Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

crestfallen posted:

If you want just an ad blocker, uBlock is the way to go. If you want something more comprehensive, you can't beat httpswitchboard. They're both by the same dude. He knows what's up.

Is Adblock Plus not A Thing anymore? I don't understand.

Should I just switch to one of these two or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
µBlock is the current Chrome Adblocker to have. The author claims that it's quite a bit faster and less memory intensive than Adblock Plus, which seems to be true.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 11, 2014

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I tried uBlock, immediately encountered several pages that were just broken unless I turned off all element hiding rules, and then got immensely frustrated with the bad UI for blocking custom sections of a page. I'll stick with regular Adblock.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is Adblock Plus not A Thing anymore? I don't understand.

Should I just switch to one of these two or something?

Adblock plus has never been the leading Adblocker extension on Chrome, and has long had performance problems compared to "Adblock". uBlock (or HTTP Switchboard) are both an order of magnitude better than that in my experience.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is HTTPS Switchboard better on memory than AdBlock Plus too or should I just go with uBlock? I'm assuming that HTTPS Switchboard does the exact same thing as uBlock just offers a lot more fine tuning controls.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is HTTPS Switchboard better on memory than AdBlock Plus too or should I just go with uBlock? I'm assuming that HTTPS Switchboard does the exact same thing as uBlock just offers a lot more fine tuning controls.

FWIW, I've used HTTP Switchboard for awhile but just switched to uBlock because I didn't use any of the features of HTTP Switchboard. I certainly haven't seen any performance differences between them.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, I've used HTTP Switchboard for awhile but just switched to uBlock because I didn't use any of the features of HTTP Switchboard. I certainly haven't seen any performance differences between them.

I have both installed but uBlock on disable to test HTTP Switchboard...I can see where one probably wouldn't use all of those features anyway. I'll give uBlock a try later this week and see how that goes.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
uBlock is more like traditional adblocking things. It's very efficient and can even use standard adblock style rules and lists. It is better than AB/ABP in every way except creating custom rules.

HTTPswitchboard manages ALL the connections. CSS, images, cookies, scripts, XHR, plugins, frames, the whole kit and caboodle. It's very granular. So if you've ever wanted that powerhouse of Adblock + NoScript from the Firefox days, HTTPswitchboard is about as close as you'll get.

HTTPswitchboard is quite a bit more to manage than Adblock + Disconnect or the like though.

crestfallen fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 12, 2014

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

I'm witching over from Adblock to uBlock -- should I keep Disconnect or does uBlock handle that?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Lately I've been receiving an error when opening Chrome: "Your profile could not be opened correctly." It pops up about 6 windows with this error. It only happens on my Linux installation, not Windows. I've followed the advice here about deleting the profile directories. This typically solves the problem for a day or two and then the error just starts showing up again. If I don't sign into my profile, I don't get the error.

I've resorted to completely uninstalling Chrome both at work (windows) and home (linux) and reinstalling. Error still pops up on Linux. Lately I've been trying out the beta and dev channel releases, and I think the problem began occurring around that time. But I've since uninstalled all instances other than the stable release and the problem persists.

Do I have a corrupt profile? What can I do?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

caiman posted:

Lately I've been receiving an error when opening Chrome: "Your profile could not be opened correctly." It pops up about 6 windows with this error. It only happens on my Linux installation, not Windows. I've followed the advice here about deleting the profile directories. This typically solves the problem for a day or two and then the error just starts showing up again. If I don't sign into my profile, I don't get the error.

I've resorted to completely uninstalling Chrome both at work (windows) and home (linux) and reinstalling. Error still pops up on Linux. Lately I've been trying out the beta and dev channel releases, and I think the problem began occurring around that time. But I've since uninstalled all instances other than the stable release and the problem persists.

I had this problem a year ago and I had to uninstall all extensions then enable them one by one and give it a few days between enabling each so I could see which one was screwing stuff up.

I found the culprit, but I can't remember which it was now.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Thermopyle posted:

I had this problem a year ago and I had to uninstall all extensions then enable them one by one and give it a few days between enabling each so I could see which one was screwing stuff up.

I found the culprit, but I can't remember which it was now.

Ah, extensions! I'll give it a try, thanks.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

caiman posted:

Haha, this is pretty funny. I actually have the same problem - friend gave me an old laptop, so I stuck unbuntu on a USB stick (he took the hard drive out of it) and run it off that. About 50% of the time, I get the same error. This is my first time using Linux anything (thought gently caress it, might as well try it) so it's been...interesting, to say the least. So far I haven't found the problem.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Haha, this is pretty funny. I actually have the same problem - friend gave me an old laptop, so I stuck unbuntu on a USB stick (he took the hard drive out of it) and run it off that. About 50% of the time, I get the same error. This is my first time using Linux anything (thought gently caress it, might as well try it) so it's been...interesting, to say the least. So far I haven't found the problem.

Interesting. I wonder if it's Linux-related. Maybe some combination of Linux + crappy extensions. Though I'm still wondering if it has something to do with syncing my profile across varying release channels (stable, beta, dev). For now I'll give the extension theory a try. I've removed all of them. We'll see what happens.

Whatever the outcome, don't let this taint your experience with Linux. For every one Linux-specific problem there are about ten other things it does better than Windows.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

caiman posted:

Interesting. I wonder if it's Linux-related. Maybe some combination of Linux + crappy extensions. Though I'm still wondering if it has something to do with syncing my profile across varying release channels (stable, beta, dev). For now I'll give the extension theory a try. I've removed all of them. We'll see what happens.

Whatever the outcome, don't let this taint your experience with Linux. For every one Linux-specific problem there are about ten other things it does better than Windows.

Yeah, from my :google: skills it seems to be mostly linux related. Also, I'm not letting it taint my linux experience, it's all a learning experience for me :v:

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
Is Ghostery still a thing, or will uBlock take care of all the stuff Ghotsery does?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Welp, no go on the extension theory. I deleted all my extensions, got home this evening, signed into Chrome and was greeted with the "Your profile could not be opened correctly" error.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

quote:

should I keep Disconnect or does uBlock handle that?

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Is Ghostery still a thing, or will uBlock take care of all the stuff Ghotsery does?
uBlock + Disconnect is a great combo if you don't go the HTTPswitchboard route.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Question about httpswitchboard: besides getting rid of a banner how do I get it to not leave a gap where the ad used to be a la Adblock?

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

This is the developer's opinion of what to do since HTTP Switchboard is going to become uMatrix and have the adblock stuff taken out: https://github.com/gorhill/httpswitchboard/issues/378

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

This is the developer's opinion of what to do since HTTP Switchboard is going to become uMatrix and have the adblock stuff taken out: https://github.com/gorhill/httpswitchboard/issues/378

So basically it'll be the same if you just use uBlock and HTTP Switch?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What does it mean when Chrome is running in the background? Like, you can see its icon in your taskbar. It seems to just take up a good amount of memory only for the benefit of booting Chrome up more quickly.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

ThermoPhysical posted:

So basically it'll be the same if you just use uBlock and HTTP Switch?
Yes. Right now it's one or the other because they largely overlap each other. One is just more "complete" than the other.

This will separate them out into distinct parts with little or no overlap. One for adblocking and hiding, one for scripts / plugins / frames and other crap.

It's a good move but too bad about the name change.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
Has anyone had a problem recently with Netflix not playing in HD with Chrome? I can get HD video just fine with Firefox, but it stopped working for Chrome. I can get a regular SD stream just fine, but no HD :(.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
My Chrome won't update on Win 8.1, I get this error "Update failed (error: 7)An error occurred while checking for updates: Google Chrome cannot be updated due to inconsistent Google Update Group Policy settings. Use the Group Policy Editor to set the update policy override for the Google Chrome Binaries application and try again; see http://goo.gl/uJ9gV for details". This happened before and reinstalling Chrome got me to the latest version, but refused to update beyond that.

Edit: Quick registry fix worked. Huh.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 18, 2014

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Is there a way to script in chrome which will let me highlight a word, then right click and send that highlighted word to a web app's search URL to bring the results for that word up?

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
I need to learn to not mess with settings unless I write down what it is that I'm doing.

I have Chrome version 39.0.2171.62 beta-m, but I think that the problem I'm having is just me screwing with a font setting, I'm just not sure how to fix it. My font on some pages looks "wrong," in the sense that some characters are thick and bunched up, greatly reducing legibility when trying to skim. An example is below:

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'd be much appreciative, this is a huge pain.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Why does Youtube Center do this to all of the videos I go to?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Farchanter posted:

I need to learn to not mess with settings unless I write down what it is that I'm doing.

I have Chrome version 39.0.2171.62 beta-m, but I think that the problem I'm having is just me screwing with a font setting, I'm just not sure how to fix it. My font on some pages looks "wrong," in the sense that some characters are thick and bunched up, greatly reducing legibility when trying to skim. An example is below:

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'd be much appreciative, this is a huge pain.
I don't know how to fix it specifically, but that is because the fonts are not being anti-aliased. Google's lovely fonts that are sadly so popular on many websites are not naturally anti-aliased, so they look like poo poo (precisely like your screenshot) if neither your browser nor your OS does anti-aliasing on them.

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"

MohShuvuu posted:

Why does Youtube Center do this to all of the videos I go to?

Goto Youtube Center Settings, click on Player then the Player Size tab and fiddle with the settings.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Mujaji posted:

Goto Youtube Center Settings, click on Player then the Player Size tab and fiddle with the settings.

Tried this, I even disabled both auto-resolution and re-size. Resetting to defaults also keeps the videos looking like that.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Is it an HTML5 video? Mine won't resize HTML5 videos. It does flash just fine. Sometimes I see that for Flash videos, but it corrects itself after a second or two.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Here's what I've figured out since the bug affects me also.

The bug: HTML5 video doesn't fully fill up the player size if Chrome isn't maximized, as shown in Moh's screencap.

Fixes/workarounds: 1) In Youtube Center settings, under Player/General, set Player type to Flash. Doing this, you lose out on some functionality, such as 60 fps video for certain uploads. 2) Run Chrome maximized, or with a width wide enough to prevent whatever player scaling fuckery is causing the bug. 3) As mentioned by Mujaji, in Youtube Center settings, go to Player/Player Size, and uncheck Enable resize. When I was loving with settings on this tab, sometimes they wouldn't take effect without a couple refreshes or ctrl+f5's. Note that this won't scale the video up to the size of the player, but scale the size of the player back down to Youtube's defaults.

I like running Chrome at ~738 pixels wide which allows flash videos run in a 720p player to fill the browser's width without a horizontal scrollbar, so if anyone finds a way to let me do that without having to force flash, that'd be great.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Experto Crede posted:

Is there a way to script in chrome which will let me highlight a word, then right click and send that highlighted word to a web app's search URL to bring the results for that word up?
And I'm guessing beyond just using Searching on Google?

You would want to use contentMenus in an extension, and do something like outlined here.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I can't seem to find an extension to dial numbers with Google Hangouts. Like...click phone number on page: initiates phone call with Hangouts.

Anyone know how to do this?

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"

Experto Crede posted:

I use "yet another drag and go" for that, highlight click and drag you can set it to search different sites depending on your drag direction if you want.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I've got a weird problem that just started with Chrome on my Windows 8 tablet. Sometimes, when I click, using the touchscreen, on some elements, it does this weird thing, and it won't let me click on some links.

But when I attach the keyboard and click using the trackpad, it works normally. I don't know if it's a Windows problem, or a Chrome problem, but it only happens in Chrome.

Ideas?

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I've got a weird problem that just started with Chrome on my Windows 8 tablet. Sometimes, when I click, using the touchscreen, on some elements, it does this weird thing, and it won't let me click on some links.

But when I attach the keyboard and click using the trackpad, it works normally. I don't know if it's a Windows problem, or a Chrome problem, but it only happens in Chrome.

Ideas?

That is what Chrome does on my phone when it can't tell what link you're trying to click/touch. It zooms in a little area of the page so you can click with better precision.

This thread talks about it, looks like a problem that just popped up for quite a few windows tablet users. I don't see a fix yet but they're gathering info.

edit: Google employee Sarah said this six hours ago..

quote:

Thank you all for your reports. We are working on this issue! We will get back to you as soon as there is a workaround or fix in place. Thank you for your patience.

Best,
Sarah

Pivit fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 22, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Pivit posted:

That is what Chrome does on my phone when it can't tell what link you're trying to click/touch. It zooms in a little area of the page so you can click with better precision.

This thread talks about it, looks like a problem that just popped up for quite a few windows tablet users. I don't see a fix yet but they're gathering info.

edit: Google employee Sarah said this six hours ago..
Ah. Well hopefully they fix it ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Ideas?

Me too.

Experto Crede posted:

I use FastestFox for Chrome.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 23, 2014