Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Bored posted:

"If they're crabby, put them in water." :confused:

Well, hot boiling water is the best place for a shellfish is it not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

This is just so dumb.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

This is just so dumb.

It's also kind of gross

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Ronnie posted:

My sister is currently in baby-obsessed mode at the moment so I get to see stuff like this.

Look I have no problem with Elephants, I just wouldn't want my child kissing one.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

kinmik posted:

Everyone should be able to read my mind and cater to it exactly as I wish. Why won't they acknowledge my identity as a secret agent?? :cry:

:ironicat:

There isn't anything weird about this, goddamn. I assume most people who aren't straight can relate to it. It's not like it's a post made out of rage, or even irritation, despite the use of the word. It's about being in awkward social situations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

There isn't anything weird about this, goddamn. I assume most people who aren't straight can relate to it. It's not like it's a post made out of rage, or even irritation, despite the use of the word. It's about being in awkward social situations.

Well, it makes light of the actual world's most irritated and useless secret agent, that guy that gives Inspector Gadget his assignments and then blows up shortly thereafter.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

theironjef posted:

Well, it makes light of the actual world's most irritated and useless secret agent, that guy that gives Inspector Gadget his assignments and then blows up shortly thereafter.

But without him, how would Penny know what she had to do?

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

NobbytheSheep posted:

Oh, Britain First, you and your stolen American memes. :allears: Yes, posting a load of made-up racist bullshit is so loving brave. The vast majority of people I know aren't stupid enough to fall for their crap, but you do get the odd person posting one of their cute animal pictures. Even though none of the money they're asking for will actually go to help animals, it's more likely to go into Paul Golding's armoured car fund.

Also, their uniform is terrible. Yes, Muslims are going to be so intimidated by a bunch of people who look like they've stepped off Ground Force.

Wait these cunts have a uniform?
brb...got to check it out.

HAAHHHAAhhaaa........twats, nice hats

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

kannonfodder posted:

Exactly. Men can claim to be whatever they want, but at the end of the day, they don't even slightly matter in the discussions of feminism. If a woman tells you to shut up about feminist issues, and you claim to support feminism, you shut the gently caress up.

Less "it's about MEEEEE" as "it's not about you".

So, the purpose of feminism is to gather all the women in the world an establish a women's only planet? Because otherwise, like it or not, men are going to have to be involved in discussions of feminism because women live in a society that contains men. Like, I agree that people being super proud of themselves for being "allies" is dumb because they basically want a pat on the back for not being a terrible person, this idea is just as dumb.

What about the white people that took part in sit-ins and freedom rides during the Civil Rights movement? Should black people have just told them "gently caress off, we're doing this ourselves"?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

This is just so dumb.

Usually someone complaining about "fake people" and uses "smh" as punctuation is an idiot.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Nikaer Drekin posted:

So, the purpose of feminism is to gather all the women in the world an establish a women's only planet? Because otherwise, like it or not, men are going to have to be involved in discussions of feminism because women live in a society that contains men. Like, I agree that people being super proud of themselves for being "allies" is dumb because they basically want a pat on the back for not being a terrible person, this idea is just as dumb.

What about the white people that took part in sit-ins and freedom rides during the Civil Rights movement? Should black people have just told them "gently caress off, we're doing this ourselves"?

The poorly-worded point was, it's good for men to be feminists, but they shouldn't talk over women to crow about it.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"Dr. Pritchard, the syllabus says we're going to discuss feminism today. Why have you just been standing quietly at the podium for twenty minutes?"

"I'm not allowed to talk about my theories, research, conclusions, or suggestions on the matter. Just spend the next hour browsing Facebook on your phone while Jennifer in the front row watches me to make sure I don't say anything about the 'F' word."

If there's one thing men desperately need, it's a platform to speak their minds free of all that female oppression.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, I think the "they don't even slightly matter in the discussions of feminism" part threw me off. Going back it seems more like they're saying that men shouldn't be running the discussion, which I'd whole-heartedly agree with.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"Dr. Pritchard, the syllabus says we're going to discuss feminism today. Why have you just been standing quietly at the podium for twenty minutes?"

"I'm not allowed to talk about my theories, research, conclusions, or suggestions on the matter. Just spend the next hour browsing Facebook on your phone while Jennifer in the front row watches me to make sure I don't say anything about the 'F' word."

Put this on a picture of a bear or puffin and it could have come from Reddit.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Yes, the best way to counter the two-party system is to make it legal for the primary funding sources of the two major parties to donate as much as they want as long as their names are on record! This can't possibly backfire...

Oh god, he just doubled down:

quote:

I suggest a different view. It is impossible to quickly aggregate another option to these two parties because THEY LIMIT the aggregation of money to challenge their 150 year old incumbency. Whether they bundle 30 x $1000 or 1 x $30,000....they have created a system where it is difficult to break their cycle.

They have killed all the competitors in their ecosystem, and now share the prey (whomever donates).

If there are not enough people to donate ludicrous amounts, then we are not changing anything anyway.

I might add the current two parties have both jointly spent $17.5 trillion we don't have as a country.

Kugyou no Tenshi has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Nov 18, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

kazil posted:

Yes satire often appears on Reddit, that's correct.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

kazil posted:

Come visit us in the meme thread sometime. I think you'd like it.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Chomp8645 posted:

Yes satire often appears on Reddit, that's correct.

Profile: Male
Post History: Games, MMO HMO, Imp Zone, Traditional Games

stop contributing to hurtful stereotypes

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Profile: Male
Post History: Games, MMO HMO, Imp Zone, Traditional Games

stop contributing to hurtful stereotypes

Hey I post in gibbis sometimes too this thing must be broken!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

SodomyGoat101 posted:

They stop complaining when you drown them, hth

Yeah. I think they are suggesting drowning them instead of shaking them. Drowning can always be explained as accidental.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bored posted:

"If they're crabby, put them in water." :confused:

Father heard his children scream,
So he threw them in the stream,
Saying, as he drowned the third,
"Children should be seen, not heard."

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Huntersoninski posted:

The poorly-worded point was, it's good for men to be feminists, but they shouldn't talk over women to crow about it.

Yeah, that's what I meant to say, just kinda poo poo the bed saying it. I'd just gotten out of an argument with an egalitarian, who was saying that the very word "feminism" is problematic.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
I like the way tumblr people try to instruct those who are sympathetic to them. It's like teaching proper table manners by inviting your friends over for dinner and then stabbing with a fondue fork them when they put their elbows on the table.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Whatev posted:

I like the way tumblr people try to instruct those who are sympathetic to them. It's like teaching proper table manners by inviting your friends over for dinner and then stabbing with a fondue fork them when they put their elbows on the table.

The thing that baffles me about tumblrite SJWs is that they very frequently completely fail to understand the theories and ideals of the movements they supposedly support. Last I heard feminism was supposed to be about total gender equality going both was. Let's be honest, gender roles aren't always kind to men either and there are some serious men's rights issues but if you dare to suggest something like "sometimes an abusive relationship is a woman hurting a man" you're going to get screamed out of the conversation. I've had some...very interesting experiences discussing my own abusive relationships (I'm a straight man, for the record) in that sometimes at least one SJW will come screaming out of the woodwork to tell me how wrong and awful I am. Because I guess "some women are bad people and should not be able to get away with bad behavior" is a terrible thing to say? Or, you know, "hey abusive relationships suck, nobody should have to deal with that, but men that have had lovely relationships get woefully poor support" is apparently awful. I'm not some MRA arguing that feminism is terrible and ruins everything. What I'm saying is that the SJW view of "men are inherently dangerous to women and women are totally incapable of harming men" is so, so far away from reality. Like yes, women can gently caress up men pretty badly and I have the borderline disorder/PTSD/major depression disorder combination to loving prove it.

I mean, the proper response to that sort of stuff is "we should provide support for people who have been through that poo poo no matter what they are" rather than "we should provide support for women who have been hurt." But if you dare to suggest that, well, maybe we should provide support for men in those situations too you get branded a heretic and have people demanding your blood. Well that's been my experience with the internet, anyway.

I'll agree that Reddit-style MRAs are atrocious, misogynistic pricks but not everybody that speaks out on men's issues is one of them. There are some legitimate men's issues that need to be dealt with and if we're going with the "gender equality" issue then feminism needs to tackle them as well. The problem with MRAs is that they want to undo all the things that feminism has accomplished and bury a few valid points and legitimate issues in a loving ocean of rage and bile.

OK I typed way more than I intended but it's apropos to the discussion I guess? That could probably be a D&D thread all its own. Criminy.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But if you dare to suggest that, well, maybe we should provide support for men in those situations too you get branded a heretic and have people demanding your blood. Well that's been my experience with the internet, anyway.

Hey, I didn't know I stumbled into the shitthatdidnthappen.txt thread!

Anyways let's stop talking about tumblr and make fun of dummies on Facebook.

To be fair this kid does seem to be having genuine problems with an inconsiderate roommate, but this weird level of ignorance/Islamophobia was just funny to me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

kannonfodder posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant to say, just kinda poo poo the bed saying it. I'd just gotten out of an argument with an egalitarian, who was saying that the very word "feminism" is problematic.

To be fair the original point was crystal clear and goons are still misinterpreting it.

Whether because they are dumb or willfully dense, I dunno.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ronnie posted:

My sister is currently in baby-obsessed mode at the moment so I get to see stuff like this.

Remember to invent new, secret pleasures with them!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Went to the comic strip thread, found a potential response to the recurring "BACK IN MY DAY :argh:" thing:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

I don't know, "real friends" sound kind of like assholes if this is true.

also why is one of the fake friends in all caps

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 10:50 on Nov 19, 2014

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Out of curiosity I wanted to test how to make such a poo poo image from iOS so I used an old iPad's notes and took photos of photos of it.

I envy people who make images look lovely unintentionally because it took me way too long to do this intentionally. And mine still isn't lovely enough :(

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Hey, I didn't know I stumbled into the shitthatdidnthappen.txt thread!

In general, however bad of a strawman you think someone is creating, there is someone online who is worse. Generally entire echo chamber communities who are ALL worse.

For men with terrible opinions, look on Reddit, for non-men, Tumblr's your destination.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Out of curiosity I wanted to test how to make such a poo poo image from iOS so I used an old iPad's notes and took photos of photos of it.

I envy people who make images look lovely unintentionally because it took me way too long to do this intentionally. And mine still isn't lovely enough :(

It's like a slow death, I like it

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

It's an instagram filter.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Murphy Brownback posted:

I don't know, "real friends" sound kind of like assholes if this is true.

also why is one of the fake friends in all caps

I read this to the tune of My Dick by Mickey Avalon.

It didn't make it better.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Naet posted:

I read this to the tune of My Dick by Mickey Avalon.

It didn't make it better.

You should've just listened to the song; you'd have had a much better time

large like the Chargers--the whole team
your poo poo look like you fourteen

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Sharin this, so true lmao!

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The thing that baffles me about tumblrite SJWs is that they very frequently completely fail to understand the theories and ideals of the movements they supposedly support. Last I heard feminism was supposed to be about total gender equality going both was. Let's be honest, gender roles aren't always kind to men either and there are some serious men's rights issues but if you dare to suggest something like "sometimes an abusive relationship is a woman hurting a man" you're going to get screamed out of the conversation. I've had some...very interesting experiences discussing my own abusive relationships (I'm a straight man, for the record) in that sometimes at least one SJW will come screaming out of the woodwork to tell me how wrong and awful I am. Because I guess "some women are bad people and should not be able to get away with bad behavior" is a terrible thing to say? Or, you know, "hey abusive relationships suck, nobody should have to deal with that, but men that have had lovely relationships get woefully poor support" is apparently awful. I'm not some MRA arguing that feminism is terrible and ruins everything. What I'm saying is that the SJW view of "men are inherently dangerous to women and women are totally incapable of harming men" is so, so far away from reality. Like yes, women can gently caress up men pretty badly and I have the borderline disorder/PTSD/major depression disorder combination to loving prove it.

I mean, the proper response to that sort of stuff is "we should provide support for people who have been through that poo poo no matter what they are" rather than "we should provide support for women who have been hurt." But if you dare to suggest that, well, maybe we should provide support for men in those situations too you get branded a heretic and have people demanding your blood. Well that's been my experience with the internet, anyway.

I'll agree that Reddit-style MRAs are atrocious, misogynistic pricks but not everybody that speaks out on men's issues is one of them. There are some legitimate men's issues that need to be dealt with and if we're going with the "gender equality" issue then feminism needs to tackle them as well. The problem with MRAs is that they want to undo all the things that feminism has accomplished and bury a few valid points and legitimate issues in a loving ocean of rage and bile.

OK I typed way more than I intended but it's apropos to the discussion I guess? That could probably be a D&D thread all its own. Criminy.

Not that I need to but just gonna call bs. I am a feminist, but I was the only child of parents where my mother was deeply abusive of my father and I. We experienced a ton of legit and serious men's rights/fatherhood issues when social work and the law wanted to put me into my mother's custody despite her being an alcoholic drug addict, rather than my dad's when he was employed and working to keep us safe. I have a lot of sympathy for these genuine issues and have brought them up when discussing feminism/MRAs online - the response has ONLY been sympathetic towards the situation. I've also called, as an adult, a domestic abuse charity for advice and though they expressed some surprise at how "you usually always hear about this the other way around", again they were nothing but helpful - despite being primarily geared towards women. I've never encountered anyone anywhere who claims that domestic abuse towards men cannot exist - online or irl.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

moerketid posted:

Not that I need to but just gonna call bs. I am a feminist, but I was the only child of parents where my mother was deeply abusive of my father and I. We experienced a ton of legit and serious men's rights/fatherhood issues when social work and the law wanted to put me into my mother's custody despite her being an alcoholic drug addict, rather than my dad's when he was employed and working to keep us safe. I have a lot of sympathy for these genuine issues and have brought them up when discussing feminism/MRAs online - the response has ONLY been sympathetic towards the situation. I've also called, as an adult, a domestic abuse charity for advice and though they expressed some surprise at how "you usually always hear about this the other way around", again they were nothing but helpful - despite being primarily geared towards women. I've never encountered anyone anywhere who claims that domestic abuse towards men cannot exist - online or irl.

Well yeah, duh. Someone claiming to be a feminist on tumblr is about as realistic as someone claiming to be a black belt on tumblr. It's a big carnival game where you shoot invective at targets and the only reward is more invective. Actual support groups/feminists/black belts and so on are so much better as to be entirely different things.

theironjef has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Nov 19, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think he said he only encountered them on the internet. The vast majority of SJWs are teenagers on tumblr, adults who don't go outside, and strawmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Kajeesus posted:

I think he said he only encountered them on the internet. The vast majority of SJWs are teenagers on tumblr, adults who don't go outside, and strawmen.

I'm vaguely scared of those teenagers on Tumblr getting older, not growing up, and influencing policy, though. :ohdear:

• Locked thread