Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toxxupation posted:

Joel McHale is p great too in "nerd hosts that are excellent"

Go watch NBC's IT Crowd pilot and realize how not-nerdy McHale is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

Hating Felicia Day is the stupidest thing that nerds do. She's like, the least hate-able celebrity I can think of next to like, Keith David or Morgan Freeman or something.

Why do people hate Felicia Day? I mean, she could stand to not pigeonhole herself as the go-to "cute nerd girl" character in everything, but hate her?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

raditts posted:

Why do people hate Felicia Day? I mean, she could stand to not pigeonhole herself as the go-to "cute nerd girl" character in everything, but hate her?

Right now? Because she said that the reaction to gamergate was scary to her as a woman.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

lelandjs posted:

I tend to avoid media hosted by nerds because nerds generally make loving terrible hosts. Turns out that doing poo poo like playing video games or D&D doesn't generally help one's charisma. The only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are Jimmy Fallon, Patton Oswalt, Dan Harmon, and Aisha Tyler. Fallon, Oswalt, and Harmon all use their nerdy awkwardness to their advantage, while Tyler refuses to let her hobbies define her.

Isn't Harmon like a perpetual drama engine? This is after all the guy who attempted a "she goes or I go" ultimatum with Sarah Silverman, on The Sarah Silverman Program.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Right now? Because she said that the reaction to gamergate was scary to her as a woman.

That was a really good piece, and Arthur Chu (from Jeopardy!, see, TV IV related!) wrote a really good response in support of it.

raditts posted:

Isn't Harmon like a perpetual drama engine? This is after all the guy who attempted a "she goes or I go" ultimatum with Sarah Silverman, on The Sarah Silverman Program.

Dan Harmon is what happens when you combine nerdy, depression, neediness, and alcohol. So yes. Those things often go hand in hand, which is why Harmontown is a thing. Harmontown is really fascinating to me, as it both discourages and glorifies his behavior and personality. Actually, Harmontown actually helped me stop drinking, as I realized that if I didn't stop I would basically be him in ten years (except without the whole semi-successful TV writer thing, which is even worse).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 18, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

They may have watched Supernatural.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like Felicia Day but yeah I haaaate her on Supernatural.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've only seen her in Dr. Horrible and Eureka, so I give her the benefit of the doubt that she's a better actress than those roles allowed.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

zoux posted:

I like Felicia Day but yeah I haaaate her on Supernatural.

Oh c'mon. "MONTAGE!"

Also, she, a lesbian, is literally a friend of Dorothy's. That's awesome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

She's just too...."nerd squee" for me to take.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

raditts posted:

He didn't do that

He made the environment of working behind the scenes at that show so actively hostile Silverman pulled "he goes or I go"

He's a real mess of a human being but es no monster, he genuinely regrets the negative choices he has made and is super honest about them at all times, and doesn't shy away from expressing his failures

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Sober posted:

That's cause no one really care about Canadian television, much less French-Canadian or Quebecois television. Then again we are probably also ignoring most European TV that isn't from the UK.

That being said I feel like Canadian prime time series have gotten better as of late. I didn't immediately hate The Listener, Flashpoint was pretty much amazing, Being Erica is my favourite out of what came out recently. Little Mosque was great for what it was doing. I wonder if anyone else has taken a look at Strange Empire - I caught the pilot and liked it but haven't gotten around to continuing yet. Though I'm also sure Book of Negroes might come up in TVIV when it comes out later (also airing on BET) next year I think.

No one cares about Canadian television because for the most part it's poo poo. When the CBC lost all it's money and Baton Broadcasting destroyed it's local affiliates to become CTV, Canadian TV became crap that exists to sell on the syndication market.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Flashpoint was pretty good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Now go post this in BSS.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

The problem with Wil Wheaton, Chris Hardwick, and Felicia Day is that they're untalented. I don't really relate to "nerd culture", but I'd imagine a persona of "Hey nerds, I'm a nerd give me your nerd money!" would be annoying to anyone. Maybe a lazy example, but nerds like, say, Louis CK because he actually has good material. He doesn't have to pander to hide lovely lovely jokes, 50% of which are (wheaton & hardwick) "lol internet".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chris Hardwick is pretty loving talented. It's not as easy to run a show as a host as you think and the fact that he hosts so many shows means he's good at it.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'll admit that he's a charismatic host but he's a bad comedian. His stand up hour was awful, the less he jokes in hosting, the better I like him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fooz posted:

I'll admit that he's a charismatic host but he's a bad comedian. His stand up hour was awful, the less he jokes in hosting, the better I like him.

That's fine but the context we're discussing him and and the thing he's most well known for is hosting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

He's also behind a huge podcast/youtube empire with Nerdist Industries.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Someone said "nerds hate nerds because nerds". Which may be true, but there are also legitimate reason not to be fans of the given examples.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fooz posted:

Someone said "nerds hate nerds because nerds". Which may be true, but there are also legitimate reason not to be fans of the given examples.

I agree.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/neil-cross-idris-elba-adapting-749795

Uh, the gently caress? Cause the remake of Broadchurch was such a huge hit, right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fooz posted:

The problem with Wil Wheaton, Chris Hardwick, and Felicia Day is that they're untalented. I don't really relate to "nerd culture", but I'd imagine a persona of "Hey nerds, I'm a nerd give me your nerd money!" would be annoying to anyone. Maybe a lazy example, but nerds like, say, Louis CK because he actually has good material. He doesn't have to pander to hide lovely lovely jokes, 50% of which are (wheaton & hardwick) "lol internet".

Felicia Day almost singlehandedly wrote The Guild which, at least the first few seasons, I thought were pretty good and charming. Then again, I've never played an MMO and I don't have many nerdy friends so that may have affected my enjoyment of it, somehow. I guess.

She's a good actress when she's not starring in, like, that Dragon Age webseries. I think she's just fine on Supernatural.

Maybe it is me, maybe I am the one who squees.

e: and Wil Wheaton is hilarious as an evil douche on The Guild, but that's the only thing I've seen him in since catching random TNG episodes as a kid

e2: Chris Hardwick is only marginally more funny than Daniel Tosh, I do not like him, no sir

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's actually really easy to host panels.

Probably even easier when you have writers.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zoux posted:

Chris Hardwick is pretty loving talented. It's not as easy to run a show as a host as you think and the fact that he hosts so many shows means he's good at it.

A lot of those shows were cancelled after 1 or 2 seasons, though. I think the only reason he gets tapped to host these shows is because of the "nerd guy" persona he's cultivated from his Nerdist thing (and even his Nerdist show on BBCA was loving excruciating to watch). He seems to be on a streak of failing upward and I feel like the only reason those Talking ________ shows succeeded was because they piggyback on a show that people actually want to watch, and even lovely after-show discussion is probably enough for people that want to listen to other people talk about the show they like.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

thrawn527 posted:

I watched this show because of Elias and the pink ranger. It is indeed pretty good - it's nice to see a show that treats the bad guy as a human being and the act of killing as messed up. It's a change of pace from most tv at least.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

precision posted:

Maybe it is me, maybe I am the one who squees.

Me, too, precision. Me, too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

raditts posted:

A lot of those shows were cancelled after 1 or 2 seasons, though. I think the only reason he gets tapped to host these shows is because of the "nerd guy" persona he's cultivated from his Nerdist thing (and even his Nerdist show on BBCA was loving excruciating to watch). He seems to be on a streak of failing upward and I feel like the only reason those Talking ________ shows succeeded was because they piggyback on a show that people actually want to watch, and even lovely after-show discussion is probably enough for people that want to listen to other people talk about the show they like.

They succeeded because lions gate has an extended dev deal with amc and they also own nerdist industries, which is the studio producing talking whatever

I mean their ratings success cannot be discounted but the reason he's huge with amc is due to the amc/lions gate business relationship

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like look I will agree wholeheartedly that hardwick is an at-best inconsistent host of whatever he's working on, whether its the podcast or his myriad shows, but the one thing hardwick knocked fuckin out of the park was his business acumen

check it: he co-founded a podcast which he then took sole ownership of, spun that out into perhaps the single most successful collection of podcasts on the internet, which he spun out into a legitimate media empire- which he then sold off to one of the biggest media collectives in the country, which he now has a ownership stake in on top of maintaining full creative and at least partial ownership in his media empire on top of being able to spin that internet empire onto tv with like a billion licensing deals, on top of the money he has rolling in for hosting like three different shows simultaneously

this is the same guy who ten years ago was a washed-up alcoholic former comedian whose biggest success was co-hosting a lovely mtv dating show

hate hardwick all you want, and i'm often p cool on him, but his sheer business success is ridiculous and he earned his hosting gigs

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Toxxupation posted:

Like look I will agree wholeheartedly that hardwick is an at-best inconsistent host of whatever he's working on, whether its the podcast or his myriad shows, but the one thing hardwick knocked fuckin out of the park was his business acumen

check it: he co-founded a podcast which he then took sole ownership of, spun that out into perhaps the single most successful collection of podcasts on the internet, which he spun out into a legitimate media empire- which he then sold off to one of the biggest media collectives in the country, which he now has a ownership stake in on top of maintaining full creative and at least partial ownership in his media empire on top of being able to spin that internet empire onto tv with like a billion licensing deals, on top of the money he has rolling in for hosting like three different shows simultaneously

this is the same guy who ten years ago was a washed-up alcoholic former comedian whose biggest success was co-hosting a lovely mtv dating show

hate hardwick all you want, and i'm often p cool on him, but his sheer business success is ridiculous and he earned his hosting gigs

This guy gets it. The amount of material that Hardwick puts out is astonishing, and comedians (and their writers) can't always make every joke land.

Unless they're Louis CK :allears:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Toxxupation posted:

He didn't do that

He made the environment of working behind the scenes at that show so actively hostile Silverman pulled "he goes or I go"

He's a real mess of a human being but es no monster, he genuinely regrets the negative choices he has made and is super honest about them at all times, and doesn't shy away from expressing his failures

He regrets them but he's going to repeat them forever. Harmon's a fuckup of a human being but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy listening to Harmontown or things he writes. I'll never go to Harmontown again though. Seeing that crowd with a hobo Harmon preaching to them was terrible. Funny but terrible.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FOX is also trying to remake/adapt Luther for US TV but without Idris Elba.

The show was good, but Idris is what made it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Unsupervised.

EDIT: Woops, attempting to respond to discussion earlier about shows that noone talks about but turned out to be fun. Cancelled before its time.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

SunshineDanceParty posted:

He regrets them but he's going to repeat them forever. Harmon's a fuckup of a human being but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy listening to Harmontown or things he writes. I'll never go to Harmontown again though. Seeing that crowd with a hobo Harmon preaching to them was terrible. Funny but terrible.

Its kinda put your life in perspective when you see the people who take poo poo seriously up close and personal.

zoux posted:

She said she crossed the street when she saw two gamers walking down the sidewalk, which is either an incredibly funny joke or a sad testament to her intelligence.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 18, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not even a female nerd celebrity (or am I?) and even I would cross the street if I saw two dudes in Call of Duty shirts walking toward me, if only to get downwind of them.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I'd cross the street if I saw two old rear end grandpas in NCIS shirts

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Just using that Letterman font for whatever, I guess.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I admire Hardwick as a hard-worker, a good interviewer, and one of the few tolerable ex-alcoholics on the planet but his solo material is really bad. I listen to a lot of podcasts thanks to my job and a third of any given Nerdist podcast will be him parroting the same handful of rants (I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing his "let funny people do what you're paying them for and be funny!" rant again) or running the same 2 or 3 in-jokes into the ground.

Race Warp
Mar 10, 2005

I swoon over Alex Smith's dreamy eyebrows
Is anyone else watching The Affair on Showtime? Haven't seen a thread for it. I think it's the best drama going right now. McNulty and Ruth Wilson are doing a phenomenal job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Irish Joe posted:

Just using that Letterman font for whatever, I guess.

Corporate synergy!

• Locked thread