Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Cactrot posted:

Everyone I talk to is saying that it's MM2 or something else equally enticing and Vegas.
One person I spoke to had a weird angle on it: he said that it will be a set with reprints of the ABUR duals, but slightly worse (like, lose one life when they ETB) that is specifically Legacy-legal only, and then ban the ABUR duals. I told him that was the worst and craziest idea ever. I think that a lack of information makes people insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

One person I spoke to had a weird angle on it: he said that it will be a set with reprints of the ABUR duals, but slightly worse (like, lose one life when they ETB) that is specifically Legacy-legal only, and then ban the ABUR duals. I told him that was the worst and craziest idea ever. I think that a lack of information makes people insane.

I bet he was real surprised when you told him about this cool new set called 'Ravnica'.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Myriad Truths posted:

I bet he was real surprised when you told him about this cool new set called 'Ravnica'.

The whole thing with MM2 reminds me of hardcore fans of George R R Martin's books. It goes so long between books that people populate the weirdest theories imaginable. Basically, everyone is someone else.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

What would the power level of a cycle of duals that tapped for either color with no drawbacks but didn't have any subtypes?

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

vOv posted:

What would the power level of a cycle of duals that tapped for either color with no drawbacks but didn't have any subtypes?

Probably less than shocks since you can't search them up with fetches.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

vOv posted:

Busted in standard but bad in eternal formats, which is probably not where Wizards wants to be.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Didn't they sort of do that with Mirrodin/New Phyrexia?

They teased at it, but IIRC Mirrodin Pure was never actually being made, unless I'm forgetting something.

VV: Good to know I still function in the morning. Thanks for confirming. :)

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 18, 2014

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Serperoth posted:

They teased at it, but IIRC Mirrodin Pure was never actually being made, unless I'm forgetting something.

This is the case and has been confirmed by Maro on his blog.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
A major-set-level reprinting of Modern Masters would pretty much be the best thing ever.

I really want to play Modern, but I do not want to buy Tarmogoyf at its current price.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

qbert posted:

A major-set-level reprinting of Modern Masters would pretty much be the best thing ever.

I really want to play Modern, but I do not want to buy Tarmogoyf at its current price.

I mean you could just play decks that don't run Goyf.

If you want Green, Pod's a nice choice.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

I mean you could just play decks that don't run Goyf.

If you want Green, Pod's a nice choice.

I also don't want to buy Noble Hierarch at its current price. So maybe rather than a reprint of MM, it'll be MM2 with that included as well.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Ok, So how does abzan beat U/W Heroic or G/W Heroic?

I go the aggro rout and it still has trouble when I side in a bunch of spot removal due to 8 instances of Gods Willing that heroic now has access to. My best guess is to put 3 or even 4 end hostilities in the side board and go for even more control. The only problem is that Heroic can pump out lethal guys on turn 5. From the damage on turn 3 and 4.

joats fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Nov 18, 2014

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I'm kind of glad my LGS doesn't do legacy tournaments. I used to do legacy frequently and it just...feels less fun than standard a lot of the time, especially if you're going up against any of the myriad decks that try to win on turn one or two. It ends up being kind of boring when you're on the receiving end and you're either waiting to lose or waiting to drop the counter that breaks their combo and forces them to resign because that's literally all their deck can do.

Semi-topical -- I ended up getting into a faux-slapfight with some dudes over the weekend over the PTQ in Portland by pointing out that only 6 of the 180 people attending were women, and that it would be cool if that number was higher. Apparently 3% is more than enough. On the bright side, I did end up meeting a lot of really cool people (including several other female players) which totally makes up for me losing a round to an incredibly dumb play mistake with Savage Punch.

I also really, really want to build a Villainous Wealth deck and make it work because drat that card is fun.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

joats posted:

I hope the answer is "it can't" because I'm tired of Abzan stomping over everything just by virtue of playing all the most powerful Standard cards in one deck.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

qbert posted:

I hope the answer is "it can't" because I'm tired of Abzan stomping over everything just by virtue of playing all the most powerful Standard cards in one deck.

Yeah, I think UW has a shot at recovering after a wipe if played right, especially if it got to cash in an ordeal.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

joats posted:

I go the aggro rout and it still has trouble when I side in a bunch of spot removal due to 8 instances of Gods Willing that heroic now has access to. My best guess is to put 3 or even 4 end hostilities in the side board and go for even more control. The only problem is that Heroic can pump out lethal guys on turn 5. From the damage on turn 3 and 4.

Board into at least 4+ Thoughtseize/Despise and hope you can disrupt their curve. It's a really bad match up though, you're slow out of the gate and none of your threats can block effectively to stabilize the board.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Well you've moved on to a new page by now but just in case

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ettin posted:

You can't tap an Instant. Get out of here with this trash.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The whole point of the heroic decks is to beat up on Abzan, so if you did find some tech to turn that into a positive matchup they'd be in a really bad spot.

Your best bet is probably targeted discard backed up by removal to cut them off one half of their deck until you can stick enough dudes of your own to stabilize.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Attorney at Funk posted:

Shh is also part of the cost, you need a colon. Jesus and Christ are also not valid types for an Instant. It's a templating nightmare. Also overcosted.

:|

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
It's also in the blue frame, despite not having blue in its casting cost or a blue color indicator.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ettin posted:

Also unless there's a color indicator having a spell cost 5 colorless and being blue is confusing. Not to mention that Silence is a white spell.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Ettin posted:

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Tribal Instant - Lizard

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

gently caress! We're done here.

Re: stolen cards @ GP NJ

Can't we all agree that leaving $25k of anything unguarded and stealable at any point is a bad idea and that it's still a drat shame we can't have nice things via a happy non stealy environment at big events?

out here in bumblefuck the crowd is very "there is someone here who knows my bag and its safe! *derp*" at both flgs' but I still keep one chair leg inside one shoulder strap of my backpack with the opening side facing me 100% of the time I don't have the bag in front of me on the table because getting your poo poo stolen sucks.

Hate cardboard thieves but don't be suckers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Reene posted:

I'm kind of glad my LGS doesn't do legacy tournaments. I used to do legacy frequently and it just...feels less fun than standard a lot of the time, especially if you're going up against any of the myriad decks that try to win on turn one or two. It ends up being kind of boring when you're on the receiving end and you're either waiting to lose or waiting to drop the counter that breaks their combo and forces them to resign because that's literally all their deck can do.

Semi-topical -- I ended up getting into a faux-slapfight with some dudes over the weekend over the PTQ in Portland by pointing out that only 6 of the 180 people attending were women, and that it would be cool if that number was higher. Apparently 3% is more than enough. On the bright side, I did end up meeting a lot of really cool people (including several other female players) which totally makes up for me losing a round to an incredibly dumb play mistake with Savage Punch.

I also really, really want to build a Villainous Wealth deck and make it work because drat that card is fun.

You sound like a blast at parties.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

Toshimo posted:

You Would Know™

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Toshimo posted:

Asking to be included is such a loving buzkill, I think that separate but equal sounds like a tenable solution for everyone :downs:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I'll admit that until now I have sexistly assumed everyone posting in here is a guy.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I'll admit that until now I have sexistly assumed everyone posting in here is a guy.

Eh, I don't assume everyone is a guy, but everyone's post sounds like a guy in my head. Even if a poster identifies their gender, I still "hear" their post as having a male voice. Now the voices are different depending on whose is talking, and about what. However, everyone's posts, on this forum, sound male.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Eh, I don't assume everyone is a guy, but everyone's post sounds like a guy in my head. Even if a poster identifies their gender, I still "hear" their post as having a male voice. Now the voices are different depending on whose is talking, and about what. However, everyone's posts, on this forum, sound male.

everyone sounds like anime girls to me, op.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

Proxy Legacy owns, everyone should get a chance to play the best format.

I wish Wizards would officially allow Legacy and Vintage tournaments to run proxies, but that's pretty much never going to happen. :v:
That would be admitting that their genuine product isn't necessary to play their game, and that way madness lies. People might start questioning the fundamental premise of a collectible card game!

Attorney at Funk posted:

Serperoth posted:

Also unless there's a color indicator having a spell cost 5 colorless and being blue is confusing. Not to mention that Silence is a white spell.
Yesss. Argue about stupid made up cards rather than gamer nonsense. All according to plan.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

Yesss. Argue about stupid made up cards rather than gamer nonsense. All according to plan.

Actually, it's about ethics in forum moderation.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I hope everyone's "voice" for my posts includes a lot of baaas and gaining one life on upkeep.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I hope everyone's "voice" for my posts includes a lot of baaas and gaining one life on upkeep.

Everyone's posts are narrated by Kevin Arnold's inner monologue.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cactrot posted:

What would you do, if played out of turn?
Would you wig out and unmorph on me?
Lend me your cards and I'll play Legacy.
And I hope I can punch Bertoncini.

Oh, I tap cards with a little help from my friends.
Mm, I get Byes with a little help from my friends.
Mm, gonna Mise with a little help from my friends.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 18, 2014

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cactrot posted:

Everyone's posts are narrated by Morgan Freeman in my head.

You're welcome.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Now, this is probably going to come to absolutely nothing, or to something I get started on and then flake out on like the giant loser I am, but... I've been going over some of the CYOA threads in the Game Room, and thinking a bit about the setting... would people be at all interested in a CYOA set on one of the planes?

YES!

That would be pretty fantastic, particularly since Magic has all sorts of interesting settings.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

forbidden lesbian posted:

everyone sounds like anime girls to me, op.

How kawaii am I, scale of 1-10

Ramos posted:

YES!

That would be pretty fantastic, particularly since Magic has all sorts of interesting settings.

Well, I sure hope you like Lorwyn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Yawgmoth posted:

Everyone's posts are narrated by Morgan Freeman in my head.

You're welcome.

This is the best thing. The very best. :allears:

Also, anyone here planning on going to GP San Antonio? If I can get the time off from work, I'll be driving over for it with a buddy of mine. Be pretty cool to meet some goons and play a little wizard poker.

• Locked thread