Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Waffleopolis posted:

So is there no unlock for beating Mom's Heart with The Lost? Not talking about the Hard Mode baby here, I just mean any item in general.

No one gets an unlock for beating the heart on normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
I just had one of those runs that shouldn't have gone anywhere and yet it somehow worked.

First room was guillotine. I nearly reset right then and there but I had been resetting so much on Cain. All my of Cain runs turn to poo poo really quick it seems. For all the "Luck" he has, I've had nothing but crap with him.

Second or third floor produced scapular and then from there it was a lot of HP ups and stat up stuff. Eventually got a devil deal with Death's Touch. Forth item floor produced Chocolate milk, which I'm not a big fan of since I don't like the charging on it that much, but I figured "Hell, may as well make this turn to crap as fast as possible instead of dragging it on." Last floor, D20, which made me laugh. Womb was an XL and I found a D3 room so I spent some time rerolling items everywhere and picking up more health. Quite amazingly, I beat Sheol and Satan up. I took the Negative (again "May as well see how crappy we can make this.") So on to Dark Room. I started recording after I cleared a few rooms and it looked like this might work out.

http://youtu.be/egQnddFTCl8

Guillotine is one of the most disconcerting items.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'd say "I am become death" but death wish he could become me.

Got Dark Bum + Mitre and grotesquely excessive damage. Could have even more but I turned down Cricket's Head for Mom's Contacts.

e: I'm so overpowered that Brimstone nerfed the poo poo out of me :negative:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 18, 2014

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
What's harder, the Lamb or the regular sized room with 8-10 teleporting ghosts where nowhere is safe?

I've had some comically game-breaking Eden runs lately. One I started off with the whore of babylon + the IV bag and then scapular on the 1st item room. Infinite money on the first floor and infinite spirit hearts by the end of caves I. Another run I started off with the prayer card, took every devil deal item I came across, ended as guppy with brimstone and oneshot most bosses (even monstro II's lost like 70% on my initial brimstone) ending by 0-shotting the Lamb just walking in with my massive orbit of unused flies.

Kenishi posted:

http://youtu.be/egQnddFTCl8

Guillotine is one of the most disconcerting items.
I've given guillotine a few tries, I'm staunchly of the opinion that it's basically chocolate milk but 3x worse. Sure it's a straight stat upgrade but that doesn't account for all shots you'll miss or won't fire because your head is clipping through some rock or wall. And then there's all the walking into spikes...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ugh big spiders are bullshit. Walked into a room as the Lost and within half a second a psychic spider jumped through me. It was a good run too.

Also seriously, gently caress the Haunt on floor 1(or even 2). I've only once gotten past the 2 mini-ghosts phase without taking damage. Oh and by the way, even when transparent the Haunt still does contact damage.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Had a good blue baby run, had zero defensive items so not being able to see anything made it pretty exciting :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Power of Pecota posted:

I wonder if that's a bug where there's just a "Is this run seeded? If no, don't unlock" check on unlocks so the prior runs don't count or if it was done intentionally because Mullibooms are total fuckers to get.

Not a bug, an inevitability of design. The game clearly has a number of flags that it uses to track achievement unlocks. When you alter one from 0 to 1, it checks to see if the separate flag for "no unlocks" is on; if it is, you don't get the unlock. For everything other than The Lost, this works fine. However, unlocking The Lost has progress flags that must be unlocked over four separate runs and only the last one changes an achievement unlock flag. So you can get your first three progress flags in seeded runs and only need to have achievement unlocks available for the last.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I've played Isaac for 66.6 hours in the past two weeks. Maybe I should take a break.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Isaac sighed as he drew his katana...

Yeah, a giant pile of damage ups, loving HOMING knife (which can be a bit goofy, amazingly useful or comically worthless depending on the room) carried me through everything to the point I just shrugged off not knowing my HP in the Dark Room. Everything, even the Lamb, just got pureed. Oh, and Guppy/Mulligan does NOT work with knife. Or rather it works sporadically and incredibly rarely. Meanwhile, Infestation 2 works juuust fine.

Also, if you're not going to Mega Satan, Angel Rooms are a nifty boon as Isaac (or anyone else with the D6 honestly) because you can re-roll the key fragment.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 18, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's feeling kinda boring starting up other characters after playing so much Eve. Between the generally lower offense and lack of that early tension over hp and devil deals it's just not as exciting.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

It's feeling kinda boring starting up other characters after playing so much Eve. Between the generally lower offense and lack of that early tension over hp and devil deals it's just not as exciting.

judas has that poo poo in spades what are you talking about?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AHungryRobot posted:

judas has that poo poo in spades what are you talking about?

That whole needing to progress thing. Samson and Lazarus are my next closest to filling out their unlocks so I'm starting there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Chiming in on the raw power of the mushroom because I picked it up after picking up Eve's Mascara on floor 1 and this was the result :stare:

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

That whole needing to progress thing. Samson and Lazarus are my next closest to filling out their unlocks so I'm starting there.

lazarus is boring yeah but samson is pretty interesting compared to how he was in the original game.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Holy poo poo. Soy Milk + Monstro's Lung + The Parasite + A bunch of damage enhancing items = Shotgun Spread Shot Issac (Well, Magdalene, but whatever). The chargeup is minimal, so I'm literally just spraying poo poo (coal) everywhere.

EDIT: Downside? In one room a Tick spawned under me.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Cool, if you get ipecac, then moms knife you obviously lose the ipecac effect. If you then get sad bombs, the bomb effect reverts to ipecac so you get 8 radial bombs flying out from your original one.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Good god, Bisnap. Skip to around 21:45. Polyphemus + Proptosis + Rubber Cement + Double Shot + Death's Touch.

His Lamb kill is the fastest I've seen so far. I thought I was doing pretty well on a Sacred Heart run earlier but noooope. Not in comparison to that nonsense!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

You might notice that the Mask of Infamy is not in this screenshot and the devil room is here even though it killed me I am dead. It's because the Mask of Infamy died of poison in the same moment that it ran into me when I had half a heart. Am I mad about my nigh 20 streak ruined? Well, no, because it's a video game, but MAN what a terrible loving boss.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

ChibiSoma posted:

Good god, Bisnap. Skip to around 21:45. Polyphemus + Proptosis + Rubber Cement + Double Shot + Death's Touch.

His Lamb kill is the fastest I've seen so far. I thought I was doing pretty well on a Sacred Heart run earlier but noooope. Not in comparison to that nonsense!

http://i.imgur.com/2NlBzDL.gif

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Mom's Knife or Brimstone with your usual jumble of the best damage ups can also one or two-shot isaac/lamb.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Huh, I had no idea there was an achievement for completing the Dark Room without taking damage. I guess that means there's one for the Cathedral/Sheol as well this time around.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
No actually. Dead Boy is the only extra no hit achievement and its for beating either the Dark Room or The Chest. I have no idea how I'm going to manage that since I have terrible luck and run into poo poo like the dual adversary rooms every time. Best way would probably be to just carry an emperor card and skip the level.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Huh, I had no idea there was an achievement for completing the Dark Room without taking damage. I guess that means there's one for the Cathedral/Sheol as well this time around.

Cathedral/Sheol is actually the only set of rooms without a no-damage achievement.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Internet Kraken posted:

No actually. Dead Boy is the only extra no hit achievement and its for beating either the Dark Room or The Chest. I have no idea how I'm going to manage that since I have terrible luck and run into poo poo like the dual adversary rooms every time. Best way would probably be to just carry an emperor card and skip the level.

Alternatively, Blank Card + Ehwaz/Shovel + Battery :v:

Would that still work, just skipping past all the floors for free X-boy achievements? Or do you need to actually engage the boss?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

You might notice that the Mask of Infamy is not in this screenshot and the devil room is here even though it killed me I am dead. It's because the Mask of Infamy died of poison in the same moment that it ran into me when I had half a heart. Am I mad about my nigh 20 streak ruined? Well, no, because it's a video game, but MAN what a terrible loving boss.

Mask of Infamy is up there with Carrion Queen and Scrolex as annoying-as-gently caress bosses, due to how hard it can be do damage them if you don't have poo poo like Brimstone or piercing tears.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Cathedral/Sheol is actually the only set of rooms without a no-damage achievement.

So do the Chest and Dark room have no-damage cheevos as well? Cause that's weird if they do and Cathedral/Sheol do not.

Speaking of, I'm happy to say I've gotten to the point where I can reliably make it to the Chest/Dark Room even on not-OP runs. Maybe someday I'll get to the point where I can reliably do it on Hard....

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Got to Satan for the first time last night with Azazel, who I absolutely love playing as, and loving died to him with a sliver of health left. Also got a Boss Rush room which was a lot of fun! I'm so glad this got released to the PS4.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Genocyber posted:

So do the Chest and Dark room have no-damage cheevos as well? Cause that's weird if they do and Cathedral/Sheol do not.

Chest and Dark Room have one no-damage achievement between them, as in beating either with no-damage unlocks the achievement.

Cathedral and Sheol just don't have one, it doesn't matter if you get hit. It is a little bit weird, yeah.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Demitri Omni posted:

Holy poo poo. Soy Milk + Monstro's Lung + The Parasite + A bunch of damage enhancing items = Shotgun Spread Shot Issac (Well, Magdalene, but whatever). The chargeup is minimal, so I'm literally just spraying poo poo (coal) everywhere.

EDIT: Downside? In one room a Tick spawned under me.

Since Polaroid/negative aren't trinkets anymore all the tick blocks you out of is other trinkets.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
Suicide King is proving to be the most frustrating challenge for me. I am getting further and further each time though, but what a frustrating thing it is. Last night got far as It Lives, just had a run where I got to Isaac and died there. I want to like you My Reflection, especially since it got better in Rebirth, but this is horrid.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

The trick is to have ludovico and brimstone, or something else that nearly instantly clears a room with no effort. That's how I got dead boy accidentally at least.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

senae posted:

The trick is to have ludovico and brimstone, or something else that nearly instantly clears a room with no effort. That's how I got dead boy accidentally at least.

I used the leaf, a passive damage dealer and a lot of patience, did my non cheating the lost run the same way

Davincie fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 18, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Phone posting is hard :downs:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My the Lost runs were powered by Epic Fetus, Holy Mantle and a lot of running the hell away. The Holy Mantle's protection pretty consistently lasted long enough that I could bomb out of a room and pretty much not have to fight anything until the very end since you can't bomb doors in the chest or dark room.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Stopwatch is absolutely ridiculous. I'll be shocked if I ever lose a run where I get that in the shop.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tracula posted:

It varies. Some things like the champ Monstro are nice since they can't jump. By the the easiest one though is the Carrion Queen since she just shits out mini-hearts instead of those goddamn red poops.

Champion Gurdy is the easiest champion. She stays motionless and spawns enemies you're used to dealing with on Caves I instead of shooting. So you stay on her left side and close your eyes while you fire to the right, then clean up the nubs and flies when she's dead.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Nastyman posted:

Alternatively, Blank Card + Ehwaz/Shovel + Battery :v:

Would that still work, just skipping past all the floors for free X-boy achievements? Or do you need to actually engage the boss?

It doesn't, since it triggers after you beat the boss and not after you pass the level.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

They really need to work on the champion bosses, someone was talking about it a few pages back but tons of them are just easier than their regular counterparts. Gurdy's black champion is so easy, all you have to do is stand to the side and shoot at him. You win. The Gurdling champions are easy too, since they don't leave the dumb creep. But there are some good ones, for instance the red Monstro champion. Having more than one smaller Monstro's actually makes the fight fun and engaging.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

Champion Gurdy is the easiest champion. She stays motionless and spawns enemies you're used to dealing with on Caves I instead of shooting. So you stay on her left side and close your eyes while you fire to the right, then clean up the nubs and flies when she's dead.

I find regular Gurdy to be much easier and way, way less tedious. Dodging Gurdy's attacks is really simple and much better than constantly spawning flies.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Leo with lucky rock is hilarious. I'm drowning in cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone have good seeds for unlocking the Lost?