Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

I'll be interested to see the morale rules. I liked them in BECMI, but I can't think of any other D&D where they were a good and fun addition to the rules.

Wouldn't it have been a good idea in 4E (if they had existed there) because clean-up sucks and is boring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The tactical module is literally "there are squares."

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wouldn't it have been a good idea in 4E (if they had existed there) because clean-up sucks and is boring?

It's honestly been a long time since I actually got to play 4e, but weren't the morale rules along the lines of "you can make a <whatever> check to make a dude run/surrender"?

BECMI had more "by taking these actions (like spellcasting or killing the leader) or displaying overwhelming force, or killing <x/y/z> percent of the opponents, you force a morale check with <bonus/penalty>". Like, instead of being something you do, it was something that happened as you did your normal stuff.

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

It's honestly been a long time since I actually got to play 4e, but weren't the morale rules along the lines of "you can make a <whatever> check to make a dude run/surrender"?

BECMI had more "by taking these actions (like spellcasting or killing the leader) or displaying overwhelming force, or killing <x/y/z> percent of the opponents, you force a morale check with <bonus/penalty>". Like, instead of being something you do, it was something that happened as you did your normal stuff.
Intimidate vs (Will + 10) could make a bloodied opponent surrender as a standard action. It was almost never worth doing from my experience since Will defense scaled faster than the skill, and if it failed you wasted your turn and couldn't try again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

Masiakasaurus posted:

Intimidate vs (Will + 10) could make a bloodied opponent surrender as a standard action. It was almost never worth doing from my experience since Will defense scaled faster than the skill, and if it failed you wasted your turn and couldn't try again.

Oh, ok. Yeah if it was more like BECMI where it was a formalized "some of your opponents flee if you're already winning the battle" it would have been better. Hell, getting Bloodied is right there to trigger it.

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh, ok. Yeah if it was more like BECMI where it was a formalized "some of your opponents flee if you're already winning the battle" it would have been better. Hell, getting Bloodied is right there to trigger it.
4e also had a Leader subtype for enemies, so you could make a rule like "when there are no enemy leaders present, opponents who become Bloodied must make a saving throw at the start of their next turn or flee." Or make it just standard enemies so elites/solos aren't affected.

Minions can't be bloodied but you could force them to check when any monster dies and there's no leader, or something like that. Or just make it automatic: the next minion to act after one or more of their allies is killed while there's no leader flees.

5e could probably work like that as well, more or less, if the morale rules in the DMG turn out to suck.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

quote:

The rules [for creating magic items] are optional. A character needs a formula and possibly special materials and locations (left to the DM). Common items cost 100 GP and require 3rd level; uncommon 500 GP and 3rd level; rare 5,000 GP and 6th level; very rare 50,0000 GP and 11th level; legendary 500,000 GP and 17th level.

A day of crafting (8 hours of work) is worth 25 GP of progress. If the item will cast a spell, the spell must be expended every day during the crafting, but of the spell can be cast once (such as a scroll) the spell needs to be expended only one time. Multiple characters that meet the level prerequisite can cooperate, each contributing 25 GP per day and, if needed, spell slots.

So a rare item would take 240 nonstop days of work to create? Seriously? :psyduck:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

S.J. posted:

So a rare item would take 240 nonstop days of work to create? Seriously? :psyduck:

Well you've got to balance "I want to be able to create magic items" against "I created 27 staves of healing yesterday afternoon, we should probably just fire the cleric".

S.J.
May 19, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

Well you've got to balance "I want to be able to create magic items" against "I created 27 staves of healing yesterday afternoon, we should probably just fire the cleric".

We both know there will be a way for the wizard to bypass that and just make the thing in a day.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

S.J. posted:

We both know there will be a way for the wizard to bypass that and just make the thing in a day.

You mean "at the DM's option, a wizard can bypass...", right?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

You mean "at the DM's option, a wizard can bypass...", right?

No, because spells are the only acceptable form of PC fiat, and your GM knows that :v:

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
This information is what I needed to make headway on my homebrew Artificer, with dumb ideas for features like:

Some dumb houserules for Artificers posted:

Craft Item
Instead of casting a spell each day during the creation of a magical item, an Artificer can make an Intelligence (Arcana) check to replicate the effects of a spell. The DC of the check is 10+the level of the spell being emulated. For example, it would be DC 11 to emulate the casting of Magic Missile, a level 1 spell, to create a Wand of Magic Missile.

Craft Reserve:
An artificer receives a pool of points he can spend instead of gold when crafting a magic item. Your craft reserve equals your Artificer level x your Intelligence modifier x 25. An artificer can also use his craft reserve to supplement the gold cost of the item he is making, taking a portion of the cost from his craft reserve and a portion from his own coffers.

Exceptional Artisan
At 3rd level, an Artificer can reduce the time required to create a magical item by half. A day of crafting (8 hours) for an Artificer is worth 50gp of progress instead of 25gp.

Extraordinary Artisan
At 6th level, an Artificer has learned to pool his resources and parts, reducing the cost of creating a magic item in half. Common items cost 50 GP and require 3rd level; uncommon 250 GP and 3rd level; rare 2,500 GP and 6th level; very rare 25,000 GP and 11th level; legendary 250,000 GP and 17th level.

Retain Essence
Starting at 14th level, whenever you find a magic item, you can spend 1 day (8 hours) with the item and take it apart to study how it works. After 1 day of work, you destroy it and retain the essence of the magic that was used to make it. One half the gold value originally required to make the item, based on rarity, is added to your Craft Reserve.

I was also thinking about granting them the Find Familiar Ritual, and coming up with stat blocks for the old Homunculus creatures Artificers used to be able to create. Something like:

More dumb Artificer Houserules posted:

Craft Homunculus
At 3rd level you learn the find familiar spell and can cast it as a ritual. The spell doesn’t count against your number of spell known.
When you cast the spell, you can choose one of the normal forms for your familiar or one of the following special forms: a crafter homunculus, furtive filcher, expeditious messenger, or iron defender. The familiar is always a construct instead of a celestial, beast, fey, or fiend.
Additionally when you take the attack action, you can forgo one of your own attacks to allow your familiar to make on attack of its own.

And as a bonus, two Homunculus options - one of which is basically a metal wolf:

Homunculus Option Ideas posted:

Crafter Homunculus
Tiny construct, lawful neutral
Armor Class 11
Hit Points 8
Speed 30 ft.
Str 6 (-2)
Dex 13 (+1)
Con 17 (+3)
Int 10 (+0)
Wis 10 (+0)
Cha 10 (+0)
Skills Perception +2, Investigation +2, Stealth +3
Senses Darkvision 60 ft., passive perception 12
Languages All languages known by its creator
Challenge 1/4
Crafter
A crafter homunculus uses its masters proficiencies with artisans tools to craft. The crafter homunculus can be instructed to craft for it’s master. If the homunculus is left alone without instruction it will craft random objects obsessively using whatever materials it can find. It can also assist its master on the crafting of an item, increasing the items quality as well as helping to complete the item faster. It counts as a character for purposes of crafting a magical item, contributing 25gp per day of work to the magic item. In addition it benefits from the Exceptional Artisan and Extraordinary Artisan class features if it assists an Artificer in creation of an item.

Iron Defender
Small construct, lawful neutral
Armor Class 13
Hit Points 11
Speed 40 ft.
Str 12 (+1)
Dex 15 (+2)
Con 12 (+1)
Int 6 (-2)
Wis 12 (+1)
Cha 6 (-2)
Skills Perception +3, Stealth +4, Intimidation +2
Senses Darkvision 60 ft., passive perception 13
Languages -
Challenge 1/4
Keen Hearing and Smell
The iron defender has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.
Pack Tactics
The iron defender has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of the iron defender’s allies is within 5 ft. of the creature and isn’t incapacitated.
Bite
Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 2d4+2 piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

EDIT: Kinda a fake edit: With the Artisan Features and a Crafter Homunculus helping out, a character could spit out an uncommon wand (like Wand of Magic Missile) in 3 days or 24 hours of work, instead of 20 days or 160 hours of work.

Red Hood fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 18, 2014

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Also chiming in to say that morale rules are pretty boss. I think they were present in all editions of D&D up until 3.5, when they were just removed for seemingly no reason. The couple of BECMI and B/X games I've run were extremely enlightening in showing me that the games actually had quite a lot going on that allowed for more alternatives than just fighting.

I mean, combat in BECMI can be hella deadly if things don't go right for you, but the combination of reaction checks, morale, and fleeing rules makes for a game where you don't have to kill every single living thing you run into in order to progress in the dungeon.

Actually, reading all the stuff about D&D 5e is just getting my hyped to run BECMI or B/X again.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ratpick posted:

Actually, reading all the stuff about D&D 5e is just getting my hyped to run BECMI or B/X again.

I ran Mentzer's Basic after getting all inspired during the Next playtest, and dungeon crawling with Basic was still as fun as it was in the 80s.

It also kind of started me re-reading all my old BECMI/AD&D stuff, which slowly brought me to the realisation that what I really wanted out of 5e was an updated BECMI (even just the basic and expert books) not an updated AD&D.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 18, 2014

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

AlphaDog posted:

I ran Mentzer's Basic after getting all inspired during the Next playtest, and dungeon crawling with Basic was still as fun as it was in the 80s.

It also kind of started me re-reading all my old BECMI/AD&D stuff, which slowly brought me to the realisation that what I really wanted out of 5e was an updated BECMI (even just the basic and expert books) not an updated AD&D.
Same here (which was why I created TAAC, a B/X clone with unified mechanics). I own B/X, RC, 1e, 3.5e and 4e, as well as the playtests and Basic PDF of 5e, and of all of them the one I would most want to actually play is B/X. (I know RC is much the same thing, but I prefer B/X, partly out of nostalgia and partly because I have the actual physical books rather than a PDF.) Simpler is better, and I'd much rather take five minutes to roll up a character and then get on with exploring than endure character creation as a session in its own right.

5e is better than 3.x in that respect, but there's still way too much cruft slowing things down.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
^^^ TAAC fan represent!

AlphaDog posted:

Whenever someone sings the praises of how much better Next is for being simpler and faster than 3.x or 4E, I always think that BECMI is already that, but better designed, too.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

TAAC looks totally great, but I haven't been able to convince anyone to give it a try with me yet.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Whenever someone sings the praises of how much better Next is for being simpler and faster than 3.x or 4E, I always think that BECMI is already that, but better designed, too.

I don't think BECMI is better designed, per se. It's much simpler, but it has screwy stupid elements like any game that old. It's more that B/X, BECMI, and RC are actually a very different game to AD&D, which is what 2-3-4-5 have been based on. There's simply much less to interact in weird ways with BECMI's BE component.

Like, Mentzer Basic was a game that you could actually give to an 8 year old kid (like me!) who'd read the choose-your-own-adventure part, then read the "how to be DM" walkthrough, then run it for their friends and have a great time. Try that with AD&D or any of its sequels and watch what happens.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 18, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Masiakasaurus posted:

If you focus Intimidate in 4E, which is not at all hard to do with the right classes, you can make a bloodied enemy auto-surrender. This becomes more useful yet when you are dealing with many bloodied enemies at once.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

Actually, I think I might just have bad taste. I got Dragon Age 2 for six bucks this weekend and have been really liking it, and I've already burned through the first three Legend of Drizzt books with the Icewind Dale trilogy sitting on my shelf.*

DA2's repetitive environments are indeed repetitive, but I liked it more in a lot of ways. "Smaller" city-level story, more parity in the classes.

My newest disappointment with 5e is the monk; the capstone is so lackluster, and some of the best magical powers come from going variant human + magic initiate feat (Guidance? holy cow).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
ENWorld dude with a DMG came back and answered another set of questions. I'll start with the elephants in the room

quote:

[To create monsters,] You can either start with an expected CR and look combat stats on a table, or assign stats such as HD and then look up the CR on a table. If you add character levels to a monster, the HD depend on the monster type and not on the class. Also, proficiency bonus depends on CR and not level.

There is a detailed table bases on combat stats.
[no actual sample of the tables, unfortunately]

quote:

[Morale rules]
Make morale checks when surprised, reduced to 1/2 HP or when the creature has no way of harming the opposition this round. Make a DC 10 wisdom save.
[Rather BECMI-ish, I think?]

quote:

[Optional Marking rule]
You can mark when you make a melee attack. Until the end of your next turn, you gain advantage on opportunity attacks.

quote:

[Optional Flanking rule]
Flanking grants advantage. No mention of OA. If you use facing, a character can only attack frontally and grants advantage to attacks from the rear.

quote:

There are rules for granting a flat proficiency with all ability checks of a certain type (str, dex, etc.). There are also suggestions about adding further abilities such as honor or sanity.

quote:

No specific rules [for buying magic items]. Just a note that the default is that magic items are not for sale, but this can be changed.

quote:

1) +3 is the maximum bonus for weapons, armors, shields and ammunition.

2) You can get a "plain" magical shield and it is cumulative with armor. The shield bonus adds to AC.

quote:

You can use the lingering wound table when the target is critted, when reduced to 0 HP, or when failing a death save by 5 or more.

quote:

There are a few pages on traps, with several examples and tables that suggest save DC and damage.

quote:

Elven chain is a +1 chain shirt, which automatically grants proficiency, even of the wearer isn't proficient with medium armor.

quote:

So far, I haven't seen [any rules pertaining to wealth by level].

quote:

[On the structure of the Planes]
The default assumption is indeed the Great Wheel, with the addition of Feywild, Shadowfell and Far Realm.

There are 4 elemental planes, but the border regions (magma, ooze, smoke and ice) are mentioned. The Elemental Chaos is "around" the Elemental Planes. Oddly enough, the Positive and Negative planes are mentioned at the beginning of the section, but they get no description at all.

quote:

Ravenloft is mentioned. The Domains of Dread are demiplanes, typically reached by the Shadowfell.

[Fear rule for Ravenloft]
Make a wisdom save or be frightened for 1 minute. Horror saves are based on charisma. On a failed save a character can become mad with short term insanity, long term and indefinite (reminds me a lot of CoC). Each thype has a table that you can roll on.

There's also another official DMG preview out, this time talking about the Multiverse (direct PDF link)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's always hilarious to me how many games have a stat act as a 'courage' stat and then do not give incentives (or actively disincentive) to the actual front line fighter classes for taking them. Why, exactly, is Wisdom the courage stat in D&D, anyway?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

It's always hilarious to me how many games have a stat act as a 'courage' stat and then do not give incentives (or actively disincentive) to the actual front line fighter classes for taking them. Why, exactly, is Wisdom the courage stat in D&D, anyway?
Obviously clerics do better in the face of certain death because they know they're set for the afterlife. And for druids, dying is just a natural part of life.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
5e really is the lazy edition. :geno:

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Boing posted:

5e really is the lazy edition. :geno:

This should be hardly surprising seeing as Next is to pathfinder as pathfinder is to 3.5.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

AlphaDog posted:

It's just... 10d4? My whole table probably doesn't have that present on a normal night.

We usually do, but then, we got a bunch of those 12-sided d4s that roll nicely, and have had at least 3 characters at the table using 4e spiked chains, so a bunch of damage dice for them are really useful. I personally have 6 12-sided and 2 caltrops in my dice box.

Maybe I'm unusual iunno.

But 10d4 is still a stupid number of dice to be rolling for whatever.

Is any of that information about planes etc actually new? Is there any of it that's not in the SRD? If not, what's the loving point in wasting money and trees reprinting it?

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

thespaceinvader posted:

what's the loving point in wasting money and trees reprinting it?

Because then the current edition of D&D can be recognizably D&D — so the healing can begin.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

d4s are a really annoying die. They're tiny, difficult to pick up, and sink to the bottom of my tin when I need to fish one out. They also don't really roll. I actually kinda hate them.

That being said I have ten d4s by myself at my table, because collecting dice is something of a hobby of mine.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've kept this on my phone since I didn't have die on my first play.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dasa.diceroller&hl=en

Easy interface, completely free.

Sieje
Jun 29, 2004

My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes.
AD&D had caltrops sold in sets of 10, so 10 d4s is just a standard set...

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Sieje posted:

After having played a bunch of different tabletops at this point I think fewer dice is always better designwise. I don't see why D&D should need more than say, 2 D20s for non-damage rolls and anything more than three or four d6/d8 for damage rolls. Oh well.

I suppose there's something to be said for rolling gigantic handfuls of dice every once in a while, but not D4s...

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Im thinking about running me some becmi. But the i really love from the newer versions are tieflings and dragonborn.
Thinking about hacking tieflings as rogue/wizards, and i really have no idea for the dragonborn. A fighter with breath attack?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Sieje posted:

Yeah, I probably have 10 d4s here if I search a bit, but I don't take all the dice I've bought over 20+ years with me when I go out to play a game. I generally take a small bag of dice with 4d6 and 2 of everything else. Most other people bring something like a single Chessex set with 2d10, 4d6, and one of everything else.

vuk83 posted:

Im thinking about running me some becmi. But the i really love from the newer versions are tieflings and dragonborn.
Thinking about hacking tieflings as rogue/wizards, and i really have no idea for the dragonborn. A fighter with breath attack?

For Tiefling I'd go with with some thief skills and some wizard spells, yeah. give it Fighter or Wizard progression, Thief hp, maybe use the Cleric spell progression but for wizard spells, and then perhaps keep the hide/move/climb thief stuff but drop the locks/traps type things? Or if you give it Elf progression and let it be a full wizard / full thief that would probably work fine too.

For Dragonborn, what about going with Dwarf HP/progression, then giving them a small breath attack that either scales up with level or gains more uses/day with level? If you're new to BECMI, bear in mind that hp are generally much lower than AD&D-2-3-4-5, so an at-will autohit type thing will be much stronger than you'd think.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, I probably have 10 d4s here if I search a bit, but I don't take all the dice I've bought over 20+ years with me when I go out to play a game. I generally take a small bag of dice with 4d6 and 2 of everything else. Most other people bring something like a single Chessex set with 2d10, 4d6, and one of everything else.

For Tiefling I'd go with with some thief skills and some wizard spells, yeah. give it Fighter or Wizard progression, Thief hp, maybe use the Cleric spell progression but for wizard spells, and then perhaps keep the hide/move/climb thief stuff but drop the locks/traps type things? Or if you give it Elf progression and let it be a full wizard / full thief that would probably work fine too.

For Dragonborn, what about going with Dwarf HP/progression, then giving them a small breath attack that either scales up with level or gains more uses/day with level? If you're new to BECMI, bear in mind that hp are generally much lower than AD&D-2-3-4-5, so an at-will autohit type thing will be much stronger than you'd think.

Nice ideas. Thank you.
Any ideas for warforged? Basic fighter but with warforged special immunities, mage progression?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

vuk83 posted:

Nice ideas. Thank you.
Any ideas for warforged? Basic fighter but with warforged special immunities, mage progression?

Shamefully, I don't know enough about Warforged to give advice on this one. They're one of my favorite concepts, but I never had the opportunity to play in or run a game where they were a thing.

Could you just reskin Dwarf? I mean, keep everything the same, but rewrite the immunities, resistances, and special skills to suit the warforged? e: Immunities seem like a bad idea maybe. Elf is immune to sleep/charm, so maybe it won't matter.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Warforged should be strongly susceptible to sleep/charm, just like my computer.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
What other cool poo poo from the newer editions should be ported into becmi. I really like the shadowfell and the fey thingamagingi, so im gonna use that.
I also really like the idea of concentration from 5edition. Maybe marking.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If there were BECMI warlocks I'd probably never play anything else.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Stuff I would do in a BE(cmi) retroclone:

Classes:
Warlock, Warlord, Tiefling, Warforged.

Mechanics:
Unify everything to rolls of 1d20 or maybe 3d6.
5e-style advantage or 4e-style combat advantage or some kind of combination of the two which would depend on the above.
Grid-based combat or a better ToTM range system, again depending on how the previous alterations worked.

Expand/Alter:
Attributes-as-skills expanded and explained or skills-as-attributes as-in "you are <fighter>, roll <fighter> to do x".
Cut back the weapons and armour list into something simpler/reskinnable, shift special weapon abilities into a combat feats system.
Limit levels down to something sensible, like ~10-15.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 19, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

moths posted:

If there were BECMI warlocks I'd probably never play anything else.
Supposedly it does???? Though I don't know how they play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
I think I'm going to import BECMI morale rules, and encountering NPC rules, roughly based off On The Non Player Character.