Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Jedit posted:

Don't worry, Wee Eck has no plans to shut up just yet. He's already talked about how he's donating his First Minister's pension to charity - which would be laudable, if hadn't told everyone himself - and will be moving on to heading the Westminster delegation of the SNP in the hopes of becoming Deputy Prime Minister.

jesus christ what is your problem??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
His problem is he doesn't like the SNP or its politicians.

What is your problem with him?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
His posts.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Is Salmond supposed to be a Kantian Übermensch, steadfast conforming to the categorical imperative to do good only for the sake of doing good? And has he thus failed the categorical imperative by announcing his act of good? Jedit seems to think so.

Also,

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 18, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

His problem is he doesn't like the SNP or its politicians.

In this particular instance, it's apolitical. Admittedly I think it's an utterly cynical move for someone in Salmond's position to do, but I would hold exactly the same opinion of anyone who trumpeted his own good deeds to the world like that. People who do that don't care half so much about doing good as they do about being seen to do good.

Likewise, if Salmond had kept it to himself I would have given him credit for doing something decent had it leaked out - more if he'd retired completely from politics, of course, but still.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Jedit posted:

Likewise, if Salmond had kept it to himself I would have given him credit for doing something decent had it leaked out - more if he'd retired completely from politics, of course, but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Myleene Klass and the mansion tax – As Ed Miliband sought to defend the so-called mansion tax as a principled way of raising extra funding for the NHS, Myleene Klass said the levy would hit "little grannies" living in modest homes in London"

Independent:

Cameron ‘getting excuses in early’ over global economy and cuts, says Miliband

Times:

EU migrants would wait two years for jobless benefits, Labour says

Express:

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

:wtc:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's an old joke. It's been around in comedy since at least the 30s, so it's about the idea age for an Express comic.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

KazigluBey posted:

Is Salmond supposed to be a Kantian Übermensch, steadfast conforming to the categorical imperative to do good only for the sake of doing good? And has he thus failed the categorical imperative by announcing his act of good? Jedit seems to think so.

The principle's much more fundmental than that. It's a literal direct textbook example of what was warned against in the Sermon On The Mount:

"“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Matthew 6:1-5

Basically, Salmond is communicating that political grandstanding is his highest priority, not bettering the people - it calls the rest of his judgement into question, suggesting that his voters are not humans more than they are props to reflect his own magnificence.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 20, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm not a fan of Salmond but criticising him for acting politically is the dumbest poo poo.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Alex Salmond is one of those rare politicians that can come across as human for extended lengths of time so he's beloved by his supporters and loathed by his detractors for exactly the same reasons.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I honestly can't tell if you're trying to troll or not.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's EU reform plans – Ken Clarke says free movement of people fundamental to union and championed by Margaret Thatcher" Also World Toilet Day.

Yesterday's Telegraph:

Telegraph:

Rochester and Strood by-election: Campaign in final stages; Paddington Bear

Independent:

Times:

Express:

Deadly snowstorm hits northern US

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

I honestly can't tell if you're trying to troll or not.

He's a member of the Toy Army.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Gonzo McFee posted:

He's a member of the Toy Army.

That being?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

That being?

The TA. Toy Army.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Hate to agree with That Last Guy but it is indeed Really loving Cold over here. Every single state had below freezing temperatures at at least one point recently, including the subtropical one. At least twenty degrees below the expected point for this point in the year. It's been miserable.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...
Besides, don't all you Comrades hate charity maybe even more than you hate Trots? Shouldn't you be excoriating Salmond for his neoliberal-legitimising endorsement of alternate social support through non-state systems, or something? Or does he get a free pass?

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 20, 2014

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Strawman harder, please.

Gonzo McFee posted:

The TA. Toy Army.

I have no idea what that is.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

KazigluBey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAaFUoiOM-Y

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Toy Army = the Territorial Army.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

kapparomeo posted:

Besides, don't all you Comrades hate charity maybe even more than you hate Trots? Shouldn't you be excoriating Salmond for his neoliberal-legitimising endorsement of alternate social support through non-state systems, or something? Or does he get a free pass?

Yes and furthermore

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Cool thanks, basically pretend soldiers, yeah? This explains a lot about kappa, cheers for the tip.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

Gonzo's joke is out of date because the Territorial Army has been rebranded as the Army Reserve. He could update it to... um... Association of Recreation, maybe? Activity Rangers? Just trying to be helpful.

I left what was still then the TA in 2008 and during the time that I was a member I didn't once go abroad or see any operational service, and the amount of times I fired live rounds with my rifle I can count on the fingers of Mickey Mouse's hand. I did get to visit Faslane and have a walk around a nuclear submarine once though, and that was kind of cool.

The TA hasn't been part of my life for nearly seven years now and it was really just a way to have a part-time job that was a bit more physically active than pulling pints in a bar and outdoorsy than stacking shelves at Tesco. As far as I'm concerned it's ancient history and not anything that I'd rely on for more than a couple of drinking stories. Even so, though, Gonzo seems to have gotten it into his head that I spend my days walting around pretending to be the Second Man On The Balcony and whenever he's struggling to think of a comeback he likes to make bizarre non-sequitirs about it as if it's even remotely relevant (where else in this thread have I even mentioned the TA, in any context?). As name-calling goes it's kind of adorable, really. I just want to pinch his chubby little cheeks whenever he brings it up.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 20, 2014

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

kapparomeo posted:

The TA hasn't been part of my life for nearly seven years now and it was really just a way to have a part-time job that was a bit more physically active than pulling pints in a bar and outdoorsy than stacking shelves at Tesco. As far as I'm concerned it's ancient history

For someone who says this you sure do post a lot about the TA, including just sending a long PM to me that included a bunch of dead soldier's names all meticulously linked to website articles mentioning their deaths. Jokes about Gonzo's accuracy aside, Jesus gently caress dude...

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Kappa is Paul Thomas and I claim my £5.

Also, 'weekend warriors' never goes out of fashion.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

For someone who says this you sure do post a lot about the TA,

News to me. I've just had a quick flick through my post history and before this evening I think I've mentioned the TA once in over three years?

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 20, 2014

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kapparomeo posted:

Basically, Salmond is communicating that political grandstanding is his highest priority, not bettering the people - it calls the rest of his judgement into question, suggesting that his voters are not humans more than they are props to reflect his own magnificence.

Ah, you've noticed that Alex Salmond is a politician. Jolly good.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Not what I meant, but keep being willfully dense if it makes you feel better, kappa.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What the poo poo are you people even arguing about any more?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Cloud Potato posted:

Yesterday's Telegraph:

I thought for a second he might also be making a point here about how by appealing to UKIP voters he's blocking off voters that would come to him from the usual path, but I'm not sure I trust Adams to do anything that clever.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

goatface posted:

What the poo poo are you people even arguing about any more?

Alex Salmond's incapability to live up to either the Kantian moral imperative or biblical standards, apparently. Also kappa's excellent knowledge about the TA, I guess. :v:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

KazigluBey posted:

Alex Salmond's incapability to live up to either the Kantian moral imperative or biblical standards, apparently. Also kappa's wall-of-text posts about the TA.

wall of text = three short paragraphs in response to someone else bringing it up a propos of nothing?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Let's just all agree that politicians strongly adhere to Cuntian moral ideals and move on.

I'll get my coat.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

kapparomeo posted:

The principle's much more fundmental than that. It's a literal direct textbook example of what was warned against in the Sermon On The Mount:

"“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
This is pretty funny though. "Don't give to charity just to impress other people. Give to charity to impress this particular magic person who lives in the sky."

It's not an appeal to modesty or restraint at all, it's just saying you'll get an even bigger reward if you do this in secret because God will see it anyway and let you into the Happy Fun Palace.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm eagerly awaiting the torrent of vanpocalypse cartoons over the weekend/on Monday. :unsmigghh: :getin:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Zephro posted:

This is pretty funny though. "Don't give to charity just to impress other people. Give to charity to impress this particular magic person who lives in the sky."

It's not an appeal to modesty or restraint at all, it's just saying you'll get an even bigger reward if you do this in secret because God will see it anyway and let you into the Happy Fun Palace.

Also who gives a poo poo if you're ostentatious with your good deeds, they're still good deeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

"I was going to donate a million to help homeless gay kids and raise awareness to LGBT homelessness but if i do that forums poster kapparomeo will think I'm grandstanding, guess I'm buying more London property"

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 21, 2014

• Locked thread