Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I've got a feeling Hawley is getting bumped up to main character status when the show comes back after winter break. The press release for "Magnum Opus" (at least the one I read) included Matt Barr's name alongside the other principle actors for the first time.

I'm also noticing a disturbing number of "where did Sleepy Hollow go wrong this season?" articles starting to crop up online. And when the entertainment press starts handwrining a genre show like this it really gets me worried, especially when it's a genre show on FOX of all places.

Has there been any speculation yet one way or another on Sleepy Hollow's chances of being renewed next season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I just think it's funny that it took a Crane-lite episode for Jenny to get some decent screen-time. So Hawley could stand in for Crane instead of his usual standing in for Jenny.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Was Tom Mison actually ill or something?

And can anybody confirm the effectivenes of matzoh soup as cold relief?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

The MSJ posted:

I can't give you specifics but there have been a number of studies reported in the newspapers that show evidence that traditional chicken soup has antibacterial properties.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Lord Bude posted:

I can't give you specifics but there have been a number of studies reported in the newspapers that show evidence that traditional chicken soup has antibacterial properties.

Antibacterial properties would have zero effect on the cold since the cold is a virus. But I do believe there have been studies that show it boost the immune system which could help.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hawley has no charisma and is just a boring character. He hasn't said anything interesting or done anything worth remembering since he popped up, but hey he's good looking so just swap him out for Ichabod, no big deal.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

This is seeming even more likely I think.

More likely Jenny is gonna be the witch. See the way everyone was looking at her when she seemed to know just how to seance up their mom at the end. Plus it could explain why she isn't a witness despite witnessing just as much as her sister if not more, she had the witchcraft inside of her.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

The MSJ posted:

Any one else notice Ichabod's blocked nose pronounciation of "Molloch" as "Bollock"?

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch
I realized this episode that I don't give 3 shits about Abbie's mom or her backstory. I hope we're done with that for now. Oh, and Hawley can eat a gigantic demonic dong.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I like this episode, it gave us Hawley standing in a corner being quiet, Katrina seeing through Henry's deception in about 5 minutes, trying to actively do something about it before the episode is over, a ghost trying to garotte another ghost and more Captain.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I liked the effects they did on the Nurse being defeated. I also noticed that the music they used during the mural scene was very heavily inspired by Danny Elfman's scores from the movie--more so than the other music they use.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't really mind Hawley, but I think he would be better used as a partner for Jenny so we could have Plot A : Ichabod and Abbie deal with half of the current problem in a rather straight-laced way, possibly with Katrina tagging along; and Plot B : Jenny and Hawley roguishly taking part of the other half of the problem, "borrowing" artefacts to use against demons, also possibly with Irving tagging along.

It makes sense in my head.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am already shipping Hawley and Crane so you Hawley hates can get gently caress.

Ichaley is the new pairing in town.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only issue I have with Hawley is that he is showing up about 80% more than Irving is and Irving was my favorite last year. Thankfully it seems like Irving is going to get a lot more screen time now that he's out of Tarrytown.

I've been enjoying the season so far but not as much as last year. It's lost some of the eccentricity and energy it had in season one when it was constantly moving at breakneck pace. It's taking things a lot slower, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (Especially if this all ends up tying into something amazing), but I hope that it reclaims that magic it had in the first season sooner rather than later.

mr.capps posted:

I am already shipping Hawley and Crane so you Hawley hates can get gently caress.

Hawloch or bust.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

mr.capps posted:

One can only hope they will address the rabid shippers like Supernatural did several times, especially in the recent 200th episode.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

mr.capps posted:

I knew they were meant to be when he drugged the matzoh ball soup.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

WitchFetish posted:

I don't really mind Hawley, but I think he would be better used as a partner for Jenny so we could have Plot A : Ichabod and Abbie deal with half of the current problem in a rather straight-laced way, possibly with Katrina tagging along; and Plot B : Jenny and Hawley roguishly taking part of the other half of the problem, "borrowing" artefacts to use against demons, also possibly with Irving tagging along.

I'd hate Hawley a lot less if they did this.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

WitchFetish posted:

God that would be so good.

Hawley goes well with Jenny. Abbie with Crane. And Katrina can... uh.. be an Exposition Fairy?

Hawley, Jenny and Irving should be the muscle when they are up against some badass physical threat, like a werewolf or golem or whatever.

Arrgg so much potential.

Even if they mess up this season, but don't mess it up enough to not get renewed, they can build on these characters in season 3.

I feel like Katrina needs to die at some point so that the horseman can go back to being headless and creepy.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

BlueBayou posted:

I feel like Katrina needs to die at some point so that the horseman can go back to being headless and creepy.
Maybe drag the Molloch boy back into purgatory by end of season.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I like Hawley. He's cute. :shobon:

I'm what's wrong with America, aren't I.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with Hawley. His prominence has put a few of the longer term characters on the backburner a bit early on but they needed another character to help flesh out the team's roster of people Able To Help With Weird poo poo. Especially with Henry being an adversary now and Irving understandably sidelined, it can't all be on Crane/Abbie/Jenny.

That's not to say they didn't overplay the selfish mercenary angle at the start, because they did.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Hawley would be great if he popped up occasionally when they were legitimately dealing with a strange artifact or needed muscle for hire.

You spend a season with him only popping up every 3 episodes or so, slowly building a romance with Jenny. Have them be the team that's willing to get their hands duty. The two who go steal organs from the hospital, or break into a militia compound to get some old lantern.

He needs to be like Gunn in Angel. Evolve from side character to full cast member in an organic way. Not OH HEY HERES HAWLEY ISN'T HE PRETTY

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BlueBayou posted:

Hawley would be great if he popped up occasionally when they were legitimately dealing with a strange artifact or needed muscle for hire.

You spend a season with him only popping up every 3 episodes or so, slowly building a romance with Jenny. Have them be the team that's willing to get their hands duty. The two who go steal organs from the hospital, or break into a militia compound to get some old lantern.

He needs to be like Gunn in Angel. Evolve from side character to full cast member in an organic way. Not OH HEY HERES HAWLEY ISN'T HE PRETTY

This is precisely how I expected him to be used and I was fine with it. Throw him in there two or three times a season when he's relevant, maybe if the show is still around in 3 seasons he'll have evolved into more of a regular. But nope, he popped up one week and pretty much hasn't been off-screen since.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ Was he in last weeks episode?

BlueBayou posted:

In a way he has helped cause all the poo poo that has gone down this season. He is indirectly responsible for the child, and they did say they need to build an army and so far he is a good ally to have.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

He hasn't literally been in every episode but he's only missed one or two this season.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

bobkatt013 posted:

Prominently.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lycus posted:

Prominently.

I meant the one two weeks ago, with pregnant Katrina.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

I think Hawley doesn't bother me because he's totally in that Han Solo/Nathan Drake mold of scoundrel with a heart of a gold, and goddamnit, there are just some cliches that I never get sick of as long as they are decently written.

I definitely understand why people are annoyed with him because Jenny kind of fit into that role of "we need mystical artifact of the week" or "I know where to get some guns" person and she had a much deeper connection to Abbie obviously, so having Hawley supplant her and Irving is a little bit of whiplash.

hollylolly posted:

I like Hawley. He's cute.

But then again, he is a real dreamboat :allears:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Quasipox posted:

I think Hawley doesn't bother me because he's totally in that Han Solo/Nathan Drake mold of scoundrel with a heart of a gold, and goddamnit, there are just some cliches that I never get sick of as long as they are decently written.

I definitely understand why people are annoyed with him because Jenny kind of fit into that role of "we need mystical artifact of the week" or "I know where to get some guns" person and she had a much deeper connection to Abbie obviously, so having Hawley supplant her and Irving is a little bit of whiplash.

But then again, he is a real dreamboat :allears:

hollylolly posted:

I like Hawley. He's cute.

I'm so glad it's not just me.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

They are not going to build a romance up between Hawley and Jenny, that's ridiculous. The show has already established that he and Jenny have had an on again off again gently caress buddies thing, and that he is currently having feelings for Abby.

It's a LOVE TRIANGLE. Well, it isn't, but it might be.

Edit: Hawley appreciation station :3::respek::3:

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

NeuroticLich posted:

The only issue I have with Hawley is that he is showing up about 80% more than Irving is and Irving was my favorite last year. Thankfully it seems like Irving is going to get a lot more screen time now that he's out of Tarrytown.

I've been enjoying the season so far but not as much as last year. It's lost some of the eccentricity and energy it had in season one when it was constantly moving at breakneck pace. It's taking things a lot slower, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (Especially if this all ends up tying into something amazing), but I hope that it reclaims that magic it had in the first season sooner rather than later.

Hawloch or bust.

Hawbraham is where it's at. Mostly because it's fun to say Hawbraham. Try it!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I'm absolutely amazed no one commented on Crane having issues with the childproof cap on the medicine bottle.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Test Pattern posted:

Hawbraham is where it's at. Mostly because it's fun to say Hawbraham. Try it!

Hawbraham.

Hey, guys, he's right!

Also, :haw:braham.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

10 Beers posted:

I'm absolutely amazed no one commented on Crane having issues with the childproof cap on the medicine bottle.

This was one of my favorite parts. :kiddo:

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Joining the Hawley Appreciation Station! I like the new dynamic he brings to the group and I like his interactions with Crane.

What does bother me is that they've known forever that Henry stole Irving's soul and it doesn't appear they've done anything about it. You'd think that would be high on their list of priorities.

Basebf555 posted:

Hawley has no charisma and is just a boring character. He hasn't said anything interesting or done anything worth remembering since he popped up, but hey he's good looking so just swap him out for Ichabod, no big deal.

It makes total sense that they'd swap him out for Crane and it was a smart move. This was an Abby and Jenny episode, the focus needed to be on them, their relationship and their past. You can't have Crane there and just stick him in a corner not saying anything. Hawley was the perfect stand in.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

KilGrey posted:

It makes total sense that they'd swap him out for Crane and it was a smart move. This was an Abby and Jenny episode, the focus needed to be on them, their relationship and their past. You can't have Crane there and just stick him in a corner not saying anything. Hawley was the perfect stand in.
That was my feeling too about Hawley taking Ichabod's place for the more action bits.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This season has gone from disappointing, to boring, to poo poo with the last episode. I didn't realize how much Ichabod is propping up the series until his absence. The girl's acting was atrocious in the mama scene.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

KilGrey posted:

Joining the Hawley Appreciation Station! I like the new dynamic he brings to the group and I like his interactions with Crane.

What does bother me is that they've known forever that Henry stole Irving's soul and it doesn't appear they've done anything about it. You'd think that would be high on their list of priorities.

I also appreciated that Hawley (or the writers) let the sisters take point, even to where he held the light while they took down the plaster on the wall. Well, except for the bit up at the top, but he can't help that he's taller.

The one thing I dislike is how his name sounds like Holly. ;)

Seychelles82
Nov 4, 2014

wormil posted:

This season has gone from disappointing, to boring, to poo poo with the last episode. I didn't realize how much Ichabod is propping up the series until his absence. The girl's acting was atrocious in the mama scene.

TOTAL opposite reaction here, I love that episode and really surprisingly, didn't miss that Ichabod wasn't in it that much. And if by 'the girl' :rolleyes: you mean Abbie, or Abbie and Jennie, they acted the hell out of that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Seychelles82 posted:

TOTAL opposite reaction here, I love that episode and really surprisingly, didn't miss that Ichabod wasn't in it that much. And if by 'the girl' :rolleyes: you mean Abbie, or Abbie and Jennie, they acted the hell out of that scene.

Indeed, the actresses doing Abbie and Jennie are always doing their jobs. I mean, they're no Andre Braugher in B99 (ALL the awards worthy, I mean), but they're doing just fine for what they're doing. They're believable.

I liked this episode more than most recently, for lots of reasons already mentioned, like Katrina figuring poo poo out quickly, lots of Jennie, Jennie possibly getting into witchcraft to replace the need for Katrina, Hawley being not a dick, Ichabod being sick and dealing with that.

It did make me wonder why Ichabod hasn't been constantly sick from all of the viruses that have mutated since his time. Have they addressed that?

• Locked thread