Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

VikingSkull posted:

I'm not entirely sure Fords designers have thought this through and it's entirely possibly they did this with no testing whatsoever. What idiots.

Yes because pre-production testing absolutely guarantees that your product won't be a lovely, unreliable piece of garbage that falls apart/catches fire/just doesn't work properly (circle applicable) once it reaches the the masses. No sir I would not go against that ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

No. not at all. The Z28 has $5000 carbon ceramic brakes and an engine that's $17,000 in crate form.

The aluminum pannels over carbon fiber and steel brakes over carbon ceramic suggest they've kept the cost in check.

Yeah, except the whole flat plane v8 found in nothing else probably isn't much cheaper than an LS7. Points outside of that taken though.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

D C posted:

$100,000 for the first few months then down to like 55-60k im guessing.

I've never wanted a raise so badly.

It's like when I look two year old M3s and try to lie to myself about maintenance costs and how I could totally afford it if I wasn't putting as much away in the kiddo's college fund :)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

Yeah, except the whole flat plane v8 found in nothing else probably isn't much cheaper than an LS7. Points outside of that taken though.

The ford GT is supposed to be coming back for the 50th anniversary of the original wins, which could help recoup the engineering cost.

The LS7 haa dry sump oiling and titanium valves and con rods. the base GT350 likely won't

The engine oil cooler, trans oil cooler and tower brace are all cost options. It would take massive, massive balls to ask $70k for a track car, then ask more for the track bits.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

fknlo posted:

The only theoretical difference between a flat and a cross plane are the crankshafts, the firing order which is just electronics, and if you like, the exhaust routing. They make drop-in flat plane cranks for SBCs. The engine block and everything else are the same outside of whatever strengthening one would to on a performance application regardless of crankshaft orientation.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

8200rpm redline.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Throatwarbler posted:

8200rpm redline.
Sounds good to me. Wonder if they are keeping the 3.73 rear gear? In the GT-PP its a little too much on some tracks, as you have to shift more often. With over a thousand extra RPM available, it would be more appropriate.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Powershift posted:

The ford GT is supposed to be coming back for the 50th anniversary of the original wins, which could help recoup the engineering cost.

Wait, what?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I know the GT350 will be a screamer (8200 redline, oh yeah), but I have to say it sounds absolutely great at low revs in that video, too.

It kinda reminds of the only good part of the Star Wars prequels, those lovely pod racer engine sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krCKECpzrU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Fun Fact: Passat W8s were flat plane(with balance shafts like an I4), and nothing ever goes wrong with tho

The W8 engine itself was questionable in reliability/serviceability but jesus it sounds amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mDhtSYLRyE

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

I could deal with the F1 noises, but I never understood why he's got like 200 gears in his jet engines :downs:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mat_Drinks posted:

I've never wanted a raise so badly.

It's like when I look two year old M3s and try to lie to myself about maintenance costs and how I could totally afford it if I wasn't putting as much away in the kiddo's college fund :)
Assuming you've kept on top of the maintenance, and you make sure you sell privately, you can probably trade up from the sprog to the Mustang without too much difficulty. Clean title I assume?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Dumb question then: if it's flat-plane why is it called a V8 and not an I8 or flat-8 or something?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Kenshin posted:

Dumb question then: if it's flat-plane why is it called a V8 and not an I8 or flat-8 or something?

It's referring to firing order, not physical cylinder configuration.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Kenshin posted:

The crank is flat, but the cylinders themselves are still arranged in a V configuration. Here's a good image from Jalopnik:

The block/heads/etc aren't any different; they make drop-in flat-plane cranks for engines like the Chevy small block.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You can actually recreate the same effect (perfectly timed exhaust pulses) with "180 degree headers", but the packaging leaves a little to be desired:

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Fucknag posted:

The crank is flat, but the cylinders themselves are still arranged in a V configuration. Here's a good image from Jalopnik:

The block/heads/etc aren't any different; they make drop-in flat-plane cranks for engines like the Chevy small block.

Possibly a retarded question, but does the crankshaft need to rotate twice as fast with the flat plane setup?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Augmented Dickey posted:

Possibly a retarded question, but does the crankshaft need to rotate twice as fast with the flat plane setup?

no, but in some cases it can anyway

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/volkswagen-golf-r-sportwagen-los-angeles-motor-show-2014-11-18

SEXY.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Either we won't get it in the states, or it will cost 50k and no one will buy it because that's <insert luxury brand> money.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the new title, AI!

I wish I had money left over after stroller buying to change it :(

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Guinness posted:

Either we won't get it in the states, or it will cost 50k and no one will buy it because that's <insert luxury brand> money.

Well, if Cadillac had such a hard time selling a 556hp wagon with a stick available at $65k, I don't see VW moving many 300hp wagons for $50k without a stick.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, if Cadillac had such a hard time selling a 556hp wagon with a stick available at $65k, I don't see VW moving many 300hp wagons for $50k without a stick.

The S60R was such a better deal than the r Sportwagen. It even came with the "spaceball" shifter, which is the best thing ever.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Crossplane vs Flatplane V8s: What the gently caress is actually going on?

Let's do a quick rundown of firing order, and what it means for engine operation, specifically exhaust scavenging.

This is a cylinder number diagram (Chevy/most manufacturers in the cylinders, Ford [obviously] in parentheses):

Odd numbers on the left bank (as viewed from the driver's seat, cylinder 1 is at the front of the engine), evens on the right.

The classic Chevy small block uses the firing order:

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

and the LS1 and newer engines use:

1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3.

You see in both firing orders that on each cycle, there's a point where 2 cylinders in a row fire on the same bank; 8-4 and 5-7 on the classic, 2-6 and 3-1 on the newer. On a typical exhaust manifold of any length, the pulses of exhaust gas from these two adjacent firings, since they're spaced closer together, reduce engine performance; specifically, the first of the pair arrives at the collector immediately before the second, meaning there's high pressure at the collector when the second arrives. Basically instead of seeing an even cycle of high-low-high-low, etc, like a 4-cylinder manifold would, it sees (for each cylinder in the firing order) a pressure pattern like this (this is based on the classic firing order, the newer is similar, just phased differently):

-__-_--_

This reduces the velocity of the exhaust stream, meaning the engine has to work harder to pump it through, which reduces power output. Longer headers can mitigate this somewhat on their own, but it's still there. Wider header tubes can mitigate the effect, but that reduces an effect called scavenging, where the inertia of each exhaust pulse kind of helps "pull" the next one through, negating the pressure spikes and helping the engine breathe better. Narrower tubes increase the velocity of the gas to increase this effect, so having the pipes too big, while improving individual flow, can reduce overall engine performance (this also applies to the exhaust as a whole, which is why having too big an exhaust is not just annoying, it can also hurt engine performance even compared to stock).

You can also see that, after entering the main exhaust tube, the two adjacent high and low pressure zones kind of merge together to create one big pulse; this is what creates the deep, low-pitch rumble of classic American V8s that you don't get from a Ferrari. A similar effect is what causes the "Boxer rumble" that Subarus are known for; they use unequal-length manifolds, so at various engine speeds the 4 exhaust pulses merge into 2 big ones, which is the entire cause of the distinctive Subaru exhaust sound; replace the stock manifolds with aftermarket, equal-length headers, and it sounds like any other 4-cylinders. They use them from the factory because they're cheaper to make than performance headers, but it's fairly easy to make equal-length ones.

On a V8, it's not so simple. As I mentioned, even if the runners on all 8 cylinders are the same length, those adjacent exhaust pulses still crop up, no matter if it's a short- or long-tube header. The "perfect" solution is the crossover header, the "bundle of snakes" that IOC posted. It crosses either the outer or inner cylinder pairs (depending mostly on packaging) from one side to the other, to even out the exhaust pulses and improve flow, which improves scavenging on its own, and lets you run smaller runners which does the same. The engine has to do a lot less work to push its own exhaust out the tailpipe, which means that much more horsepower left to drive the wheels. The disadvantage is, as is obvious from that picture, packaging; obviously to tie both sides together like that, either the collectors have to be close together like in the picture, or if they're spaced wider out the runners from the same side will have to be looped to get to the same runner length as the inner ones that had to cross over (or under) the engine (because if you're going to the effort of doing headers like that, you'd be insane not to make them equal length).

All this is an inevitable consequence of the geometry of the crankshaft; the orientation of the crank journals, and the consequent timing of the piston arriving at the top of the cylinder, means that any workable firing order will have those 2 pairs of same-bank cylinder firings. There's no getting around it.

A flat-plane crank doesn't have these issues; it's the same geometry as a 4-cylinder crank, just with 2 pistons on each journal instead of 1. Ferrari uses the Ford-style numbering; its firing order is:

1-5-3-7-4-8-2-6

Each opposed pair fires together, 90 degrees apart, in the same 1-3-4-2 as a 4-banger. Avoids all the weird timing issues caused by the crossplane crank, and you can run a simple equal-length header manifold on each bank (tuned to whatever RPM you want) and join them later. Piss easy.

So why do we bother with this crossplane nonsense at all? The answer's already been posted in the thread (vibrations), but there's a bit more to it; I'll do another effortpost later on why the various vibrations happen and what the consequences are.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I have my doubts we'll ever see it here in the states but BOY I hope I'm wrong.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Thought you guys were talking about the new Lada concept my friend showed me at work the other day.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Thought you guys were talking about the new Lada concept my friend showed me at work the other day.

You mean the 2016 lada 1200?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Powershift posted:

Would.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Fucknag posted:

Crossplane vs Flatplane V8s: What the gently caress is actually going on?

Let's do a quick rundown of firing order, and what it means for engine operation, specifically exhaust scavenging.

This is a cylinder number diagram (Chevy/most manufacturers in the cylinders, Ford [obviously] in parentheses):

Odd numbers on the left bank (as viewed from the driver's seat, cylinder 1 is at the front of the engine), evens on the right.

The classic Chevy small block uses the firing order:

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

and the LS1 and newer engines use:

1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3.

You see in both firing orders that on each cycle, there's a point where 2 cylinders in a row fire on the same bank; 8-4 and 5-7 on the classic, 2-6 and 3-1 on the newer. On a typical exhaust manifold of any length, the pulses of exhaust gas from these two adjacent firings, since they're spaced closer together, reduce engine performance; specifically, the first of the pair arrives at the collector immediately before the second, meaning there's high pressure at the collector when the second arrives. Basically instead of seeing an even cycle of high-low-high-low, etc, like a 4-cylinder manifold would, it sees (for each cylinder in the firing order) a pressure pattern like this (this is based on the classic firing order, the newer is similar, just phased differently):

-__-_--_

This reduces the velocity of the exhaust stream, meaning the engine has to work harder to pump it through, which reduces power output. Longer headers can mitigate this somewhat on their own, but it's still there. Wider header tubes can mitigate the effect, but that reduces an effect called scavenging, where the inertia of each exhaust pulse kind of helps "pull" the next one through, negating the pressure spikes and helping the engine breathe better. Narrower tubes increase the velocity of the gas to increase this effect, so having the pipes too big, while improving individual flow, can reduce overall engine performance (this also applies to the exhaust as a whole, which is why having too big an exhaust is not just annoying, it can also hurt engine performance even compared to stock).

You can also see that, after entering the main exhaust tube, the two adjacent high and low pressure zones kind of merge together to create one big pulse; this is what creates the deep, low-pitch rumble of classic American V8s that you don't get from a Ferrari. A similar effect is what causes the "Boxer rumble" that Subarus are known for; they use unequal-length manifolds, so at various engine speeds the 4 exhaust pulses merge into 2 big ones, which is the entire cause of the distinctive Subaru exhaust sound; replace the stock manifolds with aftermarket, equal-length headers, and it sounds like any other 4-cylinders. They use them from the factory because they're cheaper to make than performance headers, but it's fairly easy to make equal-length ones.

On a V8, it's not so simple. As I mentioned, even if the runners on all 8 cylinders are the same length, those adjacent exhaust pulses still crop up, no matter if it's a short- or long-tube header. The "perfect" solution is the crossover header, the "bundle of snakes" that IOC posted. It crosses either the outer or inner cylinder pairs (depending mostly on packaging) from one side to the other, to even out the exhaust pulses and improve flow, which improves scavenging on its own, and lets you run smaller runners which does the same. The engine has to do a lot less work to push its own exhaust out the tailpipe, which means that much more horsepower left to drive the wheels. The disadvantage is, as is obvious from that picture, packaging; obviously to tie both sides together like that, either the collectors have to be close together like in the picture, or if they're spaced wider out the runners from the same side will have to be looped to get to the same runner length as the inner ones that had to cross over (or under) the engine (because if you're going to the effort of doing headers like that, you'd be insane not to make them equal length).

All this is an inevitable consequence of the geometry of the crankshaft; the orientation of the crank journals, and the consequent timing of the piston arriving at the top of the cylinder, means that any workable firing order will have those 2 pairs of same-bank cylinder firings. There's no getting around it.

A flat-plane crank doesn't have these issues; it's the same geometry as a 4-cylinder crank, just with 2 pistons on each journal instead of 1. Ferrari uses the Ford-style numbering; its firing order is:

1-5-3-7-4-8-2-6

Each opposed pair fires together, 90 degrees apart, in the same 1-3-4-2 as a 4-banger. Avoids all the weird timing issues caused by the crossplane crank, and you can run a simple equal-length header manifold on each bank (tuned to whatever RPM you want) and join them later. Piss easy.

So why do we bother with this crossplane nonsense at all? The answer's already been posted in the thread (vibrations), but there's a bit more to it; I'll do another effortpost later on why the various vibrations happen and what the consequences are.

You could also reverse the flow of the heads, like a Ford diesel or the new BMW V8s.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

If it would actually be allowed on Canadian roads (and I had more than one parking spot) I'd be seriously tempted to get a Lada for shits and giggles.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 218 days!)

El Scotch posted:

If it would actually be allowed on Canadian roads (and I had more than one parking spot) I'd be seriously tempted to get a Lada for shits and giggles.

You'd need both for it. One for replacement parts car.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

All you have to do to fix a broken Lada is hit it in the right spot with a mallet.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 218 days!)

El Scotch posted:

All you have to do to fix a broken Lada is hit it in the right spot with a mallet.

That is gonna take quite awhile.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guinness posted:

I'm guessing a couple thousand over the Golf R. So pushing $40k. But it won't ever come here so it doesn't matter.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

Nah there was some obviously not production ready hypercar thing that looked like they thought that if Mclaren can drop right back in with a catfish on wheels then clearly as long as they made it provide even more catfish per dollar the buyers would come.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Nah there was some obviously not production ready hypercar thing that looked like they thought that if Mclaren can drop right back in with a catfish on wheels then clearly as long as they made it provide even more catfish per dollar the buyers would come.

Which one? There were two.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

That's... the front?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The only reason I'm going to say yes is that's the only way I can imagine the wing mirrors working.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

KillHour posted:

Which one? There were two.

That black...car(?) is hideous, but the red one is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

KillHour posted:

The only reason I'm going to say yes is that's the only way I can imagine the wing mirrors working.

Before you pointed those out I was leaning toward that being a rear view of the car.