Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Depends on the bike but sometimes the boots are just so tight you literally need to use a crowbar. Make sure the hose clamps on them are 100% loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

Day Man posted:

Well, I can't get the loving throttle bodies off. I've disconnected everything and loosened the collars at the bottom, but I cannot pull them out of the rubber sleeves. Any tips? I've been prying at the sleeves with a screwdriver and spraying wd40 in an attempt to loosen it up, but no dice so far.

Irony of ironies, I had the same issue getting the carbs off your CBR. Gentle application of ye old crowbar did the trick.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

You can try heat too. Get a hair blower or, if you can be really careful, a paint removal heat gun.

nitrogen posted:

Any kinds of hearing protection y'all use? (I really don't want to start the whole "hearing protection is good/bad" debate. It's good, and necessary. I already have congenital hearing loss and will protect what I have left.)
http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/laser-lite

I've used them for years. Dirt cheap, very effective, foam but they are very soft and pliable so even small people with small ear canals can use them without discomfort. I keep a few packs next to my bed if I am trying to sleep in and several packs in the bike. I like the corded ones in particular for riding.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

dreggory posted:

Irony of ironies, I had the same issue getting the carbs off your CBR. Gentle application of ye old crowbar did the trick.

Really? I'm sorry, dude, they pulled right off when I did it. Guess I'll go pick up a crowbar tomorrow. Did you get the CBR up and running?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Sometimes it helps if you tip them forward or back instead of trying to pull straight off. If not that then definitely heat. Cold rubber that has been heat cycled a million times is not the most pliable thing out there.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

I will hit it with the wife's hair dryer before trying to pry it off again tomorrow evening.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

Day Man posted:

Really? I'm sorry, dude, they pulled right off when I did it. Guess I'll go pick up a crowbar tomorrow. Did you get the CBR up and running?

Not yet. I stripped the plastics and have been going through the thing head to toe, fixing bits here and there as I find them. Got the carbs all cleaned up, replaced the petcock, and swapped out the HID kit the PO put on with a regular housing. Also epoxied that TPS sensor housing where it was wire-tied together. Hopefully that'll be a bit more durable.

I've been busy with other work the past couple weeks and won't have time to get back at it for a couple more, but it's coming along.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Day Man posted:

I will hit it with the wife's hair dryer before trying to pry it off again tomorrow evening.

DRZ right? Go to youtube brah. Also hair dryer...

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

n8r posted:

DRZ right? Go to youtube brah. Also hair dryer...

SV1000. Got it off, thanks for the advice everyone! Now to clean and reassemble. Dinner first, though!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I have a 2009 royal enfield bullet (fuel injected) with about 7500 miles on it.

As of a couple days ago, I'm having problems with stalls and uneven acceleration.

I can observe the same problem in neutral: when I crank the throttle, there's often a moment of delay / hesitation before it revs up, and if I leave the throttle cranked a bit, it will periodically 'shudder' a bit and feel like it's threatening to stall. Twice I have stalled out trying to accelerate in second gear. Trying to maintain a steady speed in 2nd/3rd (say, 25-35mph), the bike does not stay steady, but instead will sort of thrust forward and then fail for a second.

Obviously it's not safe to ride while it's exhibiting this behavior, and I'm not even confident that I want to try to ride it to the shop; if I can't figure this out on my own, I may need to get it towed over there. I have observed this behavior riding it at low speeds within a mile or so of where I live.

What should I be looking at to diagnose further? From the way it feels it would not surprise me if fuel is not flowing properly.

thanks.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Well the normal things would probably be:

Fuel filter
Air filter
Spark plug(s)

Make sure it's getting fuel, air and spark efficiently.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
As it's injection, check your manual and see if there is an ECU reset/calibrate procedure (it might just be as simple as disconnecting the battery for a few minutes).

You can check for an air leak too. You can check this by spraying a little puff of EZ-start where the throttle body attaches to the motor while the bike is idling. If the revs climb when you squirt it you have a leak. It's probably not this, especially on an injection bike, but it's such an easy check (no tools needed) that it's one of the first things I try.

Coils can go bad and cause poor spark, there will be a spec (resistance across the contacts and so on) which you can test with a multimeter pretty easily.

My bet would be on fuel pump pressure / filter / injector, though.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Dudes,

I got some EL wire to attach to my helmet. I've put it on with Scotch tape at this point, just to see how it works/looks. What would you guys recommend I use to stick it permanently? I was thinking M42's suggestion of using silicone caulk would be good, but maybe someone has stuck something to a helmet and could make a good recommendation.

As an aside, EL wire is fuckin' awesome looking. I'll post a picture if anyone wants to see it.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Lynza posted:

Dudes, I'll post a picture if anyone wants to see it.

I'd like to see it. Though I'm probably not going to end up doing it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

SquadronROE posted:

Spark plug(s)
Yeah, do you still have the original Bosch plug in it? We see those come in with plugs fouled out commonly and replace them with NGKs and usually they never come back.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
In all its Scotch-taped glory!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Lynza posted:

Awesome.

Now draw a penis.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

builds character posted:

Awesome.

Now draw a penis.

If you've forgotten how one of those looks like Lynza, here's an artist's impression:

Hope this helps. :)

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Lynza posted:

Dudes,

I got some EL wire to attach to my helmet. I've put it on with Scotch tape at this point, just to see how it works/looks. What would you guys recommend I use to stick it permanently? I was thinking M42's suggestion of using silicone caulk would be good, but maybe someone has stuck something to a helmet and could make a good recommendation.

As an aside, EL wire is fuckin' awesome looking. I'll post a picture if anyone wants to see it.

Check my post history in this thread for how the kickstarter guys are doing it.

Careful with some glues. The vapours will melt the foam inside the helmet shell and you will never know!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

KARMA! posted:

If you've forgotten how one of those looks like Lynza, here's an artist's impression:

Hope this helps. :)

That's just a dick.

Also, username/post combo. :allears:

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
I have a scrub question about riding in the rain.

Are there any hydrophobic sprays or similar that would keep water from sticking to my visor? Or you just wipe with your gloves or tilt your head for wind to wipe it (not practical in my commute)?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Grimwall posted:

Are there any hydrophobic sprays or similar that would keep water from sticking to my visor? Or you just wipe with your gloves or tilt your head for wind to wipe it (not practical in my commute)?

Rain-X. Apply, let dry 15-60min, buff with lint-free cloth, repeat at least 5x. Both sides of visor.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
There's a couple of products specifically for visors, I've only tried the Nikwax one but it was pretty good I guess. Some people use regular (cheaper) rain-x but it can damage some visors apparently, most notably ones with coatings, thanks to the acetone.

You can get a similar result by carefully washing the visor with warm, very lightly soapy water, degreasing it with lighter fluid and buffing on some thin silicone spray with a microfibre cloth.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Does any of these products help keep a visor from fogging up when its colder out?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Rain-X. Apply, let dry 15-60min, buff with lint-free cloth, repeat at least 5x. Both sides of visor.

Do NOT use Rain-X on motorbike visors unless you're 100% confident they're compatible with it - it even warns specifically on the bottle that it should only be used on glass. On cheap visors it'll eat the UV and anti-scratch coatings on the outside surface, and on decent visors it'll destroy the anti-fog and anti-reflective coating on the inside. In either case it radically reduces the lifespan of the visor and can make fogging and stuff much worse.

They do make a Rain-X specifically for visors but it's not very good - as far as I could tell it's pretty much just mild soap and water.

Just wash the visor well with washing up liquid and as little water as possible (note that cheap washing up liquids normally work better for this than expensive ones) and dry it off without rinsing. It takes a bit of practice to do this right - the idea is you're leaving a very thin film of soap behind on the visor, which is how things like Rain-X work, they're dilutions of surfactants (soap, basically) in a solvent - when the solvent dries it leaves the surfactant behind.

The same trick works (but not as well) on the inside of the visor for keeping it mist-free - you can get all sorts of sprays and stuff from motorbike shops and they all work fairly well, but the best stuff I ever found was some French stuff from a scuba shop that lasted for weeks rather than the days the bike-specific stuff does.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Lynza posted:

I have something similar to that sitting on my coffee table at home, but I can't figure out where I would put the bulky on-off switch. What are you planning on doing with it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nitrogen posted:

Does any of these products help keep a visor from fogging up when its colder out?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Grimwall posted:

In addition to Rain-X, there are generic water repellent sprays which do the job ok. Easier than wax/polish stuff, might not last as long.

nitrogen posted:

http://www.motosolutions.com/fogtech.html

This is what I use. One application lasts three, four rides in heavy fogging conditions, reapplication is quick. Get the bottle, it will last a decade.

Those guys also make a water repellent wax. http://www.motosolutions.com/raincoat.html I'm not so impressed, it lasts about as long as a cheaper spray/sponge thing and is more expensive.

Anyway, riding in the rain when you are warm, dry and have a water beading, non-fogging helmet is an absolute joy.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Yeah, pinlock owns bones.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
I've never checked if RainX was ok for my visor or not, but for both helmets I've had (lovely HJC and GT Air) without applying RainX I would have to clean them almost every other day, after doing a RainX coat they last weeks without needing to be cleaned off. Totally proves rainX is the best!!1!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

No matter what I put on my visor, I have to clean it after like one ride because of all the murdered bugs on it

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
I've heard that furniture-style old school wax is good, but I haven't got any so I've never tried it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

No matter what I put on my visor, I have to clean it after like one ride because of all the murdered bugs on it
Yeah I just get in the habit of doing this after every ride in the summer pretty much.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lynza posted:

I've heard that furniture-style old school wax is good, but I haven't got any so I've never tried it.

Yeah beeswax polish is good but it takes a lot of elbow grease to get it non-smeary. Just normal furniture polish with beeswax is loving brilliant on plastics generally though.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah I just get in the habit of doing this after every ride in the summer pretty much.

Yup. My white helmet would have like 6 new colors on it when I came home.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Grimwall posted:

If you're brave enough to take a hand off the handlebar, try to find gloves with a squeegee on a finger.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

If you're brave enough to take a hand off the handlebar, try to find gloves with a squeegee on a finger.

Trip report, a squeegee thumb feels like you're constantly having to wipe your brow to see, the beading windshield is magic comfort, a lovely feeling of the wind blowing away the beads just by looking left, then right.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

I had this on my first pair of gloves. The benefit was limited because just wiping the rain off with my palm seemed to work just as well. That being said, I've never had textile gloves and I can see them being much less effective for wiping.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I have a squeegee on my textile winter gloves and it sucks and I never use it. I'll wipe my visor with the back of my hand and it's much more effective than the 2 inch squeegee. Imagine a windshield wiper at the end of its life leaving streaks everywhere and combine that with only being able to wipe a third of the visor at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
My winter Dririder 3M gloves have a squeegee but it's pretty loving worthless in anything above the lightest rain.

It's easier just to turn my head or deal with it and have both hands on the bars in the wet.