Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

And at no point does he ever act in any way other than fatherly. Right up until the end when she's all "nooo I can't graduate and move forward with my life apart from you we must marry! :byodame: and he goes " well OK. That seems reasonable" :geno: Literally all of their characterization goes out the window, it's ridiculous.

gently caress all that though. The anime rules, and I'm happy to have bought it on bluray.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

icantfindaname posted:

Isn't Usagi Drop josei? Why would a josei have something like that? :wtf:
The agreed-on first novel was written by a woman, and featured a dude who grooms a girl from a young age to be his perfect woman.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

The agreed-on first novel was written by a woman, and featured a dude who grooms a girl from a young age to be his perfect woman.

Romantic

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Do you guys have any recommendations on stuff similar in theme/quality to The Girl Who Leapt Through Time?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Razzled posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations on stuff similar in theme/quality to The Girl Who Leapt Through Time?

Have you seen Hasoda's other films? Summer Wars, Wolf Children, etc.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Paracelsus posted:

You're neglecting to mention that he chose that girl specifically for her resemblance to her aunt, aka the dude's stepmother and primary love interest who happens to look a lot like his mom. :v:

I didn't particularly care for the Tale of Genji, but at least it never went in the way of one anime adaptation that changed Murasaki's personality from one who got seriously upset over getting tricked into a relationship to one that was all "I love you, big brother!"

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Hello,

I've not watched a ton of anime but I'm looking for something new to watch. I've watched and really enjoy Cowboy Beebop, Space Dandy, Puella Magi Modoka Magica, and Devil is a Part-Timer and the first / much better half of Death Note in the recent past.

I'd prefer something action and/or comedy and nothing super serious if possible. I was thinking about Tiger and Bunny, but I don't know much about it other than what is on the wiki and I'm open to suggestions.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The first half of Tiger and Bunny is pretty much like that, but the second half gets all 90s for a while. Still good, just, it gets kinda heavy. For Tiger and Bunny, anyway. Mind control and dark betrayals and poo poo.

I will suggest Baccano!, however, which is hilarious and action-packed but potentially a bit confusing timeline-wise, since it's running like three different events all going on at different times but intercut with each other. Also it's amazing and everyone should watch it. You might also enjoy Black Lagoon, which is basically Anime Does Quentin Tarantino. (without the foot thing.)

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Substandard posted:

Hello,

I've not watched a ton of anime but I'm looking for something new to watch. I've watched and really enjoy Cowboy Beebop, Space Dandy, Puella Magi Modoka Magica, and Devil is a Part-Timer and the first / much better half of Death Note in the recent past.

I'd prefer something action and/or comedy and nothing super serious if possible. I was thinking about Tiger and Bunny, but I don't know much about it other than what is on the wiki and I'm open to suggestions.

Tiger and Bunny is both fun and good. A Certain Magical Index/Scientific Railgun may also be up your alley, but Index is very much enjoy it or dislike it. Railgun's really fun though.

EDIT: Seconding Black Lagoon, another fun as hell series.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Black Lagoon is great but it gets verrrry dark, pretty much from the get go. Great Dub though.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Substandard posted:

Hello,

Action and comedy/not super serious? Hellsing Ultimate, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and Black Lagoon. Maybe Terra Formars if you're willing to wait for the uncensored version?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Watch Dirty Pair starring Kei and Yuri.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Substandard posted:

Hello,

Why not check out episode 25 of Gintama? Gintama as a whole takes a while to get rolling, but its jokes are great when they hit. It's billed as a comedy, but I honestly enjoy the action or drama-oriented short arcs more when they show up. I think episode 25 itself would be a good primer based on one of your previous interests because it won't one of the many references that would fly over your head. :v:

I get the feeling that I'm the only one who liked the post-time skip stuff in Death Note, which I think is mostly because I only watched the anime years after I read the manga. It's obviously weaker than what came before, but I kind of appreciate how Light becomes less on top of things because of not having an intellectual equal to worry about on top of general insanity deterioration. The anime is also much better about the pacing, but it seems like people always refer to Death Note with the manga in mind, since the "second half" in the anime is 8 of 33 episodes.

Post-time skip also had more pretty people, which I liked because I am shallow and a piece of trash.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

Why not check out episode 25 of Gintama? Gintama as a whole takes a while to get rolling, but its jokes are great when they hit. It's billed as a comedy, but I honestly enjoy the action or drama-oriented short arcs more when they show up. I think episode 25 itself would be a good primer based on one of your previous interests because it won't one of the many references that would fly over your head. :v:

I get the feeling that I'm the only one who liked the post-time skip stuff in Death Note, which I think is mostly because I only watched the anime years after I read the manga. It's obviously weaker than what came before, but I kind of appreciate how Light becomes less on top of things because of not having an intellectual equal to worry about on top of general insanity deterioration. The anime is also much better about the pacing, but it seems like people always refer to Death Note with the manga in mind, since the "second half" in the anime is 8 of 33 episodes.

Post-time skip also had more pretty people, which I liked because I am shallow and a piece of trash.

I like the second part of Death Note, I just feel that it doesn't quite maintain the same pacing the first part had, nor does the viewer get quite as invested in the relationship between Light and Near/Mello since there really isn't much of one, especially compared to Light and L's natural chemistry. That being said, the main reason I like it is with that kind of series, the payoff isn't in the protagonist achieving his goals, it's watching it all fall apart, and that's where part 2's strength lies. It falls apart for Light and it falls apart hard

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I've actually seen Black Lagoon as well and really liked it although it has been a while. That was the first anime series I ever watched in its entirety.

I haven't seen any of the others though, so I'll probably go ahead with Tiger & Bunny and also check out Baccano! and A Certain Scientific Railgun, and maybe JoJo as well since I hear such continuously great things about it.

I am intrigued by Gintama, but the 100+ episodes are intimidating. I've really only seen shorter series with the exception of the occasional Bleach episode. What if I like episode 25? I'll try it but I'm dubious of that type of commitment.

I think Death Note is honestly a better show if you just stop watching after episode 25. L and the interaction between him and Light is by far the best part of the show, after he is gone I didn't much care for / about Light anymore. . I powered through the end but it was never the same. I don't know if I would have disliked it that much if I hadn't loved the first portion so much.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Substandard posted:

I am intrigued by Gintama, but the 100+ episodes are intimidating. I've really only seen shorter series with the exception of the occasional Bleach episode. What if I like episode 25? I'll try it but I'm dubious of that type of commitment.

Gintama is almost a purely episodic series, aside from the occasional short arc. There are a few episodes where recurring characters or running gags get introduced, but it's really easy to just pick up or drop whenever. You definitely shouldn't feel like you have to watch the entire series in one go or anything. I've gotten up to somewhere in the 70s, but sometimes I go months between watching it with no problems.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
If you end up liking JoJo definitely check out Hellsing Ultimate. It has a pretty similar action/comedy/batshit insanity balance, though it's not really pulled off with quite the same amount of flair and it's got a couple really jarringly dark bits out of nowhere.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Hellsing at its best doesn't hold a candle to JJBA at its worst.

If you watch JJBA, though, keep in mind that "the worst" is front-loaded and lasts nine episodes.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 18, 2014

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Considering all the hype people put behind the show, it took me a long time to get through those first nine eps. They were not at all entertaining. After that, it's golden.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I oughta go back and finish Stardust Crusaders at some point. I kinda stalled out at the end because the monster-of-the-weekiness got to me.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Hellsing at its best doesn't hold a candle to JJBA at its worst.

This is true, but there's a finite amount of JoJo (especially since they're watching the anime) and I figure they'll want something to scratch the "gory, silly action show with vampires" itch when they run out.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cubemario posted:

Considering all the hype people put behind the show, it took me a long time to get through those first nine eps. They were not at all entertaining. After that, it's golden.

Did you miss the noisy-rear end vampire and the adventures of The Interfering Speedwagon with his humble-pie sidekick? :razz:

I know it's a small chore to get through a few of those episodes, but saying they're not at all entertaining seems like a stretch. Of course, episode 10 summarily makes up for it, because watching the buff version of Bugs Bunny never gets old. :allears:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Substandard posted:

The good thing is, it's actually not much of a commitment! I'd compare it to something like the Simpsons in that sure there are a lot of episodes but most of the time you're not watching to find out what happens next, you're watching for some good laffs.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

The first half of Tiger and Bunny is pretty much like that, but the second half gets all 90s for a while. Still good, just, it gets kinda heavy. For Tiger and Bunny, anyway. Mind control and dark betrayals and poo poo.

I will suggest Baccano!, however, which is hilarious and action-packed but potentially a bit confusing timeline-wise, since it's running like three different events all going on at different times but intercut with each other. Also it's amazing and everyone should watch it. You might also enjoy Black Lagoon, which is basically Anime Does Quentin Tarantino. (without the foot thing.)

If you end up liking Baccano!, follow it up with Durarara!!, the spiritual sequel.

On the Space Dandy/Bebop note, you might like Trigun.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I've increasingly grown to feel DRRR just isn't as good - it's still a good, fun romp, mind. Just Baccano is better.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Oh, if you watch Baccano, you gotta watch it with the dub for da great Brooklyn accents.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mors Rattus posted:

I've increasingly grown to feel DRRR just isn't as good - it's still a good, fun romp, mind.

It doesn't have anywhere near as neat and tidy of an ending, which is ironic considering how Baccano! is bookended with speeches about the non-existence of tidy endings. :v:

I have high hopes for the second season, though. (Not founded in anything in particular, I haven't read the books.)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mors Rattus posted:

I've increasingly grown to feel DRRR just isn't as good - it's still a good, fun romp, mind. Just Baccano is better.

Durarara's second half was definitely a lot weaker than the first.

I feel like the best episodes are the OVAs. They got a good mix of action and comedy, and the plotlines are neatly kept self-contained per each episode.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm gonna be That Guy and just say that Substandard should also watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Like the thread title suggests. It's not as action-packed as some of the other things he's seen but it's outstanding nonetheless.

It's the best anime ever made and probably one of the best overall TV shows ever made and everyone should watch it.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
So I just finished up Kaiba and Tatami Galaxy, they both told really interesting stories and had extremely satisfying endings (Tatami Galaxy moreso). I also watched Steins;Gate which I thought had a pretty superb ending as well. Without caring about the age, length, genre, etc, what are some movies/shows that have good buildups to really solid finishes like those?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Eureka Seven

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cerious posted:

So I just finished up Kaiba and Tatami Galaxy, they both told really interesting stories and had extremely satisfying endings (Tatami Galaxy moreso). I also watched Steins;Gate which I thought had a pretty superb ending as well. Without caring about the age, length, genre, etc, what are some movies/shows that have good buildups to really solid finishes like those?

Although I feel like a parrot, but From the New World is definitely up your alley. It might be considered a slow burn at first, but you'll be hooked before long. Also, I remember watching Ghost Hound and feeling that it had a really good buildup.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

cerious posted:

FMA: Brotherhood had a great ending. Especially compared to the 2003 series.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Cake Attack posted:

Eureka Seven

always a good suggestion, no matter the criteria, unless you plan to watch while taking a bath

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Cake Attack posted:

Eureka Seven

I've seen this one actually and I will confirm, it's a good show!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Everybody should just watch the original Read Or Die and call it a day.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

The only three series I actually own physical copies of are Cowboy Bebop, Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, and Read or Die. :hf:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The only series I need to own

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So I watched Ping Pong as it was being released. It was my first anime in a long time and now I've decided to see if I can find some more I like, though what I'm looking for might be a little specific.

What I'm looking for is an anime that is very character driven or character focused; where the characters have an actual story arc of some kind and the interactions between them are important to the overall plot (or are the plot entirely, either way.) Genre doesn't matter, although I'd guess drama or some kind of slice of life story would be the best sort for what I'm asking.

I'm also hoping to find something that doesn't have a ton of verbal exposition. My experience with anime is limited, so it may just be my luck, but I hate it when characters basically explain to the audience what literally just happened. I just want some things left unsaid, even if they are strongly implied. Especially if they're strongly implied, since I'd like to not be treated like an idiot by the show I'm watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drifter posted:

I'm damned annoyed that Madman or Siren Visual haven't re-released that in Australia (they've occasionally fatpacked old series, and SV's picked up a few things from Madman's older catalogue for their own), because I've been wanting to watch it for years. I'm still kinda hoping that Universal Studios release it under their Anime Collection. Damned if anyone knows why they've suddenly started releasing anime dvd's here, but hosed if I'm going to complain about finally getting a dvd set of Haibane Renmei and Blu-Ray Serial Experiments Lain :shepspends:.

• Locked thread