Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I heard that SyFy is trying to move back into actual sci fi stuff with some space shows next year, but I can't recall anything specific beyond one about a generation ship launched in the 60's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My only exposure to JMS is the incredibly lovely Superman run that completely misunderstood the character. The idea of legions of turbonerds praising his tv baby is baffling to me.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My only exposure to JMS is the incredibly lovely Superman run that completely misunderstood the character. The idea of legions of turbonerds praising his tv baby is baffling to me.

Also because it did arc-based TV in a way that not even very many modern shows have attempted. It didn't always succeed, but it's still really unique in just how committed it was to its arcs.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My only exposure to Orson Welles is the incredibly lovely frozen peas advert. The idea of legions of people praising Touch of Evil is baffling to me

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Go watch Citizen Kane to even that view of him out.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

My only exposure to the Seventh Doctor is Time and the Rani, why do people like The Curse of Fenric

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

grilldos posted:

Go watch Citizen Kane to even that view of him out.

I think the frozen peas thing is loving awesome and makes me like Orson Welles as much as any "serious" work he's done.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I think the frozen peas thing is loving awesome and makes me like Orson Welles as much as any "serious" work he's done.

Me too but imagine if all you knew of Shatner was his Priceline commercials.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

grilldos posted:

"What an adorable chubby-cheeked old man"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

In case anyone is wondering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uWW--w4SRs

Wait, no. This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1PJTY9AVA

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

grilldos posted:

I wouldn't know he was a sexist rear end in a top hat? I get what you're saying, but you keep picking terrible examples...

What if you only knew Matthew McConaughey from Sahara?

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Babylon 5 is the only good thing JMS ever did.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Umm no...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I dunno man, witnessing JMS's lovely political views, tantrums, and ultimate walkout over the course of a year7 months seems pretty indicative of the man's personality/talent.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I wouldn't know he was a sexist rear end in a top hat? I get what you're saying, but you keep picking terrible examples...

What if you only knew Matthew McConaughey from Sahara?

I had one example and it sounds like you're saying never seeing Shatner as Kirk would be just fine. Is that what you're saying?

I guess you're right.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrL_JaKiri posted:

My only exposure to Orson Welles is the incredibly lovely frozen peas advert. The idea of legions of people praising Touch of Evil is baffling to me

:golfclap:

I've never seen Citizen Kane but Transformers: the Movie was terrible

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Isn't there a show coming out about a generation ship launched in the 60's? That sounds interesting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Considering all the behind the scenes stuff between JMS and Michael O'Hare, I think JMS has earned a ton of latitude towards other things.

I mean, seriously, go watch the interview he did after O'Hare's death. It's really touching how much he did for O'Hare to ensure that his mental issues didn't immediately tank his career.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Tighclops posted:

I heard that SyFy is trying to move back into actual sci fi stuff with some space shows next year, but I can't recall anything specific beyond one about a generation ship launched in the 60's.

They're doing a number of "actual" SF series, including adapting Asimov's Foundation novels and James S. A. Corey's "Expanse" series (Corey being the pseudonym of George R. R. Martin's personal assistant and some other guy named Daniel Abraham). The Expanse books are pretty good, I'm cautiously optimistic.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Is that guy who looks like Trevor Goodchild going undercover in the Ghostbusters supposed to be Egon?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Vagabundo posted:

Is that guy who looks like Trevor Goodchild going undercover in the Ghostbusters supposed to be Egon?

Yeah. That never made sense to me either.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
A blonde Egon with a rat-tail, no less.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Kira: "Now that you have another pip on your collar, does that mean I can't disagree with you anymore."
Captain Sisko: "No, it just means I'm never wrong."

About loving time!

Edit: holy poo poo, they're doing the blood bit from The Thing, this episode is rad. I'm pausing the episode while I type this because going by the look on Bashir's face, if he didn't perform some quick sleight of hand to frame Eddington because he's really the Changeling I'll eat my hat.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 19, 2014

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Somebody better pick up that phone because I loving CALLED IT.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Talking poo poo about Babylon 5 is like a teenager thinking he's got all the answers and everyone should just be a libertarian. Disliking B5 is a sign of a feeble and underdeveloped mind.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Prison Warden posted:

Somebody better pick up that phone because I loving CALLED IT.

:allears:

Mister Adequate posted:

Talking poo poo about Babylon 5 is like a teenager thinking he's got all the answers and everyone should just be a libertarian. Disliking B5 is a sign of a feeble and underdeveloped mind.

:hfive:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Plus, B5's soundtrack had crazy synths that were all like dyrrrr, neer nerr duuun dun dunnn and it was lame and awesome all at once. The keyboards in our lovely "music lab" in high school had more realistic sounding brass than this show

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Synth? No no, my friend, Babylon 5 was scored by the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
HELL YES THE SON OF MOGH UP IN THIS BITCH

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I dunno man, witnessing JMS's lovely political views, tantrums, and ultimate walkout over the course of a year7 months seems pretty indicative of the man's personality/talent.

Hey man, if you want to skip out on one of the classic science fiction series of all times because of the showrunner's performance in a different medium twenty years later? That's on you. I'm just here to tell you that, despite a shaky first season, some poorly cast guest stars, a very '90s design aesthetic, and the occasional clunker of an episode, Babylon 5 still holds up twenty years later. It holds up as well as DS9, and better than TNG.

If you're willing to take a pass on it because you're pissed about the man's politics or the way his Superman run ended? Well, there's nothing else I can do for you. :sigh:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

jng2058 posted:

Hey man, if you want to skip out on one of the classic science fiction series of all times because of the showrunner's performance in a different medium twenty years later? That's on you. I'm just here to tell you that, despite a shaky first season, some poorly cast guest stars, a very '90s design aesthetic, and the occasional clunker of an episode, Babylon 5 still holds up twenty years later. It holds up as well as DS9, and better than TNG.

If you're willing to take a pass on it because you're pissed about the man's politics or the way his Superman run ended? Well, there's nothing else I can do for you. :sigh:

Hell, I'd say it's more relevant to today than it was 20 years ago.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Synth? No no, my friend, Babylon 5 was scored by the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra.

Don't laugh, but I looked this up because of you.

It was a mixture of synths and the "Berlin Symphonic Film Orchestra", which was founded by the show's composer Christopher Franke in 1991

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Prison Warden posted:

HELL YES THE SON OF MOGH UP IN THIS BITCH

You are getting drat close to making me watch through DS9 again

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

So no-one's going to comment on the irony of dismissing someone's work because they might be a bad human being in the Star Trek thread?

Also yeah the stuff he did for Michael O'Hare was really noble in a way that television producers never ever are.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Holy hell, Worf is suggesting poo poo to do on the bridge of the Defiant and Sisko is actually listening to him and telling him to fire at will and junk! Is this some kind of alternate dimension?

Thinking on it, he's won every fight he's been in in this two parter. So bizarre.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Jeremiah was alright.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

The geopolitical aspects of Mass Effect stop making sense at the end of the first game. The second game has Humanity under attack by a creepy unknown alien race, and the Citadel doesn't do anything about it. The third sees the two strongest military powers (Humanity and the Turians) attacked and invaded by space Cthulhu, and the Citadel...does nothing.

It makes perfect sense as long as you believe that the alien governments are fallible. Ashley even predicts exactly what happens: when the reapers come the Asari and Salarians try to fob the brunt of the cost onto the Turians and Humans motivated by fear and denial. They should have honored their commitments but didn't. The Citadel Council is a failing collective defense organization. It's not implausible at all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Prison Warden posted:

Holy hell, Worf is suggesting poo poo to do on the bridge of the Defiant and Sisko is actually listening to him and telling him to fire at will and junk! Is this some kind of alternate dimension?

Thinking on it, he's won every fight he's been in in this two parter. So bizarre.

Welcome to DS9, Worf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

I really liked his Spidey up through Book of Ezekiel, before the constant editorial mandates broke his spirit and he never finished a run again.

In other news, a buddy of mine (over a game of Eclipse) turned to me and asked if I had heard Ron Moore died. It turns out that Ron Moore did not die, so let's all be grateful about that.

• Locked thread