Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

Scaramouche posted:

Bonus bonus points if the wifi hardware is so old it can't support WPA2

What do you mean, my Orinoco Silver card won't work and I need something newer? I want to speak to your supervisor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My director uses "supporting our internal customers" as short hand for "you will do anything that anyone asks of you."

Word.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

So I got a "promotion" yesterday.

To the job I was already doing. For the same pay. With the same job title. With the same responsibilities. Like, nothing has changed. Got a different boss out of the deal, though.

Total lateral move.

It was weird because they announced it publicly and I got all these congrats and stuff. The guys took me out for drinks, but the whole time I couldn't help but wonder if no one really knew I did all this stuff before.

I have a meeting with the new boss on Monday but unless this is a total bait and switch, this promotion is total office politics crap.

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

So I got a "promotion" yesterday.

To the job I was already doing. For the same pay. With the same job title. With the same responsibilities. Like, nothing has changed. Got a different boss out of the deal, though.

Total lateral move.

It was weird because they announced it publicly and I got all these congrats and stuff. The guys took me out for drinks, but the whole time I couldn't help but wonder if no one really knew I did all this stuff before.

I have a meeting with the new boss on Monday but unless this is a total bait and switch, this promotion is total office politics crap.

So what's the plan on this one? Are you going to call them out on it? Because it sounds like the kind of bullshit you shouldn't stand for.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah this is the big topic for Monday. What exactly is the point of this move?

It may honestly be to get me more exposure as a prelude to something bigger. I just single-handedly pulled the entire support organization out of a fire this week, after all.

I have a second interview with one of my dream companies on Tuesday also. If they make an offer I'll probably take it. I'd only refuse if they somehow offered me less than I make now.

So this promotion stuff may be moot. We'll see.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"I can't believe how ungrateful ConfusedUs is - we sorted out that promotion, we went for drinks, and now they just walk out on us? I guess that's what happens when someone isn't properly dedicated to the family we have here at ShitCorp."

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
When you got told this, did you explicitly and firmly ask for a raise? Sometimes just asking makes it magically happen, especially when there's weird office politics involved.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

YanniRotten posted:

poo poo not pissing me off - in the early stages of talking to a company, I successfully refuse to name a salary range, they come back with a range at the bottom of six figures. I make under 50k, and would've been pretty happy with 75k. Also, this is Texas. :toot:

Well, that was a rocky technical interview - I produced a correct O(N) solution without getting sidetracked too badly, but debugging my code seemed to take forever under pressure. I probably only spent ten or fifteen minutes fixing it, but it felt like forever. I guess I'll see if that was sufficient to compete with all of the college kids that they're interviewing currently. I also have an ex-manager at the company who should be able to advocate for me. Really could go either way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We get to meet with the owner of the company about our website. Again. We made a few layout changes and some font size changes, the problem being it doesn't look like our internal ERP system when you look at a list of products, for example. Our website shows more information, so of course it takes up more room. He also doesn't like the look of our site, he likes our internal tool, in all of it's Times New Roman, gray backgrounds, and red hyperlink glory.

He's still raging about the colors. The colors are blue and green. He asked who chose those colors. I pulled out my business card in a very sarcastic manner, pointed at our logo, and said "Well, they are the company colors..."

The worst part is maybe if he mentioned it 6 months ago when we first showed him the site, we would have done something about it. Now we'd have to change everything, so many graphics, etc. He said "Who made it look so feminine!?"

I told the marketing girl, who I have a huge crush on, that I'd would fight with her every step of the way to not have to re-design the loving site. It works, we sold 2 million dollars worth of products on it this year, and I personally think it looks great. She half-jokingly said she would quit her job over it.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Clearly the answer is to run the site through http://www.gizoogle.net/ and send off a few screenshots. (I did this to our Digital Editor, he pooped a little but saw the joke)

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
poo poo not pissing me off: I didn't have to deal with the other side of the building at all much. Just one guy asking me to go over and help him when I could resolve the issue over the phone.

poo poo causing me to panic: I told my boss that I'd have a room completed today and I forgot with like 20 minutes left till I head home. The only issue I have right now is that the ports aren't live, and we don't have an extension cord to run from the wall to the desk so I can put in an power strip. So after facilities and engineering told me they didn't have extension cables, I decided to just run with the only thing I could think of that would work.

I don't think my co-worker is going to miss it.

poo poo pissing me off: They stole my TV because another employee was watching soaps on it.

Edit: fixing mah engrish.

fromoutofnowhere fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 15, 2014

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

So I mentioned earlier how something happened with our SCCM server that reimaged several admin computers and some lab computers at the high school.
Tuesday two weeks ago, after our tech meeting, the boss asks me to come up to her office, where she reveals that our lone remaining network admin is being placed on administrative leave later that day. She won't go into details. Unless he was doing something literally criminal, I can't imagine this decision was anything but a vindictive move by the superintendent. He may have hosed up, but we literally don't have anyone that can replace him. We literally had to use a different former admin's credentials (which weren't disabled!) to get into AD to fix a months-old typo in a user's drive mapping. And we're still on a tech-hiring freeze.

Then the webpage-guy-cum-junior-admin-because-the-last-junior-admin-hasn't-been-replaced's wife has a baby, so he's going to be in and out over the next few weeks. And the boss goes on a long-planned vacation the next week.
Then we have a big windstorm over Veteran's Day and basically every building loses power repeatedly. Come Wednesday, one school is half-down, another is totally down. At one school, the rack in the attic space (whee) had its UPS fail to a "We don't have troubleshooting for that" state. Batteries so swollen I have to beat the UPS on the floor to dislodge them and it murdered the electronics somehow. Webpage guy and I get to figure out how to lift a 1000VA UPS up a 10' vertical ladder.
At the completely dead school, we have no idea what's going on. Upstream fiber converter claims it detects a link, but nothing's being transmitted. Other fiber converters show no link. The consultant we hired in August brought in a network guy to get us up after the outage and we spend all day troubleshooting this thing, and my day ends with both of us suspecting a branch-damaged fiber on a pole. The next morning the school is back up. All I have for the resolution is 'he did a bunch of stuff on both ends'.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Pyroclastic posted:

All I have for the resolution is 'he did a bunch of stuff on both ends'.

More poo poo that pisses you off: we got it from both ends.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Does anyone reading this use Citrix XenMobile for mobile device management, or is there a relevant thread that touches on it? I've been trying to use it both on Android and iOS, and what I've seen presented and used so far is so lovely that I'm starting to consider it a bad joke and a personal insult towards me.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

I would have expected him to go the extra mile on that one. Very disappointed.

If I'm going that extra mile, I need to be reimbursed for mileage...

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Stuff that pisses me off: AT&T's incredibly poo poo phone support.

I had a user go overseas without telling us, rack up a thousand dollars in overage charges, and get his data shut off. All I need to do is add an international plan with a backdate. Can you do this on AT&T's website? Nope! Do you have to call them? Yep! Do they automatically add you to the phone support whitelist when you get an online account? Nope! Do they hang up on you twice? Yep! Do you have to lie about who you are to get support? Yep! Do you have to call literally four numbers to find people capable of just adding a loving backdated international plan to one loving line and re-enable the data? Yes! Does this waste an hour and a half of your time? Absolutely! AT&T: loving quality support.

We have a dedicated rep, who responded to my initial e-mail request by saying he was in training and I should do it through the website. You cocksucker, your stupid lovely website DOES NOT HAVE THAT FUNCTION.

I'm going to send him irritating, piddling requests every loving day for a month, until I've wasted more of his loving time than I wasted trying to get one simple thing done.

Verizon will get this entire process done in less than 10 minutes, AT&T is a total piece of poo poo.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
This is where you tell your rep to either get his rear end out of training and take care of your request, or he forwards you the name, number, and email of whoever is covering for him.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
First, a third-party outsourcer that is building a bunch of apps (FireTV, Roku, etc.) on our service platform requested that we store usernames and passwords in plaintext on our server. I'm still not 100% sure, but I think he's trying to avoid having the user re-enter their password when their auth token (issued by our Login method) expires. Which I still don't get because anything you do in the client app to avoid re-entering the password you could just re-call our Login method and get a new auth token.

So, we politely told him to gently caress off, albeit much more politely than that.

Next, he responds with a request to provide a Login method that returns the password (in plain text) that is submitted when the method is called. WTF I don't even know. Again, there's no way we're storing plaintext passwords and we're not returning plaintext passwords out of our services jfc.

Now we have to come up with a polite way of saying "you're a loving tool" without blowing up the relationship. Honestly, I think it's indicative of problems to come, but so far I am the only one that sees it that way... can't wait til these apps roll out :v:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Rail kits for Sourcefire 7100 series sensors are 800 goddamned dollars a piece? They're 1U and only weigh like 20 pounds.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Stuff that pisses me off: AT&T's incredibly poo poo phone support.

Any time you talk with folks at ATT, ask for their UID. It's a 6 digit alphanumeric string that identifies them in the organization, and they tend to go from lazy to serious in a matter of seconds when you ask for it. Normally it's first + last name initial and a four digit number, which if they have been with ATT long enough is actually the last four of their SSN.

If you ever have a problem, you can call and request a manager and give them the UID on the spot. That way you aren't going "Oh, yeah, Jane hung up on me."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Finster Dexter posted:

Now we have to come up with a polite way of saying "you're a loving tool" without blowing up the relationship. Honestly, I think it's indicative of problems to come, but so far I am the only one that sees it that way... can't wait til these apps roll out :v:

"We will never store nor transmit passwords in plaintext. We use one-way encryption for all our password transactions, as that is the basic minimum standard of password security."

Completely factual, and can be interpreted as just a little bit condescending if the guy knows anything about security (which he does not appear to).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Finster Dexter posted:

First, a third-party outsourcer that is building a bunch of apps (FireTV, Roku, etc.) on our service platform requested that we store usernames and passwords in plaintext on our server. I'm still not 100% sure, but I think he's trying to avoid having the user re-enter their password when their auth token (issued by our Login method) expires. Which I still don't get because anything you do in the client app to avoid re-entering the password you could just re-call our Login method and get a new auth token.

So, we politely told him to gently caress off, albeit much more politely than that.

Next, he responds with a request to provide a Login method that returns the password (in plain text) that is submitted when the method is called. WTF I don't even know. Again, there's no way we're storing plaintext passwords and we're not returning plaintext passwords out of our services jfc.

I hope that when you discover that he's somehow finding a way to store plain text credentials after all that you have a way to fire your client, because that's a better result than getting blocked by amazon.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Volmarias posted:

I hope that when you discover that he's somehow finding a way to store plain text credentials after all that you have a way to fire your client, because that's a better result than getting blocked by amazon.

It sounds like the guy doesn't understand what hashing is and yeah, he's gonna write a shim when he submits passwords to store the successful ones.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone else here work with a bunch of people who make it painfully obvious that they'd rather be at work than at home with their family? I hold a certain amount of disdain for these people, not because I care about their family lives, but because they're the ones who consistently want to start major, time consuming things at the end of the day.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Oh good, our retarded windows admins wiped out everyone's AD profile on our security network without giving us a heads up so I lost all of my PuTTY profiles.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They'll start the restore at around 5pm and then wonder why you don't want to stay to verify that your profile has recovered.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

psydude posted:

Anyone else here work with a bunch of people who make it painfully obvious that they'd rather be at work than at home with their family? I hold a certain amount of disdain for these people, not because I care about their family lives, but because they're the ones who consistently want to start major, time consuming things at the end of the day.
I work with a few people whose self worth is directly tied to how many hours they work. One of these individuals isn't exactly in my chain but is in a position of authority. It is a absolute bastard having to constantly be faced with someone who is working 70 hours a week simply because that's what they think you do. Emails at 8pm "hey Stripe can you x?" - yes, I see your email because it comes to my phone, I look forward to doing that for you in the morning, just go away...

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Actual survey response from my day job.

quote:

Spazz responded to this ticket more quickly than I had hoped/intended. Next time I will try to remember to put a note in the ticket on the urgency. In this case I didn't really expect an answer for 2-3 days; but got one in less than 1 day. Good news for this case; but, there may be other tickets that needed attention more.

:yotj:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Spazz posted:

Yeah you need to create a special queue just for that guy

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
One of my managers refuses to really be a manager and just uses the title as an excuse to take on even more responsibility. He never gave up any of his sysadmin duties when he got promoted. When he was just a sysadmin he was always "overworked" because he insisted on being involved in everything. Now he still insists on getting involved in all the doing, but also all the deciding as well.

It's a wonder nothing gets done.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

psydude posted:

Oh good, our retarded windows admins wiped out everyone's AD profile on our security network without giving us a heads up so I lost all of my PuTTY profiles.

To be fair, I've never understood why PuTTY stores configurations in the registry.

Spazz posted:

"I'm sorry, and will endeavour to merely meet your expectations in the future, rather than exceeding them. While we're on the topic of micromanagement, may I please have a hallway pass to go to the restroom?"

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Spazz posted:

This is loving amazing.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Spazz posted:

This sounds like someone who had a blocker and wanted to get 2-3 days of doing nothing out of it. You have ruined his / her plan by removing that blocker in less than a day.

ocall
Dec 29, 2009
I have been tasked with researching/implementing a print limiting solution. With the size of environment ~1000 students and ~300 or so staff it doesn't seem to really be worth the investment. It just seems crazy to spend a bunch of time and money without being able to quantify how much "print waste" is really costing the college.

I have voiced my objections but it seems this has a hell of lot of support from upper management.

We had print limiting setup a few years ago. In the five years it was running there was not a single request for usage reports for staff or students. All it did was create a huge influx of tickets at the start of the semester.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I work with a few people whose self worth is directly tied to how many hours they work.

My old boss was like this, with the added bonus of judging everyone else by that criteria too.

quote:

One of these individuals isn't exactly in my chain but is in a position of authority. It is a absolute bastard having to constantly be faced with someone who is working 70 hours a week simply because that's what they think you do. Emails at 8pm "hey Stripe can you x?" - yes, I see your email because it comes to my phone, I look forward to doing that for you in the morning, just go away...

I hate that I have to pretend that work is some kind of virtue in and of itself. I can't just say, "Yeah, I was burned out like crazy so I took 6 months off and lived off my savings," without employers thinking I'm going to put forth as little effort as I can possibly get away and that I'm some kind of risk. Nope, doing work is the only goal I have or will ever have!
:shepicide:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I work with a few people whose self worth is directly tied to how many hours they work. One of these individuals isn't exactly in my chain but is in a position of authority. It is a absolute bastard having to constantly be faced with someone who is working 70 hours a week simply because that's what they think you do. Emails at 8pm "hey Stripe can you x?" - yes, I see your email because it comes to my phone, I look forward to doing that for you in the morning, just go away...

There's a special place in hell for people who schedule weekly project status meetings at 3PM on Fridays.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ocall posted:

I have been tasked with researching/implementing a print limiting solution. With the size of environment ~1000 students and ~300 or so staff it doesn't seem to really be worth the investment. It just seems crazy to spend a bunch of time and money without being able to quantify how much "print waste" is really costing the college.

I have voiced my objections but it seems this has a hell of lot of support from upper management.

We had print limiting setup a few years ago. In the five years it was running there was not a single request for usage reports for staff or students. All it did was create a huge influx of tickets at the start of the semester.

Get Papercut, the license for something that size won't be too much money, and it's pretty easy to setup. Won't be too much skin off your teeth, and it can just run in the background forever being useless.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I set my email to sync 6am to 6pm. I give you 12 hours of email, and 8 hours of body heat in the office. If something is on fire then I get texted but it's calming not having BZZ BZZ and the stupid yellow email icon show up on my phone.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

E: ^^^^ That's a really good idea, I'm stealing that.

Che Delilas posted:

My old boss was like this, with the added bonus of judging everyone else by that criteria too.

This is exactly why I got myself a separate private-only cellphone, despite having a company-paid phone with unlimited private usage (I work at a telco/ISP). Work phone gets turned off when I go home.

My previous boss used to send out emails at all hours of the night, expecting an answer before 8 the next morning. I think he was literally working all the time (doing what, I have no idea) and basically never slept, ever.

At one point, I got messages and loving calls at 2 in the morning. Then he went down with stress and got laid off a little while later. Big surprise there.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

HFX posted:

This sounds like someone who had a blocker and wanted to get 2-3 days of doing nothing out of it. You have ruined his / her plan by removing that blocker in less than a day.

Nope, he was just annoyed that I applied a 10-15 minute fix instead of prioritizing other tickets he has open and were assigned to me since I handle 90% of their tickets. This was back in March, and he's no longer with that company.