Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

EDIT: I can't find threads for poo poo apparently

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

homeless snail posted:

The PS3 one has some serious pacing issues, and particularly I feel like the combat system is the kind of overly involved bad triace imitation that's really overdone in JRPGs these days. The DS game is a lot quicker in general, and the combat is a really smart update on the classic front/back row FF system with some extra positional stuff.

Also the book is more important to the DS game, and that's rad because the book owns. Even if its just a copy protection thing.

I remember seeing this and I thought the Book thing was an awesome idea and then I got pissed learning that we'd never get it.

And now I'm pissed again.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Canned Panda posted:

I bought that game for $2.99 about a month ago.

Looks like I'm good to go.

EDIT: I have no problem sending this game off to someone else after I make use of it myself... just if you can't fine it easily enough. And you live in the US.

We're going to be best friends in a few days.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Unfortunately, unlike the Wii homebrew channel, this isn't an "install once" thing, you need to keep hold of the cart. I assume someone will make an installable one, but that's not here yet.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
So what kind of functionality do YOU want to see on your homebrewey 3DS?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Just break the loving region lock so I can import DQ7 and SRW UX already.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Actually, I managed to reserve a used copy at a local Gamestop. $5. Go me.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Haha, I checked Amazon (UK) this morning when I first saw the post and Cubic Ninja was £12. Three hours later and it's £51.

I might pop into town on my lunch break and see if I can track a copy down. I'm not even that fussed about homebrew at this point but it'd be nice to have the option in the future.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I own over 40 3DS games -- it had to be one I didn't have and the thing is announced while I'm sleeping. None of the European ebays have the game now under 39€, except one auction in Austria which is growing bigger and bigger by the second. Some Amazon UK seller still had it for £12, though.

Those sellers are pretty happy, AFAIK. Rather doubt Ubisoft will get much out of it since the game seems out of print and unavailable in retail stores.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If this is anything like other console hacks they'll find another game you can use the hack for soon enough if you can't get a hold of this one. Personally I just want emulators on the 3ds but not badly enough to actually spend money on a thing that will be patched out.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If this is anything like other console hacks they'll find another game you can use the hack for soon enough if you can't get a hold of this one. Personally I just want emulators on the 3ds but not badly enough to actually spend money on a thing that will be patched out.

Anything released ever will be patched out.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This is true. But maybe I am just consoling myself because I went to Sears, Target, Best Buy, Gamestop and Wal-Mart last night and none of them had it in stock and I'm just trying to make myself feel better.

But seriously, the first Wii hack required getting off Epona in Twilight Princess causing a buffer overflow. Then the hack got simpler, using Smash Bros. Brawl which was never patched out.

It is kinda unnerving that the hack was found in a game that's bargain bin, unpopular, and is several years old though.

Some people are saying this game is even available in the e-shop? And that the hack works with that? However, you can count on it being patched or Nintendo removing the game, so if it really is on the e-shop (I currently cannot locate my 3DS to verify) it might be a good idea to buy it there.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cubic Ninja is only available digitally on the Japanese eShop.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Policenaut posted:

Just break the loving region lock so I can import DQ7 and SRW UX already.

Aw poo poo, DQ7 would be so worth it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Just check if it's available locally

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/games/cubic-ninja/90784

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Make sure to delete all WiFi connections on your 3DS and/or flip the switch off if you don't want your 3DS auto updating on you. Parental controls no longer stop it from what I'm reading.

E: Also, I'm pretty sure once this is released someone will find a way for piracy/region free (it's the same thing in terms of programming) within a day or two.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Dehry posted:

piracy/region free (it's the same thing in terms of programming)

People keep saying that, but I thought the opposite was proven back when the very first flashcard came out? That supported piracy of games but didn't allow you to run out of region games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope GameStop marks them used and jacks the price up to $100

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

People keep saying that, but I thought the opposite was proven back when the very first flashcard came out? That supported piracy of games but didn't allow you to run out of region games.

The card was Gateway 3DS. They added region free and even broke eShop games to work from the card. Its firmware is about to get an update to run on the same exploitable systems as the SSSPWN exploit.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That's beside the point. The fact that there was a point where it couldn't play out of region games means that piracy and region-free are not the same thing to the 3DS.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

None in stock new within 100 miles of me, and the only way to see if any used ones are in stock are by submitting a request and a Gamestop employee manually checks and then they email me whether they have it or not :stare:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Quick question, since the inception of tying your Nintendo ID to the 3DS, does that mean if I sold my 3DS, the ambassador program and all of my purchases would come with me to my new DS?

I'm just wondering if I'm gonna get out of the portable game for good, because if I do, I can use all of my downloaded titles to up the resale value.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

None in stock new within 100 miles of me, and the only way to see if any used ones are in stock are by submitting a request and a Gamestop employee manually checks and then they email me whether they have it or not :stare:

Mine shows local stores as having some with "low stock" and others as unavailable. I imagine it just runs off whatever is in their database when they get used copies of the game.

Penpal posted:

Quick question, since the inception of tying your Nintendo ID to the 3DS, does that mean if I sold my 3DS, the ambassador program and all of my purchases would come with me to my new DS?

I'm just wondering if I'm gonna get out of the portable game for good, because if I do, I can use all of my downloaded titles to up the resale value.

You can do a system transfer

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

Mine shows local stores as having some with "low stock" and others as unavailable. I imagine it just runs off whatever is in their database when they get used copies of the game.

"Low Stock" means they have like one or two on the shelf. I imagine a lot of Gamestop locations are getting flooded with requests for the game. I picked a couple obscure locations so hopefully I can get a copy. Best Buy is sold out, Walmart and Target both don't have a store listing, and I figure the smaller stores will just have the employees buy up all the copies for their own use.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I remember beating Metroid 2 as a kid. It took months, but I slowly made my way through and got everything. It was incredibly thrilling, discovering all of the nooks and crannies and crazy new items like the jump ball and the space jump. The space jump was notoriously hard to control in that game, but somehow I did it. It took many tries, and I distinctly remember having to duck out of the Metroid Queen fight multiple times in order to heal up. But I did it, goddamn it. I loving did it. And it ruled.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Supposedly My Cooking Coach (another Ubisoft game) was the game used to crack the DSi. I never heard of the DSi needing to be cracked. What did it accomplish?

If there's a way to get Four Sword Adventures onto my DSi consoles I would love to know about it. :allears:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

iirc the DSi was the iteration which introduced a region lock, maybe it was cracked to circumvent that. Although maybe not, considering the number of DSi exclusive titles which were released.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
edit: nevermind

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 18, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Dehry posted:

"Low Stock" means they have like one or two on the shelf. I imagine a lot of Gamestop locations are getting flooded with requests for the game. I picked a couple obscure locations so hopefully I can get a copy. Best Buy is sold out, Walmart and Target both don't have a store listing, and I figure the smaller stores will just have the employees buy up all the copies for their own use.

Yip yip.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 18, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't get the rush, isn't nintendo just going to block this with a firmware update?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Kurtofan posted:

I don't get the rush, isn't nintendo just going to block this with a firmware update?

Yeah, but then people just don't update.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

My guess is they're not going to update their old 3DSes and upgrade to a New 3DS in the spring.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Oh, man. Hmm. This does add an additional layer of fuckery. I have a Gateway 3DS and a normal 3DS that will soon turn into a smea-hack 3DS. I guess I'll have to just, like, buy a new 3DS outright instead of doing some selling to buy one. My original plan was jsut Gateway XL and normal new, but looks like I'll have 3-3DSes.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

From what I have seen, this is something that would have to be patched in game, since you have to load the game and go into the level editor to trigger it. (It doesn't instal anything on the 3DS, you have to do this each time you want to use it).

And the developers folded back in 2011, so they can't really patch the game.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

I own over 40 3DS games -- it had to be one I didn't have and the thing is announced while I'm sleeping. None of the European ebays have the game now under 39€, except one auction in Austria which is growing bigger and bigger by the second. Some Amazon UK seller still had it for £12, though.

Those sellers are pretty happy, AFAIK. Rather doubt Ubisoft will get much out of it since the game seems out of print and unavailable in retail stores.

I found a portuguese shop that still had it for 20€ and I think I bought the last copy of it :D

There's still a reserve button though if you wanna risk it

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why would you even go to all this trouble for lovely homebrew apps?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

greatn posted:

I thought this could do region-free?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

greatn posted:

Just imagine that I have the time to post a thread from 2006 with someone saying this about the Wii.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
I'm going to hold off on all this hype until maybe in the future we see something with more capability; this seems pretty underwhelming.
In hindsight I might as well have bought the Cubic Ninja on Amazon twelve hours ago for $10, but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

greatn posted:

I'm just in it for the emulators.

• Locked thread