Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright, so this is where I'm at right now. I've just beaten skeleton lords, and I also beat the sentinels.

Where should I go to get summoned / how can I improve my character? Is it too late and needs to be scrapped?

E: I've used 2 soul vessels.

E2: I'm playing right now, so chat me any tips @ steamcommunity.com/id/Turtlishus

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Get rid of the Guardian's Ring and the Ring of Binding, if you can. Actually, all of your rings -- the Leo Ring isn't helpful for your bash attacks, and the Regen ring isn't fast enough to be useful. If you can make it to the Lost Sinner, you're just about at the butter zone to get summoned. Don't be afraid to use Human Effigies more to keep your hollowing back. I'm guessing you're going for a hexer build? You want lots of Dark Orbs, and there's a petrified dude just before the Sinner's Rise who sells another copy. Also, you want your Agility to be around 100, so you can dodge worth a poo poo, or you want a 100% Physical Defense shield, which your Large Leather isn't. If you have the Drangleic Shield from the area beyond the Pursuer, that's solid.

Commit to the Sunset Staff. You don't need the extra weight of the Sorcerer's Staff. If getting under 30% equip load is possible, do it. Your Stamina regen will thank you. Also, clear up your hotbar. A core of Estus / Lifegems / Summon Signs and I GUESS Poison Moss will do you much better when you don't have the time to scroll through. Guardian blue-orb summoning is basically hosed in NG, so don't worry about that.

And it's never too late, because Soul Vessels exists for respecs. There's more than a few in the game, and in any case, your character is not unsalvagable. :)

Bogart fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 18, 2014

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Turtlicious posted:

Alright, so this is where I'm at right now. I've just beaten skeleton lords, and I also beat the sentinels.

Where should I go to get summoned / how can I improve my character? Is it too late and needs to be scrapped?

First off, congrats on beating the sentinels, you're going to do fine. Second, you can respec using an item called the Soul Vessel so you can change build or correct mistakes. You don't need to scrap.

All characters like stamina. It lets you cast more, swing more, block more. Drop some points on endurance. Also, check out the AGL(Agility) stat in the Performance tab. That determines how long the invincible portion of your roll lasts. Its a good idea to raise it to at least 100. It scales strongly with Adaptability and weakly with Attunement.

If you're wanting to learn to PvP then join the bell keepers covenant. Its behind the Pharros mechanism in the basement below the bonfire in the room after the sentinels. If you want to co-op then poke around Harvest Valley for the Sun covenant.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Since we're talking general stat advice I've got a few questions.

My current character has (off the top of my head) 20 VIG/END and 40 STR/INT and I'm using a magic weapon. Everything from here on in is 'nice to have' rather than essential. Should I be pushing END beyond 20 or am I just as well dumping loads of points into VIT for the equip load? Or should I push INT up to 50 for some extra damage?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wouldn't put more than around 9 points into VIT for the Flynn's Ring damage boost. At this point you should mostly be increasing VIG/END, as well as making sure you have enough agility for a good roll. You could also put points into ATT for spell slots, and it increases your agility as well.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

E2: I'm playing right now, so chat me any tips @ steamcommunity.com/id/Turtlishus

Sent you a friend invite in case you need MAD TIPS AND TRICKS FROM SOFTWARE DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
First off, you aren't using any weapons with thrust attacks, so the Leo Ring does nothing for you. The Way of Blue ring is very weak; even a plain old Life Ring should be more effective. The Red Tearstone Ring isn't nearly as good in DS2 as it was in DS1.

The Morningstar isn't going to give you as much damage as a Mace, and even if bleed triggers it's not that good. I like the Large Leather Shield, though, good protection for its weight/str requirement. As was said before, sticking to one staff is probably the right idea.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Sent you a friend invite in case you need MAD TIPS AND TRICKS FROM SOFTWARE DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW.

I added you and then immediately forgot your steam.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Ugh, 3 hours of farming and...4 Loyce Souls to show for it. Can somebody just give me either Loyce Souls or the Loyce set?

EDIT: NG, 3.9 mil SM, Name Engraved is set to Kremmel, but I'll have to put that on since right now I'm just camping at the Cathedral. Name is Sir MacDonald.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 18, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Gologle posted:

Ugh, 3 hours of farming and...4 Loyce Souls to show for it. Can somebody just give me either Loyce Souls or the Loyce set?

Eat some coins and stick the mimic on your head. I've had decent enough luck that way as well as keeping my sign down for people to summon me. Unfortunately though you can't drop Loyce Souls :(

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Gologle posted:

EDIT: NG, 3.9 mil SM, Name Engraved is set to Kremmel, but I'll have to put that on since right now I'm just camping at the Cathedral. Name is Sir MacDonald.

Just use Cheat Engine.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Papercut posted:

Just use Cheat Engine.

Haven't people gotten banned for that?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Has this thread really be going in circles like this for the last six months?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Chomp8645 posted:

That's pretty much how it has always been, how Dark Souls 1's threads were, and how it probably always will be. The solution to something monotonous and boring in Dark Souls 2 on PC will almost always be "use cheat engine". Soft banning is in fact a thing yes but it's like the bad sport pool in other online games where instead of being locked out of all activity, you can only co-op with or invade (or be invaded by) other people that are also soft banned. There's not a real huge chance of it happening to you and chances are you probably won't even notice if it does. If you find cheat engine objectionable, don't use it and hopefully someone will drop the stuff for you (they probably got it through cheat engine), if you're fine with it then it's pretty easy to use.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

This just in, chronologically ordered thread on the internet with a large poster population about a video game goes in circles. More at 11.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Artificer posted:

Haven't people gotten banned for that?

I don't know. I always assume people get banned for things that actually affect others' games or that are not possible. Using it in offline mode just to give yourself some items that are farmable doesn't seem like something that would get you banned.

I used it to give myself a Lizard Staff because I had already killed the chariot boss, and nothing bad happened.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
IMO cheating is bad and you shouldn't do it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Silly question, since I haven't paid attention to this since relativly close to launch, and didn't go particularly far (I saw all the lava in iron keep, turned right around and killed myself a giant spider instead).

Is there still that FPS bug which makes large weapons like greatclubs as fragile as balsawood due to the ramped up 'weapons take extra damage for touching corpses' effect?

Do (normal hax free in game) convenient solo methods of effigy and bonfire ascetic obtainment exist before I'm basically at the endgame and can farm giant memories forever?

From what I did play, felt like this bizarre combination of "This is so much easier than the first game" and "Why is this ballbusting compared to the first game?" anyways. Mostly centered around "I kill things so fast with these unupgraded/barely upgraded weapons holy poo poo haha gently caress you every boss I've fought past first pursuer" and "Why does almost everything that isn't a generic human sized hollow have the ability to kill me in two or three hits, when I have over 1k health, and as much armor as possible without fat rolling?".

That and that hindsight realization once I wiki'd up "Oh, you start the game with less dodge I frames than fat roll, I have to work my my way UP to mid roll I frames". This is what brought me from swearing constantly at the royal rat authority for hours to "Oh, well that boss is done then. dick."

EDIT: vvv :argh: My caveman violence! I just felt like such a doof turning in Bandicam or whatever to try and cap my FPS just so I could get something approaching "normal gameplay" regarding big weapons durability. I could clear out all of Earthen peaks, plus boss, constantly smacking walls with a smaller weapon and no worries on durability (though it was rather close by the end). But try with a fresh full durability large club and a durabiility ring, to make it through Skeleton lords, one swing per normal skeleton, three or so swings per lord and avoiding hitting the scattered skeleton corpses? Noooooooo it's gotta break right as bonewheels spawn :argh: :argh: :argh: (And then round two, go hog wild with a smaller weapon what was durability loss again?)

As for effigies and ascetics, that was more a curiosity of convenience. Because I'm just sorta meh on needing to locate normal circumstances finite consumables, to allow for grinding souls, to afford repairs or upgrades etc on my own time instead of banking on internet stranger time. I'm already a higher level than I beat the first game where I left off, and feel a fraction as capable...

Though I suppose splitting Stamina and Vitality into multiple stats as well as "Have a brand new stat, which you need to make your dodge roll not poo poo" accounts for my level inflation.

I'm sure the feeling will change if I get back to it, and get farther. But admittedly most of the "difficulty" for the sequel has felt an aspect of mechanics rather than challenge. Ruin sentinels ain't so tough when you can't literally one-shot me from full health during your leap up onto the balcony from below anymore, huh, are yah (merely 90% of my health at the time, which was doable).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 19, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Tracula posted:

Eat some coins and stick the mimic on your head. I've had decent enough luck that way as well as keeping my sign down for people to summon me. Unfortunately though you can't drop Loyce Souls :(

I can drop Loyce Souls. My offer of such stands.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Section Z posted:

Silly question, since I haven't paid attention to this since relativly close to launch, and didn't go particularly far (I saw all the lava in iron keep, turned right around and killed myself a giant spider instead).

Is there still that FPS bug which makes large weapons like greatclubs as fragile as balsawood due to the ramped up 'weapons take extra damage for touching corpses' effect?

Do (normal hax free in game) convenient solo methods of effigy and bonfire ascetic obtainment exist before I'm basically at the endgame and can farm giant memories forever?

From what I did play, felt like this bizarre combination of "This is so much easier than the first game" and "Why is this ballbusting compared to the first game?" anyways. Mostly centered around "I kill things so fast with these unupgraded/barely upgraded weapons holy poo poo haha gently caress you every boss I've fought past first pursuer" and "Why does almost everything that isn't a generic human sized hollow have the ability to kill me in two or three hits, when I have over 1k health, and as much armor as possible without fat rolling?".

That and that hindsight realization once I wiki'd up "Oh, you start the game with less dodge I frames than fat roll, I have to work my my way UP to mid roll I frames". This is what brought me from swearing constantly at the royal rat authority for hours to "Oh, well that boss is done then. dick."

The durability thing is still around, there's no great place to grind ascetics or effigies but I don't see why you'd need one either. There are enemies that drop both I think, wouldn't call that convenient though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Tallgeese posted:

I can drop Loyce Souls. My offer of such stands.

Yeah, but I don't want you to alter your SM down/up to my level, because apparently that carries a high-ish chance of being banned. Also I don't know if you've got a guy on NG.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gologle posted:

Yeah, but I don't want you to alter your SM down/up to my level, because apparently that carries a high-ish chance of being banned. Also I don't know if you've got a guy on NG.

I have done almost everything under the sun when it comes to Dark Souls II, and From refuses to touch me.

So, don't worry about me. Drop your Kremmel sign.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Thanks based Sun Herald.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tallgeese posted:

I have done almost everything under the sun when it comes to Dark Souls II, and From refuses to touch me.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tallgeese posted:

Yo can I ask you some questions about banning and stuff? Can I just give myself 50 proud souls and be good? Just so I can get my character to where I want?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Turtlicious posted:

Yo can I ask you some questions about banning and stuff? Can I just give myself 50 proud souls and be good? Just so I can get my character to where I want?

Honestly, I really don't know. I edit my SM and name all the time and From doesn't do anything.

I gave myself 50 Loyce Souls and then edited them so I could drop them (my item counts are set to not decrease so I drop them for every host who summons me to the Old Chaos), and From doesn't seem to care about that either.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 19, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you offline during?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

No, I am not.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm super paranoid about getting banned or w/e so whenever anyone drops anything at me I'm gonna either ignore it or black crystal out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You're not gonna get banned for that, I'm still not convinced this soft ban thing is even real. Just pick up the nice gift you baby.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Paranoia isn't rational :tinfoil:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Even if you get banned, isn't it stupid easy to remove it? Like, literally "just erase this folder"-easy?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Manatee Cannon posted:

You're not gonna get banned for that, I'm still not convinced this soft ban thing is even real. Just pick up the nice gift you baby.

It's not necessarily nice. Never pick up a weapon you didn't ask for in case it's a +14, for example.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Picking up +14 weapons might gently caress up your save, considering the reinforcement was never meant to go that high. Tread carefully.

Speaking of dropping items, I had a nice invasion in the Lost Bastille the other day. Guy waved at me and dropped a radiant lifegem for me to take, so I dropped some rogue water for him. We threw down some carvings, bowed at each other and had a nice little duel. He proceeded to utterly destroy me with his rapier.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I already emailed them about it in the past and yes soft banning is real (I am soft banned). Whether you believe them or not is up to you, but I'm still under the belief that even if you do get soft banned it doesn't matter and you won't notice.

Azran posted:

Even if you get banned, isn't it stupid easy to remove it? Like, literally "just erase this folder"-easy?

No, it is applied to your Steam account similarly to VAC bans and reinstalling the game won't make it go away. I know because I tried it. I am a living experiment wwwwoooOOOoooooOOOoo

edit: According to this reddit thread, doing this will work, but I haven't tried it because I didn't bother deleting stuff out of the appdata folder.

further edit: Tried it and it did not work, I still can't summon/be summoned, so it may not work for you either! Who knows! Who cares!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 19, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Would you mind telling us what you did?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You received a message from the PR people at Bamco, not from Fromsoft. I remain unconvinced.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
That's weird, I got the reddit method to work on a friend's softbanned account.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

You received a message from the PR people at Bamco, not from Fromsoft. I remain unconvinced.

Believe what you want, I'm the one that can't summon/be summoned by or invade/be invaded by people who haven't ever hacked anything in. Personally I prefer it this way because the multiplayer in this game sucks.

Turtlicious posted:

Would you mind telling us what you did?

I have done basically every kind of cheating you can do, from changing my character's name to editing my number of souls (like one time) to giving myself equipment for gimmick runs to changing my movesets. The only thing I HAVEN'T done is cheat in multiplayer of any kind.

Azran posted:

That's weird, I got the reddit method to work on a friend's softbanned account.

It turns out I read the directions wrong and instead of deleting the whole folder I just deleted my profile, and according to the comments that makes a difference. I will try that and see if anything changes.

edit: Nope, still can't co-op. Oh well. I can still see bloodstains, phantoms, and messages so I'm not really missing anything either way.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I doubt it, but does anyone have a willingness to give me a Warlock Mask? I'm running out of places to find Bonfire Acetics to farm this motherfucker.