Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
I am trying to turn on a feature that I lost when I factory wiped my phone. I want next word prediction on my keyboard. So if I type "what's" and hit the suggested "what's" above my keyboard, I should see a list of possible next words like "up" "going" "the" etc. But instead it gives me a list of different punctuations every time. My keyboard is the stock Sony Xperia and my android is 4.1. Any ideas how to turn this on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

I am trying to turn on a feature that I lost when I factory wiped my phone. I want next word prediction on my keyboard. So if I type "what's" and hit the suggested "what's" above my keyboard, I should see a list of possible next words like "up" "going" "the" etc. But instead it gives me a list of different punctuations every time. My keyboard is the stock Sony Xperia and my android is 4.1. Any ideas how to turn this on?

If you can't enable the stock Google keyboard, then you'll need a predictive keyboard, like Swiftkey.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can install Google Keyboard from Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I guess the real Nokia is back in mobile business - here's a launcher they just released:

https://www.zlauncher.com/index.html
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nokia.z

Looks nifty, but I can't install it due to region restrictions.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
Thanks for that. I'm glad to know about SwiftKey now.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grim Up North posted:

Looks nifty, but I can't install it due to region restrictions.
APK Mirror has it if you don't want to wait.
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/nokia-apps-llc/z-launcher/z-launcher-1-0-0-beta-apk/

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

ThermoPhysical posted:

Snapchat now allows you to send money using Square and your CC info.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...d-dance-number/

From the comments, it looks like most people expect this to only benefit people who share nudes on the app.

I've been using the Square Cash thing that I assume this is based on and it is amazingly good. Easiest way to send money around I've found. No fees and money is put right in your bank account.

Crossbar fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 18, 2014

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Thanks.

Nice idea, but a bit laggy (or maybe it's the animations), and the loss of widgets and blandness (or minimalism) is a bit too much for me. I'll try it for a day or so.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I guess they only have a limited number of spots available for the Z Launcher. It won't work for me because of "failed activation" and it said they'll let me know when they have more activations available.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Are there any good daydream apps? I was wondering if there was one that looked like a lockscreen so I could see the time but also see of I have any notifications. Right now I have Dashclock but it doesn't show all the notifications.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Get up to $100 from Google if you invite up to 20 people to use Google Wallet, all you have to do is send them at least $0.01 and both of you will receive $5 as well as the amount you sent.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/18/free-money-google-will-give-every-new-user-send-money-google-wallet-5-limited-time/

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Almost nobody will care, but WhatsApp has been updated to use the same protocol as textsecure by default. This means that the message stays encrypted and cannot be read by anyone in between, including WhatsApp. Currently it is only enabled on android and doesn't support group or media messages, but those features are coming.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Recently my phone seems to have been burning up when it's not being used. I figure it's a rogue app that's responsible but the only clue I can find is that Beautiful Widgets used about 17% of the battery today, whihc seems a little high. So:

* Any clues on tracking this down?
* Any experience with BW acting up?

PS: phone seems to be cool now, which is strange.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
You clearly tracked down the problem app. How often do you have it checking for updates?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Let's talk Camera apps. I'm on an LG G3, and the stock app is decent. But I miss being able to manually set the focal point, and/or the exposure. I used to use Camera+, Laminar Pro and Camera Awesome (on an iPhone) - Camera Awesome is 'incompatible' with the G3 and the other 2 don't exist. I bought VSCO Cam, but I don't see how to force/lock exposure/focus.

What's a good Camera replacement for me? Camera FV-5 looks interesting, but doesn't (as I understand it) use the laser focus the G3 has, I've also heard of 'A Better Camera'. I don't care one way or another about the filters.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

porktree posted:

Let's talk Camera apps. I'm on an LG G3, and the stock app is decent. But I miss being able to manually set the focal point, and/or the exposure. I used to use Camera+, Laminar Pro and Camera Awesome (on an iPhone) - Camera Awesome is 'incompatible' with the G3 and the other 2 don't exist. I bought VSCO Cam, but I don't see how to force/lock exposure/focus.

What's a good Camera replacement for me? Camera FV-5 looks interesting, but doesn't (as I understand it) use the laser focus the G3 has, I've also heard of 'A Better Camera'. I don't care one way or another about the filters.

I use Camera ZOOM FX and it produces pretty good pictures for me. I don't use any of the filters or whatever it provides, but its been my go-to for a year or so now on my S3. If I recall correctly there are options for manual focus and exposure adjustment.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I use Camera ZOOM FX and it produces pretty good pictures for me. I don't use any of the filters or whatever it provides, but its been my go-to for a year or so now on my S3. If I recall correctly there are options for manual focus and exposure adjustment.
I had bought the premium version of this but never got it to lock exposure. I'll re-install it and see what I see. Thanks.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

grilldos posted:

You clearly tracked down the problem app. How often do you have it checking for updates?

Think that one auto-updates over wifi. And it cooled just after getting home and onto the wifi. Hmmm ...

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I've got a really weird issue with TimePIN after updating to 5.0 on my N5 - it's working just fine when I unlock from the lockscreen, but opening up the TimePIN app itself (e.g. to fiddle with the modifiers) it's absolutely unresponsive. Tapping the on/off sliders just doesn't do anything.

There's nothing else running, and I've paused anything that would be messing around with drawing on the screen (Twilight). Anyone else getting this?

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
An update to Google Play Services adds locations as a Smart Lock option.

In other words, stock Lollipop now supports geofencing-backed auto unlocking.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Amazon free App of the day is Monument Valley, a Good Game™

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

jkyuusai posted:

An update to Google Play Services adds locations as a Smart Lock option.

In other words, stock Lollipop now supports geofencing-backed auto unlocking.

Goddamn I have never been so excited for an OTA as I am for Lollipop. Here's hoping HTC sticks to their 90 day window.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

mysterious loyall Y posted:

Amazon free App of the day is Monument Valley, a Good Game™

This is basically http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echochrome as far as I can tell (I've played Monument Valley but not Echochrome).

e: I think I spent about an hour on it.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there a good way to wirelessly transfer files back and forth from my phone without needing to be connected to the internet? My new phone arrived yesterday and the case its in blocks the door the SD card hides behind (which I'm fine with). I'm hoping there's an app or something I can run to create a "digital USB cable" between the phone and my laptop so I'm not constantly having to take the case off to move stuff around.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Karthe posted:

Is there a good way to wirelessly transfer files back and forth from my phone without needing to be connected to the internet? My new phone arrived yesterday and the case its in blocks the door the SD card hides behind (which I'm fine with). I'm hoping there's an app or something I can run to create a "digital USB cable" between the phone and my laptop so I'm not constantly having to take the case off to move stuff around.

Does AirDroid require an internet connection? I assumed it didn't if you don't use their web.airdroid.com thingy.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
AirDroid just needs the devices to be on the same wireless network to work.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Karthe posted:

Er, why don't you just use a USB cable, again? Unless you mean you also have to take the case off to charge it, that is.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Does AirDroid require an internet connection? I assumed it didn't if you don't use their web.airdroid.com thingy.

FordPRefectLL posted:

AirDroid just needs the devices to be on the same wireless network to work.
If that's the case and all of the transfers take place over the local network then maybe I can get something working with an ad-hoc WiFi network connection between my phone and my laptop.

Edit: And success! Airdroid works over an ad-hoc WiFi network created on my laptop via netsh wlan.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Er, why don't you just use a USB cable, again? Unless you mean you also have to take the case off to charge it, that is.
The Xperia Z3 Compact has a magnetic charging port that is left exposed, so I use that to charge it. The phone has a microUSB port but it's hidden behind the same flap the microSD card hides behind.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 19, 2014

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Is there anyway I can sideload 5.0 on my note 2 or do I have to wait for modded custom roms?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Karthe posted:

If that's the case and all of the transfers take place over the local network then maybe I can get something working with an ad-hoc WiFi network connection between my phone and my laptop.

The Xperia Z3 Compact has a magnetic charging port that is left exposed, so I use that to charge it. The phone has a microUSB port but it's hidden behind the same flap the microSD card hides behind.

How often do you actually need to move stuff around? I mean if you're doing it all the time maybe it's just worth it to get a different case. Can you just use bluetooth?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KingSlime posted:

Is there anyway I can sideload 5.0 on my note 2 or do I have to wait for modded custom roms?

You have to wait.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Mr Newsman posted:

How often do you actually need to move stuff around? I mean if you're doing it all the time maybe it's just worth it to get a different case. Can you just use bluetooth?
I tried Bluetooth but I was getting ridiculously slow transfer speeds of around 70KBps. I know the Bluetooth data transfer rate is supposed to be around 2.1Mbps I was only getting about a quarter of that.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Endless Mike posted:

You have to wait.

Bah, oh well. At least I saw that Samsung confirmed the Note 2 will get an official 5.0 update eventually...but I bet custom roms with 5.0 will provide cleaner system overall.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Has google released source/binaries of 5.0 that Cyanogenmod can begin work with, or is that still a ways out in the future?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Has google released source/binaries of 5.0 that Cyanogenmod can begin work with, or is that still a ways out in the future?

I'm pretty sure AOSP is out.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

dik-dik posted:

Goddamn I have never been so excited for an OTA as I am for Lollipop. Here's hoping HTC sticks to their 90 day window.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lollipop_with_sense_6_for_the_htc_one_m8_gets_pictured-news-10256.php

So basically, Google Play edition HTC phones may get the update as early as Friday, but non-GPe phones will have it by the beginning of February. Christmas might be too optimistic.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

JoeMB posted:

I'm pretty sure AOSP is out.

Thanks yeah that was the term I was looking for, quick google says XDA has managed to build AOSP on Nexus 7 2012 so that's promising

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
A few apps I use (lux and 1weather) have notifications that always show up which I generally find useful and slightly annoying, but since upgrading to lollipop, they also show up on my lock screen and are not useful and entirely annoying there. I like having quick access to brightness controls with the lux notification panel and I like have the weather displayed in my top status bar with 1weather. Anyone know of a way to tidy this up a bit?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Wanna wait with the Lollipop update until I'm sure everything works on it and I can be assed to setup everything the way I like it. Is there any way to remove the notification meanwhile? Pressing "Later" does nothing. Rooted N5 running Xposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

spincube posted:

I've got a really weird issue with TimePIN after updating to 5.0 on my N5 - it's working just fine when I unlock from the lockscreen, but opening up the TimePIN app itself (e.g. to fiddle with the modifiers) it's absolutely unresponsive. Tapping the on/off sliders just doesn't do anything.

There's nothing else running, and I've paused anything that would be messing around with drawing on the screen (Twilight). Anyone else getting this?

Timepin has problems with ART and the developer has in fact pulled it from the play store. You might want to disable it for now.

• Locked thread