Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

Pretty much every DP comic is going to skyrocket now that the film is actually happening. I'm sitting on a complete run of the '97 series plus all the one shots and specials. I expect to be able to sell it for north of $5000 in 12 months or so.

Thought you were talking about Doom Patrol, and wondered what awesome world I had fallen into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StumblyWumbly posted:

Thought you were talking about Doom Patrol, and wondered what awesome world I had fallen into

Oh man, if only.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
A Doom Patrol movie would only fail at being a decent Doom Patrol movie. You'd need to give it to David Lynch or someone like that.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
David Lynch's Doom Patrol sounds loving amazing and you have no idea how much I wish it was real.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

People who collect Deadpool comics are the worst.

On that note, I have a nearly complete run of Cable & Deadpool, does anyone want to buy it for a few hundred quid?

Also, one thing I've observed in the shipping thread is that not many people seem to be reading Black Widow. It's a huge shame because it's one of my favourite books. Did anyone try it and drop it? Have people just not checked it out at all? It's not really discussed much, but honestly it has been really good so far, both Edmonson's writing and Noto's art.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

VanSandman posted:

What are some must-reads from the last 20 years of Marvel? What-Ifs and Out of continuity stuff is great too.

1. Fantastic Four (Hickman)
2. Captain America (Brubaker)
3. New X-Men (Morrison)
4. X-Men Legacy (Spurrier)
5. Daredevil (Waid)
6. Doctor Strange: The Oath (Vaughn)
7. Astonishing X-Men (Whedon)
8. Secret Warriors (Hickman)
9. Hawkeye (Fraction)
10. Ultimates / Ultimates 2 (Millar)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd add Immortal Iron Fist and the Bendis and Brubaker runs on Daredevil to that list.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I read The Death of Captain Marvel today for the first time and it very, very good. ShooterStarlin wrote this after his dad died of cancer right? Some of the dialogue from Rick Jones did seem like ShooterStarlin working through some stuff. The ending was fantastic, with that last epic battle that's kinda required of a super-hero, while still showing the "real" death just creeping in after he fell into a coma, with no real pomp or anything, just a man slipping away surrounded by his friends.

And it's only like 60-something pages!

Vincent fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 17, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Vincent posted:

I read The Death of Captain Marvel today for the first time and it very, very good. Shooter wrote this after his dad died of cancer right? Some of the dialogue from Rick Jones did seem like Shooter working through some stuff. The ending was fantastic, with that last epic battle that's kinda required of a super-hero, while still showing the "real" death just creeping in after he fell into a coma, with no real pomp or anything, just a man slipping away surrounded by his friends.

And it's only like 60-something pages!

You mean Jim Starlin?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Web Jew.0 posted:

1. Fantastic Four (Hickman)
2. Captain America (Brubaker)
3. New X-Men (Morrison)
4. X-Men Legacy (Spurrier)
5. Daredevil (Waid)
6. Doctor Strange: The Oath (Vaughn)
7. Astonishing X-Men (Whedon)
8. Secret Warriors (Hickman)
9. Hawkeye (Fraction)
10. Ultimates / Ultimates 2 (Millar)

Add PAD's X-Factor.

Also, I wish I could recommend Generation X, but Hama's run halfway through really stank up the joint.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean Jim Starlin?

Yeah, you're right.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Warren Ellis' short run on Thunderbolts was pretty great. Hickman's Secret Warriors and his current Avengers run are excellent. Most of the X-Force run that started with Apocalypse Genesis was good, though I remember the Deathlok arc being kind of boring. And a lot of poo poo happening during Dark Reign was good, but it's hard to pick out which bits and pieces. Dark Avengers was really fun but then they ruined it with Siege.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

Warren Ellis' short run on Thunderbolts was pretty great. Hickman's Secret Warriors and his current Avengers run are excellent. Most of the X-Force run that started with Apocalypse Genesis was good, though I remember the Deathlok arc being kind of boring. And a lot of poo poo happening during Dark Reign was good, but it's hard to pick out which bits and pieces. Dark Avengers was really fun but then they ruined it with Siege.
The Deathlok arc was boring and the Otherworld arc was horrible.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider
Charlie Huston's Moon Knight
Ellis/Shalvey's Moon Knight
Mike Carey's X-Men
Posehn/Duggan's Deadpool
Tischman/Kordey's Cable
most of Fabien Nicieza's Cable & Deadpool
Milligan/Allred's X-Statix

edit: Joe Kelly's Deadpool

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 17, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd throw in the current Ms Marvel series. Its been a long time since we've seen a completely new character learning to be a hero.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

I'd throw in the current Ms Marvel series. Its been a long time since we've seen a completely new character learning to be a hero.

From Marvel maybe. DC just had a brilliant Blue Beetle series a few years ago that was just that. (Not the N52 run)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It wasn't that long since Nova #1. Both are really fun books in their own ways.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Please include Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers. Thanks in advance.

Priest's Black Panther too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't include those until Hickman sticks the landing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

TwoPair posted:

I wouldn't include those until Hickman sticks the landing.

He will if FF is indication. Though I'd laugh if he was like "Yeah I had no idea where this was going and...uuhhh...There I winged it at the end."

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

twistedmentat posted:

There's also All New Ghost Rider, but it has half the sales of Ms Marvel. Wouldn't be surprised if they cancel it soon.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

No mention of Gillen's JiM run? Shame.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gatts posted:

He will if FF is indication. Though I'd laugh if he was like "Yeah I had no idea where this was going and...uuhhh...There I winged it at the end."

Brevoort said that Hickman has had the Avengers end game and Secret Wars in the cards while he was still writing FF. So go crazy with your Nathaniel Richards and Kang theories.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Nobody mentioned Fred Van Lente's Taskmaster miniseries.

Everyone should read Fred Van Lente's Taskmaster miniseries.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Gavok posted:

I forgot about it due to reading too many comics.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

irlZaphod posted:

Also, one thing I've observed in the shipping thread is that not many people seem to be reading Black Widow. It's a huge shame because it's one of my favourite books. Did anyone try it and drop it? Have people just not checked it out at all? It's not really discussed much, but honestly it has been really good so far, both Edmonson's writing and Noto's art.

I like it. At any rate, it's set the record for longest Black Widow series, right?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Gavok posted:

Yes, this.
It's hilarious and amazing but also it's the worst because it gave Taskmaster a character trait I dislike a lot!
Also recommending the Journey into Mystery run by Gillen- that's an incredible, incredible classic.
Man, Van Lente sure has a lot of really great fun adventure series.

Other incredible runs folks haven't mentioned yet:
Nextwave by Warren Ellis
Amadeus Cho + The Incredible Hercules by Pak/Van Lente
The Sentry (2000 miniseries) by Jenkins/Lee
Marvel Zombies 3 by Van Lente (trust me on this one!)

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 18, 2014

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I used to collect comics as a kid and recently got into digital comics but I was beyond excited when I poked into a comic shop today and found some variant covers featuring Rocket & Groot. I guess they are taking over this month's Marvel covers? I ended up ordering all of them and all of the ones from July when the Guardians did a similar thing. I love that movie and it feels awesome to have a little collection of cool stuff like that. I'm going to frame them and have them decorate a wall in my office. Easily my favorite movie :)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Daler Mehndi posted:

I forgot about it due to reading too many comics.

But I don't want to forget about the Udon Taskmaster mini. I don't want to. ...
What comic was I talking about?

Oh the Jeff Parker Sentry mini was gonzo and fantastic.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Fereydun posted:

Yes, this.
It's hilarious and amazing but also it's the worst because it gave Taskmaster a character trait I dislike a lot!

Yeah, it was a good book but a dumb retcon. On the plus side I think after a brief showing in Avengers Academy everyone's been assuming his memory's back to normal.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's really just a convenient excuse to have him be a malleable character randomly oscillating between hero and villain depending on which set of videotaped reminders to himself he has most recently watched.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Apropos of nothing, but I'm making my way through my Doom 2099 hardcovers, and John Francis Moore can come back to write Doom anytime he wants--he gets him just as drat well as current writers like Hickman and others who are also just nailing it these days. It is a pleasure to read!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 18, 2014

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Nevvy Z posted:

It's really just a convenient excuse to have him be a malleable character randomly oscillating between hero and villain depending on which set of videotaped reminders to himself he has most recently watched.

I like it better when they give him actual relationships and development, like how he grew to like some of his initiative recruits, make friends with O'Grady and Constrictor, and question if he really wanted to be a part of such high stakes supervillainy. I'd like to see him on more team books like Thunderbolts, or X-Force, but realistically I seem to be one of very few people that like the character enough to care. Though I might be wrong about that, I still need to catch up on Secret Avengers.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

All better.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

So she's "presenting" herself to Spider Man now? Dang thats sexist.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Lookit dat lil' guy peering over the top.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bahahahahaha holy poo poo. best possible outcome

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I thought it wasn't actually coming out? I know my local said they weren't getting it.

Anyway It's either that or the legless Land cover. Whoever wins, the reader loses.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

redbackground posted:

Apropos of nothing, but I'm making my way through my Doom 2099 hardcovers, and John Francis Moore can come back to write Doom anytime he wants--he gets him just as drat well as current writers like Hickman and others who are also just nailing it these days. It is a pleasure to read!

I really like JFM's work, but he seems to have dropped off the map; what'd he decide to go off and do, does anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

I thought it wasn't actually coming out? I know my local said they weren't getting it.

Anyway It's either that or the legless Land cover. Whoever wins, the reader loses.

Marvel told retailers it wasn't coming out. Looks like they changed it from a 1/10 to a 1/50 variant.

• Locked thread