When did I make the equivalent that Ferguson was Baghdad? When did I say to shoot indiscriminately? Did I ever say to shoot at cops just because they're cops? No. Can you read?

Am I going to do poo poo? Nothing but protest.

I have never made a case for violent excursion in any single of my posts.

Learn to read and decipher intent.

I think you need to lighten your load of Malcolm X biographies. Resorting to violence is only going to support the Ferguson PD narrative.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Hey hey hey, calm down. Everyone on the Internet except like three or four people are white, anyways.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

L-Boned posted:

Resorting to violence is only going to support the Ferguson PD narrative.

The Ferguson PD isn't running a loving thing but their mouths.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Interesting how many fresh new trolls have descended into the thread in the last day

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Nah, that's just the rot setting into the woodwork. Happens when things get abandoned.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

Apthous posted:

The Ferguson PD isn't running a loving thing but their mouths.

When they kill without retort, with the slightest provocation being a death warrant for those involved, to preach patience comes out hollow.

I'm agreeing with the quote. Dialogue and prop are easy, action is hard, and apparently, no action at all is cool with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7fgB0m_y2I

Mississippi and Missouri are rather close, so just imagine.

E: "Or they smile and shrug their shoulders at the murder of a man."

cucka fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 18, 2014

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

An Angry Bug posted:

Nah, that's just the rot setting into the woodwork. Happens when things get abandoned.

I think it's more the fact that the state of emergency was called and the grand jury results are coming. There's a whole lot of race warriors who are about to get their smug on.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Cole posted:

Surrrrrrrrrrre.

you, generally speaking, we're talking about me getting called out on bad jokes when that really never happens.

You know, since you were speaking generally.

About something specific.

And sounding like an idiot.

Just generally speaking though.

Why are you so pissed off all the time? Get your slippers, drink a camomile tea. Take a break. Don't let us meanie PC police get to you.

E: just occurred to me that contrary to the actual police in the US, the PC police hasn't actually killed anyone. But ruffling a white racist's feathers and froodling their mushytush is probably just as bad to them! Heyoo

murphyslaw fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

What's taking so long? I thought this was supposed to come out Monday?

There's no hard deadline. The prosecutor can estimate based on how much evidence is left, but the grand jurors control how long the presentation / deliberations take. They'll announce it when they're done, I'd imagine.

• Locked thread