Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

BobHoward posted:

Part of how it happened was that Apple shipped an init daemon that meant users wouldn't end up with mysteriously broken systems because of a race condition at startup.

:iceburn: :vince:

Captain Foo posted:

Matt Garrett owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

oval office AND PASTE posted:

someone please go take a good hard look at gedit 3.14. it's not perfect (plugins lol) but it gets some things really right

• opens up looking like a reduced notepad.exe
  • there's no File|Edit|View menus with 10 things each to click on/scare grandmas
  • all the extra functionality is exposed in the prefs window

you probably just went from the world's sparsest notepad clone to a needs-meeting sublime text-level editor. syntax coloring and themes, line numbering, code collapsing, autocompletion, documenation reference, integrated interpreter..
sounds like emacs when properly configured (ie the terrible menu bar disabled), except emacs doesn't bother trying not to scare grandma because it knows grandma will never use desktop linux

can gedit open files with nul bytes in them yet?

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib
the usual systemd supporter response of "submit bug reports, it's open source, etc etc" is bogus.

systemd developers and supporters are trying (and unfortunately mostly succeeding) to make systemd an unavoidable dependency of running a linux system, through for example encouraging the practice of daemons talking to systemd directly via proprietary systemd interfaces (therefore making them unportable). this is absolutely unacceptable.

the whole argument is about not having to use systemd (or dbus. or glibc.) at all, in any form.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

if you can't adapt to new workflows, you are not a power user, you are inflexible and broken and no screaming of :siren: "but my workflow" :siren: will change that

notorious_bsd.txt

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

k-zed posted:

systemd developers and supporters are trying (and unfortunately mostly succeeding) to make systemd an unavoidable dependency of running a linux system, through for example encouraging the practice of daemons talking to systemd directly via proprietary systemd interfaces (therefore making them unportable). this is absolutely unacceptable.

it's foss, anyone writing their own init daemon could duplicate them

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

someone please go take a good hard look at gedit 3.14. it's not perfect (plugins lol) but it gets some things really right

• opens up looking like a reduced notepad.exe
  • there's no File|Edit|View menus with 10 things each to click on/scare grandmas
  • all the extra functionality is exposed in the prefs window

you probably just went from the world's sparsest notepad clone to a needs-meeting sublime text-level editor. syntax coloring and themes, line numbering, code collapsing, autocompletion, documenation reference, integrated interpreter..

so it is totally possible to design desktop apps that look incredibly simple and non-threatening, but still have really great and deep feature sets that you reveal only when someone actually goes looking for it. and its not even that clever about it.

my gedit is only 3.10 but it still chokes on large files that vim handles fine

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

my gedit is only 3.10 but it still chokes on large files that vim handles fine

why are you opening large files in an editor

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

to search through them in a quicker and easier way than a bunch of greps

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

k-zed posted:

the usual systemd supporter response of "submit bug reports, it's open source, etc etc" is bogus.

the whole argument is about not having to use systemd (or dbus. or glibc.) at all, in any form.

amazing how the people impotently whining about systemd consistently lack the wherewithal to make their own alternate, or fork, or even patchset that fixes their perceived problem and would rather focus on being boilerplate-laden shell script warriors in comment threads and mailing lists in hopes of forcing someone else to do their work for them

its almost as if the people with any background on the matter already agree that systemd is good

also source your quotes

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 18, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

k-zed posted:

Here are a list of the "proprietary interfaces", their specifications, and whether another project can reimplement them: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/InterfacePortabilityAndStabilityChart/

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Progressive JPEG posted:

its almost as if the people with any background on the matter already agree that systemd is good

also source your quotes

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Soricidus posted:

sounds like emacs when properly configured (ie the terrible menu bar disabled), except emacs doesn't bother trying not to scare grandma because it knows grandma will never use desktop linux

grandma will never accidentally sstumble across emacs so no its not really the same thing at all

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
are the beards actually agitating for a "forced breakup" of systemd? like, they're literally trying to apply antitrust discourse to a free project? lmao

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
jeff k lookin kinda rough these days

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

grandma will never accidentally sstumble across emacs so no its not really the same thing at all

grandma will never accidentally stumble across gnome 3 either.

unless you've got a windows/mac app in the wings.

e: actually iOS app because lol at making ur poor ol' granny use any of that poo poo.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

mine wont stumble across either.

because she's dead.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
wow, great post, its like you really tried to relate what i said without taking it completely literally

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my grandmas are both dead as well. oval office and paste u are SUPER insensitive to think everyone has a grandma to give desktop linux to

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

jeff k lookin kinda rough these days

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

eschaton posted:

it's like launchd but not as good because it doesn't have Mach underneath

idk what launchd is but I do know that mach is bad

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
even if gnome 3 were the most intuitive beginner-friendly just-works os that will ever be created in all of human history, it would still be the wrong choice for grandma

because the most important thing, for a non-technical user who is not interested in learning to computer and just wants to keep an address list and see photos of the great-grandkids, is for it to be easy to find someone to help you with it

the right os for grandma is windows, unless she lives within easy reach of an apple store in which case os x becomes an option.

grandma is irrelevant to linux. the only market for linux is nerds, programmers and sysadmins.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
grandma logging onto ubuntu forums to ask for help configuring her text editor

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
asking grandma to edit fstab to get a 2nd hard drive to work

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Soricidus posted:

at least it's not emacs --somebody, unironically, this thread

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

computers don't come with two hard drives

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Soricidus posted:

because it's also her email client

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
me: hey grandma how's the computer
grandma: I seem to have a race condition in my sysvinit scripts, can you fix that please

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
grandma always has race conditions

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Phoenixan posted:

grandma always has race conditions

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

carry on then posted:

because it's also her email client

You have a weird granny.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
c ssl tinkering s: i think i got this poo poo as good as it's going to get w/o saying 'gently caress you' to half the internet

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=sniep.net

i guess i could set up OCSP stapling.. meh

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
http://wingolog.org/archives/2014/10/17/ffs-ssl

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

so let me get this straight

that dude wrote a huge rear end long tldr article whining about 'how hard' ssl is beacuse he... doesn't know poo poo about ssl or how to configure it?

i should write an article like that about how hard it is to make LSD because i dont know poo poo about chemistry

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shaggar posted:

idk what launchd is but I do know that mach is bad

no, see, you're wrong, Mach is good

ask Microsoft's Rick Rashid

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
install linux for your grandma.

when she asks for help, call her a loving noob and tell her to search it up herself because it's been asked a thousand times before

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the problem with ssl is it tries to be all things to all people and generally has way too many knobs on it (much like your mother etc etc)

something that important should be a lot easier to lock down by virtue of not supporting a whole bunch of bogus configurations

also CAs are a loving racket but you knew that already

if you require somebody to be competent and give a gently caress while setting things up to be secure then guess what, 99% of the internet is going to be insecure because the people whose job it is to secure poo poo are, more often than not, doing the absolute minimum possible amount of work they can to not get fired (or "managed out", whatever)

supposedly NaCL is the new hotness crypto-wise, but that's a library for replacing PGP, not SSL, and anyway it uses a totally hardcoded ciphersuite that also happens to be brand new and sorely lacking much of a proven track record so once somebody discovers an attack for it ur hosed

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

pseudorandom name posted:

computers don't come with two hard drives

actually mine did.

sorry you bought a poor person computer that didnt come with raid ssds

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my imac (running apple macintosh operating system 10.10 yosemite) came with two hard drives

pram
Jun 10, 2001
and in fact they are in an advanced configuration via apples lvm implementation Core Storage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

too bad it still uses an obsolete file system