Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

JayKay posted:

I ended up giving my Dell Venue Pro 8 to my mom to replace her ailing netbook. I had zero issues with it before I switched to my SP1 and she had it for about a week with no problems. Today she calls me to let me know the WiFi has stopped working.

We tried the following:
-Rebooting/Shutting Down
-Disable/Enable in Device Manager
-Uninstall Device
-Rolling back driver

None of the above have worked. In device manager, it's giving a message that Windows is stopping the driver/device (I can't remember the error code).

I had her check the recent updates and nothing was installed recently.

Any suggestions?

Did you reset it before you gave it to her? There was an issue that may still exist where from a reset/new in box tablet if you install windows updates or dell auto installs drivers in a certain order it can break the WiFi driver. It's in this thread somewhere, I don't remember the details. That's all I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I didn't factory reset it since I had deleted the recovery partition awhile back :downs: When I gave it to her, I created her an account, made it an administrator, and then deleted mine from it.

She does have the USB OTG so I might have her try downloading the latest driver and copying it over. Hopefully that will fix it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Nerdrock posted:

For those on the fence about the Dell Venue 8 / 11 pro stylus I can't stop talking poo poo about : you can at least pick one up cheaply for $15 right now :

http://slickdeals.net/f/7379034-dell-active-stylus-for-dell-venue-pro-8-or-11-14-99-free-overnight-shipping-dell-business

poo poo, if anyone wants a stylus, let me know and I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping & handling.

I sold my DV8P a while ago and forgot about the stylus, so it's just been sitting in my pen cup. I believe it's one of the newer revisions, but I can't tell.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

I believe it's one of the newer revisions, but I can't tell.

I believe the pen tips on the newer revisions aren't (supposed to be) removable. I know because I almost lost the tip to my Rev 1 pen and what immediately stood out to me on the Rev 2 pen was that the tip wasn't removable or at least not easily.

While we're on the topic of problems with the Venue 8 Pro, I may be having an issue that is cropping up again. Some months ago, playing videos (online flash and local) on my V8P would be a stuttering affair rendering the videos unwatchable. At first I thought it was a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth issue since I use a Bluetooth headphones to listen and it only affected flash videos at first. I updated the drivers and BIOS and found using wired headphones helped but the problem eventually affected my ability to watch local videos no matter what video player I used. I ended up performing a factory reset which fixed the problem.

However now it seems to be back. A cursory online search didn't bring up any answers or any other cases similar to mine. Plus, my one year warranty is almost up so if this is a hardware issue I'll need to act quick. Or just put up with performing a factory reset every six months or so.

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010
I'm considering to buy the new Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 as a gift to myself for christmas, with the added battery-keyboard. The new Broadwell chip seems to have lower clockspeed on the GT2 GPU, also it only has 4GB of RAM.

I wanna play Diablo 3 occassionally, also maybe some light tool programming in Visual Studio... is the RAM going to limit me too much?

Otherwise this looks perfect, the Lenovo Helix 2 costs more and isn't listed in Europe yet, and the surface pro only has the flimsy keyboard which might not be good enough for gaming.

Seafea
Mar 21, 2003

They say it's not what life throws at you, but how you deal with it.
I thought these were an awful idea, until my friend had me try her Surface Pro 1, and I was instantly hooked.

I'm thinking about getting one, not to really replace a laptop or desktop, but just to use for coding, web browsing, and maybe a little light gaming.

Think I should go for a Dell Venue 8, a refurbished Surface Pro 1/2, or just go all in and get a Surface Pro 3 with a student discount?

I suppose I could test the waters with a refurbished Surface Pro 1, and resell it later if it's not meeting my needs since they seem to only run about 100 more than the Dell Venue.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Best buy seems to be only discounting the SP2 by the current ads. Microcenter is offering 100 off SP3 i5s right now online, anyway.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm also very interested in a Windows tablet after playing with a Toshiba Encore in a Windows store. Very impressed!

That said I think 8" is too small, and 1Gb RAM surely can't be enough? So I'm looking for a cheap ($250ish?) 10" 2Gb RAM tablet. The 2Gb version of the Encore is discontinued by the looks of things. I'm hoping for some sick nasty Black Friday deals. Any recommendations would be welcome!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Seafea posted:

I thought these were an awful idea, until my friend had me try her Surface Pro 1, and I was instantly hooked.

I'm thinking about getting one, not to really replace a laptop or desktop, but just to use for coding, web browsing, and maybe a little light gaming.

Think I should go for a Dell Venue 8, a refurbished Surface Pro 1/2, or just go all in and get a Surface Pro 3 with a student discount?

I suppose I could test the waters with a refurbished Surface Pro 1, and resell it later if it's not meeting my needs since they seem to only run about 100 more than the Dell Venue.

Go with a tablet that at least has a 10 inch screen and some sort of keyboard attachment. I found a 8 inch tablet too small for actual work and the price difference disappears after you have to buy a bunch of accessories (bluetooth keyboard/mouse, tablet stand, miracast receiver if it doesn't have microHDMI out)

Surface Pro 2 or 3, ASUS T100 or T200, Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 with Windows. Any of those would probably work for you.

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm also very interested in a Windows tablet after playing with a Toshiba Encore in a Windows store. Very impressed!

That said I think 8" is too small, and 1Gb RAM surely can't be enough? So I'm looking for a cheap ($250ish?) 10" 2Gb RAM tablet. The 2Gb version of the Encore is discontinued by the looks of things. I'm hoping for some sick nasty Black Friday deals. Any recommendations would be welcome!

There's a version of the T100 for $269 on Amazon. I don't think it's the newest one and there's no Office 2013 included (1 year of Office 365) but maybe it would work for you?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TUZDTIVOJLHAI5S

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 19, 2014

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That T100 looks really good actually! You think the processor will be fine for internet, writing and reading comics? Probably right? I don't see any obvious warning signs and that's a great price! Will it handle Civ 5? (lol)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Go to a US Post Office and get a movers coupon. Included is a 10% off any one item (instore only sometimes). It excludes a few items, but laptops are definitely good with it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Someone has a Surface Pro 2 RT on ad for $199 for Black Friday, a 32GB? Is that still not worth it?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

JayKay posted:

I didn't factory reset it since I had deleted the recovery partition awhile back :downs: When I gave it to her, I created her an account, made it an administrator, and then deleted mine from it.

She does have the USB OTG so I might have her try downloading the latest driver and copying it over. Hopefully that will fix it.

Small update. My mom reinstalled the driver via OTG USB and it works now. Still have no clue why it crapped out. :confused:

Seafea posted:

You had the same idea I did. I really wasn't interested in the Windows Tablets till I picked up a Dell Venue 8 Pro for cheap. The fact I was able to have full windows in such a small form factor blew my mind.

Because of that, I ended up buying a used Surface Pro 1 with Type Cover off of Swappa for under $400 earlier this year and I couldn't be happier. My only gripe is that it's relegated my Lenovo U530 Ultrabook to the shelf.

If you can swing a SP3 get it. If price is a factor, you can easily get a used SP1 for under $400 and a SP2 for a little bit more.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Alan_Shore posted:

That T100 looks really good actually! You think the processor will be fine for internet, writing and reading comics? Probably right? I don't see any obvious warning signs and that's a great price! Will it handle Civ 5? (lol)

It'll definitely handle all of those things, although Civ 5 isn't the smoothest. Certainly playable and it supports touch mode on W8, check out this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bi_0TRTe1k

There's a bunch of people who post videos of different games running on the t100, check them out if you're curious about specific games.

Aside from that, the t100 is more than capable of any general computer task, from internet browsing to watching netflix. It'll definitely handle reading comics, even the crappiest of android tablets can do that these days!

I have a t100 and I love it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

kensei posted:

Someone has a Surface Pro 2 RT on ad for $199 for Black Friday, a 32GB? Is that still not worth it?

No. The Windows Tablet store app situation is no better than it was a year ago and with RT that's your only option.

Yes, it comes with a limited version of Office. So does every iOS and Android tablet now, for free, and ironically those versions are better for touch input.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Is anyone using their tablet for Steam streaming (as the client obviously)? I tried it with my DV8P, but it was a slideshow. Any ways to improve performance other than buying something like a Surface Pro 3?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Ixian posted:

No. The Windows Tablet store app situation is no better than it was a year ago and with RT that's your only option.

Yes, it comes with a limited version of Office. So does every iOS and Android tablet now, for free, and ironically those versions are better for touch input.

It's a full version of Office, but yeah, it's really just good for Office, Web browsing and bad Windows 8 store apps.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Papercut posted:

Is anyone using their tablet for Steam streaming (as the client obviously)? I tried it with my DV8P, but it was a slideshow. Any ways to improve performance other than buying something like a Surface Pro 3?

I haven't had issues with it on my Iconia W4-820, there's a setting somewhere in the streaming settings that shows performance information.
That should tell you if it's a bandwidth issue or if there's something wrong with decoding the video stream.

e:
Settings->In-home streaming->advanced client options->display performance information

PS. Love the cabin fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 19, 2014

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Ixian posted:

Maneki Neko posted:

It's a full version of Office, but yeah, it's really just good for Office, Web browsing and bad Windows 8 store apps.

Fantastically enough, my wife just sent me a text that her store is re-doing their iPad display, so she just scored an iPad for half price - $200. It was going to be for her to browse the internet with, but this will go better with her iPhone. Thanks to both of you!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Papercut posted:

Steam Streaming worked great for me when I had my DV8P. It more leans on the network and host computer.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I haven't had issues with it on my Iconia W4-820, there's a setting somewhere in the streaming settings that shows performance information.
That should tell you if it's a bandwidth issue or if there's something wrong with decoding the video stream.

e:
Settings->In-home streaming->advanced client options->display performance information

Nerdrock posted:

Steam Streaming worked great for me when I had my DV8P. It more leans on the network and host computer.

Hmm maybe it's my router. Thanks for the info, I'll have to try some stuff out.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

KingSlime posted:

It'll definitely handle all of those things, although Civ 5 isn't the smoothest. Certainly playable and it supports touch mode on W8, check out this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bi_0TRTe1k

There's a bunch of people who post videos of different games running on the t100, check them out if you're curious about specific games.

Aside from that, the t100 is more than capable of any general computer task, from internet browsing to watching netflix. It'll definitely handle reading comics, even the crappiest of android tablets can do that these days!

I have a t100 and I love it.

Great, that really helps! Thanks!

In typical Amazon fashion they have a couple of different models that aren't helpfully labelled. So would you say the more expensive model is worth the additional cost?

$269 = ASUS Transformer Book T100TAF-B1-BF 10.1" Detachable 2-in-1 Touchscreen Laptop (Grey), Intel Bay Trail-T Quad Core Z3735F 1.33GHz (Turbo up to 1.83GHz), 2GB DDR3L (1333 MHz) RAM, 32GB Solid State Storage, 802.11ABGN WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, MicroSDXC Reader, MicroHDMI Port, MicroUSB 2.0 Port, USB 2.0 Port on Keyboard Dock, Windows 8.1, Office 365 Personal for 1 Year.

$359 = ASUS T100TAM-C1-GM 10.1 Inch Touchscreen Laptop (Gray), Intel Bay Trail-T Z3775 1.46GHz (Turbo up to 2.39GHz), 2GB DDR3 (1067MHz), 64GB Solid State Storage, 802.11AGN, Bluetooth, 1.2MP Webcam, Windows 8.1

EDIT: Actually, there's so many similar ones! Argh it's a nightmare. I don't mind going to $350ish if I'm really getting more for my money.

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 19, 2014

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Alan_Shore posted:

$359 = ASUS T100TAM-C1-GM 10.1 Inch Touchscreen Laptop (Gray), Intel Bay Trail-T Z3775 1.46GHz (Turbo up to 2.39GHz), 2GB DDR3 (1067MHz), 64GB Solid State Storage, 802.11AGN, Bluetooth, 1.2MP Webcam, Windows 8.1

I think I got this one in red for my dad. It came with Office 2013 (full version)

I'm really surprised with how light it is. The feel of the back is really impressive. The keyboard is okay, but the layout is poo poo.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
What's the word on the Lenovo Yoga Pro 2? My wife's looking for a new laptop for grad school and after looking at a few different laptops at Best Buy, it seems like one of the better ones out there right now.

Seafea
Mar 21, 2003

They say it's not what life throws at you, but how you deal with it.

JayKay posted:

Small update. My mom reinstalled the driver via OTG USB and it works now. Still have no clue why it crapped out. :confused:

You had the same idea I did. I really wasn't interested in the Windows Tablets till I picked up a Dell Venue 8 Pro for cheap. The fact I was able to have full windows in such a small form factor blew my mind.

Because of that, I ended up buying a used Surface Pro 1 with Type Cover off of Swappa for under $400 earlier this year and I couldn't be happier. My only gripe is that it's relegated my Lenovo U530 Ultrabook to the shelf.

If you can swing a SP3 get it. If price is a factor, you can easily get a used SP1 for under $400 and a SP2 for a little bit more.

Hadn't heard of Swappa before. I found a Surface Pro 2 on there for pretty cheap. I think I'm gonna go with that, and if I fall in love with/hate it to the point that I want to spring for a Surface Pro 3/resell it, I should be able to sell it for around the same value, give or take a couple bucks.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Does anyone have recommendations for carrying cases or sleeves for the SP3? I have a type keyboard and want one that fits, which is apparently an issue for some types. The Microsoft Web page is useless for this unfortunately.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Velius posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for carrying cases or sleeves for the SP3? I have a type keyboard and want one that fits, which is apparently an issue for some types. The Microsoft Web page is useless for this unfortunately.

I cannot recommend their products enough.

http://www.sfbags.com/collections/sleeves-cases-for-surface-pro-3/products/outback-sleeve-for-surface-pro-3

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Looks great, thanks!

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I'm thinking about grabbing a microSD card for my SP3. What's the recommended/minimum speed I should get for the card, considering I watch videos (but nothing like 4K)? I see some ultrafast Samsung cards (~90MB/s) but they seem a little overkill.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

ETB posted:

I'm thinking about grabbing a microSD card for my SP3. What's the recommended/minimum speed I should get for the card, considering I watch videos (but nothing like 4K)? I see some ultrafast Samsung cards (~90MB/s) but they seem a little overkill.

Some quick googling came up with this. Based on that, somewhere around 4 megabytes per second should be enough for 1080p with a bit of overhead.

Class 4 cards have a write speed of 4 MB/s and can be used for HD video recording, so that's probably your best bet given that read speeds are generally higher than write speeds.

AlphaOne
Apr 7, 2011

ETB posted:

You can figure out the speed you need by looking at the size of videos you want to watch.

1 MB/s * 60 seconds/minute * 60 minutes/hour * 1 GB/1024 MB = 3.52 GB/hour

So a class 10 or UHS class 1 (both rated for 10 MB/s read and write minimum) will let you read files at least 35 GB/hour. Since blu-rays are 50GB/2 hours, it's a fairly safe bet at a reasonable cost.

Most 1080p encodes I've seen are in the 3-15 GB range for 2 hours, so 2-3 MB/s should work. It's nice to have extra in case a program in the background decides to read a different file while you are watching a movie. The extra speed will make it possible to refill the buffer before you run out and start dropping frames.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone understand windows pen settings? I have a surface pro 3 and want to try some calligraphy but can't find the correct pen setting, I've found this http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro3-surfupdate/stylus-with-foutain-pen-like-inking/213ae294-57c8-45e8-bc78-90c57af59362 but can't locate the setting highlighted!

To be more precise I want the pen to look like a fountain pen not a ball point.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone understand windows pen settings? I have a surface pro 3 and want to try some calligraphy but can't find the correct pen setting, I've found this http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...78-90c57af59362 but can't locate the setting highlighted!

To be more precise I want the pen to look like a fountain pen not a ball point.

It's managed by the program you're using, not windows. The posted example is how the "snipping tool" used to behave, in this case the version included in Windows Vista.

Different pen tips are available in software like Autodesk Sketchbook.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

drat that Muzetto leather bag for the sp3 is gorgeous. :stare:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

poo poo, if anyone wants a stylus, let me know and I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping & handling.

I sold my DV8P a while ago and forgot about the stylus, so it's just been sitting in my pen cup. I believe it's one of the newer revisions, but I can't tell.

If no one has taken you up on this yet, let me know. I'm interested, and Dell Home won't ship to Canada :[

I've been using the hell out of my DV8P lately at work so I'd love to try the stylus on for size.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Considering selling my T100 and picking up a Stream 7. It's cheap, seems to have a good display, and would beat out my T100 for bus usage, which is most of my tablet usage.

Just worried about the 1GB of RAM. Anyone have one of these newer cheap Windows tablets and can comment?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Chrome is doing a new thing where if I touch a link it does this and I can't actually go there.

What's up with this and how can I disable it?

e: Apparently this is A Thing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3457316&pagenumber=58#post438004310

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/Qw5D5n6cJA4%5B1-25-true%5D

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Nov 23, 2014

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Martytoof posted:

If no one has taken you up on this yet, let me know. I'm interested, and Dell Home won't ship to Canada :[

I've been using the hell out of my DV8P lately at work so I'd love to try the stylus on for size.

I'm actually using it right now.

Thanks Maneki!

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Heran Bago posted:

Chrome is doing a new thing where if I touch a link it does this and I can't actually go there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3457316&pagenumber=58#post438004310

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/Qw5D5n6cJA4%5B1-25-true%5D

Looks like it's time to upgrade to Safari, the browser built for OS X. And time to upgrade to no ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Heran Bago posted:

I haven't used my nexus 7 in awhile, but isn't that default chrome behavior for touch?

• Locked thread