Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Chemmy posted:

Did you sear afterwards? What temperature did you cook to?

I used my torch to sear them once they came out of the bags, and I cooked them at 144. I dunno, just seemed like the fat didn't melt like it should have and there were large chunks in the meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Bah. I think my Anova is already dead. The weird impossibly-high-fluctuating-temp problem didn't recur but now it will run for about 30 seconds and then start the low-water alarm. Have emailed support, but reports are they take forever. Oh well, it was a fun three weeks and I look forward to starting again if they have fix instructions or replace it.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Wedge Regret
Sous vide supreme is a loving tank... A slow somewhat inaccurate tank but that thing will probably outlast me.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Mikey Purp posted:

I used my torch to sear them once they came out of the bags, and I cooked them at 144. I dunno, just seemed like the fat didn't melt like it should have and there were large chunks in the meat.

The fat isn't really going to render at those temps (at 144 it gets pretty soft but not quite rendered out). A good searing helps. I haven't really done short ribs since my first couple attempts for the same reason though, but I've been meaning to try again.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 18, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Catboy's right in that even the good bags leak. The water gets gross pretty fast for the multi-day cooks.

Choadmaster posted:

The fat isn't really going to render at those temps (at 144 it gets pretty soft but not quite rendered out). A good searing helps. I haven't really done short ribs since my first couple attempts for the same reason though, but I've been meaning to try again.
Do beef cheeks instead!!!!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Whiteycar posted:

Sous vide supreme is a loving tank... A slow somewhat inaccurate tank but that thing will probably outlast me.

I would really prefer an immersion circulator in terms of using up a ton of space in my kitchen, but I've had my sous-vide supreme for like 5 years now and it's still running strong, even if it's a giant pain in the rear end to get out and use sometimes compared to a clip-on circulator.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

No Wave posted:

Catboy's right in that even the good bags leak. The water gets gross pretty fast for the multi-day cooks.

I've never had a bag leak but it's pretty normal for the smell of the beef to permeate through the bag into the water and my kitchen.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

I've never had a bag leak but it's pretty normal for the smell of the beef to permeate through the bag into the water and my kitchen.
I think that's what he meant by leak. Maybe a better word is leech?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I don't even know that it's either because since I washed the outside of my bags I have not experienced any beefy smells on my latest 72 hour cook. The only thing I've noticed is hard water stains from the evaporating water line.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

No Wave posted:

Why can't I find these :( I recently moved away from good-ethnic-markets and now the ones near me just sell the same stuff as chain-grocers but with a 70% chance of being past the expiry date. :smith:

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I don't even know that it's either because since I washed the outside of my bags I have not experienced any beefy smells on my latest 72 hour cook. The only thing I've noticed is hard water stains from the evaporating water line.

The only thing I've had permeate through the bag is smoke; when I smoke brisket or shoulder I'll finish it sous vide and the water smells like smoke and turns brown

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I've only been able to find beef cheeks at a special gourmet foods shop in Boston, and honestly they were kinda... pungent. Not rotten pungent but they had this really strong meaty smell and they didn't turn out very well when I cooked them.

Pork cheeks fared much better but it was my first time and they were tougher than I wanted.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Test Pattern posted:

Bah. I think my Anova is already dead. The weird impossibly-high-fluctuating-temp problem didn't recur but now it will run for about 30 seconds and then start the low-water alarm. Have emailed support, but reports are they take forever. Oh well, it was a fun three weeks and I look forward to starting again if they have fix instructions or replace it.

I think I found out why Nomikus took an extra year and a half to ship -- they work.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Safety Dance posted:

I think I found out why Nomikus took an extra year and a half to ship -- they work.

Eh, you make it sound like Anova is a new player in all this. The amount of issues is kind of embarrassing but you also have to put in perspective the sheer amount of units they have been shipping out, there are bound to be issues. And nomikus didn't all ship out without issues either.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

No Wave posted:

I've never had a problem with bags leaking on short (under 6 hour) cooks, but I'm 0-for-2 on multi-day attempts. Each time I checked the morning after I started, and the top of the bag was no longer completely sealed.

I think the motion of the water from the Sansaire's circulator is slowly working them open over time, as both times I was very careful to make sure they were sealed up well. These were the nice, thick Ziploc brand freezer bags.

I guess I'll get one of those fancy Foodsavers from Costco before I try Thanksgiving dinner (we're doing duck breast this year because gently caress tradition).

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

First experiment with the Anova - Korean short ribs with kimchee and scallion pancakes.

I really didn't know what I was doing, so I just dumped some short ribs in a gallon-size Ziploc freezer bag with some Korean BBQ marinade. Cooking vessel was a large stockpot, clipped Anova to the side and covered the top with tinfoil. No leakage during cooking, although the tinfoil turned a weird brown color on the bottom.

Gave a quick sear at very high heat and they were delicious. So tender that almost all the bones fell out when I took it out of the pan. Absorbed the marinade well, the fat rendered a lot better than it looked like it was going to when it came out of the bag, and I have no obvious foodborne illnesses at this time. A+ would vizzle again.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
My family is very impressed with my fancy puddle machine so I've been tasked to handle the meat for Thanksgiving this year. Thing is, no one wants turkey. So, any suggestions for meat, time and temps for something that could stand in for a thanksgiving turkey? I'm thinking rib roast, tenderloin, pork shoulder, or something along those lines.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

My family is very impressed with my fancy puddle machine so I've been tasked to handle the meat for Thanksgiving this year. Thing is, no one wants turkey. So, any suggestions for meat, time and temps for something that could stand in for a thanksgiving turkey? I'm thinking rib roast, tenderloin, pork shoulder, or something along those lines.

No one wants turkey because traditionally cooked turkey sucks. Sous vide turkey is a revelation. Cook a breast for 3 hours or so at 146 and amaze them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mikey Purp posted:

pork belly porchetta:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/12/the-food-lab-deep-fried-sous-vide-36-hour-all-belly-porchetta.html

turkey breast porchetta:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/11/sous-vide-deep-fried-turkey-porchetta-recipe.html

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No one wants turkey because traditionally cooked turkey sucks. Sous vide turkey is a revelation. Cook a breast for 3 hours or so at 146 and amaze them.

Great turkey is so drat easy to make, though. Brine it overnight, pat dry, rub herb butter under the skin, and roast until the breast reads 155F. Pull and tent for like 20 min for carryover to do its work.

Turkey only usually sucks because people overcook the poo poo out of it, primarily due to cooking it full of stuffing (cook that poo poo separately, yo), using some idiotic time-per-pound metric, or not accounting for carryover internal temperature increases.

Done this the last three years and it's resulted in the moistest, most flavorful turkey ever. I can only imagine how fantastic vizzled turkey breast would be, but you do lose that crispy skin goodness.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

WhiteHowler posted:

I've never had a problem with bags leaking on short (under 6 hour) cooks, but I'm 0-for-2 on multi-day attempts. Each time I checked the morning after I started, and the top of the bag was no longer completely sealed.

I think the motion of the water from the Sansaire's circulator is slowly working them open over time, as both times I was very careful to make sure they were sealed up well. These were the nice, thick Ziploc brand freezer bags.
Clip your bags to the side of the cooking vessel like they do I this video:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/anova/anova-precision-cooker-cook-sous-vide-with-your-ip

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

I guess I'll get one of those fancy Foodsavers from Costco before I try Thanksgiving dinner (we're doing duck breast this year because gently caress tradition).
I've done multi-day cooks in Foodsavers and it worked out - I'd recommend double-bagging, though. Ziplocs I wouldn't recommend it but Steve Yun's advice is pretty neat.

ShadowCatboy posted:

I've only been able to find beef cheeks at a special gourmet foods shop in Boston, and honestly they were kinda... pungent. Not rotten pungent but they had this really strong meaty smell and they didn't turn out very well when I cooked them.

Pork cheeks fared much better but it was my first time and they were tougher than I wanted.
If you're talking about Savenor's, that's where I get my beef cheeks and they've always been a huge hit, even with people who aren't super into food. Did you get them trimmed?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Schpyder posted:

Done this the last three years and it's resulted in the moistest, most flavorful turkey ever. I can only imagine how fantastic vizzled turkey breast would be, but you do lose that crispy skin goodness.

That's why you do this with the skin. :getin: :getin: :getin:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

That's why you do this with the skin. :getin: :getin: :getin:

I find it shrinks up too much that way. So I got medieval on it.

Cut into triangles for serving

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

/dad eats all of it, pretends that he doesn't understand why you're mad

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What a coincidence, I have a bunch of chicken skin left over from making a pot of chicken soup, maybe I'll try both of these methods.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

No Wave posted:

If you're talking about Savenor's, that's where I get my beef cheeks and they've always been a huge hit, even with people who aren't super into food. Did you get them trimmed?

Savenor's! Yes! And no, they came frozen and I don't think they were trimmed. They were just irregularly shaped rather than those voluptuous bulbs you see on GIS.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Clip your bags to the side of the cooking vessel like they do I this video:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/anova/anova-precision-cooker-cook-sous-vide-with-your-ip

Seconding this. Go to Office Depot or any other office supply place or Amazon and buy a box of big binder clips. They are handy in the kitchen for a huge number of things besides this.

For multi-day cooks, or cooking things that have a tendency to float (infusing butter with coffee beans, for example), I vacuum bag the food with the Foodsaver, then put a heavy butter knife or two in a ziplock bag, add the vacuum bag to the ziplock, push out the air, then clip that to the side of my container. It's worked great for me so far.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Tell me of your cooking time and temperature, Usul.

edit: nevermind, I'll just use the ones from the SE article

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 20, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
One of my favorite things about the Searzall is seeing little whisps of oil droplets launch out of the meat and then fall back down, like tiny star shells on a battlefield made of pork chop.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Mikey Purp posted:

You will get a much better sear with a cast iron pan and some EVOO and or ghee. You can trim more of the fat before you cook so that it is mostly off if you are going to cook it under 160F and you don't want it chewy. They are also excellent done like a more traditional braise if that is your preference at ~175F for ~9 hrs, the fat will just melt like you expect.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So the searzall-how much smoke does it create? I'm considering one for fish and chicken because I think it would work better than a cast iron, but if it smoked out my house then gently caress that.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

nwin posted:

So the searzall-how much smoke does it create? I'm considering one for fish and chicken because I think it would work better than a cast iron, but if it smoked out my house then gently caress that.

More than your average searing, not much more than a truly crazy hot cast iron pan. The difference is that as bits of fat go flying up into the air, they hit the red hot searzall and smoke up more than just really hot pan.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

nwin posted:

Torching in general is not something you want to do indoors. It sets off every smoke alarm in my house when I try it. Better to jump out on a balcony or patio and do it quickly there.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Having made some chicken skin pulled taut by binder clips and some sandwiched flat between baking sheets... Eh, I could go either way with them. When it's taut its thin and crispy like lays potato chips, and when they're just roasting free it's thicker and crunchier like ruffles potato chips. However, I think the baking sheet sandwich thing is garbage because it stays soggy and takes longer to cook, so whether you tie them taut or leave then loose, use a cooling rack.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What temp did you do it at? Did the paint in the binder clips seems to smoke or off-gas?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
400f for 45 mins for the open air batch. The sandwiched batch was soggy after 45 mins and took another 30 mins of open roasting to get crunchy.

I think the binder clips are enameled and not painted? No smoking issues

Anyways I wouldn't recommend using binder clips because I just discovered that they're a bitch to clean afterwards.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 21, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm still trying to find a good way to stretch the skin. My method of lacing it is a pain in the rear end and some of them tend to tear out as the skin tries to shrink. Someone needs to make an infomerical product for doing this because there has got to be a better way.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hmmmmm maybe binder clips with parchment paper mittens to keep them clean? But maybe they'd slip.

Two of the binder clips slipped, the ones on the sides, so while the skin was stretched well lengthwise, it wasn't stretched wide. But those were smaller binder clips, and the ones that held were larger. Maybe if I used larger binder clips on all of them they would hold? Who knows.

I remember when Heston did his duck skin he crotcheted the entire perimeter and not just the corners

edit: and even then it tore away in one corner

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Could go all medieval on it and use four steel flat bars (or angles), two on each of the longer sides and clamp/screw them together, pulling force provided somehow (maybe threaded rod if you want to continue the medievalness?).