Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Is it even worth the cost to go Azure for everything? I don't know what the cost is, but per-minute billing just sounds like the final amount will be astronomical. I recall Amazon doing that with EC2 although I haven't used that in at least a year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It depends what the alternatives are. If you have a boss that doesn't want to give up any space for IT at all then you don't have a huge amount of choice. I'd rather have services in Azure than under someone's desk.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's per hour but they count by the minute, so if you spin up a machine for a minute one day, then spin it up for 35 minutes next ween and 5 the week after that, you only get billed for one hour, instead of 3 hours.

A 1cpu, 1.75gb ram server with 50GB bandwidth comes out to about $60/mo. Compare to a $3000 dell server (cost, taxes, shipping, support, spares, rack mounting, electricity etc) spread out over three years is about $83/mo.

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd rather have services in Azure than under someone's desk.

We used to run an SEO suite of services off of an old headless P4 desktop that lived under a desk plugged in to the wall that just kind of scanned the web through a bunch of proxy IPs. This was back in 2010. For anything more legit/mission critical Azure might be worthwhile until your boss can scrape together the funds for a real server.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

YOU GUYS REMEMBER THAT PATCH LAST WEEK THAT WOULD PREVENT THE MURDER OF YOUR FAMILY AND YOU JUST ****HAD**** TO PATCH OUT OF BAND?

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-warns-of-problems-with-schannel-security-update-7000035835/

incoherent fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 17, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

quote:

To work around this issue, delete the following cipher entries in the registry:
TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256

:stare:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Probably not a big deal to most people unless your app or clients are using GCM ciphers, for what that is worth.

I haven't seen any issues with the patch since applying to a few hundred systems.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

incoherent posted:

YOU GUYS REMEMBER THAT PATCH LAST WEEK THAT WOULD PREVENT THE MURDER OF YOUR FAMILY AND YOU JUST ****HAD**** TO PATCH OUT OF BAND?

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-warns-of-problems-with-schannel-security-update-7000035835/

Oh finally someone at Microsoft got those one-off endpoint errors filling up their event log. In the past they told you to ignore those silly things.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker
Out of band Microsoft patch is hitting today -

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-to-release-windows-security-fix-today-7000035914/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm so excited.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Whew, good thing we still haven't finished patching from the last one!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms14-068 posted:

This security update resolves a privately reported vulnerability in Microsoft Windows Kerberos KDC that could allow an attacker to elevate unprivileged domain user account privileges to those of the domain administrator account. An attacker could use these elevated privileges to compromise any computer in the domain, including domain controllers. An attacker must have valid domain credentials to exploit this vulnerability. The affected component is available remotely to users who have standard user accounts with domain credentials; this is not the case for users with local account credentials only. When this security bulletin was issued, Microsoft was aware of limited, targeted attacks that attempt to exploit this vulnerability.

:laffo: Kill me now.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Holy poo poo :shepface:

BRB, buying some more scotch.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Wow, that is hosed.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

The SChannel update also got reissued to disable the new ciphers that were causing problems. You might want to patch that in while you're at it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

:laffo: Kill me now.

Well to be fair, they did say privilege escalation, just normally that doesn't mean "LOL DOMAIN ADMIN FOR EVERYONE" :(

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

As per this link:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/archive/2014/11/18/additional-information-about-cve-2014-6324.aspx

You only need to patch domain controllers immediately. The rest of the updates are just for completeness and can be patched normally.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol. This one is going to suck.

quote:

Remediation

The only way a domain compromise can be remediated with a high level of certainty is a complete rebuild of the domain. An attacker with administrative privilege on a domain controller can make a nearly unbounded number of changes to the system that can allow the attacker to persist their access long after the update has been installed. Therefore it is critical to install the update immediately.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Holy poo poo I loving hate windows right now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Number19 posted:

As per this link:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/archive/2014/11/18/additional-information-about-cve-2014-6324.aspx

You only need to patch domain controllers immediately. The rest of the updates are just for completeness and can be patched normally.

Seriously though, patch DCs immediately, this is a gross one.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yay. 2 DC's patched, 20 left to go. Jesus this one is nasty

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Suddenly I don't feel so bad about 200 users being on a workgroup at my new place.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Whew. All 5 DCs patched.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I think our DC admin just looked at the KB article and his list of DCs then went to lunch.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's time for the Microsoft theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D5Sa2Yq-2g

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Number19 posted:

As per this link:

What do they mean "significantly more difficult to exploit"? All my DC's are 2012 r2 so do I patch tomorrow evening when we normally do or ASAP? Goddammit Microsoft...

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

One of those "find the answer in your heart, and your SLA" answers.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

hihifellow posted:

What do they mean "significantly more difficult to exploit"? All my DC's are 2012 r2 so do I patch tomorrow evening when we normally do or ASAP? Goddammit Microsoft...

That's a judgement call on your environment. If you're pretty locked down you'd probably be ok. My poo poo is not locked down on the client side at all.

Rebooting a DC though shouldn't be a huge deal though, everything should just find the next one available. We have a couple of small offices where the DC's run DHCP and act as a Print Server, the end users there might see a blip in availability.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Anyone having issues with the rerelease of MS14-066 via WSUS?

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 19, 2014

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

skipdogg posted:

That's a judgement call on your environment. If you're pretty locked down you'd probably be ok. My poo poo is not locked down on the client side at all.

Rebooting a DC though shouldn't be a huge deal though, everything should just find the next one available. We have a couple of small offices where the DC's run DHCP and act as a Print Server, the end users there might see a blip in availability.

Probably just let it go till tomorrow evening. My PDC is the target of choice for everything that needs an LDAP server and even though it would only take 30 seconds to reboot the thing the bosslady would have a nervous breakdown if I did it during production.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I think i'd have a nervous breakdown at the thought of rebuilding a domain.

A 15 year old domain at that.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

CLAM DOWN posted:

Anyone having issues with the rerelease of MS14-066 via WSUS?

Yes. It's not in my list. I'm rerunning a sync now to see if it gets picked up.

I have a DC that is also a file server for 40 people. Kill me now.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is it true that every workstation on a domain must be rebooted with-in 90 days if all dcs are rebooted?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tab8715 posted:

Is it true that every workstation on a domain must be rebooted with-in 90 days if all dcs are rebooted?

I've never noticed that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Why are you not rebooting your workstations at least once a month for Windows Updates anyways?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Has anyone successfully setup SCCM with Bitlocker on a task sequence? From my understanding so far, you need to add a script which configures the BIOS? correct? Just wondering if this hassle is worth it for 40 users. Also, I assume there won't be an issue with TPM if I don't set a bios password correct?

incoherent posted:

I think i'd have a nervous breakdown at the thought of rebuilding a domain.

A 15 year old domain at that.

Rebuilding is probably easier then migrating.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

hihifellow posted:

This is the kind of patch I don't gently caress around with. I'm not in the business of rebuilding domains, partner.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We patched all our client domains last night.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

lol internet. posted:

Has anyone successfully setup SCCM with Bitlocker on a task sequence? From my understanding so far, you need to add a script which configures the BIOS? correct? Just wondering if this hassle is worth it for 40 users. Also, I assume there won't be an issue with TPM if I don't set a bios password correct?

Does your licensing give you MDOP? If it does, deploy MBAM, it makes it much easier to manage stuff even though it can be a bit tricky to deploy sometimes. Also, yes you need to activate the TPM module in the BIOS. I don't understand your last question though.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

orange sky posted:

Does your licensing give you MDOP? If it does, deploy MBAM, it makes it much easier to manage stuff even though it can be a bit tricky to deploy sometimes. Also, yes you need to activate the TPM module in the BIOS. I don't understand your last question though.

No MDOP so I probably will just enable it manually after OS builds. In regards to the last question, I don't have a full understanding how TPM works but I was just wondering if the user has access to the BIOS (No password,) do they have access to the encryption keys or anything in any sort of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone noticing any weird behavior on the client side after patching their DCs with the OMG CHINESE HACKERZ patch from yesterday?

Our users who actually listened to the notice and logged out had to manually reauth today with both on-prem Exchange & Lync, but anyone who was lazy just kept on truckin.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 19, 2014