Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Wow.

Just, wow.
I'd feel sorry for you but there is no point (and no profit in't).

e:June 1841 the first nationally administered United Kingdom Census held.

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Long johns are pretty comfortable though

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Jedit posted:

Yes, it is. To have your kids stay with you they have to be able to sleep in a private room that isn't yours.

Is this the actual law? If so my dad will be disturbed to learn that he was breaking it when my brother and I were younger. Then again, the reason he broke it is that he's a hoarder and can only use one room of his house at a time due to the others being full of junk, plus he started a bunch of DIY projects and never finished them (resulting in not having a toilet or bath in his home for years at a time), so he was probably violating the law in some other way as well by having us over in his decrepit house.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

EmptyVessel posted:

Wow.

Just, wow.
I'd feel sorry for you but there is no point (and no profit in't).

e:June 1841 the first nationally administered United Kingdom Census held.

I actually agree with your previous points but loving hell you're a dickhead about it.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Jedit posted:

Yes, it is. To have your kids stay with you they have to be able to sleep in a private room that isn't yours.

Is this true? Because if so it's weird that my mate living in a one bedroom council flat with her husband and 2 kids is somehow fine and legal.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

EmptyVessel posted:

^^^Use it a lot in everyday conversation?

Tell me more about this thing you call 'surplus' :allears:

Putting this link here again as it seems some of you have a problem understanding how poverty works and how just being poor can cost you more.

('Comfortable', has there ever been a better word to illustrate the disconnect between poor and well off mind sets? I consider myself pretty drat comfortable even though I am currently wearing biker longjohns cos it's cheaper than running the central heating but that would be soo unacceptable to those only marginally better off.)

I suppose it must get cold up there on the cross sometimes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Vitamin P posted:

Is this true? Because if so it's weird that my mate living in a one bedroom council flat with her husband and 2 kids is somehow fine and legal.
Well, if they're all living there they can hardly be prevented from visiting themselves. However they may be able to appeal for more suitable housing on the grounds of overcrowding.

That should be enough to at least get them on a list for a more suitable house, but with the state of council housing now who knows :smith:

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Here's some stuff about overcrowding

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/68/part/X

But it is really really boring. From what I can tell it depends on whether the child is ten or older, and whether they are considered to be visiting or resident there. I guess that's a difficult call when it's shared access between two parents.

quote:

327 Penalty for occupier causing or permitting overcrowding.

(1)The occupier of a dwelling who causes or permits it to be overcrowded commits a summary offence, subject to subsection (2).

(2)The occupier is not guilty of an offence—

(a)if the overcrowding is within the exceptions specified in section 328 or 329 (children attaining age of 10 or visiting relatives), or

(b)by reason of anything done under the authority of, and in accordance with any conditions specified in, a licence granted by the local housing authority under section 330.

(3)A person committing an offence under this section is liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding [F1level 2] on the standard scale and to a further fine not exceeding [F2one-tenth of the amount corresponding to that level] in respect of every day subsequent to the date on which he is convicted on which the offence continues.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
I was not aware that it was so controversial to define financial comfort as being able to cover your regular living expenses while also setting aside money for the future, having a bit to spend on entertainment, and being able to pay for unforeseeable expenses as and when they arise without having to take on debt or dip into long term savings.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

LemonDrizzle posted:

I was not aware that it was so controversial to define financial comfort as being able to cover your regular living expenses while also setting aside money for the future, having a bit to spend on entertainment, and being able to pay for unforeseeable expenses as and when they arise without having to take on debt or dip into long term savings.

I just thought it was about relative degrees of comfort. Someone barely able to cover expenses is no doubt financially uncomfortable, but less so than someone who hasn't got the luxury of a surplus at all.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

EmptyVessel posted:

^^^Use it a lot in everyday conversation?

I've using 'Farage' to refer to an angry, confused wanker for years now. :smug:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
In latest "trying to out-UKIP UKIP news":

Yvette Cooper Attacks 'Liberal Commentators' Who Don't Want To Talk About Immigration posted:

Yvette Cooper has criticised unnamed "liberal commentators" who, she said, believe it is wrong to talk about immigration.

In a speech today, Labour's shadow home secretary pledged to pay for 1,000 extra border guards by imposing a charge on visitors from the US and 55 other countries.

Cooper took aim at both sides of the migration debate, in a speech seen as part of a move to toughen Labour's line ahead of the general election.

"It isn't racist to be worried about immigration," she said. We do think that its important to think about immigration the same way we talk about jobs and security and the NHS."

"Too often the debate about immigration becomes polarised and unhealthy," she said. "On the one hand we now have an arms race of rhetoric involving the Tories and Ukip over immigration. Ukip are exploiting peoples’ fears, fuelling anxiety and division, and David Cameron is racing to catch up. Between them they promote the idea that immigration is all and always bad, and should always be stopped.

"On the other hand some liberal commentators seem to think talking about immigration at all is reactionary, and concern about immigration is irrational. They give the impression that immigration is all and always good, and should all be encouraged.

She added: "Both sides shout at each other. Neither are right. And most people don’t agree with either of them."

Cooper said Labour "needs to talk more" about public concerns and say action to restore public confidence that illegal entrants are being caught and dealt with is "vital for a progressive approach".

Home secretary Theresa May hit out at Cooper before she had even delivered her speech. "Labour are pretending they can hire 1,000 more immigration staff when their funding model would raise enough money for only 59 new staff members. And as their secret spending review contains plans to cut the Home Office budget, they are being especially dishonest," she said.

"And what's more, by relaxing the Government's immigration reforms, Labour would take Britain backwards and risk a surge in both legal and illegal immigration."

Here's a sneak peek at Labour's billboards next year.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Don't forget this is EmptyVessel, who considers washing as often as once a day to be an extravagance.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yvette Cooper posted:

"On the other hand some liberal commentators seem to think talking about immigration at all is reactionary

It is.

quote:

and concern about immigration is irrational.

It is.

quote:

They give the impression that immigration is all and always good, and should all be encouraged."

It is, and it should.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Apologies for the non-sequitur post incoming. I'm a librarian, and I've started getting really annoyed about the implementation of the new "Universal Credit" benefit system, and I haven't yet seen anything about it in the media.

What has any of that got to do with librarians? Well basically at some point in the last couple years, it was decided that in order to halt the unpopular mass-closures of libraries everywhere, the government would start using us to pick up the slack from other government services in order to save money and justify our existence. The basic idea is that the Universal Credit system is going to be "digital by default", i.e. you pretty much need the internet to fill out your claims or else you will never get any money in a reasonable amount of time. Since roughly 12% of the UK still doesn't have internet access, and a huge portion of those people are benefit claimants, there are a shitload of people left who need the internet to claim benefits but don't/can't/won't have internet access of their own either due to their advanced age, poverty, or learning difficulties. Rather than reform the job centres to be able to cope with the new system, the government has decided that job centres will instead direct people towards local libraries to use our public IT facilities to access their benefits. Great, no decrease in our primary workload, just that now we have to be job centre workers as well as librarians.

Library staff have been "retrained" to supposedly be able to handle this new aspect of our workload, but the implementation is awful. Our training pretty much consisted of being told that we need to be patient with people who can't use the internet, can't hold a mouse, or don't know what a computer is, and guide them through the process of getting to the right website and filling out the forms. Duh. The problem is that people claiming benefits will always have legitimate questions about difficult or confusing parts of the process, which we are totally unqualified to answer, and worse we will be held liable if we answer incorrectly and people don't receive their money. That's what job centres are for. But job centre workers have been told that they are allowed to redirect a certain number of enquiries towards the library to ease their load. What this means in practice, is that some arsehole at my nearest job centre has been redirecting to us all the most "difficult" or "unpleasant" people to help - particularly people with severe learning difficulties. These people have been told that the job centre can't help them at the moment, and they should go to their local library and enquire there. However when they get there, they find that we don't know anything about the process they are involved in, and can't suggest anything better than that they try the job centre again. I feel so sorry for the people who have to put up with this poo poo, particularly the vulnerable ones who are being shafted and bounced back and forth like this. It has only just started to be implemented, with full implementation expected by January 2015, so I guess there's still time to see how it turns out but I'm not optimistic.

Largely on account of this situation, nearly all of the old-style career librarians in my area have quit, because there is pretty much no such thing as a professional librarian any more. Those libraries that have been allowed to stay open have changed beyond all recognition - mine has just adopted supermarket style self-service machines, and you can imagine how well that goes down with our primary userbase of 70yo+ people. For all that, in my area of horrible tory-voting middle-class women that still have the cheek to come and complain vociferously to me about the decline in service quality, all I can do is despair.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

LemonDrizzle posted:

The Guardian had a piece a while back that attitudes have changed so much since the 80's that most people think if you're poor you shouldn't even be able to afford christmas presents for your kids

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
So are all the political parties just going to quietly ignore the report a few weeks ago about EU migrants being a net benefit?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mister Adequate posted:

It is.

It is.

It is, and it should.

That's quite a claim.

Not sure I trust absolutes on either end of the spectrum.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 18, 2014

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown

Shelf Adventure posted:

So are all the political parties just going to quietly ignore the report a few weeks ago about EU migrants being a net benefit?

Yep, apart from any minor ones like Plaid and the SNP who'll use it to score points. Political discourse is dictated by swing seats in middle-class England, so anything that doesn't matter to middle class English people doesn't really get much coverage meaning there won't be a mainstream backlash against not including any figures that don't appeal to what they want.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Regarde Aduck posted:

That's quite a claim.

Not sure I trust absolutes on either end of the spectrum.

Okay there are questions about absorbing a large population boom into given infrastructure, and there are always going to be some individuals who are criminals or whatever, but the first would be a temporary problem that grew less and less severe in a totally open world, whilst the latter is both statistically insignificant and utterly meaningless - plenty of non-immigrants are criminals or whatever as well.

However, it should be noted that I believe in completely open borders, worldwide, for moral reasons before practical ones.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Quick energy-related question chaps; as I understand it, with an Economy 7 meter, the Day meter should only go up during the designated daytime hours, and the Night meter should only go up during the designated night hours (00:30 - 07:30 where I am), right? As in, each meter shouldn't go up at all outside of their hours?

edit: Because in the last three hours both meters have gone up by 2kwh, which I'm pretty sure is not right.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 19, 2014

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Shelf Adventure posted:

No, the tories responded with a piece complaining about kids speaking foreign in schools

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

That was really interesting, thanks

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
My partner also works in a library, and it's every bit as bad as shelf says. They already act as a creche for the many alcoholics, homeless and mentally ill people in the area, but I'm sure when the jobcentre starts redirecting their difficult "customers" along as well it can only become even more rewarding to work in. Most of her actual work is spent dealing with timetables (there are three separate rotas) and registrations for births/deaths, as that's what people do in libraries these days. This week they've also had all the latest IT system updates fail so registrations all have to be done manually and typed up later and take 2-3 times the usual amount of time (after rescheduling all their appointments twice- new parents and the bereaved love being messed around!).

You might ask why she stays there- well, so do I, haven't ever heard a good reason. They definitely haven't received any additional compensation for their ever-increasing roles filling the austerity holes. On the plus side, working for the council means that when you inevitably get signed off work for stress you'll be fully paid for however long that takes. Win-win!!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Squalitude posted:

You might ask why she stays there- well, so do I, haven't ever heard a good reason.

The rewarding warm glow of contributing to our Big Society?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
IDS continues to be possibly the worst human in the UK

BBC News posted:

Government changes to housing benefit should not apply to people whose spare room has been converted into a safe refuge to protect them from a violent ex-partner, lawyers will argue later.

The woman who has brought the case, known only as "A" for her own safety, has been raped, assaulted, harassed and stalked by an ex-partner.

As part of what is called a Sanctuary Scheme, she and her son live in a three-bedroom home in which one room has been specially adapted as a safe and secure space by the police.

Under new rules, the woman and her son receive housing benefit for a two-bedroom property; which means a reduction in income of 14%.

Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith is defending the claim, having unsuccessfully argued at a hearing in June that it should be dismissed.

If only there was a God, we could hold out hope IDS would be struck down by lightning one of these days.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
The time that lady spends languishing in her skiver room could be spent on a job search and handing out her CV to employers!! :colbert:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Royal Mail's profits have decreased by 6% and the CEO is making angry noises about the universal service obligation.

They're still in profit by 200 million plus so they're basically demanding the government make them more profitable.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Phoon posted:

Royal Mail's profits have decreased by 6% and the CEO is making angry noises about the universal service obligation.

They're still in profit by 200 million plus so they're basically demanding the government make them more profitable.

I live in one of the areas that is unprofitable (not quite a Scottish island but any time you want something delivered they tell you it is) and I'm fully expecting that by next christmas our post will be once a week dropped at the end of Loch Lomond.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

mfcrocker posted:

History grads are very sought after for research skills. They make good barristers, for example

No fucker is soughting after me.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith is defending the claim, having unsuccessfully argued at a hearing in June that it should be dismissed.

The government says it has made nearly £350m available for local authorities to help in such cases.

So what's the deal with this? Is it not being spent to subsidise people like this? Is it not enough money to handle the demand? Is Smith just lying through his teeth about this money existing for this purpose?

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I live in one of the areas that is unprofitable (not quite a Scottish island but any time you want something delivered they tell you it is)
Oban? I'm sure they tried to pull that one in the past.

Darth Walrus posted:

Is Smith just lying through his teeth?

It's usually safe to assume this.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Semprini posted:

Oban? I'm sure they tried to pull that one in the past.

The island thing? It's because we have the same postcode as Lismore I think (and probably Kerrera) but yeah, when we first moved here and it was phoning to order stuff from companies rather than the internet we'd always get told that delivery would take up to 6 weeks and cost £40 more "because we live on an island". Now there's a depressing amount of people on ebay that won't let you even place an order if you have a Scottish Highlands postcode. I don't even mind paying a bit more for postage if its the choice between that and not being able to buy stuff at all but if the universal service goes I can see us getting completely hosed over.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

How will the 'mansion' tax determine the value of properties? We have put off council tax rebanding but something similar will need to happen to determine which properties are taxable, I would guess.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darth Walrus posted:

So what's the deal with this? Is it not being spent to subsidise people like this? Is it not enough money to handle the demand? Is Smith just lying through his teeth about this money existing for this purpose?

Smith's not subtle enough to lie, it's why he failed as Tory leader. He's banally evil and puts me in mind of nothing so much as Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

britishbornandbread posted:

No fucker is soughting after me.

Sorry to hear it :smith: admittedly my ex (who was a history grad) is in a similar position - her coursemates have done alright though.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

notaspy posted:

How will the 'mansion' tax determine the value of properties? We have put off council tax rebanding but something similar will need to happen to determine which properties are taxable, I would guess.

http://www.labour.org.uk/blog/entry/six-things-you-need-to-know-about-labours-mansion-tax

Tax uses very wide bands (first one goes from 2M up to 3M) based on current value, not fixed in the past like council tax.
Owner submits self declaration to HMRC. Valuation will only required if there's a disagreement here. Declared £2,999,999.99 say.
Cut off automatically rises with average price rise of £2M+ properties (not inflation) so band won't change year on year for the majority of payees.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Cerv posted:

http://www.labour.org.uk/blog/entry/six-things-you-need-to-know-about-labours-mansion-tax

Tax uses very wide bands (first one goes from 2M up to 3M) based on current value, not fixed in the past like council tax.
Owner submits self declaration to HMRC. Valuation will only required if there's a disagreement here. Declared £2,999,999.99 say.
Cut off automatically rises with average price rise of £2M+ properties (not inflation) so band won't change year on year for the majority of payees.

I see no problem with trusting rich folks to be honest (deep sarcasm). Not a bad start, and I was hoping there would be a progressive bit to it which they are understandably coy about.

Thank you for the link.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mfcrocker posted:

History grads are very sought after for research skills. They make good barristers, for example

You misspelled barista.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Really? Is everyone getting this loving crazy:

Think-tank survey finds 'shrill' liberal critics of tougher immigration laws are driving voters to Ukip

A quarter of Britons believe all immigrants should be returned to their home countries, according to a new poll by a think-tank.

A survey conducted for British Future found 25 per cent of people agreed that the government should “insist that all immigrants should return to the countries they came from, whether they’re here legally or illegally”.

A small majority – 52 per cent – disagreed with the statement, while the remainder neither agreed nor disagreed, in a poll of 2,000 adults by ICM.

The poll also found that Nigel Farage, the Ukip leader, was the most trusted politician on the subject of immigration.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/11238754/Quarter-of-Britons-say-all-immigrants-should-leave.html

• Locked thread