Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

keyvin posted:

You have a weird granny.

yeah, who the gently caress wants to use mu4e when gnus works just fine and does usenet too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

too bad it still uses an obsolete file system

at this point in time, all computers use obsolete filesystems by default

pram
Jun 10, 2001
coreos has btrfs :smugmrgw:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

hooray! a half-baked filesystem.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

pram posted:

coreos has btrfs :smugmrgw:

i don't understand the problems that btrfs is supposedly solving

pram
Jun 10, 2001
then i invite you to read the wikipedia page about it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
and then come back and tell us all why its superior tia

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

problem: sun is putting ZFS all over their marketing materials

solution: implement something vaguely similar in functionality but more complicated in internal design

problem: btrfs is taking too long

solution: buy sun

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mr Dog posted:

the problem that btrfs solves is:

* zfs isn't gpl

pram
Jun 10, 2001
r u telling me we could have the worlds most advanced filesystem in the kernel if it wasnt for loving stallman

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Soricidus posted:

the problem that btrfs solves is:

* zfs isn't gpl

that's true, but ZFS also does useful things that weird beardo purists whine about being rampant layering violations and btrfs doesn't, which makes the beardos happy

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

rampant layering violations

Is this a thing that makes the filesystem work good?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Captain Pike posted:

Is this a thing that makes the filesystem work good?
tldr: yes

its actually a lazy mischaracterization of how ZFS works by beardos who didn't bother to understand it

standard 1970s filesystems design has your block device which can randomly read or write fixed sized chunks and your filesystem built on top of that

logical volume management complicates that up a bit by composing multiple block devices together in interesting ways, but the filesystems are still built entirely around randomly reading or writing fixed sized chunks (even if the LVM is secretly doing RAID or thin provisioning or spanning multiple devices or whatever behind your filesystems back)

ZFS adds a bunch of useful verbs (like copy on write or explicit RAID-like IO behavior on individual chunks, etc.) to the standard block device paradigm, and then builds a filesystem on top of that that uses those verbs directly instead of limiting itself to randomly reading or writing fixed sized chunks. it also combined the LVM tools together with the filesystem tools because keeping them separate adds additional administrative complexity for no reason (particularly when your OS supports exactly one type of filesystem on your one type of LVM). beardos hate this.

btrfs is actually built around a novel and interesting design (B+trees can't do COW because of the side links in the leaf nodes, Ohad Rodeh at IBM figured out how to do COW with B-trees), but it ends up being even more of a layer violation than ZFS and after seven years it is still immature both in performance and reliability

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

kill all beardos

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Mr Dog posted:

the problem with ssl is it tries to be all things to all people and generally has way too many knobs on it (much like your mother etc etc)

something that important should be a lot easier to lock down by virtue of not supporting a whole bunch of bogus configurations

also CAs are a loving racket but you knew that already

if you require somebody to be competent and give a gently caress while setting things up to be secure then guess what, 99% of the internet is going to be insecure because the people whose job it is to secure poo poo are, more often than not, doing the absolute minimum possible amount of work they can to not get fired (or "managed out", whatever)

supposedly NaCL is the new hotness crypto-wise, but that's a library for replacing PGP, not SSL, and anyway it uses a totally hardcoded ciphersuite that also happens to be brand new and sorely lacking much of a proven track record so once somebody discovers an attack for it ur hosed

Thats the whole point though is that SSL should be so piss-easy that you don't have to think about it at all. If everyone important got on the same page about this we could have the following worked out in like 2 weeks:

1) Apache/nginx/IIS all create self-signed certificates on the fly whenever a clear text communication would take place.

2) Web browsers accept self-signed certificates without making GBS threads themselves about how insecure everything is.

It kills me that you get no warning from a modern browser for submitting data in cleartext but you get sirens and poo poo if you try to use a self-signed certificate.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Salt Fish posted:

2) Web browsers accept self-signed certificates without making GBS threads themselves about how insecure everything is.

you still need some semblance of this, like if you are at starbucks and convince somebody that you have a self-signed cert for citibank

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

That's because transmitting data with no security is a valid use case but there's never a reason to use a self-signed certificate because they're vulnerable to MITM.

Somebody actually using a self-signed cert is a reasonable signal that you're the victim of an attack in progress.

It'd be more useful if browsers complained at you before you submit credit card numbers or passwords in the clear.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol self signed certs arent the answer. theyre already making a free CA anyway

https://letsencrypt.org/

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you still need some semblance of this, like if you are at starbucks and convince somebody that you have a self-signed cert for citibank

We currently don't have warnings about cleartext connections so why do we need them for self-signed connections?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

We currently don't have warnings about cleartext connections so why do we need them for self-signed connections?

because one of them is shown as implicitly 'secure' to the user

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

That's because transmitting data with no security is a valid use case but there's never a reason to use a self-signed certificate because they're vulnerable to MITM.

Somebody actually using a self-signed cert is a reasonable signal that you're the victim of an attack in progress.

It'd be more useful if browsers complained at you before you submit credit card numbers or passwords in the clear.

Cleartext is objectively worse than self-signed. You can man in the middle even easier with cleartext. There is no reason to ever use cleartext.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Salt Fish posted:

in any situation that this is legitimately necessary for poo poo, and the (company in this example) is signing certs for internal use poo poo and needs to have browsers not "making GBS threads themselves" all they need to do is create a CA and sign the certs against it and push the root to your corp machines

its not rocket science

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

pram posted:

because one of them is shown as implicitly 'secure' to the user

No, the presentation to the user is:

self-signed <<<<<<<<< cleartext < signed

Which is obviously wrong because its really:

cleartext < self-signed < signed

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Cleartext is objectively worse than self-signed. You can man in the middle even easier with cleartext. There is no reason to ever use cleartext.

Cleartext is known a priori to be insecure, self-signed is just as insecure but gives a completely false sense of security.

The only way it'd be useful is if the browser UI just treated it as being cleartext, except the only time it shows up on the current Internet is when a MITM attack is in progress so browser UIs are even more hostile to the concept.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Salt Fish posted:

No, the presentation to the user is:

self-signed <<<<<<<<< cleartext < signed

Which is obviously wrong because its really:

cleartext < self-signed < signed

that's not true though.

in 15 minutes i could have a server set up to respond as citibank.com with a cert that says i AM citibank.com self signed and (via dns hijack or whathaveyou) end up with your requests and you would want to know that the poo poo ain't actually vouched for by anyone.

cleartext at least you're at the mercy of your own awareness and trusting that you are actually connected to the correct destination.. if you add a self signed cert behind that it makes the enduser aware that "wait something is fishy here" at the least...

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cleartext is known a priori to be insecure, self-signed is just as insecure but gives a completely false sense of security.

The only way it'd be useful is if the browser UI just treated it as being cleartext, except the only time it shows up on the current Internet is when a MITM attack is in progress so browser UIs are even more hostile to the concept.

No it isn't, you're making a strawman argument about some fictional "public at large" character that doesn't exist. You're assuming that there is no way imaginable that a browser could delineate between different levels of security for the end user. Your argument is clearly wrong because you're simultaneously assuming that the public at large knows that cleartext is insecure which I believe strongly is false.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
they know. because secure sites have a green lockpad

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

pram posted:

they know. because secure sites have a green lockpad

Right. The browser is designed to seamlessly communicate to the end-user how secure the connection is. That is how it should be. Now go use chrome of FF or whatever and visit these 3 types of sites:

1) cleartext
2) self-signed
3) signed

And you will be able to observe that the browser communicates to you that self-signed is less secure than cleartext which it isn't. If we could get rid of this problem of communicating to users we could configure web servers very easily to encrypt all internet traffic automatically. It would be a trivial detail compared to getting browsers to play along.

Imagine this, red bar crossed out for cleartext, yellow bar with an open padlock for self-signed, green bar with locked padlock for signed. Now we upgrade our servers and all our pages go from red to yellow.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
you seem really in love with your opinion so keep fuckin' that chicken i guess.

but even your average grandma knows that, like pram said, "when i go to my bank it shows the padlock and turns green" means "im not going to get hacked"

the simple truth is if you make it easy to make that padlock show up with a self signed cert/key pair then grandma would be fukken lost

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

secure sites have a padlock and maybe a green banner of some sort in the address bar. insecure sites don't.

self-signed sites are insecure, so they won't get the padlock and definitely not the green banner. as far as the public is concerned, self-signed sites aren't secure.

except: self-signed sites only show up in the wild when you are the victim of a MITM attack, so browsers correctly treat them even worse than standard insecure sites

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The solution to the CA racket is DANE (EC or RSA public keys published in DNS and secured by DNSSEC), combined with a dead simple security protocol that uses said public key to perform a signed DH or ECDH negotiation and pick a symmetric ciphersuite for use with that DH-negotiated session key

no X.509 monstrosity required and no compression bullshit or TCP-keepalive-reinventing bullshit to get owned by

bam, done. For whatever reason though DANE isn't getting any traction

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

Right. The browser is designed to seamlessly communicate to the end-user how secure the connection is. That is how it should be. Now go use chrome of FF or whatever and visit these 3 types of sites:

1) cleartext
2) self-signed
3) signed

And you will be able to observe that the browser communicates to you that self-signed is less secure than cleartext which it isn't. If we could get rid of this problem of communicating to users we could configure web servers very easily to encrypt all internet traffic automatically. It would be a trivial detail compared to getting browsers to play along.

Imagine this, red bar crossed out for cleartext, yellow bar with an open padlock for self-signed, green bar with locked padlock for signed. Now we upgrade our servers and all our pages go from red to yellow.

self signed certs are not secure

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Salt Fish posted:

1) cleartext
2) self-signed
3) signed

dude what the gently caress.

most of the internet is clear text and doesnt need to be anything more secure.

encryption exists to prevent people from reading the poo poo you send to a server and get back. i dont care about that when i'm streaming netflix that every video chunk is encrypted or when i browse a public forum that my posts are sent encrypted before they are displayed in clear text.

scaring everyone with a giant red X when you're using normal rear end websites is retarded

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The real solution is to disconnect from the internet.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

The solution to the CA racket is DANE (EC or RSA public keys published in DNS and secured by DNSSEC), combined with a dead simple security protocol that uses said public key to perform a signed DH or ECDH negotiation and pick a symmetric ciphersuite for use with that DH-negotiated bulk key

no X.509 monstrosity required

bam, done. For whatever reason though DANE isn't getting any traction

pram posted:

lol self signed certs arent the answer. theyre already making a free CA anyway

https://letsencrypt.org/

pram
Jun 10, 2001
guys theyre making a free CA with a repo you can automatically install the certs with. u guys are complaining for nothing

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

pram posted:

self signed certs are not secure

They're more secure than cleartext. The only metric you could possibly use for declaring them 'not secure' is if your goal is perfect security which flatly does not exist.

Sniep posted:

dude what the gently caress.

most of the internet is clear text and doesnt need to be anything more secure.

encryption exists to prevent people from reading the poo poo you send to a server and get back. i dont care about that when i'm streaming netflix that every video chunk is encrypted or when i browse a public forum that my posts are sent encrypted before they are displayed in clear text.

scaring everyone with a giant red X when you're using normal rear end websites is retarded

It does need to be more secure as it would raise the cost of bulk data collection to the point of making it impossible. It's 2014 there is no reason to use cleartext for any service.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 19, 2014

pram
Jun 10, 2001
there is no CA to revoke them

pram
Jun 10, 2001
u can spoof other domains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

They're more secure than cleartext. The only metric you could possibly use for declaring them 'not secure' is if your goal is perfect security which flatly does not exist.

They are not. This is inarguable.

Please stop posting and kill you are self.