Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I've just realised that the answer to all Canada's plane-buying needs is the F-5 with mad drop tanks and an extra internal fuel bay perhaps behind the pilot or whatever.

Think about it: twin engine, won't actually have to shoot anything but can get a nice little radar lock going as part of the conversation with boundary flights from Russia (shoehorn in the AN/APG-81 why not, take out the gun if needs be), and if anything Actually Happens then the USA is just next door with its Proper Planes, the F-22. And it won't cost billions. It's not like Canada's invading anywhere any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I love me some F-5s, and hate dumb derails.

When someone says draw a fighter, this is probably what close to what most people come up with

It'll carry a shitload of bombs for a tiny rear end plane. Granted that math works out to not a lot of bombs still.

These things are seeing upgrades to this day. You can get them setup with everything from AMRAAMs to the Mavericks seen here.

Even the Iranians agree!

Sucks that it was under-engined its entire run, and really could only go toe to toe with a Mig-21 on favorable terms.

And its too bad its big brother the F-20 died off, can you imagine what was basically that 1950's small plane design pushing Mach 2?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cippalippus posted:

That's quite a lot of people angry about Swiss superior democracy and arguing about the Swiss Confederation with a swiss leftist, it's almost as if american impotence in our internal affairs got you guys all mad or something.

Oh, and you can't just keep calling me out and pretend I don't answer.

A couple of points:
A-Most Americans don't care about Swiss politics, nor can they point to Swissland on a map.
B-They only know of this nation's existence because of cheese and the Muppets' chef.
C-I don't think anybody's actually mad at you. Your views are so bizarre that I think it's more like throwing things at the zoo monkeys or tapping on the glass to get a response, except monkeys return fire with poo poo (maybe that's a better analogy than I thought) and creatures in glass boxes rarely care about tapping. Your posts, however, are hilarious.

Some might not be happy with me for spilling the beans, but I'm pretty confident you won't stop shining on, you crazy diamond.

Edit: I think you'd have to split an APG-81 between two or three F-5s to make it fit.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Godholio posted:

Edit: I think you'd have to split an APG-81 between two or three F-5s to make it fit.

Um if you can have a gun pod why not a radar pod? You just aren't thinking outside the box.

Now give me a government contract.

e: actually you fly something with a radar pod on the top, don't you?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Godholio posted:

C-I don't think anybody's actually mad at you.

MrYenko posted:

We're pretty much impotent when it comes to our OWN internal affairs. Who cares about a mountain-bound chocolate factory with a flag, and the impression that their opinion actually loving matters to the rest of the world?

That's cool, sorry for mistaking pages of angry posts about our own referendum against buying new fighter jets for the fact that you care about our own internal politics. Now if you excuse me, I need to collect signatures for a new referendum against the modernization of our land forces.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I was asked to develop a concept for providing indirect fire protection for a contested airborne operation and I've been staring at a blank slide for 30 minutes.

For some reason this reminds me of the F-35.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bewbies posted:

I was asked to develop a concept for providing indirect fire protection for a contested airborne operation and I've been staring at a blank slide for 30 minutes.

The answer is clearly an LHA and its six F-35Bs.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Once again I prove that someone needs to give me a job.

The AeroGavin. Of course.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bewbies posted:

Air dropped networked mortar teams come on man you aint even trying.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cippalippus posted:

That's quite a lot of people angry about Swiss superior democracy and arguing about the Swiss Confederation with a swiss leftist, it's almost as if american impotence in our internal affairs got you guys all mad or something.

Oh, and you can't just keep calling me out and pretend I don't answer.

Man, seriously, shut the gently caress up and take it to D&D. You are trying really hard to ruin a good thread. People come here to see pictures of airplanes, not listen to 18 year olds spout off how superior they are because they vote green party. Go back to tumblr.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

simplefish posted:

I've just realised that the answer to all Canada's plane-buying needs is the F-5 with mad drop tanks and an extra internal fuel bay perhaps behind the pilot or whatever.

Think about it: twin engine, won't actually have to shoot anything but can get a nice little radar lock going as part of the conversation with boundary flights from Russia (shoehorn in the AN/APG-81 why not, take out the gun if needs be), and if anything Actually Happens then the USA is just next door with its Proper Planes, the F-22. And it won't cost billions. It's not like Canada's invading anywhere any time soon.

I am SO on board with this. They're so cheap too, it means I might be able to have one too! :canada:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Godholio posted:

B-They only know of this nation's existence because of cheese and the Muppets' chef.
Hey! :sweden: Unless you're piling on the insults by pointing out that nobody knows the difference between Sweden and Switzerland...

On topic: apparently Sweden leases Gripens to some countries like the Czech Republic. I don't really understand what "leasing" a fighter jet means. Do the Czechs fly them back to Sweden for maintenance or something?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

bewbies posted:

The answer is a group of B52's full of GBU-39/B small diameter bombs flying at high altitude.

quote:

The U.S. Air Force is continuing to upgrade its fifty year old B-52s. The latest upgrade will enable each B-52 to carry over 110 of the 130 kg (285 pound) Small Diameter Bombs (SDB, also known as the GBU-39/B). Six years ago the rotary bomb rack inside the B-52 was modified to carry 32 SDBs instead of 15 larger bombs.

Pre-coordinated strikes will allow a "dump strike" over any given GPS kill box where the enemy is sighted.

Precision strike capability will still maintained for any popup target engagement.

In order to have an airborne operation, air superiority would be required. This would also allow for any B52 operation needed.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

What was going on here? World's smallest aircraft carrier?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
You Won't BELIEVE What Happened When Lightning Struck Two Ducks!

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Europe's able to enjoy that better society and vastly superior standard of living because we've been stupid enough to augment and cheaply (through incentives) supply most European militaries for the better part of a century.

Sweden and Finland built their own militaries though along with the welfare state.

If your military is only intended for national defense, one gets away with spending a lot less.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Ferrying the fighter from shore to a larger ship in deeper water iirc.

Bewbies, you mean protection from indirect fire in a contested airborne operation?

Put up pictures of body armor, I guess.

Or airborne c-ram :black101:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

david_a posted:

On topic: apparently Sweden leases Gripens to some countries like the Czech Republic. I don't really understand what "leasing" a fighter jet means. Do the Czechs fly them back to Sweden for maintenance or something?

We actually have more Gripens than we need for service in the air force, mostly because we ordered a lot and then immediately turned around and disbanded a bunch of air wings immediately after delivery. The aircraft are formally owned by the Swedish state, the Czech republic pays for using them. I don't know exactly how much maintenance they provide themselves and how much is included in the lease, but AFAIK all (or at least the vast majority of) maintenance is done in the Czech republic and not here.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just hope you don't get any bounced Czechs! :downsrim:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

priznat posted:

Just hope you don't get any bounced Czechs! :downsrim:

:buddy:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TheFluff posted:

We actually have more Gripens than we need for service in the air force, mostly because we ordered a lot and then immediately turned around and disbanded a bunch of air wings immediately after delivery. The aircraft are formally owned by the Swedish state, the Czech republic pays for using them. I don't know exactly how much maintenance they provide themselves and how much is included in the lease, but AFAIK all (or at least the vast majority of) maintenance is done in the Czech republic and not here.
OK, so this is Sweden attempting to get money out of planes that would otherwise be sitting around and dealing with countries that couldn't afford to buy them outright?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

david_a posted:

OK, so this is Sweden attempting to get money out of planes that would otherwise be sitting around and dealing with countries that couldn't afford to buy them outright?

Exactly. I'm pretty sure the Czechs were originally planning to buy the aircraft but I think some economic downturn made them go for a lease instead.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Ruse posted:

I am SO on board with this. They're so cheap too, it means I might be able to have one too! :canada:

Realistically speaking, how would an F-5 fare against some of the possible (newer) adversaries?

david_a posted:

Interestingly, Sweden has around 50 Gripen As standing in a shed somewhere, and I proposed as a thought experiment to a friend of mine who is fairly high up in the defense ministry that perhaps NATO could persuade Sweden to "lease" them to the Baltic states for 0.00 EUR. Other major NATO countries could contribute in pilot training, but it seems the running costs would still probably be too high for the Baltic states to handle on their own. Gripens here would be a very good option considering the similar climate and also they have (supposedly) very good radars.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

OhYeah posted:

Realistically speaking, how would an F-5 fare against some of the possible (newer) adversaries?

Well that depends - does the pilot punch out in time? Is it against a European power who can't replace that AMRAAM? because this might work out in the F-5's favor

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

OhYeah posted:

Very poorly. However, that doesn't stop the Marine OPFOR pilots with 20 years of flying under their belts in F-5s from occasionally straight punking young Captains flying F-18s or even the occasional Superbug or Viper.

After a single F-5 managed an unobserved entry into a four-ship of F-18s and killed them all in seconds from extremely short range, the O-6 running the exercise told the F-18 pilots to join the secret service, because all they were good for was taking a bullet.

The thanks the F-5 got for wiping out 4 F-18s immediately? A friendly F-18 shot him down on accident, got to buy the LTC he shot down a keg of his choice.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

simplefish posted:

Um if you can have a gun pod why not a radar pod? You just aren't thinking outside the box.

Now give me a government contract.
You could but it's gonna be a hell of a mess to integrate, and I'm not sure the F-5's systems are capable of even powering it. Also that's gonna be a huge loving pod, so there goes the only valuable characteristics of the airframe: maneuverability and small RCS.

quote:

e: actually you fly something with a radar pod on the top, don't you?

Used to ride in the back, yeah.

david_a posted:

Hey! :sweden: Unless you're piling on the insults by pointing out that nobody knows the difference between Sweden and Switzerland...

Yeah that was :thejoke: I thought it was entertaining.

OhYeah posted:

Against anything in the F-15/Su-27/F-16/MiG-29 families, or any Eurasian fighter since about 1980, an F-5 is hosed. It's going to die before it gets a chance to shoot.

Edit: Flukes like that I observed entry can happen...I saw a Harrier do the same thing at Red Flag to F-16 aggressors. That was pretty awesome in the shot Val debrief to hear "Stop tape, need to assess..." from the Harrier dudes who otherwise probably wouldn't have even attended that one.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 18, 2014

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Mortabis posted:

Every single part of the story with the captain shutting himself in his cabin is amazing (and hilarious). :stonklol:

e: so the captain locks himself in his cabin for months on end, meanwhile loving the chief engineer who is running the ship for him. Nobody decides this is sufficiently out of the ordinary to mention to anyone.

Best part is the Chief Engineer is a hot blond named "Destiny Savage."

I mean, really?

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2014/aug/07/why-uss-cowpens-co-gombert-savage-fired/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hahahaha that's really the most appropriate description isn't it?.

Also re:grippen, it's not just so much the decent radar, it's the combination with its datalink integration.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

OhYeah posted:

Interestingly, Sweden has around 50 Gripen As standing in a shed somewhere, and I proposed as a thought experiment to a friend of mine who is fairly high up in the defense ministry that perhaps NATO could persuade Sweden to "lease" them to the Baltic states for 0.00 EUR. Other major NATO countries could contribute in pilot training, but it seems the running costs would still probably be too high for the Baltic states to handle on their own. Gripens here would be a very good option considering the similar climate and also they have (supposedly) very good radars.

Gripen A/B isn't really NATO compatible. Instruments are graded in metric rather than in knots/feet, which is a major problem if you've got to talk to an air traffic controller of any kind that isn't using the same system - which is all of them. The datalink only lets you talk to other Gripen A/B's (and old school Swedish ground installations that aren't NATO compatible either and probably aren't in service anymore, as well as to any fighter Viggens you might run into :v: (spoilers: there are none flying AFAIK)). The navigation system is probably rather Sweden-centric as well, etc etc.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 18, 2014

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

TheFluff posted:

Gripen A/B isn't really NATO compatible. Instruments are graded in metric rather than in knots/feet, which is a major problem if you've got to talk to an air traffic controller of any kind that isn't using the same system - which is all of them.

Not the Warsaw Pact's... :tinfoil:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Armyman25 posted:

Best part is the Chief Engineer is a hot blond named "Destiny Savage."

I mean, really?

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2014/aug/07/why-uss-cowpens-co-gombert-savage-fired/

Hope she was worth destroying a career over.

The mental image of her commanding a ship while standing on a couple of boxes makes me giggle.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

TheFluff posted:

These Gripen planes were leased including maintenance. In fact I think that is one of the main selling points for Gripen. It's way easier to get a deal when the buyer knows the full cost.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

mlmp08 posted:

Very poorly. However, that doesn't stop the Marine OPFOR pilots with 20 years of flying under their belts in F-5s from occasionally straight punking young Captains flying F-18s or even the occasional Superbug or Viper.

After a single F-5 managed an unobserved entry into a four-ship of F-18s and killed them all in seconds from extremely short range, the O-6 running the exercise told the F-18 pilots to join the secret service, because all they were good for was taking a bullet.

The thanks the F-5 got for wiping out 4 F-18s immediately? A friendly F-18 shot him down on accident, got to buy the LTC he shot down a keg of his choice.

Haha, I would love to hear more stories like this, if anyone has to share.

TheFluff posted:

Gripen A/B isn't really NATO compatible. Instruments are graded in metric rather than in knots/feet, which is a major problem if you've got to talk to an air traffic controller of any kind that isn't using the same system - which is all of them. The datalink only lets you talk to other Gripen A/B's (and old school Swedish ground installations that aren't NATO compatible either and probably aren't in service anymore, as well as to any fighter Viggens you might run into :v: (spoilers: there are none flying AFAIK)). The navigation system is probably rather Sweden-centric as well, etc etc.

Thanks for clearing that up, I think it is pretty clear that unless something dramatic happens those Gripens will be staying in the sheds.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

OhYeah posted:

Thanks for clearing that up, I think it is pretty clear that unless something dramatic happens those Gripens will be staying in the sheds.

Maybe some day there'll be funds to upgrade them after the Swedish government has found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Or something.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Yeah upgrading them to C/D is fairly straightforward, a lot of C/D's came from upgraded A/B's. It's just a matter of money that nobody wants to spend.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TheFluff posted:

Literally designed according to swedish armed forces mandate.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Who likes videos of dumpy-looking carrier-capable transport planes that turned 50 today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GToUP8f8Tg

And a fly-along with the Thunderbirds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJbZrHIS7J4

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

A CH-47 passed low overhead this afternoon. I assume it came from Pease: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pease_Air_National_Guard_Base

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TheFluff posted:

Wait, are NATO ground controllers really handling measurements in knots and feet? loving hell. A quick perusal of the internet also seems to suggest that civilian air traffic control is still done in English Customary. I realize that these things all got going before the west really hopped on board the metrification train, but I had high hopes that like other serious professions, ATC would have moved to metric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Good loving luck telling everyone they have to change all their aircraft displays, every ground control display, and retrain all your pilots to be thinking in a different unit. It's one of those things that is such a tremendous pain in the dick to change you just keep rolling with it.